Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

popping in real quick. got a lot going on. between work, EMT class, kids activities, church, and the BF started his house arrest Thursday. So I have been spending precious time with him. Nice having him closer to us. Our daughter and her bf are over there now spending time with him. Brantley is well. Took him off the meds that paralyzed him and he is now off of the vent and breathing on his own.  Again ty for prayers. 

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow you guys are all awesome!!!

I'd love to know how it's going too! lol I sent out to Jan and Feb as well and March's will all get a puffy from me too! :D

I really like the black and white one :)

I like the black and white one too, lol

everyone is so busy, and out in the weather too, we have just chilly temps here, but reached about 40 today, which is great compared to the last few days....Handyman had a call today for a broken water pipe,  so no water for them, iit will have to be off, till it's fixed, which should be sometime early this coming week, depending on parts and such needed.....Luckily for them, their mom or mom in law, lives across the way, and they will be able to use or obtain some water while they wait, or shower and eat there, perhaps, anyway, nothing to do for it right now, parts must be identified, and found... I would HAte Hate Hate being without water, or electicity, or gas for heat, think of all you can't do without those things, sheesh!!

I know you won gold last week yarnmonkey, lol, i think that is great of you to give away skeins you know you won't need to others that use them, and will give them a good home, my problem however, is , I always think, well, I will probably find a use for that somewhere, lol, and it ends up staying here forever, lol

soooo, not clear, does or does not WUA tatke strips, lol, I will look that up and see, I remember reading that somewhere, about someplace but don't remember where now.

So glad things are working out for you too Dragnlady, bout time, huh, lol and glad little baby Brantly is doing better as well!

Welcome back to you Ms,.Carol, and hello lacey, and bgs, and sopo, and pineknot, and and and, all of you that I forgot already, lol

Tomorrow, new day, second day of March, gotta work on those puffies, lol, and get them out this week, and go to the dollar store,and the grocery store, and and and, hope the weather holds out a few more days, I am soooo done with winter too!!

take care till tomorrow.       

Hi!  I promise to catch up sometime this week with the posts I've missed, but I wanted to thank Viking and cshort for the beautiful squares!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I will give a count this week.  I start my new job tomorrow.  Eeeek!

post-44469-0-94493900-1425264581_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-23126600-1425264590_thumb.jpg

everyone is so busy, and out in the weather too, we have just chilly temps here, but reached about 40 today, which is great compared to the last few days....Handyman had a call today for a broken water pipe,  so no water for them, iit will have to be off, till it's fixed, which should be sometime early this coming week, depending on parts and such needed.....Luckily for them, their mom or mom in law, lives across the way, and they will be able to use or obtain some water while they wait, or shower and eat there, perhaps, anyway, nothing to do for it right now, parts must be identified, and found... I would HAte Hate Hate being without water, or electicity, or gas for heat, think of all you can't do without those things, sheesh!!

I know you won gold last week yarnmonkey, lol, i think that is great of you to give away skeins you know you won't need to others that use them, and will give them a good home, my problem however, is , I always think, well, I will probably find a use for that somewhere, lol, and it ends up staying here forever, lol      

Oooooh, yucky. We had the water line to our house break a few years back and it was NOT fun! Fortunately (if anything could be said to be fortunate in that mess!) the line was between house and street, so the water company came and hooked a second meter to our neighbors' house and jerry-rigged us to that, so we could still have water.

I'm being as ruthless as I think I can be right now with my stash. I'm even letting go some reeeeeally pretty fuzzy yarn with sparkles in it. It reminds me of a summer night sky, but I didn't know what I was going to do with it when I bought it (clearance sale) and I'm no closer to having an idea, so onto the destash board it's going....

I had really wanted to do a few more three inch squares to send Our Maria, but I thought I was out of dark purple yarn, and I'd already sent in my light and variegated for Christmas exchange, so I didn't want to do the same thing again.... Yeah, guess what I found in a box of books I was sorting through. Yup. Big ballof dark purple yarn. I was so mad!  :irk

Wow! I see some beautiful squares. Way to go!

Been busy and went got the boys from their mother. Then got home fed them and getting ready for school tomorrow. What a chore let me tell you. The weather sure is crappy. It's suppose to rain for like three days. Oh I so can't wait for this all to be over with. This weather is crazy.

