I got SNUBBED yesterday from a KNITTER!!!

Yesterday before work, I ran to Micheals quick to pick up one more skien of this baby yarn, for the baby crocheting marathon I am on..lol.. and a lady, not, said oh the IS nice yarn, you knit? I said, no crochet, and she actually TURNED HER NOSE UP AT ME AND TURNED AWAY!!! Holy Cow!! I just stood there, well good thing I was in a hurry or I woulda went bannanna nuts on her, plus I been sick, soooooo not worth the fight to me yesterday, or today..lol.. so phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I got SNUBBED, first time in my LIFE at a yarn store... hump,...I crochet and am PROUD of it!! Tommorow I will take picks of another of Shillio's desings I finished up at work last night...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I do NOT crochet at work boss lady...:lol I SOOOOOOOOO wished I had the dress with me I was making, oh well, HER loss not mine. Today a not feel good day. But I DID manage to get all the finishing touches done on Shiffios Sundae Dress I made, I got the buttons sewed on, and ALL the roses and the pearls, I need to retake a icture of it now, soooooooooo adorable!!!!!!! :hug

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also sorry that happened to you I haven't really had that type of reaction yet the most I've gotten was from my fiance's friend's girlfriend and she would say I can't crochet but my grandma can

Sorry to hear that. I was at Wally World buying yarn the other day could've been longer then that but anyways I was in the yarn aisle getting some yarn and talking to my ma on my phone and a lady saw the yarn and asked me was I buying all the yarn in my cart and was I knitter. I told yes I was buying the yarn and no I am a crocheter and she just said "oh" and then put her nose up in the air and walked away. My ma asked what was that all about and I purposly walked past her and said, "Oh it was nothing just some lady thinking she's better then me b/c she knits" and my ma said that she wasn't and I said "I know but obviously she doesn't know that" and as I walked away I looked back at her to find that she was just standing there with her mouth open. I know I should,ve been the bigger person and not said anything but I hate it when ppl who knit think their craft is better then crochet to me they're the same no one is better then the other.

I actually had the opposite type of reaction. I was checking out at Lincraft today (Michael's equivalent here in Oz) and had bought a few balls of one of their yarns. The lady at the checkout said "oh, this knits up beautifully" (which is funny as I had just purchased 9 "I taught myself how to CROCHET" kits :lol). I said that I had actually gotten it as it was called for in a pattern in the crochet kit, adding that I (as it seems to be discontinued) was teaching a class and wanted a sample of the yarn to show the class so they could substitute for something else similar if they wanted to try that pattern. She then said that 30 years ago when she first moved out of home (I think that was the story, my brain is a sieve) she taught crochet to support herself. :)

So there you go, even some folks whose brain jumps first to knitting are closet crocheters :lol....

Cheers,

I would've called her a knitwit (I know that's not the correct spelling).:)

joebug i am so sorry you got treated that way the nerve of some people just burns me butt

now when i ran across this sitting here all quiet reading this made me laugh so hard i snorted heheheheheeheh

I'm still in disbelief even after reading all the responses you got! I can't believe someone would be so rude and would actually look down on another needleworker. Such a nice conversation was missed out on just because she was a snob! I don't know WHAT she felt better than you about...needlework is needlework. I don't feel better or worse, I feel a passion, reguardless if it's needles or hooks!

I just don't understand how people can be so rude. To me, crochet and knitting are both important.

But I guess it takes all kinds in this world.

Just take it with a grain of salt, as my mom would say.

:manyheart

Oh my!! Some people are just incredibly rude. I would imagine with an attitude like that she has very few friends....so don't let her opinion make you feel bad.

I crochet and knit, and love both. I don't see why anyone would see one as superior to another, or that any craft has anything to do with social status. Some people are just ignorant and happy to be that way.

She doesn't know what she's missing!! :)

Juli

Unfortunately there are rude people everywhere. If it really was her intention to snub you then, well, I'm very sorry. I both knit and crochet and while they are very different one is not inherently "better" than the other. You may like one better than the other but your craft is not inherently better and the sooner people wrap their heads around that, the better.

Sheesh. Lemme say "better" one more time! :2eek

Yesterday before work, I ran to Micheals quick to pick up one more skien of this baby yarn, for the baby crocheting marathon I am on..lol.. and a lady, not, said oh the IS nice yarn, you knit? I said, no crochet, and she actually TURNED HER NOSE UP AT ME AND TURNED AWAY!!! Holy Cow!! I just stood there, well good thing I was in a hurry or I woulda went bannanna nuts on her, plus I been sick, soooooo not worth the fight to me yesterday, or today..lol.. so phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I got SNUBBED, first time in my LIFE at a yarn store... hump,...I crochet and am PROUD of it!! Tommorow I will take picks of another of Shillio's desings I finished up at work last night...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I do NOT crochet at work boss lady...:lol I SOOOOOOOOO wished I had the dress with me I was making, oh well, HER loss not mine. Today a not feel good day. But I DID manage to get all the finishing touches done on Shiffios Sundae Dress I made, I got the buttons sewed on, and ALL the roses and the pearls, I need to retake a icture of it now, soooooooooo adorable!!!!!!! :hug

Think of it this way, if that woman was going to be like that, you're better off with as little interaction with her as possible:hug

I'm so sorry that happened. So rude of that lady. What makes her thing she is better as a knitter than we, who crochet.

I do both but prefer crocheting - it is easier on my arthritic wrists.

My response to her would be: I do both, can YOU? :lol

Archived