Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Yes bgs I thought at first when they appeared, they were large bees in my flower beds, but the sound, is none like a bee would make, lol, so i looked closer!! they loved my impatients to death!!

your hot water heater, electric viking, probably one of the elements is out...it's only probably operatinug at half, or so I have learned, lol from handyman!! and once one of ours was out, not too expensive to replace, but when handydan does it he has to drain the tank first, i think....

Oh, that would be wonderful if it was just a heating element!! And it looks like we can at least test for that ourselves, whether or not we want to try our own repair.... Oh thank you thank you, Katie, we've been so worried especially with the move coming up.... Obviously we don't want to buy a new water heater just before we move out, but I wouldn't feel right selling someone a house knowing a major appliance was actually bad!

I'm going to be sure to plant impatiens this year. I'd like to draw in hummingbirds someday. Those are annuals, right? I usually focus on perennial flowers, but I do mix in some annuals. I need to start planning for the new place; I'm all excited to have new garden space! :manyheart

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I was having internet issues last night so I didn't get to say hello. The issues seem to have resolved themselves. Same old stuff around here.

I hope everyone is staying warm. We will have a wind chill advisory tomorrow morning so I will be wearing layers of clothing and my coworkers will think I've lost my mind again but I do not like to be cold. Have a great evening!

katy it was all my sister, and you reminded me she also stepped on a nail and had to go in for a tetanus shot.  You definately have to drain a water heater before replacing the elements.  I dare say I know more about the operation than I care to.  The water in our area is very hard causing all sorts of problems-------there really should have been a water softening unit put in.  

viking most likely you will have to address the water heater issue before selling the house----here you would have to at least legally disclose it and often if things aren't working right in the home it won't pass inspection for someone to get the loan approved to purchase it. A few years ago I think I found some good info on the internet about how to do tests to see if it was one of the elements or one of the thermostats.  Our hummingbirds love our rose of sharon bushes.  I put a feeder near my bench so I can sit and watch them.  They get so close at times I could touch them (if I was fast enough).  

yarn_monkey hope Peanut and your sister had a good day. 

It's cooold out today but at least the sunshine coming through the window felt really good.  

HI all!  :waving

It warmed up a little bit today. Funny how not quite 40 feels warm when you haven't gotten anywhere close to it for a while! High tomorrow is 18 and then 22 on Friday so I made sure to enjoy it! We even got some snow melted, thank goodness, even though it wasn't much. 

I even got out of the house!!!  :eek DH and I made a short trip to the post office to see how the roads were and then went to visit Sister and Peanut. The roads were all fine outside of our neighborhood and we got a good visit in and got back before the temperature dropped and things started to freeze again. Peanut is just as happy as usual and Sister is still a nervous wreck but I think she'll recover eventually. Peanut was very happy to see me and we got some good snuggles in. He wasn't too sure about DH because he doesn't see his Unca as often as he sees me, but as soon as DH started to "eat" Peanut's neck, he warmed up pretty quick. He'd scrunch his head way down and just squeal and when DH stopped, Peanut would look back at him, smile, and then throw his head back on DH's chest, like "do it again!"  :manyheart  One of his teeth is still really loose so he might lose that one but the other one seems to tightening up so that's good! 

And a couple pictures!  :D

post-11765-0-05371600-1424309465_thumb.jpg

Loose teeth? What loose teeth?? Although they are a little bigger than they were before and he can't keep his tongue off them. Lol 

post-11765-0-61298900-1424309466_thumb.jpg

So happy to see Auntie!  :heart That's DH in the background. You can see why the "neck eating" was so exciting with that big ole goatee!  :lol

Thanks for everyone's warm thoughts on the tooth situation! It looks like he'll at least be keeping one of them and Peanut really doesn't seem phased either way! 

Oh, he's so precious! He is just a doll. He's going to have so much fun with Auntie and Unca as he gets older!

Brenda, we have pretty extensive disclosures here too, but I'm not sure that they cover "about to fail" as opposed to "has already failed." For the most part it seems appliances aren't really required here (we need our own fridge, washer, dryer for the new place) but an oven is a requirement, and I'd assume water heater would be more like an oven than a fridge. But then, I think a fridge is pretty essential, too!

Also, it turns out DH was thinking it was maybe a heating element, so I don't know why he had me all worried about "OH NO WATER HEATER IS DYING!!" when he didn't actually THINK that. :rant But he was surprised when I said the check was simple enough we could do it ourselves, so maybe he thought the two were the same thing. At least now we know something easy to check and we don't have to be so worried! And maybe if we get it fixed we can finally do all the dishes again....  :help

And thank you for mentioning the Rose of Sharon! I'm hoping to somehow transfer part of mine here to our new place. Cutting, maybe? I have to look up how to do it; I'd just dig it up but it's fairly tall now and it might be too big for that. But the original little plant was a gift from my great aunt, and so I really want to bring at least part of it along with me. (Also wish I'd dug up the gladiolus bulbs last summer, but then I didn't know we'd actually be moving this spring!)

