Cathedral Window Afghan - Anyone ever give up on these? (Update - I finally finished!)

Katrala

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone. They are much appreciated! :ty

I'm a teacher and I'm now over halfway through my summer break. I would really love to get this done before the school year starts, since I know I won't have time to work on it much after that.

I didn't use two strands anywhere in the pattern - I decided it made it too thick and stiff in those areas. I'm not sure if that helps or not...

I used the 2 strands as it stated, but I agree that it looks very thick in those areas. I almost don't want to use the 2 strands for the last part that requires it, but I feel like it will look uneven if I don't.

I really have no idea, but I wonder if the author's intention was to make it look a "deeper" color in those areas?

I'll do some at the beginning and throughout rather than try to do all 32 at once.

Agree 100%!! :hook

I've actually taken a bit of break from the full afghan portion to go ahead and work on some of the heptagons so I won't stop when I get to them. I know if I already have them done when I get there, I'll be much more inclined to go ahead and sew them on quickly.

Do one a day and you'll be done in a month! You can do it!

I never thought of it like this. Thank you! When I read your reply it made those heptagons not seem so bad at all!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know... the only reason I even did the afghan was because it scared me so much and I was intimidated by it. My daughter was 2 when I started and I had only recently joined the 'Ville. I looked at how wonderful this afghan was and thought, "Oh, I could never do that." I realized that I was displaying an attitude that I didn't want to see in my daughter when things got difficult in school - etc. as she got older. That was when I knew I had to at least try it. I had to do the thing that scared me, becuase I was going to expect it of my child.

I'm so very glad that I did it! I actually have something that I can point to and show her (and now my son) when they feel like something is too much of a challenge and say, "you never know what you can do when you try."

Finishing it gave me such an amazing sense of accomplishment. I felt like there was no crochet project that I couldn't do.

Towards the end, and close to where you are - I found that I was only able to crochet 1 round an evening. The wider the afghan gets, the longer each row takes. Don't let that part discourage you. Just look at how far you've come!

Katrala, I admire your taking on a project of this size! I bought the pattern a couple of years ago, but I don't see myself actually doing it, at least not before I retire!

There is a crochet-along (CAL) specifically for the Cathedral Window Afghan here. It was started in 2005, but it still current. There you will get encouragement from others who have done this afghan. You might not want to read all 49 pages (:eek), but if you go to Post #1938 you will find a reference to some errors in the pattern and a link to a blog where you might find some additional help.

I agree with all the others who are encouraging you to complete this afghan. Think how great it will be to point to it and say, "I made that!" :yay

I just got the pattern as a gift last night so I'm excited to get started on it but atm I am working on too many things so it will have to wait. If a pattern is frustrating me too much I just put it down for a while and go back to it later. I'm sure you'll get it done eventually and just think of what you'll have in the end. I love the colors you have used for it and it is coming along beautifully. I have faith that you can do this!

:h5 Fantastic, Katrala! It turned out beautifully; a real work of art. What a wonderfully impressive accomplishment!

Archived