lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

I taught myself- sort of. I used tutorials on YouTube (I love Teresa's tutorials) and eventually I learned how to read patterns. I still can't do the advanced stuf...

My inspiration for crocheting came from this woman who passed away several years ago. She was my ex's mother and I saw her crocheting a little yellow dress for her granddaughter and I started asking her about it. She said she would teach me one day... But it never happened. When her husband was moving he was going to throw away this simple piece that she had done in sc ( I think) and I told him I would hold onto it. After I had that I got some really bad yarn out of the closet (my mother had bought a little basket full of scrap yarn at a garage sale) and I got to work. Now I am able to make gifts for people I love and I feel like I am keeping part of her alive. I really liked her cause she was such a sweet sweet lady.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried learning growing up from my mom but I guess as she is left and I am right I never caught on. In 1999 I was determined to make a blanket for my son (I was pregnant) and I guess my hormones were align just right because after 2 classes at the local craft store I was able to crochet. :cheer

I can't recall the gals name but I remember she just showed me the stitches and had me practice practice and practice. (sc hdc dc and treble)

YES, I did make my son a blanket and my older son and I used to make afghans to giveaway and I haven't stopped. I love it. :manyheart

Funny story, My mom taught me over the phone I was 7 months pregnant with my 5 child and I needed something to do so that I could relieve the stress of the day and I started looking up hobbies and I saw crochet and knitting. I remebered that my mom crocheted and I went to the store bought a 6 pack of hooks and some yarn and I was going to make me a baby blanket with a matching hat and booties. She taught me over the phone and when I annoyed her to the point i used YOUTUBE for help as well. I HAVEN'T LOOKED BACK SINCE NOW I'M CROCHETING ALOT OF RANDOM STUFF BUT I LOVE EVERY PROJECT START TO FINISH :cheer

• 3 weeks later...

I envy the people who were able to teach themselves, my great-grandmother taught me. Twice, actually, because the first time I gave up and forgot :P

Since then I've discovered my love for amigurumi, which my Mimi never really did. I guess I've taught myself a bit.

My great aunt tried to teach me when I was younger, but all I did was makes lots and lots of chain, and then forgot about it. Fast forward about 20 years, and a coworker at the job I had at the time showed me how to do all the stitches, and I made a baby blanket for my nephew. I've made things off and on ever since.

Just after my husband and I were married, my mother-in-law was determined to teach me to crochet but she is right handed and I am left handed. She tried to crochet left handed to teach me the basics. Needless to say, that didn't work out very well. She had a book on learning to crochet for right handers and I propped this book up on my dresser facing the mirror and finally learned the stitches that way.My very first project was crocheting a border on a pair of hand embroidered pillowcases which she taught me to do the embroidery on.

Edited by silverbelle29

A sweet lady from N.Y. who passed away many years ago,

she was my landlord and was the one who taught me.

She used to make blankets, so my first project was a twin size blanket.

Later on I learned to read patterns,and started making doilies and lots of other things.

I'm very thankfull to her for taking out time to teach me.

Like a lot of people, my grandma taught me how to crochet. But I didn't really know much beyond making a chain. But that was back when I was like.. 6 or 7. When I finally picked up crocheting again, a book and the internet taught me more of what I know now.

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was about 7 or 8. I stuck with it for a couple of years and then left it behind until I was pregnant with my son (16 years ago). Then I had an attack of nostalgia. Picked up the hook again and that was it. I was back into it.

I had a roommate who left behind tons of yarn and I got the stash that was discovered at my husband's grandmother's house after she died. I have a lot of yarn and I'm trying to use it up. Unfortunately I don't seem to be getting very far. I have a nasty habit of just buying any yarn I think looks cute. "Oh I know just the pattern to use with this one!" I'm sure that you all know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother taught me when I was a kid. I spent a lot of time with her in the summers and she needed something to keep me busy so I wouldn't drive her nuts, lol. I stopped when I hit my teen years and then picked it up again right before my oldest daughter was born and had to relearn pretty much everything beyond a sc.

I bought a teach yourself kit at michaels but it didn't get me beyond a chain. Lol I went on youtube and looked up left handed tutorials and that was that. Now I've got people who are trying to get me to teach them but I'm lefty and they are righty so I have no clue how to teach them but ill give it a shot.

Grandma taught me when I was 7 years old with a white hankie (no tissues) size 14 steel hook and a spool of thread. I still have those hooks, with a few of the hankies.

Even though my aunt inspired me to crochet and I asked her to teach me, I bought a crochet book and had the basics down before we had a chance to get together for a lesson.

• 2 weeks later...

My Aunt taught me how to crochet at around age 8 but I didn't know the names of the stitches I was doing or how to read a pattern. When I was in the 6th grade I had the opportunity to join a crochet club and was taught how to read patterns as well as abbreviations and a variety of stitches.

I've been crocheting for over 30 years now and am still learning new techniques and stitches from books, internet and magazines. Crochet has really grown since I first started out.

I learned to crochet when I was about 7 years old from my step grandmother and my grandmother. Then my husbands grandmother taught me how to really crochet different stitches and following patterns. Since then i have really been a self teacher. I like to learn by watching videos and seeing it be done on youtube or by watching individuals work.

Penny:c9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My mother was one of those knitting snobs, who thought crochet was beneath us. I did learn to knit (and I still do knit), but like all teenagers I longed to try something that was forbidden! :devil

My aunt's cleaning lady was the one who taught me how to crochet.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I was about 12, and needed something to do during the long car rides during family vacations. I chose crochet because the materials were cheap, and to be honest, I was too intimidated by learning to use 2 needles at one time.

I wasn't very good, I only learned how to chain and double stitch, and never very well. Then a few years ago my Be Fri got pregnant around the same time I was going through a very stressful period of my life, and now I crochet any time I have more than 10 minutes to kill!