LYS's should just love crocheters

Sometimes, crocheters are treated badly by some of the local yarn shops. Some people think that knitting is superior to crocheting, which is not true at all. Both are awesome crafts to learn how to do.

Recently I picked up some circulars and made a couple of children's hats. I can't believe how much less yarn knitting uses than crochet. I had always heard that, but I had to see for myself. It's probably about half of the yarn I would have used to make a similar hat crocheting.

My point is that crocheting needs so much more yarn, that the LYS's should just be thrilled when a crocheter steps in the door. And they should not show any disrespect for crocheters. That would be in a perfect world, by the way.

I have one shop in my town that I won't go to because the ladies are rude, and I'll travel a half an hour to the west of me to go to another lys that treats everyone with respect.

So what's your take on this?

:manyheart

Personally, I can't imagine why any LYS would not be helpful, nice, and polite to ANY customers who comes with an interest in purchasing yarn. It shouldn't matter whether the person is a knitter, crocheter, weaver, or wants to use the yarn for some other purpose.

Since an LYS is in business to sell yarn, they should be willing to sell it to anybody who wants to buy it.

The main problem is that they still think we (crocheters) only make afghans, potholders air freshner covers and of course doilies.

I have been told and have heard others say that the sales people have said that some yarn is to good fro crocheters.

Someone on here had a chart that showed how much yarn was used for a particular type of pattern by a knitter and a crocheter. I wish I could find it, so I could take it with me the next time I go to a LYS.

The best thing is to grim and bear it and know secretly that they lost a big sale.

I do both and it still amazes me how much more I use when I crochet.:hook

I think when we hear that a LYS employee/owner said some yarns are too good for crocheters, we may not be hearing exactly what was said. Sort of like the old game of "telephone": by the time the words have been said by a number of people, the end result is not what was originally said.

What seems to be the case, from a number of posts I've seen from LYS owners, is that, on average, the crocheters who come in to their stores seem to expect pricing similar to that of the yarn found in Wal-mart, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. When they see the prices of LYS yarns, they walk out without buying anything.

Many yarns carried by local yarn stores are more expensive than that. I think what maybe the LYS owners are saying isn't that the yarn is too good for crocheters, but instead that many of the crocheters who have come to their stores aren't willing to pay the LYS prices. That is a legitimate statement.

When you're used to paying the inexpensive prices for RHSS or Caron SS, it can be hard to make yourself spend more on the yarns you'll find in most LYSs.

What we need is for more crocheters to learn about the wonderful, gorgeous yarns available in the LYS. No, most people probably can't afford to use those yarns for every project they make, especially if they make lots of things throughout the year. But for very special projects, the LYS-type of yarn is sometimes exactly what is needed, no matter the cost!

If I owned an LYS, I'd much rather be very friendly and supportive to crocheters, appreciating the business for those times when they are willing/able to spend more money on yarn for their projects.

I have never been to a LYS (I don't know of any in my area). My observation is that when I go to the magazine racks of different stores I see 7 or 8 quilting magazines but only one (or two if I'm lucky) Crochet Magazines.

No offense to quilters (I wish I could do that!) But I would like to see more Crochet magazines available.

I have not came across any sort of bad treatment because of crocheting. In fact i have been asked about current projects and favorite yarns. i have ran across a rude owner and employees at one shop and for that they will not see a return visit. i do mainly use my local michaels and joanns for most of my yarn, but for some of the special projects i like to find an unsual yarn that is found at the lys.

We have some stores that treat crocheters like they have the plague, and some where they are wonderful; in fact, one store in particular carries hooks and offers crocheting classes.

It's interesting what is being said about the yarn at the LYS being more expensive. Sometimes, it's not the case. For instance, I often use Patons Classic Merino Wool from Michaels or AC Moore for my crocheted sweaters or hats and scarves, but one LYS owner pointed out one day that there are several wools in their store that are comparable in price or in some cases cheaper.

The main problem is that they still think we (crocheters) only make afghans, potholders air freshner covers and of course doilies.

Musn't forget toilet paper covers!! :heehee I walked out of an LYS a couple of weeks ago without buying anything but then I wasn't looking to buy yarn. I knew what the prices would be like before going in but that's not to say I still didn't suffer a little sticker shock, hee hee. I may go back some day and buy the good stuff for that special project, then again, I may just order online, where the bottom line price is often lower even after adding shipping charges. I'd like to keep my LYS in business but they'll have to be a little more competitive.

The yarn store in my local town is wonderful. The first time I went there I was just there to browse, (and I told them so up front). Nevertheless the ladies working there were very complimentary about my crocheted hat and scarf. They immediately recognized that it was crocheted, even though both of them were knitting. The shop is more knitter friendly in terms of patterns, and supplies, but I didn't feel that they thought crochet was a lesser craft.

Well, we don't have anything outside of AC Moore or Michael's close to me. AC Moore has the better selection so I tend to go there. Prices are fair for the most part, but from time to time I will encounter a knitter with an attitude. That is the only way to describe it. For the most part it will be one of the ladies that has been hired to demonstrate some yarn. So I have learned not to talk to them. I go in get what I need and get out.

I got a bad fibe once at a LYS when we asked where the crochet patterns were. But maybe it seemed like we were more likely there to pet the yarn than buy something!:)

A knitting group was meeting there at the time. And we did buy a pattern and yarn. I wonder if they have trouble with shoplifting there because they always seem to follow you around.

I wonder if they have trouble with shoplifting there because they always seem to follow you around.

That's my thought, too.

