Katchkan

What level of a crocheter are you?

I'd have to say moderate for myself. Though I can do thread, or at least the one pattern I tried I had no problem, but I probably won't again, my hands shake too much to find crocheting thread enjoyable. Maybe advanced beginner though since I have issues with figureing out patterns sometimes.

I've been crocheting for 23 years, but I'd still call myself a beginner. I've never done a wearable that required shaping and I just started making doilies in the past year. I would like to learn tunisian crochet and possibly how to make a sweater sometime in the future, but anything that says "expert" or "advanced" on the pattern doesn't really interest me at all.

I'm not sure if I'm a beginner or an advanced beginner. OK, after reading all the other posts, I put myself back to beginner. All I can do is follow easy patterns, chain, sc, half-double, and double. I'm learning as I go. I still have to check out how to do increase and decrease on the net anytime before I do them. So yeah, I'm a beginner.

advanced beginner to intermediate.

it's hard to say without some sort of formula. i gave myself this rating because i am really good at following patterns and have made lots of cute things without patterns. i have never written a pattern, though, and i think that would be a big step.

:think A moderate/intermediate? I can read patterns and charts. I understand most stitches. (I understand bullion and love knots, but making them is another thing.) I've made up a couple of my own simple patterns. I've changed other people's patterns to what I wanted. I do not know how to irish crochet.

But I am wondering, Ms. Kathy what level do you consider yourself at?

Whatever the mood is at the time. Sometimes I want a piece that takes no intellegence and at other times I whip up something difficult. Not sure what level that would be.

I consider myself an advanced crocheter since I have been crocheting since 1971 except to the patterns of changing colors and I am a 'wimp'. I think I have a mental block and avoid these like the plague. One day I am going to do it but 'just not today'.

Same as above :lol.

:think A moderate/intermediate? I can read patterns and charts. I understand most stitches. (I understand bullion and love knots, but making them is another thing.) I've made up a couple of my own simple patterns. I've changed other people's patterns to what I wanted. I do not know how to irish crochet.

But I am wondering, Ms. Kathy what level do you consider yourself at?

I quess I would have to class myself as an advanced crocheter. I have designed doilies, clothing, toys, and more. There isn't a stitch that scares me. If I don't know it, I know I can learn it. I love challenging myself. Edited by Katchkan

Holy Moly!! I actually thought:think my double thick potholder was pretty good so I was going to say "I am a beginner"..Well am I embarassed:blush I have heard some words on here that really stumped me..tunisian..irish..bullion..Holy Cow..I actually had to look some of these up to see what they were..I was excited 'cuz I can slst,sc,ch,hdc,dc,tr..and put them all together:yay..Guess I better start off with Pre-beginner..:rofl But I am in awe of all of you:bow

i'd say advanced,

i can read and figure out most patterns and stitches( eventually) and i more often than not alter a pattern i am using to make it easier for me,

( for example- i was making a "coverall sam" it had too many small parts to join so i figured out a way to make one of many- came out pretty good!) :hook

I don't "design" except with color, can't seem to get what is in my head out :(

i'd have to say that im a STUDENT OF CROCHET im just interested in trying anything and everything i dont know how to rate myself.. i have tackled patterns that are of various levels of ability yet ive figured them out..

I classify myself as experienced. I have been doing this for 58 years, but can't say expert as I am still learning new things every day. I have created my own designs, can follow just about any pattern or graph, and love to "tweak" some of the older patterns.

I guess some would say that is advanced, but I don't write down my patterns, and There are many stitches that I can do, but don't like doing them with yarn. The bullion stitch is one I have done for years when doing embroidery, but find it too much of a hassle with yarn. Also some of the so called newer ideas are old ones with new names, and I don't have a handle on all the new names.

I am just an old crocheter who is happy with doing her thing...

i would say advanced.

i've never written out a pattern, but i have made them. I guess it's lazyness.

i haven't tried many types, like tunisian crochet, or broomstick, but i am knowledgable about it.

I'm going to have to say I'm advanced.

I have been at this about 40 years and I've done dolls, doll clothes, baby afghans, big people afghans, etc. I've been at this so long that I remember when Tunisian crochet was called the afghan stitch.

There isn't a stitch I won't try and I know when to ask for help when I'm stuck. I don't give up very easy. I just keep ripping out until I get it right.

I have no desire to learn how to design, except with color. I can and have tweaked designs to suit my needs. I would like to learn how to read a pattern chart. The first time I saw one of those, it blew my leetle mind.

I am glad I started coming back to this forum. Ya'll are great.

Well, I've been crocheting since 1958. I can follow almost any pattern, I can design, write, execute my own patterns/ideas. I have taught crochet to as many as 10 ladies at a time for several years & even taught children. I have crocheted anything that remotely resembles string or fabric strips. I have a bIIIIIIIg stash of hooks & of course I have a stash of yarns also (not so lg. anymore). I guess I'm advanced but I too am always learning new ways of doing things & guess I will be for the rest of my life

i'd say i am advanced....... been crocheting so long that i can remember huge red roses being the thing to make.. every one was doing rose afghans at the time, myself included.

i can read a pattern once, and after the first repetition i usually set the pattern aside and do it from memory.

i think i´m an advanced beginner, because i crocheted in my childhood when i was at the age of 4, then there was no time to do it since now.

and when i started again this year first i had some problems holding the hook but now i´m back at my level from past.

I would consider myself an advanced beginner.

Although I have done some scarves and a granny square mini purse. I am currently working on a purse (my first original pattern).

I figure I am an 'advanced beginner' since I understand enough about the basic stitches that I can create my own pattern. I have even designed a strap for the purse which will be all crochet.

I also think I am an advance beginner since my speed is a lot faster than when I first started. I even amaze myself with my speed. My husband is impressed at how fast i can crochet. Since he taught me I used to think he was fast. Now I am faster than him. Although he only learned to teach me. He made one project for my Grand-Mother.

Edited by Jempast

Definitely beginner...with big dreams!!! I don't have any problem following directions to learn a new stitch, but understanding patterns...another story!

At making afghans and doilies, probably advanced. At making clothing definitely a novice. Some things like toys, handbags, probably determined by the pattern. Wish I had a close group that I could meet with to help with some of the more difficult things that I have problems with. I'm in the process of trying to find folks in my area to set up a group, wish me luck.

Well, let's see. I can usually do the Advanced patterns in Magic Crochet. But I have yet to successfully complete a graph ghan.

I'm probably at the level of an advanced beginner... maybe a little higher. I know all the basic stitches and a few more "advanced" ones (like fans and picots <-just learned that doing my baby blanket). I learn quickly, though, so I like to challenge myself and do more complex patterns. So far, they've come out fairly well. I've also managed to alter a couple patterns to suit my own needs. I altered a doll dress from a pattern designed for a six inch doll, so that it fit my 18 inch doll, for example. I can't imagine how people write their own patterns, though... :D