Thanks to all re: the blankets. Schwan's ice cream, yuuuuummmmmm, my favorite was butter brickle.

Warm Up America will take strips, but I don't know the exact measurements off the top of my head.

I'm thinking 7" x 63"???? And then they use 7 or 9 strips per adult ghan.   I'm hoping to find some yarns in my stash to bust on strips.

OK, off to hookie land!!!!

Black Jack Cherry all the way here! Which is funny because now I don't care for crunchy stuff in my ice cream... although I'd probably still eat Black Jack Cherry till I got sick! Lol Schwan's goes to a couple of houses on our street and I always beg DH to get them to come here. I don't think he had them growing up so he doesn't understand the beauty that is Schwans!  :no

Guys, I have a problem. I designed another blanket. I can't buy more yarn right now!! But I don't have stash for this!!

(Comparing colors vs black and white here. And I wouldn't do it all at once like this; I'd do each in one block and then edge and join them.)

The black and white looks like a later version of With the Beatles... but then the multicolor looks better for that period of Beatles history... Oh, decisions, decisions!! I love them both!!  :manyheart  You have to post it as you work on it because I love it!! 

soooo, not clear, does or does not WUA tatke strips, lol, I will look that up and see, I remember reading that somewhere, about someplace but don't remember where now.

So glad things are working out for you too Dragnlady, bout time, huh, lol and glad little baby Brantly is doing better as well!

Welcome back to you Ms,.Carol, and hello lacey, and bgs, and sopo, and pineknot, and and and, all of you that I forgot already, lol

Tomorrow, new day, second day of March, gotta work on those puffies, lol, and get them out this week, and go to the dollar store,and the grocery store, and and and, hope the weather holds out a few more days, I am soooo done with winter too!!

take care till tomorrow.       

Well I've got gold for the YTD but WTD somebody actually beat me! I think it was Shannart? I don't remember how she did it but she got like 80 something points for last week! I usually hoard my yarn and would shoot dagger eyes at anybody who would suggest me get rid of any of it, but I know with that Caron I just won't use it and I hate to have it sit there and get all disappointed every time I come in and select a different yarn!  :lol

We had a hurricane hit a couple years ago, when I was living with my dad and his girlfriend and we didn't have power for 5 days. It was in August at least, so it wasn't cold out and we survived with the windows open. Fortunately my dad had a propane grill with a regular stove-type burner on it so we boiled water and used the coffee that comes in tea bags (not nearly as good as the real thing, by the way lol) but cold showers at 5:30 in the morning for work were miserable! Every evening I went to DH's (then boyfriend) and took showers at his apartment. He lived across the street from the fire department/rescue squad so I guess they were on the same power grid because he never lost power. Anyway, those were the longest 5 days of my life!!!! Lol! 

Hi!  I promise to catch up sometime this week with the posts I've missed, but I wanted to thank Viking and cshort for the beautiful squares!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I will give a count this week.  I start my new job tomorrow.  Eeeek!

Eeek!! Good luck!!!!  :hug I know you'll do great! And I can't wait to hear all about it! 

Well, I was wrong about when the weather was supposed to hit and it came last night instead.  :( We definitely got the freezing rain! I got up and our bush was sideways again, poor bush. DH still wanted to go meet his friend for dinner but I said no way! No Chinese food and sushi is worth going 30 minutes (in good weather) in the ice when there are accidents all over the interstates. I said I trust his driving, just not all the other idiots out there! So I made dinner here, just Hamburger Helper and some frozen veggies, because my real plan didn't work out - the frozen pie crust just disintegrated when I tried to get it in the pan and my mushrooms had gone bad and I didn't have the patience to smoosh the pie crust back together so I gave up. I did just put a Pineapple Souffle in the oven though... I think it's a super easy version of a souffle though because I've never made one and I think they're supposed to be hard... lol It's in the oven now so we'll see how it is in about 30 minutes. 

DH is off to go gokarting with a friend of his for the friend's birthday tomorrow so I'm off to visit Sister and Peanut. Sister said she's got lunch for us, so I'll bring some of the souffle for dessert. 