I've been to two LYS. At the first one the lady did follow me around. She never knew if I was a crocheter or a knitter.The shop was a house either hers with converted rooms or totally converted, I never really could tell. There was a huge L shaped room with yarn and a table with chairs. No one was at the table. It had lovely yarn that I wanted to look at an touch but with her on my heels I just didn't feel comfortable. There were NO crochet hooks or books but plenty of knitting ones. I've never been back even though it's kind of close.

The second shop is near my MIL which is two hours away from where I live. She took me there. It's a small shop in a quilting store, on the second floor. It had three small rooms with just a little yarn as it was just getting started. I don't even know if it's still there, it's been almost two years. The lady was super nice, left us alone to wonder but told us to ask her if we needed anything. She had crochet hooks and a few books as well as a couple of magazines one of which was Crochet Today that I bought there since I didn't yet have it. MIL bought me some really pretty yarn to make my daughter something.

Sticker shock wasn't the reason for my dislike of the first store. It was rudeness and the unspoken dislike of crocheters.

I've read plenty of stories on here about rudeness, not sticker shock from people going into LYS. Not saying that of course sometimes it is the problem. Plain rudeness is also the problem.

It shouldn't matter what you do with the yarn as long as you're getting paid for it.

THANKFULLY, the LYS I go to welcomes crocheters - and the owner has even allowed me to start a beginners crochet class on Saturdays. On her front door is a "Crochet Friendly" sticker - but the fact that a sticker like this even exists tells you there IS snobbery out there.

The rumor I have heard is that because crocheters use more yarn, we are less likely to spend more on any one skein...we are "cheaper". :eek

Still, in the end, it should even out, right?

I have encountered rudeness at only one yarn store but it had nothing to do with crochet. There are also women in my daughter's knitting group who won't go to a particular store because they aren't treated well (we have never had trouble at that shop). I guess sometimes it has to do with who is working and what mood they are in. I have found in general that people in yarn, fabric, quilting and coss-stitch shops are very friendly, helpful and inquisitive about the customers' projects---which is exactly how it should be.

I agree with the points about how nice it is to use a very special yarn occasionally, and also that some yarns in LYS can be price-competitive with craft store yarns. I'm about an hour from a great LYS that I really enjoy going to, but it might be a good thing it's an hour away! :lol Of course I'm at least 30 min from any craft stores too.

There is a sticky in the Favorite Shops section of Shopping Strip, that lists crochet friendly stores suggested by Villers. (Amy, I just pm'ed you with info on my favorite LYS....would love for it to be added to the list!) :hook:hook

Wow, I don't consider myself a knitter or a crocheter when I go into a LYS; I go into the shop because I love yarn. It seems to me if the people are rude at that particular shop, they would be rude no matter what you do.

I told my DH if I ever won the lottery, I would open a yarn shop and could care less if it were successful or not. Just to be surrounded by yarn and people who love yarn would be my utopia!

What I find offensive is when strangers seem to think it is ok to comment on my project to say that this is a dieing art or they wish they had the time to waste crocheting or knitting. The best comment is why would I waste my time making it when I could buy it in which I promptly reply that they will be glad I am around if disaster strikes, no stores exist and I can make my own!

We don't have anything like Walmart or AC Moores over here so I have no choice but to shop at local LYSs. To be honest, I like supporting these local (non-chain) stores but they are pricey. We don't have access to those big skeins of economical yarn that you have in the USA: our yarn is sold in 50g lots and it is relatively expensive.

The thing is, though, many crocheters primarily buy yarns for afghans or similarly big projects. In this case, of course, you need a LOT of yarn and the oldies-but-goodies like RHSS do the job nicely - better than silk/bamboo mix eco-cotton, for example. :lol

It is beyond me why ANY shopkeeper would be rude to a potential customer:think What difference does it make what I wanted to do with the yarn when I got it home? But I can understand Amy's point.....if LYS yarn is pricier than that found in a larger store many crocheters would find it very expensive to buy huge amounts of expensive yarn to make a large project since, as many of you HAVE pointed out, crocheting:hook uses more yarn:yarn than knitting:knit.

What I find offensive is when strangers seem to think it is ok to comment on my project to say that this is a dieing art or they wish they had the time to waste crocheting or knitting.

I don't get this either...the same people that usually say this are the people who spend hours on end playing video games on their computers or TV, or watching mindless reality shows, or surfing the net...and I could go on and on. We, at least, are creating something beautiful and useful--usually for someone else. :crocheting

There is a place in my town called Handweavers Yarn or something like that. The first time I went in there I was just checking it out. When I told the lady that I crocheted, she seemed indifferent. It was until I asked her about patterns for crochet and flaunting my knowledge did she open up a little and act a little more respectful of me. I did by a fifteen dollar book from her. I have only been in there one other time, but I was looking for something in particular and I couldn't find it there.

I am ravelry and I did a search for groups in my state. It came up with one in my city but it says it is for people who visit this particular store or attend the knitting circles at the store. They seem like knitting snobs to me so I havent joined the group and I am too afraid to visit the store. My fiance suggested it the other day and I was like "I think they might be over priced". So, for now I will stick to Craft 2000 and Joann's, although selection is limited.

I think the problem should be traced to the owner of the LYS. If she doesn't crochet, then she might not be as friendly towards a crocheter because she knows that she doesn't carry the supplies for crocheters and she can't help them if they need it. She probably is familiar with knitting and so that is her area, and not crochet. I went to a free night at my local Yarn shop and I was the only one who crocheted, and the owner couldn't help me at all. I felt like such an outsider that I didn't go back after a month of going. It's too bad that it was the only yarn shop around here. We had a knitting group for a while at JoAnn's but they are gone now that the prices went up and we can't get any groups together for crochet. :hook

Archived