Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, tomorrow, last day of this short month, i never did get the whole leap year thing, and don't know if this IS one, or IS NOT one, lol, but whatever, last day of the month, so gotta post over at the stashbusting thread tomorrow, too...To me, I prefer to be in the minus numbers, lol that means getting more yarn that using, so it seems to me, that should be a plus for me, but since its all about USING up yarn,,,,I dunno, I prefer to GET yarn, lol I usually break pretty even!! :manyheart

yarnmonkey

All I'm saying is this snow and ice better leave by Monday,I have two appts. One had to be cancelled from the last storm and I'm suffering from cabin fever,Bill just said Sunday is supposed to be in the 50's

The cabin fever is the worst!! I went to the post office today and it felt like a grand adventure!! Lol! 

So our "snowpocalypse" they were calling for ending up being mostly sleet and about 2 hours of anything on the ground before it all melted away. What a rip off! lol Still cold here but they're calling for some day next week to be 68 degrees, for pete's sake! Then again, these are the same weather people who said we were getting 11 inches of snow so yeah, it might be a blizzard next week or the sun might go nuclear. 

At any rate, it's always a good day to crochet! lol   To the squares!  

Those weather people never know what they're talking about. DH said he'd love to be a weatherman so he can just be wrong all the time and it doesn't matter.  :lol

Good morning!

Been busy with the boys and girls. We have had no school for like three days now due to our lovely snow storm. We were dumped on big time. Here is oldest Grandson playing in the snow making snow angels.

I wish I enjoyed snow that much! I used to when I was their age, but now you don't get out responsibilities because of it and it's cold and wet and really just no fun at all!  :no

I've got a tab open to catch up on replies when I get home, but I was just thinking it might be nice to have a Sophie's CAL thread to post progress pictures in, since it seems like quite a few of us are tacking it. I'll post a link here if I remember to create one once I get home! (Too tired to think now especially typing on my phone....)

That's a really good idea! Then I can keep track of everyone's while I figure out mine.  :D And this page just does not work well on the phone so I totally understand! 

Gosh Katie I kind of liked your idea of putting our new person in April since we already have 5 people in March.  I figure some of us may need April to catch up.  I am glad you are working in new people even if their birthday month has passed. 

Angel I am loving watching the progression of your Sophie.  I am probably the only one in the world not on facebook but at home our internet is still dialup so we can't handle tons of photos and graphics.  Did you have an idea on how much yarn you were going to need to make it the size you want or are you buying as you go?  Those last rounds are really going to eat up a lot of yarn. 

Linda 4 inches is enough to make getting around rough especially when you don't have crews to clear the roads and have to wait for it to melt.  Hope its gone so you can make your appointments.  Know what you mean by the cabin fever.  Seems like we have missed a lot of activities lately because of the weather.  Its supposed to start snowing here tomorrow afternoon and continue into Sun .  Last I heard we might get 6 inches. 

yarn_monkey so glad to hear Peanut's teeth are doing okay.  I know how hard it is to shovel a gravel drive and ours is pretty long.  If we get a really deep snow it takes the both of us shoveling for two days to be able to get the suv out of the garage and to the road.  If its not too deep we can get out because its down hill.  But you might not get back up the drive if its not shoveled. I tell people that one year Jim bought me an ergonomic snow shovel for Christmas.  It was much easier on my back.  We eventually bought another one because Jim preferred using mine.  I can't tell you how many times I have gone out to help shovel snow only to be left doing it myself because someone went off on a fire call.  The triple wide city drive that I used to shovel before moving out here was a piece of cake compared to this. 

owlvamp oh to be young again so you want to play in the snow, sledding, making snowmen and snow angels.  As an older adult by the time I am through shoveling I am too tired to even think that would be fun. 

Ours is at least short, but I think if DH hadn't decided our next driveway will be paved, he has now! It's also only single wide because we have the landlord's "favorite" tree right in the middle of where we wish the driveway extended. Right now it's musical chairs to get the cars out depending on who wants or needs to go somewhere. My dream is to have a little bit of land so maybe we can have a tractor with the scoop on the front so DH can use that to plow a paved driveway. 

Hi bgs, ha ha, i know, it's ok, we can always mail some now, and some later in the month of March for those of us that might do more than one, it's official now, she is a member, welcome to arlene, (snowbear) from Texas, she would love to receive any color but black, and in 6 inches!!! welcome Arlene to our little home away from home, if you have any problems or questions, any one of us, usually can answer, or pm for an answer, lol, Everyone is friendly here, and plays  nicely together, we have a very good group!!