I didn't make any square progress last night so I think I'll work on those until bed and then up early to go off to see my sweet Peanut!  :manyheart

Good luck tomorrow Maria! And I hope everyone else has a great Monday!!  :hug

Ugh,very sleepless night,up at 1:30 am,then again at 5: 30,just decided to stay up so this is going to be a very long day

somebody in a neighboring state send some sunshine,pretty please,lol

have a great day everyone.

Ok ladies, I'm not going crazy!!  Yeah!!!  Here is where I got the idea that Warm Up America takes strips!

From WUA's website: IMPORTANT SHIPPING INFO

When possible, we encourage Warm Up America! participants to work with family members, neighbors and friends to complete afghans and distribute them in their own community. When this is not possible, the Council will gladly accept sections, strips or completed afghans. We distribute the completed blankets to social service agencies that contact our office.

Ship to:

Warm Up America!

3740 N. Josey Lane, Suite 102

Carrollton, TX 75007

**************************************************************** :clap

I did start a strip last night that is 7" wide and I'll make it 63" long. (For adult size). I'll make 9 strips, connect them, put a border on, and send the whole ghan to them.

:lol

Lots of news above, and pretty eye candy!! Maria, I'm thinking about you on your first day of work!! You'll love it I'm sure.

Hi to every one!!! :hug

Hello everyone. Some beautiful squares showing up on here. I am behind as usual, but will get puffies out to each bday girl. If the February girls can send me your addresses, that'd be great. :) 

I am working on my friendshipghan now as well. I have it laid out and know this has been asked before.... but tell me what your favorite join method for uneven squares is please. I was thinking of doing join as you go but wasn't completely happy with the comfortghan I did that way. Didn't lay as flat in places as I hoped but may have been something I did wrong. I have also used flat braid join but since this is a black/white afghan being joined by a color, I'd rather have more of the color showing than what that would offer. I found a cone of cotton (they only had one) so hoping it is enough to finish it. 

We got about 5-6" of snow over the weekend, which makes life as we know it shut down here, so today is the first day I've gotten out all weekend. yay! Praying for a better this week than last week for us all. 

omg you guys, I'm the new Bag Lady this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the what?! Can't believe it! So honored to have one of Mary Jo's amazing bags!  :manyheart  

Maria: I hope your first day went well!

Stephanie: I like doing slip stitches when I have an off number as I feel like I can compensate/make up for it easier with a slip stitch. I'm sure there's probably a better way but that's what I do. lol

omg you guys, I'm the new Bag Lady this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the what?! Can't believe it! So honored to have one of Mary Jo's amazing bags! :manyheart

Stephanie: I like doing slip stitches when I have an off number as I feel like I can compensate/make up for it easier with a slip stitch. I'm sure there's probably a better way but that's what I do. lol

Congratulations!!

WOW CONGRATS Glitter!! im so happy for you!!!

Nice eye candy up there as well, wow, and sopo, putting yours together, you will need to change your prefs soon then, if you are about done with collecting the cotton black and white ones, he he he, can't wait to see what you chose!!

Hello to owlvamp, yarnmonkey, maria, ann, dragnlady, sopo and bgs, viking, glitter , yarnscaper, pineknot, carol, and all else I can't remember again now, lol...

Gonna have some eye candy later, \maybe tomorrow, as the light here now is waning quickly, but finished that donation Christmas varigated ghan for chairty, and did a scarf out of a full skein of red white and blue varigaged, called stars and sripes, used the whole 6 oz skein on the scarf, didn't fringe it, don't think I will, but I have yet to take the photos and then I will get them on here for you all to see!!

Went to the grocery store today, and gotta get out tomorrow, and get a new roll of packing tape, and some more manilla envelopes, as I have all the march birthdays now, done and almost packed up, cept I ran out of the tape, lol, so that is on my list tomorrow, to get that done, and mailed!!

I was trying to change some document I typed, on my microsoft word thing, well, the e, was turning out a c, what the what is that about!!!

