Cathedral Window Afghan - Anyone ever give up on these? (Update - I finally finished!)

Katrala

I've been working on the Cathedral Window Afghan since about April. I put it down for awhile and then picked it up again a couple of weeks ago with renewed interest, hoping to get it finished. After working through half the first season of ER, I was feeling pretty good about it, but then looked at the picture of the completed one and thought, "Oh my goodness, I still have TONS to go!"

I've got a few more rows done since the last picture, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it or not.

The back of it doesn't really look that bad, but I wonder if it would be possible to put some type of backing on it anyway.

Right now my thoughts are, "THIRTY-TWO more Heptagons? Are you kidding me?!?"

Update: I'm finally done! Yay! Those last few rounds are a killer. It's so big that it takes just forever to make one lap around. Especially when you consider working around each half circle.

I haven't blocked it yet and I think I need to at least block the edges so they lay down better.

There are a few things I wish I had done differently and if I ever make another (haha - yeah, right!) I'll change a few things.

Overall, I'm pleased with what I've done. I had no idea how MASSIVE this pattern was when I began. It covers my king bed edge to edge.

The back of it isn't too messy but it's still obviously the back. I've given some thought to putting some type of backing on it, but it's already so heavy to begin with, plus I'd have to cut it so that it fits the shape exactly and my knowledge of sewing and such is extremely limited.

Thanks again for all the comments and encouragement. It definitely helped!

post-35236-135897545554_thumb.jpg

post-35236-135897545558_thumb.jpg

post-35236-135897545561_thumb.jpg

post-35236-135897548786_thumb.jpg

post-35236-135897548792_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you have made is so far beautiful and the colors are really nice maybe you get back to it again a little at a time. The end results are going to be spectacular. Thank you for sharing.

It's looking lovely! It took me about 8 months to complete and I took a break of about a year when I did it. The 32 heptagons are a killer and if I ever make another, I'll do some at the beginning and throughout rather than try to do all 32 at once.

All I can say is stick with it. You'll be so proud of yourself when you finish!

Ya'll are scaring me :lol I've got the pattern and I am so wanting to make this. It's such a beautiful afghan. I know it's going to be time consuming, so I will probably just work it a little at a time. Maybe I'll get it done before I die. :eek

Yours is turning out beautifully, keep at it, and you will be proud of it at the end. You got a lot of people in your cheering section, including me :cheer:cheer:cheer

Oh your afghan is coming out quite nicely!! Like every one has said here....keep with it and when you are done you will be very proud of yourself!! I think this is a very beautiful afghan, but I KNOW I would not have the patience to make it!!!

It is possible to back them. I back most of my afghans then use yarn to quilt hold it .. not hard and works pretty quick actually :) .. keep it up

I have been debating on doing one of these for quite some time. I'm afraid that I never would finish and that's what keeps me from attempting it. Yours is very nice and I hope you do decide to finish. I know you'll appreaciate all the hard work.

I hope you don't give up -- it is looking beautiful so far! You could always finish it off early. I have seen some others posted that they left off some rows. But it doesn't sound like you need it by any particular date so I would just keep going, setting it aside whenever you get too bored with it and coming back when you feel like it. I have projects like that that I work on occasionally. Easy for me to say all this.....I ordered the pamphlet from AA but have never even bought all the yarn. I bought the colors that I could find locally but never ordered the Gemstone. But one day, I will get it all together and start. I have no doubt it will be one of my marathon projects, but it is just too spectacular not to have in my finished projects!

I had no clue how one of these are crocheted and I enjoyed seeing the photos of your progress. You gone too far to turn back ........ keep at it.

:tup

It took me months to finish that beast but it was well worth it. My sister loved it. I had thought of making one for myself, bought the yarn in the colors I wanted and then ditched the idea.

I didn't use two strands anywhere in the pattern - I decided it made it too thick and stiff in those areas. I'm not sure if that helps or not...

but that afghan took me the longest to finish out of every project I have ever made or designed (I didn't design this afghan) It is a beast but when you are done you will be happy. Don't give up on it.

Do as much as you can in the first flush of enthusiasm. Once you get bored and stop it is very difficult to pick up again. I should know, I have forgotten how many years it is since I put it away, and also forgotten where I put it away.

... and thought, "Oh my goodness, I still have TONS to go!"

But, Oh my goodness, you have come so far!! :cheer :cheer :cheer

Keep up the great work, Katrala! It's the nature of the piece, cathedral windows, taking one step at a time to complete, whether done in glass or yarn. I know I'm not alone in looking forward to seeing your finished work of art!

Archived