I got SNUBBED yesterday from a KNITTER!!!

I think the most ridiculous thing I've encountered is when a "friend" saw I was learning how to knit and said, "I'm so glad you've graduated to knitting" -- like crocheting is some sort of lesser "beginner" craft. I like doing both, and frankly one is not better than the other. It's like saying an orange is better than an apple! :think

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In this tight economy and with competition from big stores, these LYSs need to be as inclusive as they can. The attitude in that store is not only rude, but will result in financial loss if they alienate possibly half of their potential customer base. Not only are the snobby types rude, they're also not very bright.

That's was a LYS owner said to me, and then said "It's YARN, it's made to make things, it doesn't specify WHAT for a reason, because YARN is not EXCLUSIVE, only people are." She doesn't crochet, she's said that she'd like to get some crochet tools and patterns in the store, but it would have to wait until finances allowed it (the store's only been open a year).

Most people are just too thrilled to find another yarn addict to think about being snobby. I know snobs abound in both the crochet and knit camps, but you'll notice that those folks tend to be snobs about other things too, not just their craft. Most crafters I've met have been just the opposite of snobs..warm, generous, and exceedingly wonderful to know. I feel sorry for the folks who need to make themselves look better(in their own mind) by belittling someone else. They're really missing the 'good stuff' in life.

I had something similar happen to me. I had made a shawl to donate to a silent auction for a group I belong to. This young woman knows I knit as well, but the shawl was crocheted. When someone commented on the knit shawl, she corrected them and said "it's crocheted" as if it were a bad word. As if non-craft people even know or CARE how it's made! They were showing appreciation for the item and the work involved and that was what counted. She asked me later what kind of yarn it was and when I told her it was an acrylic, she acted all shocked and appalled that I would use an acrylic and that an acrylic could be that soft and nice! I was so irritated.

So this was someone that knew me, knew that I knit as well as crocheted. So stupid, the whole thing. Why do they care? It's like someone said before, they must feel awfully bad about themselves if they have to put someone else down for something dumb like that. I knit and crochet and like them both for different reasons. So there. lol.

I've never had that problem here in Indiana! I always run into other crocheters and have wonderful chats with them, guess crocheting is the popular craft around here! LOL Also met a young girl on the bus who was tatting, she makes beautiful bracelets. The ages vary alot too, from very young to the older generations. Everytime I have a cart full of yarn I get asked what I'm crocheting.

• 2 months later...

I am so sorry for you that happened. I have noticed that some knitters believe they are superior to those of us who crochet. I don't know why. There are many beautiful designs in crochet that I don't believe a knitter can copycat. SO THERE SNUBBY KNITTIN, RUDE, UNLADYLIKE - THANKS, I DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE YOU.

Thank you for my chance to vent. lol Linda

Oh, JoAnn, I'm sorry you had to deal with the aggravation! Insecure people like to make themselves feel superior by belittling and snubbing others. Don't worry, I'm sure that lady just earned a ton of bad karma points, and what goes around, comes around.

How terrible. I've had non-crafters sort of snub any sort of yarn work.. but whatever. I usually ignore that. Knitters and Crocheters really should stick together though.

Besides... aren't there slightly curved knitting needles (I don't knit so I don't know...)...

But isn't that CLOSE to crochet? Cheaters. hehe.

I wonder if at least some of these shop owners who do walk away from crocheters walk off because they can't help you with your craft and they know it. Perhaps they realize they don't know enough to even help you choose appropriate yarns/threads for it. Since I am trying to read minds here I would not venture to assign a percentage of people who think like this, but I bet it's at least some. Maybe a tad embarrassed because they can't help you?

It's so easy to mis-read people. I hope others give me the benefit of the doubt if I appear to act rude because I assure you, that is not my intention, ever.

I tend to agree with HomekeepingGran here. I do all sorts of crafts from crocheting to cross stitch to lapidary (rock/mineral cutting) to wood work. I'm so use to those "deer in the headlights" stares when I talk about something I am making I've learned to just move on. When I find another crafter of any sort I'm always interested in what they do. Daytona stinks for crafters. All we have is Michaels and Joann's. Our AC Moore shut down and I've tried searching for a yarn shop (or any other crafting store) with no luck. The only privately owned crafting store we have is focused more on embroidery, the one craft I don't do, but at least they don't talk down to us cross stitchers! LOL

sorry if this is a repeat..(I posted it yesterday but it doesn't seem to be here)

When I took knitted baby things to showers, the response was warm. When I started taking crocheted outfits, folks went nuts. I think it's the fact that everyone's seen tons of machine-knitted baby things in stores. Those outfits with adorable lacy crocheted pinafores and crocheted baby crocs or maryjanes make everyone break into a grin. Very rewarding.

Archived