Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

owlvamp I hope you get the hood figured out.  I have never done one so can't help. 

It's cold here and the ground is white.  We got 3 inches and they have snow in the forecast most every day this week.  It's cold and its going to get colder-----down to 0.  Looking forward to seeing the hummingbirds return. 

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done a couple of hooded things but not sure how much help I would be! 

We're getting a bunch of ice around here, yuck. Can't we get fun snow at least once a year??? lol Puffies in the mail as soon as I can skate to the post office!  lol

I did one hooded sweater once, but it was a long time ago. And it was a long time ago that I started this post, too, so I hope you've been able to figure something out! :-/

Cleaning out, I've got a couple of ends of Lion Brand's Wool-ease (25% wool, balance acrylic) to use up, and a small smattering of Cotton-ease (cotton/acrylic). Would anybody be ok with either of them?

Hi carol, hope you have or had a safe trip home!

Good Morning.

I'm enjoying another quiet morning, everyone is still asleep. Not much going on just enjoying the weekend with family. I will be heading home this afternoon since I have to be at work tomorrow morning. But I'll be back at my daughter's in a couple of weeks to celebrate my grandson's birthday. I think Katie asked about weather, it's been a beautiful low to mid 70s during the day and 40s to 50s at night, it is currently 47 at 6:45am and the sun has been shining the whole weekend. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Hi ya, yep, i have never done a hood either, so sorry....

Good Morning !

I am completely stuck on this Mickey Mouse sweater. Has anyone crochet sweaters with hoods? I contacted the lady I bought the pattern from and no answer yet and I want to have this done by tomorrow. I am so diappointed. I just dont know where to start this hood at. I am so beyond frustrated...

owlvamp I hope you get the hood figured out.  I have never done one so can't help. 

It's cold here and the ground is white.  We got 3 inches and they have snow in the forecast most every day this week.  It's cold and its going to get colder-----down to 0.  Looking forward to seeing the hummingbirds return. 

snow huh, poor little hummingbirds, lol      I know they won't be back for a bit though yet, will they?? I used to have two, in my flowers, hope they return this year as well. One was bigger than the other, but my oh my, they are busy!

Nothing much else to report. was a chiilish day, no sun to speak of, temps in the teens i think, and just an all around "lets make chilli" day, lol

hopefully, ill get some things done tomorrow, just sort of took a day off today, lol you all have a great evening, and Ill check in tomorrow.

Oh Katie, chili sounds like such a good idea!!! I think I need to do that this week! We're not supposed to get anywhere near 40* for almost a week and it's still snowing... been snowing since about 1 this afternoon. Latest forecast says 9-14".  :irk It's supposed to snow until about sunrise and then since we're staying so cold nothing is really going to melt. 

Sister called me tonight right after dinner. Peanut had been chewing on this metal wire microwave stand that Sister has in the kitchen. It's the type with two shelves and on wheels that she uses to put kitchen things on that she doesn't have room for. Anyway, somehow Peanut got his bottom teeth and chin stuck in the bottom shelf and when Sister went to help him, I guess it scared him and he jumped and it's pulled his two bottom teeth (his only teeth) loose. There was a lot of blood and screaming so she wound up calling 911 to have them come look at him. Her boyfriend was still at work and of course I can't get there with the weather, and she was absolutely distraught. She said his teeth are longer than they were before and they're loose but they're still in there. The EMTs said they may fall out or they may tighten back up and stay in... Sister has to call a pediatric dentist tomorrow and make an appointment for him to go in and have a dentist look at them. Peanut was playing and feeling better by the time his Tylenol kicked in. Sister is just a wreck. She feels like the world's worst mother. I told her I can look up all sorts of moms who really are bad mothers and none of them will have anything to do with their children knocking their teeth out! I said she's learned something from this and a lot worse things could have happened and they're just his baby teeth. Obviously she wants him to keep them until they fall out on their own, but he's got a bunch more teeth to come in yet and then he's got adult teeth behind those.  :(  I feel bad for both of them, but I think Peanut is taking it the best. For now we just cross our fingers and pray that these two tighten back up and don't fall out! 

I finished another scarf today using this really pretty mill end yarn I got from AC Moore and started another one. It's self striping black and white and it just looks lovely in a scarf. When I finish the second one, I'll post pictures of both over in the Show and Tell. 