I also have rhododendron, lilac, and forsythia on my need-to-install list for the new house. What are some of y'all's plantings you couldn't do without, for our gardeners?

Viking, I hope your friend comes out better than when she goes in, at least after her recovery period.  Prayers are being said for her and you.

Katie, it's the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board, which is a court of sorts for workers' comp only.  Instead of being called a court reporter or official reporter (like in Superior Court), I'm going to be a Hearing Reporter.  I will be taking verbatim record of everything that takes place, but in this division, it's not often that the transcripts get typed up.  Instead, the judge will dictate to me a summary of the proceedings, and that's what I will be transcribing.  Since I won't be busy typing up all of those transcripts, I will also have clerical duties and will help where needed.  However, as laid back as it sounds, it's actually very busy, especially because lots of WCAB offices closed down and there are less places in which to file and have your claims heard.  Also, they have been operating with not enough hearing reporters.  I'm so excited!  Have I said that before?   :lol

I started my Sophie's Universe afghan!  I'm using Mexican mosaics as my inspiration.  I'm lucky that my LYS carries the perfect colors for this.  I wanted to use special yarn for it this time around.  It's not as expensive as it sounds, but it's more than RHSS or CSS or ILTY.  I'll post progress pictures as I complete the parts :)

I purposefully slept less than I'm used to last night, and I'm tired at the very early hour of 10:53 p.m.  Time for bed!  I need to get used to sleeping early :)

Thanks so much again for the yarn, yarn_monkey!!

Good night, ladies :hug

Maria

I was curious so I had to google the Sophie's Universe afghan... Oh my stars... I am in LOVE.  :manyheart  :manyheart  :manyheart  I wonder if I can come up with random colors from the stash to make work for it... It's just beautiful! 

Yarn monkey, angel... you're killin' me, here! Like I need another thing to work on! :lol

But you know, as I'm looking at this pattern I'm thinking it could be a great way to use up all that DK yarn I got ages ago to make a blanket for Little Viking that I then decided not to make... I was just thinking about that stuff and wondering what I could possibly do with it, since I don't use DK yarn really.... So in that case... thanks! :rofl

hi squares!! hope everyone is doing well this evening!! I think I have my second wind, well,l I guess I should start from the fact that I just didn't sleep much last night, was up till 5 am, then slept a couple hours, and have been up all day, lol... Not really tired now, but inside, I know I must go to bed soon, i have to get up early again tomorrow, this time on purpose, lol we have a brunch in the am, and I can't skip it, lol I have late valentines day monkeys to pass out lol.. They just light up when I bring them little things like this, lol, I love the look on their faces, and the smiles !!

Ok, what else, did a few things I have been meaning to do today, pulled out my "box" of squares I have made,and the notes i had jotted down, and need to write soon, and am currently sort of sorting them, and trying a few, by my notes, they seem to be fine, so we will organize them,and then once again, try writting one or  two down, lol, might need some of you pros here to help me through, i hate writing patterns, it's right up there with negative numbers, ha ha ha!!

I have invited a gal, Snowbear, to come visit on the thread, maybe join if she likes, so hope she checks on us soon, and joins our little family!

Precious little peanut, just wanna kiss his little face!! so cute!!
angel, oh ok, thanks for explaining that to me, and good luck, don't be nervous, this is what you are trained for lady!!

Immafreek, how did your friend come out???

Pineknot, wow, snow huh, well, don't go out in it much, as your area probably isn't able to help much with salting or sanding, or snow removal, not being used to it much.

Oh good viking, hope it is that, the element, was for us, and not too bad expense wise either.

Neighbor called today, no water, it did get really cold last night. They are usually gone south this time of year, but stayed home this winter, due to hubby's health. ANyway, Handyman to the rescue, lol  unfroze it and replaced some "quick connect" or soemthing, i dunno..

When we first moved here, I didn't like where the bathroom stool was, buried back in an almost closet location, so that when the door opened, you were trapped! well, I never ever knew you could move a toliet across a room, in fact, I never gave it even one thought, and one day, came home, and went in the bathroom, and not only was the toliet moved over across the room to a much better local, but it was a brand new one, and I had a "towel closet "shelves, cubbies both, where the toliet used to be, everything put back in order, and boy, I was sure surprised... No wonder he pushed me to go and spend time with a friend across town for the day, lololol, I love where it's at now, and never knew really, one could do that!! I mean, I never even thought about moving it, lol or if you could!

forgive my Potty Talk,lol I just rememberd how delightedly  surprised I was,lol

almost news time, then shower, and then Ill try bed, hope I fall right asleep, I will set the alarm for 730, just in case I sleep so good, lol       take care all!!!!!!

