Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

hi all, chilly as all get out here, the wind is also picking up, as for snow, so far a dusting, not too bad, right now, bad enough to screw up rush hour traffic probably!

Been keeping busy I guess, looking through some bins of varigated yarns, wish I could think of things to do with it, lol it's soooo pretty!!

So, i take each ball or skein out, and feel it, and make sure it's properly wound, or balled, lol, and put it back in the bin, but I can see through the bin, so that is a good thing!! And no, I don't have xray vision or anything, it is just a clear view bin is all, ha ha.

see ya later!!!!  LQQK! watching you all!!!!!!!m  and remember, No Skein, No Gain!!

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have home insurance now!! :yay Just got the quote and settled the deal with esurance, so we are almost at the end of things we need to complete the mortgage (we just need February's bank statement and a copy of the receipt for the insurance on the new place). Closing is on March 16, 10 am, and we are getting super excited! Also super realising that we need to kick packing into high gear.  :eek

Granny, it was so good to see you check in! I hope you're feeling better soon.  :hug

Maria, I did have a lovely time watching Morticia and Gomez last night. :D Had to fight off another round of urges to dunk my entire wardrobe (well, a lot of it, anyway) in a black dye bath. I'd watch more tonight, but I just was on the phone I think over an hour taking care of all that, so I think I'm just going to go read a book in bed. After I get some food; I'm suddenly *starving*. Stress does that, you know? Even good stress.

Hi all, don't have time to read thru everything.  Just wanted to pop in and say hi!  You are all in my thoughts and prayers.  My health is still blah, not feeling well today.  I am so sick of winter!  Springtime please show up soon, lol.  I have my list of March squares to make and will be getting those going soon and into the mail, well once I have the addresses, lol.  Take care all and I'll be back as soon as I can.

Hugs, Ann

Hi, Ann! We've missed hearing from you! I hope you feel better tomorrow and that it warms up for all of us soon!  :hug

We have home insurance now!! :yay Just got the quote and settled the deal with esurance, so we are almost at the end of things we need to complete the mortgage (we just need February's bank statement and a copy of the receipt for the insurance on the new place). Closing is on March 16, 10 am, and we are getting super excited! Also super realising that we need to kick packing into high gear.  :eek

Granny, it was so good to see you check in! I hope you're feeling better soon.  :hug

Maria, I did have a lovely time watching Morticia and Gomez last night. :D Had to fight off another round of urges to dunk my entire wardrobe (well, a lot of it, anyway) in a black dye bath. I'd watch more tonight, but I just was on the phone I think over an hour taking care of all that, so I think I'm just going to go read a book in bed. After I get some food; I'm suddenly *starving*. Stress does that, you know? Even good stress.

Eek! It's so soon! And it will be here before you know it! I'm so excited for you!!!!  :yes

Nothing much to report here. Went to the eye doctor and hopefully got my contact situation straightened out and then I came home and worked on squares. DH and I went out for dinner, Mexican again because it was that or Chinese and I'm pretty done with Chinese for a little while! Lol It's DH's favorite, so we have it pretty often. Tonight we're just hanging out and watching TV and waiting to see what kind of snow we're getting. One channel is saying 2-4" and another is saying 5-10", with the line for 7-12" right below us. That's a pretty big difference! I think when I see who winds up being right, I'll know what channel I'm going to trust. At least until they mess up the next time!!  :lol

We have family supposed to come visit from Maryland Friday evening and stay the night. I guess that will depend on what the snow does. I haven't seen them since my wedding so I hope they get to make it! But that means tomorrow is serious cleaning! That way I can just do a little picking up on Friday before they get here. My house is clean like dirt and gross-wise... but tidy it is not! Lol! 

I hope everyone had a good day today and has a good day tomorrow! I'm going to work on some squares and I'll check back in tomorrow!  :ghug

Just checking in!!! Our internet has been dodgy all weekend and week so far, in and out at all times :( I've had enough of the cold and snow... Horrible stuff! :) 

Adorable baby and squares and yarn! Awesome sophie! Hope everyone is doing good... I'll try to type more when our internet isn't being so fickle. Have an awesome day!

hi everyone, congratz viking, whislt packing, do take care to tend carefully to that yarn stash, !!! It will probably get a bit nervous, and might dirty the bin, if you don't take precautionary measures,. lol

Yarnmonkey, hope you didn't get snowed in, and I can't imagine you're house being anything but tidy, and in order!!

so sorry about your  internet tribble, hope the prob is a thing of the past now.....Did the weather play a part in it??