That is a good idea viking, about that sophie thread, good thinking!!  I have shoveled snow on a gravel drive as well, and it really ain't no fun! lol

Linda, poor thing, and bgs, shoveling, gosh, that is some snowl and Owlvamp, those kids are at least enjoying it, lol looks like you got dumped on too, we skidded around this one, just got flurries, and rain, thank goodness, but the cold, sheesh, -4 this am,never warmed up too much either,least no wind to speak of though..

hello to yarnmonkey, glad peanut is healing, kids are soo resillient !

And company next week, works out well for you! ha ha, pile here, pile there, whatever, right, it's all good!!

Lacey, working hard, or hardly working girl??

Glitter, love that quote, TO the Squares!!! Im gonna use that, lol

acreative and tribble, hello out there!! Dragnlady, and Sopo, and Grannyannie, and everyone i missed, a hearty hello!! 

Well everyone, don't forget to welcome our new member, (thanks bgs, im glad we could get her in as well!)

Welcome Arlene!!  to the greatest little granny thread around!!

yes angel, it was you that told us about snowflake, thanks, I think i will write down somewhere, that if anything ever happens to me, they are to get ahold of someone on this thread, and let them know, sheesh, don't like to think about that either!!

:welcome  Arlene!!!  :)

I've got squares done for two people and halfway for another. I'm pledging 2 squares each!  :yes And Peanut had moved past his little bump long before his mother! His only issue was why is he eating all this mush and pureed veggies instead of puffs and cereal and macaroni and cheese?? He's back to his usuals now so he's happy! 

Today I finished a square for a March birthday, went to the post office to mail Caron SS to Yarnscrapper and get the invitations out for Peanut's birthday party and we went to 2 different Best Buy stores to try to find something DH needed. We had Chinese for dinner and now I'm back home to work on more March squares!  :)

I'm not real sure what I'll get into tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll figure out something! I hope everyone has a good weekend!  :ghug

hi all, and how are we this evening, lol, Yarnmonkey, you are too sweet giving up your caron like that, wow, that sure helps your score over on the other thread though, he he he .. and I don't use caron often either, so I will see what I can do to find it now, that I have re organized things a bit, lol....might take awhile, one never knows......

im finishing up working on some grannys for a christmas ghan or lap ghan, or something,. to donate next year, found some Christmas yarn, sooooooooooo...... Ill add the count tomorrow, as I finish up a couple more, using up some yarn too...

Handyman got a ham today for the weekend, we can probably eat all weekend off that, lol dinner, sandwichs,snacks, casserole,we'll see, lol and it will feel good to have the oven on, it's gonna be another cold one tomorrow, with flurries, and or snow expected. When is this winter EVER going to end!!!!!!!!! :flake  :snow

Good morning, everyone. I just started the Sophie CAL thread, and then went to my content page. I just naturally assumed this thread was going to be at the top, so I was very surprised to see that friendship-squares suddenly had zero views and zero replies! Then I realised that the top thread was the one I'd just created. :rofl Here's the link to it:

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/153886-sophies-universe-cal-2015/

Brenda, our new house is pretty close to us, thankfully. It's only about fifteen minutes from our current house; Little Viking won't even be changing daycares which is wonderful. I would have felt awful if we'd had to move him again only six months after moving him already. He's really only just settled in and started to be excited about seeing the new kids as well as his old friend. He is talking quite a lot about his old school friends lately; the ones he hasn't seen in a while, so I might try to plan a play day for those who can come once we're moved in to our new house....

All of you talking about shoveling gravel driveways have me feeling a little better - our new place actually has a gravel driveway, and I've been kinda stressed out that we won't be able to shovel it. I don't know how to shovel gravel! Do you shovel it?? I had no idea. But now I at least know it's possible, if frustrating. :lol

I have so much yarn stuff I want to do today, and not nearly enough time to do it in! I'm going to go put all the stuff into my HabitRPG so I don't lose track of it: my Sophie part 1, next round on rainbow-ghan, edge a friendship-ghan square (I have five small squares left and five big squares, and then I have to plan a new layout because somehow I ended up with more squares than I have in the picture of my first plan! I do not think this is a problem. :D ), let's see, there's a March square I want to work on, no, two squares, oh and tonnnnns of ends to be woven in.... I even have a Habit to-do item, "Weave in many, many ends". I need to add notes to that too, so I don't forget anything that needs addressed! At least everything but the edging is already started? The two squares I have planned are from pieces that I found in my stash that I won't be able to use, so I'm attaching some edging to clean up size and shape.

We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow too, ugh... Usually I like winter ok, but I am ready for it to end this year! At least if the cold would break; I could handle the snow all right if it wasn't so far below freezing so often. And get this, next weekend is the Indian festival of Holi, which in India is at the beginning of springtime. My coworker mentioned it yesterday and she was saying what a bad time it's at because here there's still snow all over the place. I suggested throwing the color on the snow (oh, part of the Holi celebration is taking colored powder and water and flinging it everywhere and at each other. It's actually the inspiration for those color runs that are so popular these days) and she said "And then we could make colored snowballs!" Which Little Viking thought was a good idea when I told Daddy and him about it this morning. :lol

Ok, I think that's it for me. Have a good weekend, all! At least it's Saturday!!! (Apologies if it's not Saturday for you!)