Obviously with the weather we had to cancel our dinner reservations. We wound up having leftovers. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I made myself a baked potato to go along and that helped me get over it. You give me cheese and bacon on anything and I'll survive! Lol! 

We don't have any plans for tomorrow but I'm really hoping we can manage to get out for a little while. Mainly I'm starting to go stir crazy. We didn't do anything yesterday either because of the cold and I just hate being cooped up in the house. One day I can handle, any more than that and I start to get really bored! We'll see though. We live in a neighborhood that they eventually plow but our street is a little culdesac with about 7 houses on it so they never bother plowing until everything else is done. I'd really like to go see Peanut, but we'll just have to see. DH would have to drive me because I don't drive in this mess. 

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm! It's been very quiet in here today!  :hug

I hope Peanut is okay too. One of my daughters fell and her tooth was loose. It did tight up so I hope his does too. Good thing he has permanent teeth coming in later on. She's not a bad mom and you tell her that from us. Accident's happen. Even to the best of us.

I think I might have the hood figured out. The lady contacted me and I hope I'm doing it right but will see.

I hope Peanut is okay too. One of my daughters fell and her tooth was loose. It did tight up so I hope his does too. Good thing he has permanent teeth coming in later on. She's not a bad mom and you tell her that from us. Accident's happen. Even to the best of us.

I think I might have the hood figured out. The lady contacted me and I hope I'm doing it right but will see.

Thank you! I told her he's a baby and he's got wobbly legs and a big ole noggin so he's top heavy and he's going to bang those suckers plenty more times before he really figures out this walking thing! Her boyfriend is less than supportive so I know she feels like a complete failure. I keep telling her she's doing a really good job!  :manyheart

Hey guys been MIA lately. between work, Fire runs/ medical runs getting this blanket done (pics comeing soon) and all of life extras i have been so very busy. But I wanted to let you all know that the blanket is finished I will give it to her around 3 when she comes over. 

Also another bit of good news... My childrens dad gets house arrest starting on the 26th. Yes we have become best friends over the past year and we are going to try again. 16 years later. I have loved this man for 22 yrs he has always been my one.

Hope everyone is well havent caught up on all i have missed yet.

Baby Brantley will hopefully make his appearance today.

love and hugs to you all

snow for Linda, wow, is that the first time it's snowed for a while there???

Yarnmonkey, poor l ittle guy, but hopefully no permanent or serious damage done, and as for your sis, tell her we have all done or gone through something like that with our own when they were little, sooo, hang in there, she did the right thing and called for someone to look at him at least, and made the appointment, he is in good hands with mama....

flurries here is all, sun is supposed to come out, but we'll see, lol

Went out to return some meat dh bought this am, the tag was over what it was, so he assumed beef, I took one look at it, an knew it wasn't so peeled one of the tags back, Lamb chops, no thanks, we don't eat  lamb, ever at all, lol, so took it back, and there ws no problem returning it, and she will alert the meat manager about the tags that cover up what it is.....sigh.....

Wouldnt have gone out, but hd to stop by the bank anyway, so volunterred to take it back for him. It is windy out, and that wind goes right through one too, but other than that, im home for the day!!

will either organize things in the craft room, ( I always do that after project is done, lol as I tend to string things out haphazardly, while working ha ha)   and then see what I can do to keep busy today, so Ill see you all a bit later, take care, stay warm, Carol, we envy you! lol

and yarnmonkey, You inspire me with your meals, they always sound so Delish!!

I went into the craft room today and pulled out all the Caron SS that I have (at least that I could find easily lol) and took pictures and I started to type out a message to you ladies who said you would be interested... But I can't figure out how to attach pictures in a private message, if it's even possible. Does anyone know?? I know I could just post it in the Destashing thread but I wanted to give our ladies first dibs.  :)

katy  my neighbor has fed the hummingbirds for years and she gets a lot of them so it was pretty easy to coax a few over my way.  I love watching them and hearing them buzz by and squeak.  We start looking for them the end of April but its usually early May when we see the first one.  I am always so sad when I realize they have left for winter (usually the first week in Oct)..  

yarn_monkey I hope your little Peanut is doing okay and that his teeth tighten back up.  As hard as you try its just impossible to protect them from everything.  One of my sister's was very accident prone and mom made several trips to the ER with her, she broke her arm, tore her arm on a chain length fence and had to have stitches, stuck popcorn up her nose, etc etc.  She even had to go to the ER to get a crochet hook (thread sized) removed from her thumb so the hooks were taken away and I didn't get them back until we were much older.  Another sister ran in front of someone swinging and got hit in the mouth.  It broke her front teeth (adult) so she has always had crowns or caps there.  

