lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

My Mom taught me the basics...chain, sc, dc. I made a mess of my first scarf. I kept going. Then I was off and on for a few years. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I read pamphlets from the store and figured it out. Now I can't quit. It's been around 40 years! I love the internet! I love CV!

• 2 weeks later...

my great-grandma taught me how to crochet when I was 8...I picked right up on it. I always asked her questions like Grany how'd you do that? lol...Grany taught me a lot when I was growing up...I spent many summers with her. I love and miss her a lot. Cant wait til I have kids to teach and tell them about her

I learned off of YouTube. I had wanted to learn how for a while, but none of my friends in town crochet. I have a friend that knits, but crochet always looked like much more fun :) So, one day I went out and bought myself some cheap yarn and a hook, and went online and got started! I'm hooked!

I've always adored crochet so I bought a book, hook and yarn and taught myself lo many years ago. :D

I also learned to knit a little, but I'm so slow it's pathetic. Guess I'll stick with what I love best.:crocheting

i was taught in jr high school but never picked it back up .till i had a client that croched an it came back good if i had questons i asked her .i am a lefty so if i wasch her strat on i is right to me i just cant seem to get the afghan stich dont know why

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I learned from books. It was failure of imagination on my part, but I didn't start looking at anything to do with crochet online until this year... And now, here I am! :D

I bought a book from walmart, it came with starting hooks, needles & other stuff, called "I taught myself to crochet."

I have since then found all the patterns & tutorials on the internet & have went from there!

I say my Mum taught me but she and I sort of learnt together a few years ago. She's not very computer literate so she uses books whereas I use the internet mostly but we send each other interesting patterns and photos of what we've done. It works out nicely.

I was taught to chain on my fingers at about 10, but didn't do much else till a few years ago. I needed stress relief and knitting was just too....involved. I know how to knit (learned at 5-ish), and I am using that for some socks, but crochet was just wonderful. My first few projects were afghans, but I moved right on to adapting a blanket pattern to a table runner. I didn't know you weren't supposed to be able to just start 'designing', hee.

I taught myself to crochet with a book, that I still have to this day.

We did not have computers in those days. And, you could buy yarn at the local grocery stores and The Bay. Today, those stores do not sell yarn. LOL times have changed.

• 3 weeks later...

My grandma taught me how to crochet at least the basics, then I used books and the internet to learn more. I've since passed it on teaching a friend, my MIL, and several students.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I used to watch family members do it but recently I decided to teach myself through youtube videos and it worked.. I not only learned how to crochet I learned how to read patterns from watching youtube videos

My mother taught me to crochet. Sh only knew a few patterns and when she wanted to learn a new stitch someone would have to show her. My basics was from my mother.

• 3 weeks later...

I taught myself this June (2011) with the help of youtube tutorials and peoples blogs on the internet. I don't know why it just finally all clicked into place, but it did and since then I've hardly put my hook down! :lol:crocheting

I've wanted to learn for so long, years really, but each time I tried (I had no one to show me) I just couldn't get it. I suddenly realised this time I'd been mixing UK and US terms and I only had one size hook for everything, so now I have a nice selection of hooks and although I'm from the UK, I'm sticking with US terms!

:hook

• 1 month later...

I chose self taught, my grandmother did teach me how to get started, but after that I taught myself to do everything else, with help of the internet. I usually alter patterns, I will usually make a pattern just like it is and then see what I don't like about it and fix it myself.

My grandmother taught all her grandkids that wanted to learn. I learned to crochet,knit,make rag rugs,sew,quilt,

and crewel work. All of this was learned before we started

school. We often spent many hours on the farm with our grnadparents.:hug

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...