Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hello,

I finally have February squares ready to go but the line at the post office was waaaaaayyyyy to long today. I wouldn't have gotten done in time to get to my dentist appointment so I will be at the post office tomorrow. 

I am going to finish the pair of pants tonight.

Hope everyone is having a great day/evening.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey all, nothing new to report, glad litle brantly did fine in surgery, so glad for mom too, that would be so hard for the mom sending baby into surgery.She is strong, she is brave, and so is Brantly

Sopo, hello stranger, lol, glad to hear you made it safely, I don't go out in the ice too much.

Tomorrow will be into the mid to high 40's, that will be welcome!!   well you all take care, be safe, stay warm, and keep healthy!! till tomorrow, im over and out!

Ohhh, those sound wonderful! I wonder if I could find somewhere around here that does fresh tortillas? Probably in Allentown or Bethlehem, but even once in a while would be so nice....

Oh gosh, I hope your brother's ok! You know, I don't care how many people complain about the cost "to the taxpayer" or whoever, I would ALWAYS rather people get emergency care for situations that turn out to be not so serious than not get care at all and have it turn out to be deadly!

Oh, and the 80s is totally not old. It wasn't three decades ago! It was just like a couple years ago! :lol

I agree with you that the '80s just happened!  I don't know what they're talking about, lol.  The tortillas are so yummy there!  Many small towns have those places where they turn your dry maize into masa and make your tortillas.  You would be in heaven!  The other thing is that sodas are so much better because they all use real cane sugar, not beet sugar.  The first thing we would have in Mexico was a Coke.  My brother is hanging in there.  He has had a headache for days at the base of his skull.  One day he jumped up from bed and yelled because it suddenly hit out of nowhere and wouldn't stop.  So they went to the ER after the third day, and after a CAT scan, an MRI, and blood tests, they didn't give him a thing.  Yes, his bp and glucose levels are high (he's diabetic), but they don't treat that; only his primary treating physician can treat it.  They didn't even give him anything to try to control the pain.  He has insurance, but with his co-pay and deductible, it cost an arm and a leg, and they didn't do anything.  I don't understand why, after agreeing that it could be related to the high blood pressure and high glucose levels, they still performed an MRI.  It's all so frustrating.  

Maria, I hope your brother is ok.

I hope his appointment on Friday is more fruitful.  Thanks :)

I hope your brother is okay!  :hug

We went over to a friend's house last night for her birthday and were out late so I wasn't really able to check in but for checking messages and posting my stashbusting score for the week. It had been sleeting all day but the temperature just kept going up so we figured it wasn't too icy. We checked the weather channel and they said it was 36* outside before we left. We got in the car and pulled out of the neighborhood and the car says 28*.  :reyes  Thanks, Weather Channel. We got about halfway there on the highway and hit a big patch of ice on a bridge. Thank goodness DH knows what he's doing because we were sliding and sliding and the back end of the car was all over the place but he got us through without any issues at all. Besides the minor heart attack I had.  :worried  I'm a nervous passenger anyway and that was almost too much! Needless to say we went about half the speed limit after that! 

We think it's his blood pressure and sugar, but he will hopefully find out on Friday.  I'm so glad you got home safely!!

Just wanted to let everyone know lil man came out of his first surgery just great. Doctors r impressed. next surgery will be in six months

Thank God, dragnlady5!  

viking I had a stove fire once.  It was ironic because DH had left on a fire call as he is a volunteer firefighter.  I was heating grease in a cast iron skillet to fry something and turned my back to it for a little too long.  When I saw the flames I am thinking oh great here I have a fire and he isn't even here, wonder what he would think if I called it in and he hears our address over the radio for a fire call, oh well lets see do I want to use the fire extinguisher right by the stove or go for the baking soda, lets use baking soda it will be cheaper than having to get another fire extinguisher. 

You are hilarious!  I think I would have used the extinguisher  :devil

I hope everyone is doing well.  Get warm, and keep safe!   :hug

Here's another Sophie progress photo.  I have finished Part 5 of the 7 that have been released so far.

post-44469-0-47428100-1424744058_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-87028700-1424744066_thumb.jpg

Been thinking of kuddles again. Hope she is doing well and Cindy too. I wonder how it is going with unpacking and the baby...

