Do you keep a "file box" of squares?

A friend of mine talked the other day about how she'll buy "general" colors, and crochet 4", 6", 8",10", and 12" squares ahead of time (and she's FAST), so that if someone's requesting a square, she can pick one out of the "file" to automatically send or give. Then she'll write the size on a notepad, so she know what she needs to "replenish." I'd never heard of this, but she has a file drawer, with the folder labeled with the color, and a square in each size in the folder. I liked the idea of it, but it would take time for me to build that up. I thought i was doing good to get all of my stash on Ravelry. She's way too organized lol.

Has anyone else ever heard of or done this?

Now that is really organized. I sometimes make a square or two out of leftover yarn, just to use it up, but I don't usually have more than two or three around at a time. Mostly I make warm up America squares, and drop them off at Michaels. If I kept them around here, I'd probably forget where I stored them.

I've heard of people making things in advance for when help is needed, but not sure how they kept it organized. It sounds like a good idea and have been meaning to do something like that for a couple years now, lol. I wish I could be more organized.

A friend of mine talked the other day about how she'll buy "general" colors, and crochet 4", 6", 8",10", and 12" squares ahead of time (and she's FAST), so that if someone's requesting a square, she can pick one out of the "file" to automatically send or give. Then she'll write the size on a notepad, so she know what she needs to "replenish." I'd never heard of this, but she has a file drawer, with the folder labeled with the color, and a square in each size in the folder. I liked the idea of it, but it would take time for me to build that up. I thought i was doing good to get all of my stash on Ravelry. She's way too organized lol.

Has anyone else ever heard of or done this?

I'm going to be like that when I grow up ;)

I don't use a file system but a shoe box system. I make squares in all sizes and put them in the appropriate shoe box. They are labeled 6", 7", 8" etc. This way if anyone needs a specific size I have it. I also have boxes for granny centers, yoyo's, granny's daughters/saltines and a couple of plastic canvas items one group needs. Had to figure out a way to use all the shoe boxes I have around here and this works for me.

Find what works for you and go with it. Keeps things somewhat neat and organzied too.

Wow that is organized. And a great idea. I've read on here, which I thought was a great idea, that she made squares when she was stressed, put them in a box to save to send out when someone neded one. Called them "Stree Squares". I don't know if she was that organized.

Debbi

:eekWOW that is really organized!that is wonderful that she can have them ready to go!:lolthink if I got that organized my family would rush me to the ER thinking I was sick!:lol

you and me both:rofl

• 3 months later...

I have a basket of squares (usually 6") that I can pick and choose from. When I'm practicing a stitch I always try to do it in a square once the square is made I throw it in the basket. I'm not sure I could/would ever be that organized though, my hubby would think it was an imposter living with him and call the police on me. hehe. It is a wonderful idea!!

Now that is a great idea, I am going to have to give it a try. Well, as soon as I can find time to make enough squares to put in the box!!!

I'm obviously never going to be that organized. But I like the idea. I just don't have time to do what I want let alone make up extras. If someone needs something and I know I will have some extra time, I will volunteer. Thats about as organized as I get. Between my kids and my job I can never get anything done.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a good idea. One I may do someday. But that is the operative word - someday. :wink First I need to clean out a lot of excess junk from around this house. Then finish all of the crochet projects I need to finish. You know things for Christmas presents, caps for the church's clothes closet, and a wedding afghan. Maybe after that. The other problem is if I get that organized after over 20 years of marriage to my husband, he may get the idea I'm sick or it might surprise him so much he may have a heart attack. :eek

I love that idea, but I have the same problem with space. Currently I use clear plastic drawers to store finished pieces (or parts). I guess that could work. But then, there's that whole time and organization thing ...

Archived