Welcome Arlene!!! :welcome

Katy: I sent each Feb birthday a square, so they got at least 3 puffies :clap .

I'm almost done with the March squares...I'm ready for addresses!!

Here is what I have been working on....

The Chevron was suppose to go to Warm Up America for a special project, but it measures too small, so it will go to a baby blanket charity. The square blanket will go to the same baby charity. It is burgundy and the embellishments are suppose to be balloons. I'm sure if I like them :reyes ...Next projects are...a vine for Amy Reader's project, another baby ghan made from squares I knit, March squares (two left to do), and something for Warm Up America i.e. swatches or strips or a whole ghan.

post-6067-0-56600800-1425145594_thumb.jpg

post-6067-0-72384100-1425145631_thumb.jpg

post-6067-0-40792800-1425145645_thumb.jpg

post-6067-0-08535900-1425145661_thumb.jpg

thank you so much Yarnscrapper!! I thought I saw the birthday squares posted you sent, both posted, and  thanked, lol oh and  your ghans are simply wonderful, I love the balloons on there, I knew what they were immediately!! nice touch if you ask me!! And I did not know that Warm up America took strips or swatches, is this a new thing?

Welcome Arlene!!! :welcome

Katy: I sent each Feb birthday a square, so they got at least 3 puffies :clap .

The Chevron was suppose to go to Warm Up America for a special project, but it measures too small, so it will go to a baby blanket charity. The square blanket will go to the same baby charity. It is burgundy and the embellishments are suppose to be balloons. I'm sure if I like them :reyes ...Next projects are...a vine for Amy Reader's project, another baby ghan made from squares I knit, March squares (two left to do), and something for Warm Up America i.e. swatches or strips or a whole ghan.

First off thank you again vikingrunnergirl and cshort for these:

I decided to lay all my pretties out and see what I have. So since I know you all like eye candy :)))

ohh my, such pretties!! you have almost enough to start putting it together a creative, are you going to edge them, orrrrrrrrr lol

such lovlies up there, I have been working feverently on that Christmas lapghan donation, but know what, Im almost done with it, lol, so will post in appropriate thread, Im on the border now, don't know how big it will end up, using up that tri color Christmas yarn I found, almost all gone, paddy green, white, and cherry red, and it's going good.. I ripped out the border twice now, as I didn't count, and didn't come out exactly even, so now third times a charm and all is good, lol I might do the final row in something like a puff, or maybe a cross stitch, don't know till I get there!! lol

Figured it would be good for a baby born around Christmas,  For Nov or Dec donation of course, if nothing else, LOL It is turning out cute.....

then that is bout all for me, we ate early, well, the ham got done, lol and it was supergood, but now Ill thirst to death the rest of the evening,lol......Plenty of ice water in the fridge though, it's about the only way i drink water, if it's nice and fridgie cold, or on the rocks!! lol.....Mrach is tomorrow, Happy Birthday to all March Birthday girls!! Im going to get those puffies finished up hopefully, and out soon!!

all for now, stay in and bundle up if you go out!!  till later!! :hug

hi all, and how are we this evening, lol, Yarnmonkey, you are too sweet giving up your caron like that, wow, that sure helps your score over on the other thread though, he he he .. and I don't use caron often either, so I will see what I can do to find it now, that I have re organized things a bit, lol....might take awhile, one never knows......

im finishing up working on some grannys for a christmas ghan or lap ghan, or something,. to donate next year, found some Christmas yarn, sooooooooooo...... Ill add the count tomorrow, as I finish up a couple more, using up some yarn too...

Handyman got a ham today for the weekend, we can probably eat all weekend off that, lol dinner, sandwichs,snacks, casserole,we'll see, lol and it will feel good to have the oven on, it's gonna be another cold one tomorrow, with flurries, and or snow expected. When is this winter EVER going to end!!!!!!!!! 

Cleaning out the stash of types I don't like or won't use really helps the stash count! It also helps the disaster that is my craft room! Lol! I went gold last week because of it but I think somebody else is way ahead of me this week. Oh well. I'm just glad I got it out of my house!  :) I'm beginning to think Winter is never leaving. We've got a possibility of freezing rain and sleet tomorrow night I think it is, but the line is right on our county line. So technically we aren't supposed to get it but that could change pretty easily! I'm hoping it misses us. I am completely over winter!!  :yes

Welcome Arlene!!!