30 minutes ago the sun was shining and snow was melting.  Now the sky is gray and it is snowing pretty hard.  Hopefully it won't amount to much.

yarn_monkey, I hope Peanut is all better soon and has his teeth get firmly put in place again!  How terrifying.  Your poor sister, though, has to realize that kids are almost programmed to get into mischief the second you look away.  I am called paranoid by my brothers and sisters because I am like a hawk with their kids, and even then they've gotten hurt on my watch.  All you can do is learn some first aid and be ready :lol  Hugs to you all :)

I went into the craft room today and pulled out all the Caron SS that I have (at least that I could find easily lol) and took pictures and I started to type out a message to you ladies who said you would be interested... But I can't figure out how to attach pictures in a private message, if it's even possible. Does anyone know?? I know I could just post it in the Destashing thread but I wanted to give our ladies first dibs.  :)

You can e-mail me if you want.  I will PM you my e-mail address.  You can't attach pictures on messages here.

It's less than two weeks now so I can start my new job!  I'm finally getting nervous.  I am very excited, though.  Yay!

I hope everyone is enjoying better weather.  I know some of you are snowed in.  Do you have all the yarn and projects you need to keep you busy?  I can't imagine being trapped like that.  We are very spoiled here.

TTFN!

Maria

Oh, I hope Peanut's teeth tighten back up too! Poor little guy, and poor yarn_Sister! You're right, she probably is taking it much harder than he is. I remember once when Little Viking did a full faceplant on the church floor, when he was just learning to walk - he reached up to grab a table cloth and lean on the table, except there was no table where he grabbed! It was one of those things I saw coming, but too late to be able to do anything about it but watch. He went from vertical straight to horizontal and bonked his head good. No bump or anything, just a red mark, so he was perfectly fine in a few minutes, but I was a mess. Definitely let her know we all agree she's not a bad mom - a bad mom isn't one who doesn't prevent any accidents, a bad mom is one who doesn't get the emergency care when they happen!

Last I checked, there wasn't a way to attach photos to messages. It was a bummer then and it still is!

You know why I really wish it was spring? Because we have way too many dirty dishes, the hot water heater may be going because I don't have enough hot water to do even one normal batch at a time, and since everything is frozen I can't just take them all outside and put them in a pile and turn the hose on them!! :P

Poor Peanut :( they do get bumps bruises and cuts like you wouldnt believe. And I watch my (. And everyone elses kids like ahawk as well) hope all is better soon.

I am going tomorrow morning (630) to take a friend to the hospital for a few outpatient procedures, if everyone could please say a prayer or good thoughts for her it would be much appreciated. Shes really scared. Ill let you all know how she does. And I start my new job tomorrow night. These hours are gonna kick my butt, and helping my friend for the next week or two until shes up and moving ( the dr said about a month till shes back to normal).

Good morning,we did get our 3-4 inches of snow

stay safe everyone

Weather people are saying we only got 6" here... I've been outside and I say it's at least 8"! Although, I'm a really bad judge... Lol 

Hey guys been MIA lately. between work, Fire runs/ medical runs getting this blanket done (pics comeing soon) and all of life extras i have been so very busy. But I wanted to let you all know that the blanket is finished I will give it to her around 3 when she comes over. 

Also another bit of good news... My childrens dad gets house arrest starting on the 26th. Yes we have become best friends over the past year and we are going to try again. 16 years later. I have loved this man for 22 yrs he has always been my one.

Hope everyone is well havent caught up on all i have missed yet.

Baby Brantley will hopefully make his appearance today.

love and hugs to you all

I really hope everything goes wonderfully for you and your childrens' father! Any word on Mr. Brantley yet?  :hug

Hmm not sure why it only quoted part of your post but hopefully I can remember everything! That BBQ I made was the easiest! You take a 3-4 pound pork shoulder roast and stick it in the crockpot with a bottle of BBQ sauce and a 12 ounce can of Coke and put it on low for 10-12 hours. The bone literally fell right out! I keep telling Sister Peanut is doing just fine but it's so hard for her to believe it right now. 