So i just quit it, closed it, and came here, to see if my e works here, it does, sooooo I dunno, something weird happening with my document, lol

I will try again later me thinks...

well, nothing much else, quiet evening, gonna do some organizing, and petting, of the yarn, and yes yarnmonkey, I know that must make those caron skeins just so sad, never being chosen, it's the right thing you did, finding them a good home, that will adore and use them in something pretty......You my dear, are a caring and loving foster home for some otherwise outcast feeling yarn, so good for you, I salute you!! I vow to either use what I can, or give it away, soon....Scarves are always good, and I like them to be soft, hummmm...lol

in other news, well, I have none, strike that, and moving on... I will try to come back later, gotta fix that document i messed up with some c's, lol    take care all!!!!!

Pretty squares and ghans.

JustAddGlitter congrats on the tote, gosh that's another one of us with one!

sopo I would add rounds to the squares to even them out before putting them together. Then if I didn't use the join as you go I think I would just stitch them together.

Sat dh kept saying it wasn't going to start snowing until 2p or later.  I could have sworn that I heard it could move in about 10 am.  He kept saying we could go into to my sister's and get back okay.  He has got me out before and the ride home on slick roads was not pleasant.  He wanted to go fill up one of the cars so I told him to go ahead and then we would decide what to do. On his drive back the snow started to fall-------10am on the dot.  It snowed all day.  It was a fine dry snow but it did add up to 4 inches.  Then there was a little more snow Sun am.  It warmed up a bit in the afternoon and with all the sunshine a good part of it melted. It was good to get away today for a bit to pick up some more sunflower seeds for the birds.  The main roads are fine and its even melted in places on our snow packed gravel road. 

omg you guys, I'm the new Bag Lady this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the what?! Can't believe it! So honored to have one of Mary Jo's amazing bags!  :manyheart  

Yay!!! Congrats and welcome to the club!  :hug  I can't believe I didn't realize it was already the beginning of the month and haven't checked in over there to see the new bag. I'll do that as soon as I finish this! 

Hello everyone. Some beautiful squares showing up on here. I am behind as usual, but will get puffies out to each bday girl. If the February girls can send me your addresses, that'd be great. :)

I am working on my friendshipghan now as well. I have it laid out and know this has been asked before.... but tell me what your favorite join method for uneven squares is please. I was thinking of doing join as you go but wasn't completely happy with the comfortghan I did that way. Didn't lay as flat in places as I hoped but may have been something I did wrong. I have also used flat braid join but since this is a black/white afghan being joined by a color, I'd rather have more of the color showing than what that would offer. I found a cone of cotton (they only had one) so hoping it is enough to finish it. 

We got about 5-6" of snow over the weekend, which makes life as we know it shut down here, so today is the first day I've gotten out all weekend. yay! Praying for a better this week than last week for us all. 

I usually just sc around each square and then join with with the same color in a sc, so I can count the stitches and see if I need to pick up an extra loop on one square or the other. It's probably not technically right but that's what works for me anyway!  :)

I went to visit Sister and Peanut today and I learned a valuable lesson. Don't wear long sleeves to visit the baby if you have plans after! I have little cheesy handprints all over my sweater! Lol! Lesson learned. Stick with the short sleeves. :yes  He's also started dancing so whenever music comes on the tv, he starts to bounce. So cute!! We had dinner with DH's friend and now we're back home and might watch a movie. 

Tomorrow I'll be back with Sister and Peanut to do some running around and home by myself for dinner, which means breakfast! I only get it when DH is gone because he's not a fan of breakfast food unless it happens before about 10:30 in the morning. I grew up eating breakfast for dinner all the time, so I really miss it! I'm going to make my mom's breakfast casserole! Yum!  :yay

I found a pattern for a little amigurumi elephant I want to make for Peanut, so I'll probably work on that while the movie is on, whatever it is we decide to watch. I hope everyone had a good day! Of course, I'll be back tomorrow! :hug  

Welcome Arlene!!! :welcome

Katy: I sent each Feb birthday a square, so they got at least 3 puffies :clap .

I'm almost done with the March squares...I'm ready for addresses!!

Here is what I have been working on....

The Chevron was suppose to go to Warm Up America for a special project, but it measures too small, so it will go to a baby blanket charity. The square blanket will go to the same baby charity. It is burgundy and the embellishments are suppose to be balloons. I'm sure if I like them :reyes ...Next projects are...a vine for Amy Reader's project, another baby ghan made from squares I knit, March squares (two left to do), and something for Warm Up America i.e. swatches or strips or a whole ghan.