I have been too! And Kim! I hope they're all doing well. 

dragn glad to see little Brantley arrived and made it through surgery okay,  love the photo

viking I had a stove fire once.  It was ironic because DH had left on a fire call as he is a volunteer firefighter.  I was heating grease in a cast iron skillet to fry something and turned my back to it for a little too long.  When I saw the flames I am thinking oh great here I have a fire and he isn't even here, wonder what he would think if I called it in and he hears our address over the radio for a fire call, oh well lets see do I want to use the fire extinguisher right by the stove or go for the baking soda, lets use baking soda it will be cheaper than having to get another fire extinguisher. 

yarn_monkey I don't like the slipping and sliding all over the road either.  And even if you can make it okay its always a big worry that someone else is going to slide into you

Sat am everything was coated in ice but by afternoon you almost didn't need a jacket outside.  Sun with no sun and a blustery wind it was absolutely frigid out.  Very cold this morning  but almost up to freezing now, maybe a little above freezing tomorrow.  They have been saying another snow event Wed and this weekend but if I don't listen to that part maybe it won't happen.  

That's what I always tell DH! I'm not so worried about his driving, it's everyone else. Like my great granddaddy (and therefore my dad) always said... "you never know when you might meet a fool." Dad says this to me every time I leave from visiting him, and every time when I was a teenager going out somewhere. I'm sure I'll say it to Peanut too!  :)

I agree with you that the '80s just happened!  I don't know what they're talking about, lol.  The tortillas are so yummy there!  Many small towns have those places where they turn your dry maize into masa and make your tortillas.  You would be in heaven!  The other thing is that sodas are so much better because they all use real cane sugar, not beet sugar.  The first thing we would have in Mexico was a Coke.  My brother is hanging in there.  He has had a headache for days at the base of his skull.  One day he jumped up from bed and yelled because it suddenly hit out of nowhere and wouldn't stop.  So they went to the ER after the third day, and after a CAT scan, an MRI, and blood tests, they didn't give him a thing.  Yes, his bp and glucose levels are high (he's diabetic), but they don't treat that; only his primary treating physician can treat it.  They didn't even give him anything to try to control the pain.  He has insurance, but with his co-pay and deductible, it cost an arm and a leg, and they didn't do anything.  I don't understand why, after agreeing that it could be related to the high blood pressure and high glucose levels, they still performed an MRI.  It's all so frustrating.  

I hope his appointment on Friday is more fruitful.  Thanks :)

We think it's his blood pressure and sugar, but he will hopefully find out on Friday.  I'm so glad you got home safely!!

Thank God, dragnlady5!  

You are hilarious!  I think I would have used the extinguisher  :devil

I hope everyone is doing well.  Get warm, and keep safe!   :hug

Here's another Sophie progress photo.  I have finished Part 5 of the 7 that have been released so far.

Oops!  I forgot to post a picture of the lovely yarn that yarn_monkey sent me.  It included a beautiful, cheery flower card.  Thank you!

It's so frustrating when they do all that stuff and charge you all that money even though they think they know the reason or when they don't have any more of an idea after than when they started! I fainted one time when I was in college (on the phone with my mom, I still feel bad for doing that to her! Lol) and I had to go to the emergency room. They said it was dehydration, gave me 2 little cartons of juice and it was $500. My parents just about lost their minds! I hope Friday is good news and I hope his primary care doc can give him a little bit better help! 

Your Sophie is just absolutely beautiful!!  :manyheart  I really need to go through my stash and see what I can come up with for it. Every picture I see just makes me want to start one even more! I'm glad you got the yarn and it arrived safely! I'm glad it's finally in a good home. I'm mad I just can't stand to use it because they really are great colors. 

Today I got myself busy in the storage room that's eventually going to be our office and started going through more of the boxes of my mom's. DH made about 5 trips to the attic and I got a bunch of stuff out and moved and put away. Then the dust got the best of me and I couldn't do it anymore. A bunch of those boxes my mom had stored in her garage building and they're just covered in dust and dirt and yuck and my sinuses just don't like it, so I do what I can and then quit and come back a couple days later. I'm making pretty good progress so I'm not in a big rush. My mom had this heavy glass cake stand and the bottom part is cracked and chipped so Sister and I decided that we'll just throw it away because it's not anything fancy or special. Well, I set it beside the kitchen trash so I'd remember to take it with the garbage when it goes out. Now you'd think I could remember I set the stupid thing there but nope! I went to throw something away a little bit later and smacked my ankle right on the bone against the flat plate part.  :reyes I tell you, I am a disaster! Not much worse than a bad bruise and a bump, I think, and fortunately it was the opposite ankle than the one I had a problem with before. Sheesh. 