I was curious so I had to google the Sophie's Universe afghan... Oh my stars... I am in LOVE.  :manyheart  :manyheart  :manyheart  I wonder if I can come up with random colors from the stash to make work for it... It's just beautiful! 

Yarn monkey, angel... you're killin' me, here! Like I need another thing to work on! :lol

But you know, as I'm looking at this pattern I'm thinking it could be a great way to use up all that DK yarn I got ages ago to make a blanket for Little Viking that I then decided not to make... I was just thinking about that stuff and wondering what I could possibly do with it, since I don't use DK yarn really.... So in that case... thanks! :rofl

yarn_monkey and VikingRunnerGirl, it's a CAL on Facebook.  When in Facebook, search for "Official CCC Social Group."  Parts are released every Sunday.  There's info there so you can sign up for the newsletter as well.  They issue the parts with great tutorials and videos.  I'm attaching a picture of my inspiration (Mexican mosaic tile work in a bathroom) and what I worked up yesterday.  There are six parts so far.  I made the first three parts.  I plan on getting at least two more colors to add to mine.  I am going through my stash to make a stash one too.  You will love it!  The original pattern is Sophie's Mandala.  Then that was made bigger and squared off and named Sophie's Garden.  The CAL is the afghan sized Sophie, and it became Sophie's Universe.  I've seen people make Sophie's Garden for a baby blanket.  I think you all would love it :)

Here are my inspiration and my current progress :)

Edit: I should have added that the picture that was my inspiration is not mine.  Since I didn't take pictures of the bathrooms that I fell in love with in Mexico, I looked for something similar online :)

post-44469-0-46775900-1424330441_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-44520200-1424330475_thumb.jpg

the colleges are open but not the regular k-12 schools,I'd be surprised if they open tomorrow,the developments are just one big sheet of ice and at 20 degrees its not melting anytime soon,it was 9 earlier this morning,so I guess?? 20 is a warming trend,lol

Thanks, ladies :)  Owlvamp, how I wish that was my bathroom.  It's a picture from the Internet.  I never thought to take pictures of them when I was in Mexico.  If I ever buy a house again, I will have a bathroom redone with this theme :)

Love the Peanut pictures

Angel such a beautiful start to an afghan.  It's amazing how the look changes as you add rounds.

viking hope you get those dishes caught up soon.  So are you getting water warm enough for showers?  The tap water here is mighty cold right now.   Appliances like the stove or refrigerator don't have to be left here with a house.  That's left up to negotiation between buyer and seller.  I don't know what your chances are of starting another rose of sharon by cutting.  Mine shoot out so many seeds that I have to constantly pull them up or mow them off.  

katy you are so lucky to have such a good handyman.  That would have been an awesome surprise to come home and find the toilet moved to a better location

ha, bgs, it was quite a shock for sure, but a good one!!

Nice pics angel, that is a preptty ghan, so muc work, my goodness, I would be working on that till doomsday!! wow though, so colorful!

Oh, brunch was today, got to see the ladies' eyes light up with the valentine monkeys, lol.....I usually take a couple extra, and good thing, as we had another guest today, and she started to hand hers back, so the regs would all get one, and I told her, it's ok, really, i brought extra, lol she was delighted, and may even become a reg, although the early hour of 9, was discussed, lol as she said like me, that's really to early to have to be somewhere, and eat, lol, but whatever, lol

After than home, and did a few things, and continued my pattern sorting box, so many, I must have 2o or more patterns to write up, sheesh,,,,, I wish someone else could do something with my notes, and samples, lol so I wouldn't have to!! he he he..a pattern angel, if there is such a thing, huh!!

i am trying to make one of each, by just my notes, and looking at the sample, so far so good, at least I understand them, lol

Cold here today too Linda, sheesh, winter sure is trying hard to stick around into spring, but Mother Nature never lets him get away for too long,lol

VIking, did you receive a puffy yet??? I sent those squares last week.!!

k-12 closed again tomorrow

the single digits temps for tomorrow we haven't seen since 1994,the weatherman also said we usually have temps this time of year in the 50's,so no wonder this is a shock to our systems!!!

the colleges are open but not the regular k-12 schools,I'd be surprised if they open tomorrow,the developments are just one big sheet of ice and at 20 degrees its not melting anytime soon,it was 9 earlier this morning,so I guess?? 20 is a warming trend,lol

Same here! I haven't left the house since yesterday afternoon and I'm trying to figure out something to eat for dinner tomorrow so I don't have to leave the house again! Lol 

Thanks yarn_monkey. I looked it up also and its beautiful. I want to make it but need to finish a few on my plate first.