Katy: I sent each Feb birthday a square, so they got at least 3 puffies  .

The Chevron was suppose to go to Warm Up America for a special project, but it measures too small, so it will go to a baby blanket charity. The square blanket will go to the same baby charity. It is burgundy and the embellishments are suppose to be balloons. I'm sure if I like them  ...Next projects are...a vine for Amy Reader's project, another baby ghan made from squares I knit, March squares (two left to do), and something for Warm Up America i.e. swatches or strips or a whole ghan.

I love that chevron ghan!! It's beautiful and the colors are just great! They remind me of this cherry and chocolate ice cream my parents used to get from the Schwan's food delivery truck when I was younger. Oh, that makes me want ice cream and that's not something I usually get a craving for.  :(

I decided to lay all my pretties out and see what I have. So since I know you all like eye candy ))

They're beautiful!  :manyheart

I wound up getting up early this morning to meet Sister and Peanut at Starbucks to meet some family we don't get to see often. They're my mom's cousins and her aunt. Which of course led us to a whole genealogy discussion and who are they to the Peanut. I had to look it up because my mom knew how all that worked with the removed cousins and seconds and thirds and all that but we don't. Now that I've got it figured out it's not so bad, but I was really confused at first. Turns out they're Peanut's first cousins twice removed and his great great aunt. He was charming as always, ate half a donut, which he was thrilled about, and sat in my lap the whole time, waving to everyone who went by. Now that he's learned to wave, he just does it to everyone. Then Sister and I took Peanut home to his dad and went out to run some errands. I got a couple pairs of shoes (3 to be exact, for less than $40! I was so excited! Lol!) and we picked up some things for Peanut's birthday party.

When I got home, I made dinner and now I am beyond ready for bed!!  :tired  I went to bed too late to get up at 7. I'm not much of a morning person. I'd really rather go to bed late and get up around 9 or 9:30 but then I feel so much more accomplished when I'm out and about by then. It's a hard decision. I'm probably cutting off all alarms and sleeping till the cows come home tomorrow! 

Definitely nothing planned tomorrow but some hooky time and relaxing! I think we've got dinner plans with DH's friend but that's it for me! If it weren't for that I probably wouldn't even get out of my comfy clothes! Lol! 

I hope everyone had a good day and I'll be back tomorrow!  :hug

Good Morning!

I am way behind here but I saw lots of pretty things while I was scanning over the posts for the past couple of days. I have my March squares just about ready to go so I guess I better PM some people for addresses. I spent the past 2 days on a mini vacation with both of my daughters, son-in-laws and grandkids to celebrate my grandson's birthday. We had sooooo much fun but I will be heading home today and back to the real world of work tomorrow. Have a great day everyone.

I decided to lay all my pretties out and see what I have. So since I know you all like eye candy :)))

That afghan is going to be awesome!!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Off to have lunch with my Granny today, if the weather holds out, they're calling for snow again but we all know how that works around here, lol 

was just wondering, we are closing out Feb soon, and I know for a fact, that Jan, and Feb birthday girls all got at least ONE puffy, cause i sent them,, lol so was wondering if the past birthday girls were happy with their intake of squares??? seems those months went well, and we have march, and even april actually to work on the march bdays, so,, hope march goes smoothly as well, thanks!!

I'd love to know how it's going too! lol I sent out to Jan and Feb as well and March's will all get a puffy from me too! :D

Hi all. We had to drive home whlie it was snowin yesterday evening. A 20 min drive took over an hour. There were a few moments where my butt just about ate the seat lol. But Thankfully i wasnt the one driving. 

Thanks to all re: the blankets. Schwan's ice cream, yuuuuummmmmm, my favorite was butter brickle. :D

Warm Up America will take strips, but I don't know the exact measurements off the top of my head.

I'm thinking 7" x 63"???? And then they use 7 or 9 strips per adult ghan. :think  I'm hoping to find some yarns in my stash to bust on strips.

OK, off to hookie land!!!! :yay

Guys, I have a problem. I designed another blanket. I can't buy more yarn right now!! But I don't have stash for this!!

(Comparing colors vs black and white here. And I wouldn't do it all at once like this; I'd do each in one block and then edge and join them.)

post-62070-0-17688700-1425243909_thumb.jpg

Guys, I have a problem. I designed another blanket. I can't buy more yarn right now!! But I don't have stash for this!!

(Comparing colors vs black and white here. And I wouldn't do it all at once like this; I'd do each in one block and then edge and join them.)

I really like the black and white one :)

That's awesome!

Thanks!! Right now I'm thinking I like the color, with black bordering each block. And I just realised that I have yarn I could at least test the concept with... and I just buried it at the bottom of the yarn bin. >_<

I really like the black and white one :)

That's awesome!

Archived