Tomorrow I'm leaving before lunchtime, picking up food for Sister and I and going to visit with the Peanut till it's time to come home and make dinner. I'm so excited. The snow made me miss a couple usual visits and I miss that little stinker!  :yes

Well I'm off for the night. I'm going to work on my scarf a little bit and watch some shows on the DVR with DH. Hope everyone had a good Monday!  :hug

Oh drgnlady, I don't think I said anything... I'm glad to hear Mr. Brantley made it through his surgery with no problems! He is such a cutie!  :manyheart

It's so frustrating when they do all that stuff and charge you all that money even though they think they know the reason or when they don't have any more of an idea after than when they started! I fainted one time when I was in college (on the phone with my mom, I still feel bad for doing that to her! Lol) and I had to go to the emergency room. They said it was dehydration, gave me 2 little cartons of juice and it was $500. My parents just about lost their minds! I hope Friday is good news and I hope his primary care doc can give him a little bit better help! 

Your Sophie is just absolutely beautiful!!  :manyheart  I really need to go through my stash and see what I can come up with for it. Every picture I see just makes me want to start one even more! I'm glad you got the yarn and it arrived safely! I'm glad it's finally in a good home. I'm mad I just can't stand to use it because they really are great colors. 

Today I got myself busy in the storage room that's eventually going to be our office and started going through more of the boxes of my mom's. DH made about 5 trips to the attic and I got a bunch of stuff out and moved and put away. Then the dust got the best of me and I couldn't do it anymore. A bunch of those boxes my mom had stored in her garage building and they're just covered in dust and dirt and yuck and my sinuses just don't like it, so I do what I can and then quit and come back a couple days later. I'm making pretty good progress so I'm not in a big rush. My mom had this heavy glass cake stand and the bottom part is cracked and chipped so Sister and I decided that we'll just throw it away because it's not anything fancy or special. Well, I set it beside the kitchen trash so I'd remember to take it with the garbage when it goes out. Now you'd think I could remember I set the stupid thing there but nope! I went to throw something away a little bit later and smacked my ankle right on the bone against the flat plate part.  :reyes I tell you, I am a disaster! Not much worse than a bad bruise and a bump, I think, and fortunately it was the opposite ankle than the one I had a problem with before. Sheesh. 

Tomorrow I'm leaving before lunchtime, picking up food for Sister and I and going to visit with the Peanut till it's time to come home and make dinner. I'm so excited. The snow made me miss a couple usual visits and I miss that little stinker!  :yes

It's so expensive to go the ER.  It's ridiculous what they charge and what they're charging for.  Let's see what his doctor says.

Sophie makes any color combination look awesome.  You start to doubt your color combinations, but I make sure that I alternate dark and light tones, playing up the colors, and she ends up looking good no matter what.  I think that variegated colors are harder to use here, but as long as they are surrounded by solids, they are okay.  I've stopped comparing mine to the others because it doesn't help.  I'm sticking to my inspiration piece.  I hope you start one too.  You're going to love her even more!

Ouch!  I hate when that happens.  I seem to find exactly the things I knew to be careful about.  Heal soon!  Have fun with Sister and Peanut :)

Good night, ladies  :rose

I finished up Little mans sweater. WIll try to get a picture of him in it. Let's say this sweater took way to long and I still feel i didn't get the hoody part correct. It will probably be the only one I ever make.

I love this sweater!  I don't know what you think is wrong, but I think it's fabulous :)

good morning

well,we are back in the deep freeze again,I'm officially seriously over these bone chilling temps

really,I'm aching in places like never before.but of course this too shall pass and warmer weather will come

Pineknott We are in the friged temps again also. got toned out at 3 am to a house fire. total loss full engulfed when we got there. Kinda odd. (not really) that there have been 3 houses unoocupied and no electric that have gone up in flames this winter. they all belong to the same guy and just so happens that the Town has sent  papers to fix up or tear down.  

How is everyone today?  I am doing the crochet crowd mystery afghan challenge. Any one else doing it?