Linda, your parts are having quite the time with the snow, I understand, but you all are just not set up for it, so be patient, it will clear soon enough, be careful too, if you are not used to driving in it.!!

that's all I got, oh, one more thing, we will have another  birthday in March, as we are getting a new member, and as soon as she sends me the needed info to post, I will do so, so please keep your eye balls peeled!!!

have been wondering too, about KImgoodie, and does anyone remember Snowflake, she was a nice person, and just suddenly dissapeared and didn't answer emails either, hope she is ok....Beginning to wonder too about Honex, she used to check in now and then..... come on ladies, don't keep us in suspense!!

katy did you mean the new person's birthday was in Feb (you said March and that it was almost over) or did I sleep through March this year?   Seems like awhile back someone told us that Snowflake passed away.  I also wonder about people when they disappear on us.  I miss seeing kuddles projects and hearing about kiddles. 

angel, I am loving seeing the progression of your Sophie.  Do you know how big it is supposed to be when you are through?  Did they tell you about how many colors you should use and how much yarn you would need?  I don't think I could ever decide on the color combos and placement. 

viking I am excited for you and your new house.  Is it very far away from where you live now? 

Linda is your area more likely to get ice than snow and when you get snow how long does it last?  I don't mind it as much when we get a little and I know its going to melt in a day or two. Of course it really doesn't matter how little of it there is if you are stuck in rush hour when it is starting to stick to the roads. 

Tribble internet issues here too.  I have been having problems connecting or staying connected to the internet since Tues.  Of course when the guy was out today he couldn't find a problem.  We have had a lot of intermittent problems the past 5 years and they are always working at the main box about 6 miles away.  Unfortunatly this guy said he does not regularly work this area so he was unaware of problems we have.  We also basically haven't had cell phone coverage at home since the beginning of the month.  They finally admitted to having a tower down------the one that serves us and we are too far from the other towers to get much coverage. 

Lacy congrats on the job.

Ann good to see you.

yarn_monkey glad that Peanut and sis have come through his first accident okay.  Are the teeth still doing okay?  Hope you got the lesser amount of snow.

owlvamp I thought you did a good job on the jacket with the hood

cshort, yarnscrapper, justaddglitter, a.creative.mrs. and everyone else  :hi

and yes, sadly I do remember hearing that about someone, forgot it ws snowflake, RIP snowflake......

Hi lacey, good to see your post, and good luck with the new hours, everyone with sick kiddies, I hope the kiddies are feeling better too.

Imn tired tonight, got lots done today, so gonna sign off and kick back for a bit!!

Yes, it was Lisa (snowflake5156) that passed away last year.  I posted to let everyone know.  I found out some months after she passed because we were Facebook friends and someone posted on her wall that they missed her and may she rest in peace.  It was a big shock.  I would want my friends here to know when I pass.  I wonder how I can do that.  I'll have to find a Crochetville heir just like Facebook has a Facebook heir :lol

One more weekday that I'm free before my job!  Yay!!

katy did you mean the new person's birthday was in Feb (you said March and that it was almost over) or did I sleep through March this year?   Seems like awhile back someone told us that Snowflake passed away.  I also wonder about people when they disappear on us.  I miss seeing kuddles projects and hearing about kiddles. 

angel, I am loving seeing the progression of your Sophie.  Do you know how big it is supposed to be when you are through?  Did they tell you about how many colors you should use and how much yarn you would need?  I don't think I could ever decide on the color combos and placement. 

viking I am excited for you and your new house.  Is it very far away from where you live now? 

Linda is your area more likely to get ice than snow and when you get snow how long does it last?  I don't mind it as much when we get a little and I know its going to melt in a day or two. Of course it really doesn't matter how little of it there is if you are stuck in rush hour when it is starting to stick to the roads. 

Tribble internet issues here too.  I have been having problems connecting or staying connected to the internet since Tues.  Of course when the guy was out today he couldn't find a problem.  We have had a lot of intermittent problems the past 5 years and they are always working at the main box about 6 miles away.  Unfortunatly this guy said he does not regularly work this area so he was unaware of problems we have.  We also basically haven't had cell phone coverage at home since the beginning of the month.  They finally admitted to having a tower down------the one that serves us and we are too far from the other towers to get much coverage. 

Ann good to see you.

yarn_monkey glad that Peanut and sis have come through his first accident okay.  Are the teeth still doing okay?  Hope you got the lesser amount of snow.

cshort, yarnscrapper, justaddglitter, a.creative.mrs. and everyone else  :hi

Bgs

2 big storms in 10 days,and yes sad to say but 4 inches is a lot to folks around here

the last four measureable storms 1988,1994 and now  2 in 2015. Most snow events here are here today gone tomorrow,but we hadn't got out of the 20's & 30's in days,we did have one 50 degree day in between,which is where we are usually at this time of year

We haven't had many ice storms,just one that I remember in our 30 yrs here in this locale ,and that was in 1992,and hope to never see another,ice jammed under a jointed area up there on the roof and nearly brought down the ceilings in one of the bedrooms.