katy  my neighbor has fed the hummingbirds for years and she gets a lot of them so it was pretty easy to coax a few over my way.  I love watching them and hearing them buzz by and squeak.  We start looking for them the end of April but its usually early May when we see the first one.  I am always so sad when I realize they have left for winter (usually the first week in Oct)..  

yarn_monkey I hope your little Peanut is doing okay and that his teeth tighten back up.  As hard as you try its just impossible to protect them from everything.  One of my sister's was very accident prone and mom made several trips to the ER with her, she broke her arm, tore her arm on a chain length fence and had to have stitches, stuck popcorn up her nose, etc etc.  She even had to go to the ER to get a crochet hook (thread sized) removed from her thumb so the hooks were taken away and I didn't get them back until we were much older.  Another sister ran in front of someone swinging and got hit in the mouth.  It broke her front teeth (adult) so she has always had crowns or caps there.  

30 minutes ago the sun was shining and snow was melting.  Now the sky is gray and it is snowing pretty hard.  Hopefully it won't amount to much.

I'm afraid poor Peanut got the short end of the gene pool stick when it comes to being clumsy. :lol  I can't even imagine getting one of those hooks stuck in my thumb! Kind of makes me queasy thinking about it! I don't deal well with blood or pain. Lol 

yarn_monkey, I hope Peanut is all better soon and has his teeth get firmly put in place again!  How terrifying.  Your poor sister, though, has to realize that kids are almost programmed to get into mischief the second you look away.  I am called paranoid by my brothers and sisters because I am like a hawk with their kids, and even then they've gotten hurt on my watch.  All you can do is learn some first aid and be ready   Hugs to you all 

You can e-mail me if you want.  I will PM you my e-mail address.  You can't attach pictures on messages here.

It's less than two weeks now so I can start my new job!  I'm finally getting nervous.  I am very excited, though.  Yay!

I hope everyone is enjoying better weather.  I know some of you are snowed in.  Do you have all the yarn and projects you need to keep you busy?  I can't imagine being trapped like that.  We are very spoiled here.

TTFN!

Maria

One tooth has been tightening up pretty well, but Sister is worried about the other one. She sent me pictures and they're definitely longer than they work. I hope that's not a real bad thing. He's only had them for a couple of months so I figure they still had some growing to do and maybe this just sped the process up a little.  :reyes  And I have plenty of projects to keep me occupied! Yarn and household!  :yes I'm only excited about one of those. Lol

Oh, I hope Peanut's teeth tighten back up too! Poor little guy, and poor yarn_Sister! You're right, she probably is taking it much harder than he is. I remember once when Little Viking did a full faceplant on the church floor, when he was just learning to walk - he reached up to grab a table cloth and lean on the table, except there was no table where he grabbed! It was one of those things I saw coming, but too late to be able to do anything about it but watch. He went from vertical straight to horizontal and bonked his head good. No bump or anything, just a red mark, so he was perfectly fine in a few minutes, but I was a mess. Definitely let her know we all agree she's not a bad mom - a bad mom isn't one who doesn't prevent any accidents, a bad mom is one who doesn't get the emergency care when they happen!

Last I checked, there wasn't a way to attach photos to messages. It was a bummer then and it still is!

You know why I really wish it was spring? Because we have way too many dirty dishes, the hot water heater may be going because I don't have enough hot water to do even one normal batch at a time, and since everything is frozen I can't just take them all outside and put them in a pile and turn the hose on them!! 

Sister said Peanut seems to be doing fine, besides the fact that he doesn't love his new liquid diet. She said when she thinks about it she still feels like she's going to throw up just from the guilt and not being able to see it coming or stop it. I'm working on it with her!  :) I'm afraid he's got a lot more falls to go before he's through! I told her he'll be scaring her and stressing her out for the rest of his life!

Poor Peanut  they do get bumps bruises and cuts like you wouldnt believe. And I watch my (. And everyone elses kids like ahawk as well) hope all is better soon.

I am going tomorrow morning (630) to take a friend to the hospital for a few outpatient procedures, if everyone could please say a prayer or good thoughts for her it would be much appreciated. Shes really scared. Ill let you all know how she does. And I start my new job tomorrow night. These hours are gonna kick my butt, and helping my friend for the next week or two until shes up and moving ( the dr said about a month till shes back to normal).