Good morning everyone,

Lots of news in the posts above. Glad to hear Brantly is doing well. He is adorable!! Sophies afghan is gorgeous!!! I love the fact that you used a picture for your inspiration. I need to try that. We have had snow all weekend. It started Sat afternoon and didn't stop til Monday morning. So we got a snow day on Monday from work!!! That is the first one we have gotten in years. Soooo, I crocheted for two and a half days straight!. I finished up a blanket that was suppose to go to Warm Up America but it is too small for what they wanted. I will give it to a "baby blanket" charity. It's 39" x 40". I still need to wash and block it. Then I'll try to post a picture. I've not done that yet on this website. I'll also post it on the charity CAL thread.... Now I have to decide what my next big project will be. I'm tempted to try the sophie CAL, but that might be a little aggressive for me. Hummmmm....Is there spell check here?  Hahahaha... :lol

Yarnscrapper, the tutorials are superb.  I frogged for the first time yesterday.  It was my fault.  I didn't check my count, and I completely skipped the last stitch two rounds before that I needed for the one I was working.  I had to frog all the way back, and these are bigger rounds.  Oh, well.  It worked out because I wasn't happy with the colors.  I started that round with a new color, but then when I was back to the round I had initially reached, I ran out of yarn after making one side :lol  I can't buy yarn for a couple of weeks, but I am starting another one with scraps this time.  I'm obsessed!  Oh, they also have video tutorials, though those are not available as quickly as the new parts.  They are two weeks behind.  I haven't had to use them.  Take the plunge!

pineknott and everyone else, I hope you keep warm.  

TTFN :)

Maria

Gosh, so much news, and such nice eye candy, from squares, to yarn to sweaters!! Nice job everyone! Those squares are really beautiful, but look very ambitious and tedious, lol, not wanting to commit to such a large project right now, but maybe in the future.

some weather warning is coming on, oh, it's for iowa, lol good, not us, we will probably get rain, and yeah, where is that Kimgoodie lately!! I hope all is well!! Good to have you back as well viking!! Hello to all , i checked the like box on the posts i read, so keeps me current, lol.

Been kind of a blah day, sheesh, haven't accomplished much but made a few smaller grannys, had an idea for a ghan, and will work them when i have more balls, i used up what i had on them, they turned out so cute, lol it will be an ongoing project though, I will work them up, when I have smaller balls to use up!!

I guess I don't have anything else right now, blah!! lol back later, hopefully with more to say!

Hi everyone! Today I finished my second yarn test shawl so I'm finally free to get working on other fun stuff! After I give my hands a break though, I've completely trashed them lately. lol We got a little snow here today, luckily it didn't stick to the roads. The whole city shuts down if there's even a hint of a flurry so traffic wasn't too bad today. lol

Hope you're all having a great week so far! I may have missed it: is there anything in the works special for April since there aren't any bdays or will we just get a head start on May? :D

Pineknott We are in the friged temps again also. got toned out at 3 am to a house fire. total loss full engulfed when we got there. Kinda odd. (not really) that there have been 3 houses unoocupied and no electric that have gone up in flames this winter. they all belong to the same guy and just so happens that the Town has sent  papers to fix up or tear down.  

How is everyone today?  I am doing the crochet crowd mystery afghan challenge. Any one else doing it?

Are you serious??? Some dude might actually be lighting his own houses on fire??? What the--! Aside from the horrible illegality and all, doesn't he even THINK about what would happen if it SPREAD?? There's a family in a county near ours that has had their house set on fire twice in the last year; it's so awful. They don't have any idea who it might be or why they're doing it. I quite like fire, but I've got no use for arsonists at all, none.

It's so expensive to go the ER.  It's ridiculous what they charge and what they're charging for.  Let's see what his doctor says.

Sophie makes any color combination look awesome.  You start to doubt your color combinations, but I make sure that I alternate dark and light tones, playing up the colors, and she ends up looking good no matter what.  I think that variegated colors are harder to use here, but as long as they are surrounded by solids, they are okay.  I've stopped comparing mine to the others because it doesn't help.  I'm sticking to my inspiration piece.  I hope you start one too.  You're going to love her even more!

Ouch!  I hate when that happens.  I seem to find exactly the things I knew to be careful about.  Heal soon!  Have fun with Sister and Peanut :)

Good night, ladies  :rose

Oh, your Sophie is just gorgeous! I don't know why I'm so intimidated by the colors I've got; I think it's because it's not a color set I'd have picked myself (lots of primaries and brown of all colors!) and I just can't picture how it's all going to come out. I'm loving howie's blues; I think it would be fun to do with all greens, too. Or yellow and orange and red and make a flames Sophie!

