I got SNUBBED yesterday from a KNITTER!!!

Aelita

That's true. I don't think one craft is better than the other either. I think it's a matter of preference. What you like to do.

Carol:hook

Sorry to hear that. I was at Wally World buying yarn the other day could've been longer then that but anyways I was in the yarn aisle getting some yarn and talking to my ma on my phone and a lady saw the yarn and asked me was I buying all the yarn in my cart and was I knitter. I told yes I was buying the yarn and no I am a crocheter and she just said "oh" and then put her nose up in the air and walked away. My ma asked what was that all about and I purposly walked past her and said, "Oh it was nothing just some lady thinking she's better then me b/c she knits" and my ma said that she wasn't and I said "I know but obviously she doesn't know that" and as I walked away I looked back at her to find that she was just standing there with her mouth open. I know I should,ve been the bigger person and not said anything but I hate it when ppl who knit think their craft is better then crochet to me they're the same no one is better then the other.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It amazes me what some people will get their knickers into a snit over. :rolleyes I mean, it's a personal choice between using a hook and needles. So what? If she's that simplistic that she thinks knitting is more "elite" than crochet, she really doesn't have much of a life, does she? She sounds like a miserable person. :yes

Personally, I started out knitting, and while I still do knit, I am also a novice crocheter, and I'm to the point where I prefer to crochet. :hook

Kind of the same happened to me not too long ago in Michael's but the lady was more "stuck up" about being a knitter. (BTW - I DO know how to knit)

Anyway, when she gave me princess kind of look and said that she knit I said, with a HUGE smile on my face (something like) "OH, if you know how to knit you should try crochet. Most Knitters can figure out how to crochet, it just takes more concentration than just the repetative knit and purl and it's worth learning to crochet because you can create such a wide variety of pattern stitches" "You really should try it, you may be able to learn."

I then turned back to choosing my yarn and glanced back at her red face and mouth hanging open.

Gosh I can be mean huh?

Hey I am a Knitwit! A Maricopa Knitwit to be exact. That is the name of my local knit and crochet group. Don't worry I am not taking this personally. If she snubbed you then she is just plain RUDE! We Maricopa Knitwits would never do that. In fact when I joined the group all I could do was crochet. I had no clue about kniting but now that I am learning to knit its not that bad. I will always prefer crochet but that is probably because I know it much better. Either way I would never do that to anyone. THat is just down right RUDE!!!!

She's just jealous. :nahnah I've never encountered that in person and in fact, on another knitting forum that I belong to, most of the knitters there are in awe of people who can crochet that border around a knitted piece or make the delicate thread doilies and they SO want to learn how to do it. I can knit but crochet is my first love. You've got to know both to make a statement like that. It's still rude but at least it's an informed rude!

I was in the hair salon awhile back and the sweetest looking woman was working on a square and I said something to her about it and she looked so relieved because I said I crocheted too. Then I told her about C-ville and how to find it but I don't know if she ever did. I hope so.

Don't you worry about 'that ole bat' ONE MINUTE. I guarantee that in all good timing it WILL happen to her. Remember what goes around always comes back around and it will come back to her. We all have a craft and we crocheters are very proud of it. Yes, I knit but I prefer to crochet. My very best friend in the world only knits but we will love each other dearly but she has finely admitted after we have known each other for more than ten years that she wants to learn to crochet and I say again FINALLY. So to you - I just would hope that you could see 'that ole bat' get her, as my granddad would say, her 'her come uppance!'

How ridiculous! I can't imagine what a sad person you would have to be to affirm your own self worth by snubbing someone else because you think her craft of choice is inferior. People like that aren't even worth your anger.

There are 2 LYS shops in my town. The first 1 i've been in only once or twice, the owner asked me what I was knitting and i said i'm crocheting. The look on her face said it all. She quickly turned to help another person. I never went back. What a snob. (Others have told me the same).

The second one I go to all the time and she is also a knitter, but knows how to crochet, just prefers knitting. She is so friendly, and carries a lot of crochet cotton and books. When her daughter wanted to work in the shop, she told her that she should learn to crochet so she could help customers with their crochet. She picked it up really fast & is very good at it. (she's 16.) Just wonderful service. Oh yes, i'm a knitter too, but much prefer to crochet.:yes Jan.

I have had this happen to me twice! I couldn't believe it the first time that it happened! I was in a wonderful shop with GORGEOUS yarn! When the lady who worked there found out that I didn't knit, she just walked away from me! Same thing happened at another one.

I found one not to far from where I live and thought I would give it a try. They were the NICEST ladies! Even asked me to come and join them some afternoon and just sit and crochet!!!

It sucks that this lady snubbed you! Her lose!

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I've only had it happen once. I know a lot of knitters and they are a great bunch. Don't let the one rude one get to you! I consider the one I ran into as giving the rest a bad name for no reason. I find that most knitters are wonderful about answering questions. :)

Sore

I knit and crochet (but prefer knitting), I can do both, both serve their purposes. I would never knit a purse and not felt it, it would be too stretchy, cut I've crochetd many purses and not felted them, just use a smaller hook and pull tighter (and get hand cramps).