I think they get more ice storms in the western part of the state toward the Tn.line ( Bristol)

well we haven't seen this much snow at one time,since the late 80's

some of our pine tree branches almost touching the ground

have a great day and stay safe everyone

Linda, I don't know about you, but I'm ready to pack up and leave! If I wanted snow, I'd move north! Lol! I woke up this morning and we have this bush that's by our kitchen window... I forgot what's called but it's usually a small bush and this one is apparently very old and tall. Well anyway, that poor thing was leaning completely sideways and laying on the grill! Our weather people said this was a very wet snow so it was weighing everything down. Have you got good weather projected for next week? I saw one day is supposed to be near 70!!  :cheer

hi everyone, congratz viking, whislt packing, do take care to tend carefully to that yarn stash, !!! It will probably get a bit nervous, and might dirty the bin, if you don't take precautionary measures,. lol

Yarnmonkey, hope you didn't get snowed in, and I can't imagine you're house being anything but tidy, and in order!!

so sorry about your  internet tribble, hope the prob is a thing of the past now.....Did the weather play a part in it??

Linda, your parts are having quite the time with the snow, I understand, but you all are just not set up for it, so be patient, it will clear soon enough, be careful too, if you are not used to driving in it.!!

that's all I got, oh, one more thing, we will have another  birthday in March, as we are getting a new member, and as soon as she sends me the needed info to post, I will do so, so please keep your eye balls peeled!!!

have been wondering too, about KImgoodie, and does anyone remember Snowflake, she was a nice person, and just suddenly dissapeared and didn't answer emails either, hope she is ok....Beginning to wonder too about Honex, she used to check in now and then..... come on ladies, don't keep us in suspense!!

Lol Katie! My house is tidy enough for DH and I, I'm not a hoarder and nothing is dirty... It's just stuff. And not exactly tidy enough for family I don't see on a regular basis! Sister can see it as is, and my Dad... otherwise, I have to put all my yarn projects and magazines and stuff like that away. Which usually means in a different pile in a different room.  :lol

Ann good to see you.

cshort, yarnscrapper, justaddglitter, a.creative.mrs. and everyone else  

Sister and Peanut have recovered! One of his teeth is still a little bit loose but I don't think it's going anywhere until he's actually supposed to lose it!  :yay  Sister is still paranoid but at least she doesn't feel so guilty about it anymore. We wound up with about 6 or 7" of snow so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Thank goodness! 

Yes, it was Lisa (snowflake5156) that passed away last year.  I posted to let everyone know.  I found out some months after she passed because we were Facebook friends and someone posted on her wall that they missed her and may she rest in peace.  It was a big shock.  I would want my friends here to know when I pass.  I wonder how I can do that.  I'll have to find a Crochetville heir just like Facebook has a Facebook heir 

One more weekday that I'm free before my job!  Yay!!

Eek! I can't wait to hear all about it!!  :hug

I didn't do much of anything today. The cousins that were supposed to come tomorrow aren't because of the snow, so they'll come next Friday instead. I'm okay with that because it gives me time to clean up since I didn't get it done before. Mainly i figured the snow would postpone their trip so I wasn't in a big rush! DH went out and shoveled our driveway and walk and dug out the cars so we can get out tomorrow hopefully, even if we just ride up the road and come back. I just like to have the option!  :yes The driveway is always difficult for him because it's gravel. Everyone else can just put their shovel down and push the snow off to the side but with the gravel he can't do that. He did a good job though and now we can see the rock! They even came through with one of those little construction Cat things and halfway plowed our road! It's only a one car width path, but they usually don't even do that, so I'm really happy! It's uphill to get onto our street from the main road and not having it plowed always makes it hard. 

Not much planned for tomorrow now, so I'll probably just be here working on March squares. I've got a couple done so far and finished another one this evening, so I'll be ready get addresses before long!  :D I love mailing out squares! DH is always "we have to go to the post office AGAIN???" Lol Poor guy has it really rough!!  :lol

I hope everyone is staying warm and safe! is it Spring yet???  :rose  :hot

Thanks, bgs!  You get to choose what yarn weight you want to use.  I've seen from thread to chunky.  The thread is crazy!  I'm using worsted weight yarn and an I hook.  I crochet a little tightly, and since I want Sophie for my queen-sized bed, I am using a bigger hook than I normally use with worsted weight yarn.  I think that I read that the final size of your Sophie will be a tenth or so of the ultimate size.  I didn't measure mine; so I have no idea what size it will be yet.  You can use as little as one color and increase from there.  I will link here two things:  1, the Facebook page in case you want to make it and join the group; and, 2, the blog page that explains the way it works and the colors she used.