Freezing my butt off, and everybody else is in bed (DH not feeling well, so he went in to bed early) so I think I'm going to put on an Addams Family episode and work on my rainbow ghan - really hoping to finish up this red round - so I can start the orange! :D

I finished up Little mans sweater. WIll try to get a picture of him in it. Let's say this sweater took way to long and I still feel i didn't get the hoody part correct. It will probably be the only one I ever make.

I think it looks great! I'm sure he'll be adorable in it!  :manyheart

good morning

well,we are back in the deep freeze again,I'm officially seriously over these bone chilling temps

really,I'm aching in places like never before.but of course this too shall pass and warmer weather will come

Oh my goodness, it's sooo cold!!!! And I saw you all got some surprise snow this afternoon. We only got flurries and none of it stuck but apparently that won't be the case tomorrow. We're on a line between nothing and 4-7" and they say it could go either way. It better go towards nothing, because I'm really about ready to run away!!  :(

I thought about doing it... I might still once I see how it turns out. I just didn't want to commit right then to another big project. I've got so many going that I'm afraid I'd never finish it. 

I had a great time with Sister and Peanut today. I picked up lunch and took it over for us and he was tickled to have someone else to show off for. He was walking up a storm! He still doesn't have his land legs yet obviously but it's not for lack of trying, that's for sure! Before we left for Walmart, Sister had him on the couch to change his diaper. When she went to wrap the wipe up in the dirty diaper and had her hands off him for just a second, he flipped over and was on the move! Right across the couch and up into my lap, completely "nakey" (that's what I used to say when I was little and my dad won't let me forget it), he stands up on my knees, grabs my hands, dances for a little bit and then collapses on me for snuggles.  :manyheart  My heart, I tell you, I don't know how it's still in one piece. It just melts every time I'm with him. 

Tomorrow I've got an eye appointment and not much else. Something's got to give with either my contacts or my eyes, whichever the problem happens to be. I can only wear each pair of contacts for a couple of days before I have to throw them away because they hurt my eyes and they should be lasting 2 weeks! I don't see well enough with my glasses to function with only them, especially if I need to drive anywhere or the sun is out. Hopefully they can figure it out! 

Well, I'm off to find something to get into. Probably March squares!  :D Hope everyone had a good day!  :ghug

good morning. hope you all are having a good week. Im having a rough morning, I dont know why I am so tired today. Work is going good, and my friend that works there also, called me to ask if I mind working sundays for the next few weeks as well, until they fill that spot. So Ill have 4 days a week instead of only 3 for a while. Which is ok with me, since that means more money. So ill be wed, thur, fri, sun 10pm to 5am for a while. hopefully I can get some crocheting done at some point. 

See you all later :hug

Hi, ladies!  Greetings :)

Oh, your Sophie is just gorgeous! I don't know why I'm so intimidated by the colors I've got; I think it's because it's not a color set I'd have picked myself (lots of primaries and brown of all colors!) and I just can't picture how it's all going to come out. I'm loving howie's blues; I think it would be fun to do with all greens, too. Or yellow and orange and red and make a flames Sophie!

Freezing my butt off, and everybody else is in bed (DH not feeling well, so he went in to bed early) so I think I'm going to put on an Addams Family episode and work on my rainbow ghan - really hoping to finish up this red round - so I can start the orange! :D

The hardest part for me was deciding what color to make the center flower with, but once I started, I just went from there.  I use my inspiration photo to help out, but now I just change it up so at times there are more light colors together, then darks together, and then a mixture, always alternating.  Sometimes I want the flower rounds to look like flowers with the green stems, and other times I want it to be a little more uncommon.  It's just a matter of changing it up.  Throwing in a bold, unexpected color helps too.  Post pictures of yours so we can admire yours  :)

I hope you had a relaxing time with the show and your rainbow afghan :)

Hi all, don't have time to read thru everything.  Just wanted to pop in and say hi!  You are all in my thoughts and prayers.  My health is still blah, not feeling well today.  I am so sick of winter!  Springtime please show up soon, lol.  I have my list of March squares to make and will be getting those going soon and into the mail, well once I have the addresses, lol.  Take care all and I'll be back as soon as I can.

Hugs, Ann

Archived