I know! I want to make it so bad, but there's another CAL I'm eyeing and I really just don't want to buy the yarn for another project. I may dig through the stash and see what I can come up with.  :reyes

ha, bgs, it was quite a shock for sure, but a good one!!

Nice pics angel, that is a preptty ghan, so muc work, my goodness, I would be working on that till doomsday!! wow though, so colorful!

Oh, brunch was today, got to see the ladies' eyes light up with the valentine monkeys, lol.....I usually take a couple extra, and good thing, as we had another guest today, and she started to hand hers back, so the regs would all get one, and I told her, it's ok, really, i brought extra, lol she was delighted, and may even become a reg, although the early hour of 9, was discussed, lol as she said like me, that's really to early to have to be somewhere, and eat, lol, but whatever, lol

After than home, and did a few things, and continued my pattern sorting box, so many, I must have 2o or more patterns to write up, sheesh,,,,, I wish someone else could do something with my notes, and samples, lol so I wouldn't have to!! he he he..a pattern angel, if there is such a thing, huh!!

i am trying to make one of each, by just my notes, and looking at the sample, so far so good, at least I understand them, lol

Cold here today too Linda, sheesh, winter sure is trying hard to stick around into spring, but Mother Nature never lets him get away for too long,lol

Katie your brunches sound like so much fun! I'm sure they were tickled to get their monkeys. I have to agree though... having to be somewhere at 9, clean and dressed and ready to socialize is asking a lot!  :yes

I've been working on the Sophie's Universe, too. I'm making a Frozen-inspired one. Here's a picture from about a week ago. I'm a little farther along

attachicon.gifIMAG0105.jpg:

Oh that's beautiful!!!  :manyheart Okay I really need to check the stash... and maybe see what's on sale at AC Moore since I got my reward certificate in the mail the other day.  :D

I didn't do too much today. I got yarn boxed up for Maria that will go out tomorrow, got the new square started for the Moogly CAL and worked a little on my scarf. Tonight and tomorrow will be more of the same because I refuse to leave the house when it's so far below freezing! That should make dinner interesting... Lol 

I'm really looking forward to the weekend. It's supposed to get above freezing! And even 50 on Sunday! Sister and I are planning on going out Sunday for lunch and some retail therapy. She needs a break! 

Okay I'm off to spend a couple hours on the last round of this square for Moogly. Yikes. It's going to take some time for sure! It's looking nice so far though, at least.  :)

yarn_monkey and VikingRunnerGirl, it's a CAL on Facebook.  When in Facebook, search for "Official CCC Social Group."  Parts are released every Sunday.  There's info there so you can sign up for the newsletter as well.  They issue the parts with great tutorials and videos.  I'm attaching a picture of my inspiration (Mexican mosaic tile work in a bathroom) and what I worked up yesterday.  There are six parts so far.  I made the first three parts.  I plan on getting at least two more colors to add to mine.  I am going through my stash to make a stash one too.  You will love it!  The original pattern is Sophie's Mandala.  Then that was made bigger and squared off and named Sophie's Garden.  The CAL is the afghan sized Sophie, and it became Sophie's Universe.  I've seen people make Sophie's Garden for a baby blanket.  I think you all would love it :)

Here are my inspiration and my current progress :)

Edit: I should have added that the picture that was my inspiration is not mine.  Since I didn't take pictures of the bathrooms that I fell in love with in Mexico, I looked for something similar online :)

Oh, that's wonderful! You've matched your inspiration really well! It really looks like the center of one of the tiles.

Love the Peanut pictures

Angel such a beautiful start to an afghan.  It's amazing how the look changes as you add rounds.

viking hope you get those dishes caught up soon.  So are you getting water warm enough for showers?  The tap water here is mighty cold right now.   Appliances like the stove or refrigerator don't have to be left here with a house.  That's left up to negotiation between buyer and seller.  I don't know what your chances are of starting another rose of sharon by cutting.  Mine shoot out so many seeds that I have to constantly pull them up or mow them off.  

katy you are so lucky to have such a good handyman.  That would have been an awesome surprise to come home and find the toilet moved to a better location

Ugh... we have barely enough hot water for showers... AND the bathroom is blankety-blank-blanking C-O-L-D these days!! Climbing in there and taking a shower is the last thing I want to do.  :cry Did I ever mention that at the new house, the shower compartment can be closed off from the rest of the bathroom, and that section has its own baseboard heater and thermostat?? I am looking forward to that so much.  :wbrr

!! No, I haven't seen anything yet, I'm pretty sure. The little guy wouldn't let me miss a puffy! Gosh, it ought to be tomorrow if you sent it last week. Heck, it should have been here by now! Even with the holiday Monday and all. The post is usually pretty good to me! I'll keep an extra eye out for it (though when I do see that a package has arrived, unless it's something that should be hidden I always leave it at the mailbox so somebody small can get it when we get home from daycare. :D )

Archived