1.  Official CCC Social Group

2.  Blog information post

I hope you join in.  It's fun seeing it grow and get prettier.  Choose the colors that call to you, and start.  I don't think there's a wrong way to make Sophie :)

yarnmonkey

All I'm saying is this snow and ice better leave by Monday,I have two appts. One had to be cancelled from the last storm and I'm suffering from cabin fever,Bill just said Sunday is supposed to be in the 50's

So our "snowpocalypse" they were calling for ending up being mostly sleet and about 2 hours of anything on the ground before it all melted away. What a rip off! lol Still cold here but they're calling for some day next week to be 68 degrees, for pete's sake! Then again, these are the same weather people who said we were getting 11 inches of snow so yeah, it might be a blizzard next week or the sun might go nuclear.  :reyes

At any rate, it's always a good day to crochet! lol  :yay To the squares!  :hook

I've got a tab open to catch up on replies when I get home, but I was just thinking it might be nice to have a Sophie's CAL thread to post progress pictures in, since it seems like quite a few of us are tacking it. I'll post a link here if I remember to create one once I get home! :D (Too tired to think now especially typing on my phone....)

Gosh Katie I kind of liked your idea of putting our new person in April since we already have 5 people in March.  I figure some of us may need April to catch up.  I am glad you are working in new people even if their birthday month has passed. 

Angel I am loving watching the progression of your Sophie.  I am probably the only one in the world not on facebook but at home our internet is still dialup so we can't handle tons of photos and graphics.  Did you have an idea on how much yarn you were going to need to make it the size you want or are you buying as you go?  Those last rounds are really going to eat up a lot of yarn. 

Linda 4 inches is enough to make getting around rough especially when you don't have crews to clear the roads and have to wait for it to melt.  Hope its gone so you can make your appointments.  Know what you mean by the cabin fever.  Seems like we have missed a lot of activities lately because of the weather.  Its supposed to start snowing here tomorrow afternoon and continue into Sun .  Last I heard we might get 6 inches. 

yarn_monkey so glad to hear Peanut's teeth are doing okay.  I know how hard it is to shovel a gravel drive and ours is pretty long.  If we get a really deep snow it takes the both of us shoveling for two days to be able to get the suv out of the garage and to the road.  If its not too deep we can get out because its down hill.  But you might not get back up the drive if its not shoveled. I tell people that one year Jim bought me an ergonomic snow shovel for Christmas.  It was much easier on my back.  We eventually bought another one because Jim preferred using mine.  I can't tell you how many times I have gone out to help shovel snow only to be left doing it myself because someone went off on a fire call.  The triple wide city drive that I used to shovel before moving out here was a piece of cake compared to this. 

owlvamp oh to be young again so you want to play in the snow, sledding, making snowmen and snow angels.  As an older adult by the time I am through shoveling I am too tired to even think that would be fun. 

Hi bgs, ha ha, i know, it's ok, we can always mail some now, and some later in the month of March for those of us that might do more than one, it's official now, she is a member, welcome to arlene, (snowbear) from Texas, she would love to receive any color but black, and in 6 inches!!! welcome Arlene to our little home away from home, if you have any problems or questions, any one of us, usually can answer, or pm for an answer, lol, Everyone is friendly here, and plays  nicely together, we have a very good group!!

That is a good idea viking, about that sophie thread, good thinking!!  I have shoveled snow on a gravel drive as well, and it really ain't no fun! lol

Linda, poor thing, and bgs, shoveling, gosh, that is some snowl and Owlvamp, those kids are at least enjoying it, lol looks like you got dumped on too, we skidded around this one, just got flurries, and rain, thank goodness, but the cold, sheesh, -4 this am,never warmed up too much either,least no wind to speak of though..

hello to yarnmonkey, glad peanut is healing, kids are soo resillient !

And company next week, works out well for you! ha ha, pile here, pile there, whatever, right, it's all good!!

Lacey, working hard, or hardly working girl??

Glitter, love that quote, TO the Squares!!! Im gonna use that, lol

acreative and tribble, hello out there!! Dragnlady, and Sopo, and Grannyannie, and everyone i missed, a hearty hello!! :clap

Well everyone, don't forget to welcome our new member, (thanks bgs, im glad we could get her in as well!)

Welcome Arlene!! :welcome to the greatest little granny thread around!!

yes angel, it was you that told us about snowflake, thanks, I think i will write down somewhere, that if anything ever happens to me, they are to get ahold of someone on this thread, and let them know, sheesh, don't like to think about that either!!

was just wondering, we are closing out Feb soon, and I know for a fact, that Jan, and Feb birthday girls all got at least ONE puffy, cause i sent them,, lol so was wondering if the past birthday girls were happy with their intake of squares??? seems those months went well, and we have march, and even april actually to work on the march bdays, so,, hope march goes smoothly as well, thanks!!

Welcome snowbear!

I have 4 packages ready for my next trip to the PO.  I need the address for the 5th one and it will be ready.  

katy I also sent squares out to the Jan and Feb birthdays so they got at least 2 puffies. 

Archived