Beautiful blankets!

First off thank you again vikingrunnergirl and cshort for these:

I decided to lay all my pretties out and see what I have. So since I know you all like eye candy :)))

Yes, I love eyecandy these look incredible!

Beautiful squares...

Internet is slightly better but still in and out throughout the day. Yes, I think its the cold weather along with Time Warner!

I havn't done a whole lot this weekend. Was off work but didn't do much but sleep. I feel really tired and just blah for some reason... Didn't even work on my crocheting projects. Didn't want to do anything. I'm hoping its just this weather that has me in a slump..

Welcome Arlene and sorry to all those who I missed commenting on... I'll talk to you all tomorrow!

Just got all my yarn posted on the destash board. Yay! Also for March I'm pledging one square each. I wanted to do more than one but I got a text this afternoon that my SIL was at the hospital for delivery, so I've got to kick this baby blanket into high gear!  :eek

The black and white looks like a later version of With the Beatles... but then the multicolor looks better for that period of Beatles history... Oh, decisions, decisions!! I love them both!!  :manyheart  You have to post it as you work on it because I love it!! 

Yeah, I was looking at the With the Beatles cover, but I decided the later ones were more immediately recognizable for me. The faces are from the Sgt. Pepper's album insert, so I pulled the colors from their uniforms! I don't think I'm going to start on the blanket any time real soon since I will have to buy yarn for it, but once I get a few things wrapped up I'm going to do a test knit on a section just to see how the pattern comes out.

Congratulations on the bag. Glad to have you.

Thank you!!! and thanks everyone for your congrats!!! I've wanted to be a bag lady for so long, still can't believe it happened! lol  :manyheart

Just got all my yarn posted on the destash board. Yay! Also for March I'm pledging one square each. I wanted to do more than one but I got a text this afternoon that my SIL was at the hospital for delivery, so I've got to kick this baby blanket into high gear!  :eek

Congrats to her, I hope everything goes safely and quickly!

It's been a dreary day here and even though its a bit above freezing it feels awfully cold out with the wind blowing across the remaining snow.  Temp is to drop to 3 by morning but all I am focusing on is that 60 I saw for later in the week. I got 2 more puffies ready to mail today so now I have 6 ready ready to go to the PO.  Hopefully I can make it there by Fri this week.  

Hi all, yep me too brenda, didn't make it today, icy out from some cold rain, so stayed in, tomorrow will be a better day!! 

has anyone given any thought to April, lol, we have no birthdays in april, Im wondering about if maybe each one of us could do something for a charity of our choice that month, locally , or someone on here collecting something, would that be an option for all of us,or not???

Could be a scarf, or a hat for the homeless, a  shawl, lapghan, baby ghan, could be anything that you think a charity might be able to use either locally or on the board here. or anywhere you chose....we could take the month, and everyone make something, small or large, doesn't matter, and then at the end of the month we would reveal said object. and to whom we plan to donate to???

Course that doesn't really go along with Granny squares,persay lol, but it's the giving that counts I guess!! Unless that would work better in a thread of its own, what do you think??

I don't know just an idea, another option is of course just send to whomever you like all month, lol, lemme know, Im open!!

Katie, I think that's a great idea! I can work on my chemo caps.  :)

Quiet around here today! Everybody must be busy with their yarn! 

I had a good time with Sister and Peanut today. Sister is mad because Peanut only waves when I tell him to, otherwise only when he wants to.  :lol  I can't help but get tickled about it. I knew we were buddies! I taught him "yay!" today too. You say yay and throw your hands up in the air and he squeals and puts his hands up in he air too. It just cracks him up! We're still working on him saying auntie, but hopefully soon. I'm determined for that to be his first word, but we'll see!  :manyheart

I've got the body to his elephant done and I'm working on the head tonight. Working so tight on amigurumi kills my hands so I can only go little by little. Since his birthday is nautical themed, I decided to make him little ocean-themed amigurumi. So far I've found patterns for an octopus, a crab and a squid. I'd like to find a couple more. I should have enough time to get them done. His party isn't until the 28th so I should be good on time, especially since I'm almost finished with my March squares. 

I hope everyone's having a good week so far!  :hug

Archived