I've never encountered a snobby knitter, in fact all the knitters at my LYS want to learn how to crochet. Now I have encountered snobby crocheters. 2 old (ok they weren't old) cronies came into the LYS one day, touched every yarn, rubbed white yarn on thier makeup filled faces (ew) and finally looked a a shawl draped over a mirror. One said "oh this is beautiful, look at the little beads on here, who made this?" the owner told them a customer did, she says "oh it's beautiful, what stitch is this?" the owner said "oh it's just plain old knit and purl and the lace parts and feather & fan" old crony dropped the shawl like a hot potato. "It's knitted! UGH! Snobby knitters, I knew they wouldn't have Red Heart here" owner says "no ma'am I don't stock red heart, but Michaels does carry it". Old crony says "we're leaving this place, ugh!".

So there are crochet snobs, maybe just those 2. They were funny.

I wonder if at least some of these shop owners who do walk away from crocheters walk off because they can't help you with your craft and they know it. Perhaps they realize they don't know enough to even help you choose appropriate yarns/threads for it. Since I am trying to read minds here I would not venture to assign a percentage of people who think like this, but I bet it's at least some. Maybe a tad embarrassed because they can't help you?

It's so easy to mis-read people. I hope others give me the benefit of the doubt if I appear to act rude because I assure you, that is not my intention, ever.

You just found a NASTY person.....I have had knitters stop looking through yarn (and we all know how much fun that can be) to help me find a long afghan hook with a hook on both ends.....we couldn't find any, but during the search we talked about great LYSes and how much fun it is to create something unique and one of a kind.....the world is full of lovely people with a few losers thrown in.....don't let the losers get you down!:hook

I really don't know why some people who knit think they are better than you. It really is so stupid. I don't think one craft is better than the other. I can't believe how some can be so snobby over it. I am sorry to hear it happened to you.

You just found a NASTY person.....I have had knitters stop looking through yarn (and we all know how much fun that can be) to help me find a long afghan hook with a hook on both ends.....we couldn't find any, but during the search we talked about great LYSes and how much fun it is to create something unique and one of a kind.....the world is full of lovely people with a few losers thrown in.....don't let the losers get you down!:hook

I have to agree as well. I go to a group every wednesday and the majority of them all Knit, but they are so nice, and are not snobby at all because I crochet. They also have beginners night for beginners wanting to learn knit OR crochet. Not everyone who knits is like the one you ran into. I am sorry that you did have to meet someone who was!

That was rude of those people, but I guess their mommas didn't teach them no manners! I've gotten that a couple times myself. On the other side of that coin though, I just had a great conversation with a woman the other day in A. C. Moore. She was looking for a pattern book for hats (she knits mostly but does crochet) She did say that there's a lot more that you can do in crochet but she prefers knit hats to donate. I told her I like a lot of the knit lacy shawls ut I'm afraid to try. Anyway, she'd tried to look for patterns online but she didn't know about any of the free sites, like knitting or crochet pattern central, daily crocheter, freepatterns, Garn studio, etc, etc. She didn't realize that most of the yarn companies have free patterns too. Only knew about Lion site. Anyway, I wrote a bunch of sites down for her & we exchanged emails. I was really bad & told her about Gourmet Crochet. She's a goner now. LOL There's a great group in my town of both knitters & crocheters who meet 2x a month to work on projects. They don't care what you do or your skill level. Just come join in when you have the time. It's really great.

At an A.C. Moore, a girl (15?) asked me if I knit. I said crochet. She said she crocheted and knew basic knit/purl. She wanted help with a knit pattern. Then she asked why can't they have this, a ripple with cable(?) stitches, in crochet :think. We looked through all the books of ripple afghans. We found some thing she liked better in a baby size. I told her how to figure the multiples for the pattern stitch so she could make it bigger. I told her about Crochetville, I hope she joins us. :hug

Ellie 13

There are 2 LYS shops in my town. The first 1 i've been in only once or twice, the owner asked me what I was knitting and i said i'm crocheting. The look on her face said it all. She quickly turned to help another person. I never went back. What a snob. (Others have told me the same).

The second one I go to all the time and she is also a knitter, but knows how to crochet, just prefers knitting. She is so friendly, and carries a lot of crochet cotton and books. When her daughter wanted to work in the shop, she told her that she should learn to crochet so she could help customers with their crochet. She picked it up really fast & is very good at it. (she's 16.) Just wonderful service. Oh yes, i'm a knitter too, but much prefer to crochet.:yes Jan.

This sounds like a store I went into in my town here in Michigan. It's a new store and I was in there looking at the yarn when I heard the group of women that were sitting on the couch knitting say to someone "your lucky she didn't thrown you out...talking about crochet in here" I turned around and looked at them and they didn't seem to be joking??? That was the last time I was in there. Too bad because it is very close to my house. I knit and crochet but can't understand why someone would think one is better then the other???:think:think

This sounds like a store I went into in my town here in Michigan. It's a new store and I was in there looking at the yarn when I heard the group of women that were sitting on the couch knitting say to someone "your lucky she didn't thrown you out...talking about crochet in here" I turned around and looked at them and they didn't seem to be joking??? That was the last time I was in there. Too bad because it is very close to my house. I knit and crochet but can't understand why someone would think one is better then the other???:think:think

In this tight economy and with competition from big stores, these LYSs need to be as inclusive as they can. The attitude in that store is not only rude, but will result in financial loss if they alienate possibly half of their potential customer base. Not only are the snobby types rude, they're also not very bright.

Archived