Prayers and good thoughts for your friend! Keep us updated!  :hug

Got upstairs and pulled out all the Caron SS. I've heard from Maria, but if anyone else was interested, please message me with your email and I'll send you pictures. I'll message everyone I had on my list.  :)

DH went out to get the snow off the cars and the neighbor let him borrow their shovel. It was a plastic one and DH broke it right across the middle. So he got in the car and went to 4 different places before he found a new shovel for the neighbor and one for us. Lucky for me he picked up Chinese on the way home and I didn't have to cook.  :yay

I'm hoping to get out for a little bit tomorrow afternoon depending on ice and temperature and DH can drive me to Sister's to visit Peanut and pick up some flat rate boxes from the post office for the Caron SS. Keep your fingers crossed for decent weather and Peanut Snuggles!  :manyheart

do, sorry bgs to hear of all your sister's and yours?? accidents, and I know I shouldn't have, but I laughed at the crochet hook one, so sorry, my apologies....poor thing!

as for your new job maria, is it for a court, or a private firm you are going to be working for???

I know you will wow them, whatever it is thought!!

Yes bgs I thought at first when they appeared, they were large bees in my flower beds, but the sound, is none like a bee would make, lol, so i looked closer!! they loved my impatients to death!!

Can't send pics, don't know why just get her email, i think angel, and grannie annie, and one more, who was that, oh, sandra, all liked / preferred caron, I too must look up a couple  skeins i know I have somewhere too...

snowed in, no, not here thank goodness, we have just the cold to contend with, I think at least for this season, we will have no more snow, I said it Mother Nature, did you hear that!!!!!!!!

poor little vikingette too, that must have been a hec of a fall, but to only come out with a bump, he must be a real tough little guy!

your hot water heater, electric viking, probably one of the elements is out...it's only probably operatinug at half, or so I have learned, lol from handyman!! and once one of ours was out, not too expensive to replace, but when handydan does it he has to drain the tank first, i think....

My dd, didn't take too many falls, that I can remember, so I was lucky, worst thing, i think she stepped on a nail, and had to go have it dressed, and a tetnus shot, that is about all, she never broke a bone, or anything, but you know, I really do think boys are tougher, lol and are more apt to fall, and bump,and such...

I have nothing to compare it too, i only have a girl, lol

Good thoughts for your friend Immafreak hope it's not too serious.....do let us know. and be careful out there on the roads!

Octavia storm, is gone now?? or has it gone south??

Wishing you all, a great eveing, and a wonderful day tomorrow...come on sunshine, we're gonna have it, but it's still gonna be cold!! lol :manyheart

She said when she thinks about it she still feels like she's going to throw up just from the guilt and not being able to see it coming or stop it.

Oh MAN I have so been there!! Give her a big hug from me and tell her I totally sympathize, and that it will pass as time goes by and she sees that he's just fine! Ugh, I know that sick feeling exactly. It sucks!!

Viking, I hope your friend comes out better than when she goes in, at least after her recovery period.  Prayers are being said for her and you.

Katie, it's the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board, which is a court of sorts for workers' comp only.  Instead of being called a court reporter or official reporter (like in Superior Court), I'm going to be a Hearing Reporter.  I will be taking verbatim record of everything that takes place, but in this division, it's not often that the transcripts get typed up.  Instead, the judge will dictate to me a summary of the proceedings, and that's what I will be transcribing.  Since I won't be busy typing up all of those transcripts, I will also have clerical duties and will help where needed.  However, as laid back as it sounds, it's actually very busy, especially because lots of WCAB offices closed down and there are less places in which to file and have your claims heard.  Also, they have been operating with not enough hearing reporters.  I'm so excited!  Have I said that before?  :lol

I started my Sophie's Universe afghan!  I'm using Mexican mosaics as my inspiration.  I'm lucky that my LYS carries the perfect colors for this.  I wanted to use special yarn for it this time around.  It's not as expensive as it sounds, but it's more than RHSS or CSS or ILTY.  I'll post progress pictures as I complete the parts :)

I purposefully slept less than I'm used to last night, and I'm tired at the very early hour of 10:53 p.m.  Time for bed!  I need to get used to sleeping early :)

Thanks so much again for the yarn, yarn_monkey!!

Good night, ladies :hug

Maria

katy

most times here,we just get flurries and if you blink you miss them,or we'll get a dusting,the sun comes out and its gone

we've been here going on 26 yrs. and I think this is only the 4th or 5th time of real measureable snow that stuck around for more than a day,the temps are not rising so its going to be awhile till this ice encrusted snow goes away.

oops,somehow got someone's elses post above,sorry

Archived