lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

my late grandma, she taught me belive it or not to crochet a sach for my closet. she could also just look at a pattern and beable to make the same one. miss her a lot. nana

My aunt is an excellent crocheter, but she lives far from us. When I was little, though, there were numerous examples of her work in our house. I loved them, and wanted to be able to make them - I learnt to knit when I was 4, and by seven was sure that I could learn. My mum, however, didn't know how to crochet, the lacemaking gene having passed her by. In 1970, though, we were living in Australia, and for home ec had to produce a couple of pieces of a certain level of difficulty, so my music teacher taught me the basics. I haven't looked back since.

My great grandmother taught me, which was an odd experience as she was suffering from Alzheimer diseas and dementia at the time. I still have many of her handwritten patterns and stitch notes, but I am not sure what a lot of them look like or even what some are supposed to make. Ah well, some year I'll buckle down and get through at least the stitch notes.

Was taught to crochet by a lady whos mum I was looking after in my job as a care assistant, my mum (who I sadly lost last year:() had given me a book and as knitting was rarely successful, I was desperate to try something to express my creative side. The only problem I have here in the UK is lack of local supplies!! Where have all the wool shops gone!!:thinkAnyway much to my husbands disgust, I absolutely love it and am now quite accomplished (even if I say so myself!!) Would love to chat to like minded souls around the world as mentioned before, my husband thinks crochet is for old ladies! I am only forty one (and still act twenty one!!):D

Thank goodness for the internet otherwise I would never have any supplies!!

• 3 weeks later...

The lady I call my second mom taught me when I was twelve. She crochets some of the most beautiful things. She baby sat me from the time I was six weeks old till I was about twelve I guess, but I always went to see her.

My paternal grandma was the one that showed me how to crochet.. she started me out around the age of five or six using a Q hook and two strands of yarn. She showed me how to chain first... then how to make sc.. to make my first pillow. She also taught me how to embroider, knit and other craft items. She passed away several years ago and I truly miss her.

Honestly, i taught myself, a daunting task, Ill admit, however willpower and determination won out and i learned! No stopping me from that point on! The first thing I taught myself, was the granny square, either love um or hate um, lol My grandma however, did teach me to knit when i was but knee high to a crochet hook! thanks Mimo!

My Grandma taught me how to do a granny square when I was 4 or so. After that I taught myself how to do different stitches and different patterns with the help of books. Most recently I taught my self tunisian crochet with the help of nexstitch.com

My cousin taught me how to do the very basic granny square and I have taught myself the rest from trial and error and also from goggling and watching things on you tube. I love the internet lol.

self-taught here, with LOTS of help from the internet. took me a while to get the hang of it, but i'm doing better. still only a month into my endeavor here, but it's going much smoother now than it was the very first week lol! :)

I also am self taught, i actuallly bought a book to get me started but couldn't follow it well so looked to youtube and after a month or so got a lot better and I've been crocheting for almost a year now and I love it:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I checked all but the professional option. My aunt taught me to chain, from there I picked up a book from the library that taught myself the stitches. I returned the book 2days later, discovered the wonderful world of online patterns & haven't looked back :crocheting

It amazes me how many people's grand/parents taught them, the older generation of my family knows but never bothered to pass it on to my generation :think I finally asked my aunt to teach me at 25.

I still don't knit, I'd love to learn & taught myself the very basics like how to cast on but it just doesn't seem like it's for me.

My grandma taught me when I was seven - my grandpa had just passed and she was living with us for a little while. We spent the weekends crocheting and I loved it. It was mostly basic stuff, though, so over the last few years (I kind of let it slide for 15 years or so) I've used the internet and books to learn some of the more advanced things :)

My mom taught me how to chain stitch using my fingers when I was probably 6 or 7 years old. It was an activity to keep me busy. I used to make these huge chains that went all around the room! When I was about 9 I guess she taught me how to do a granny square (the only thing she knew how to do) and I made a couple but found them boring! I started buying books and taught myself other stitches and how to follow a pattern. I stopped crocheting for about 5 years because life was just too busy it seemed like... and really picked it up again last year and have been hookin' again since.

My mother-in-law taught me how to crochet. It was a difficult process as she taught me right handed (yes, I'm left handed) The chain was it for a while, as a garland around the tree. Then for years it was granny squares.She moved away and I was on my own. I branched out and did sweaters, toys, etc. I'm still in a learning process...I also remember my dad teaching me how to make a chain with my fingers when I was little.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom taught me as a little one, but I left it until she retaught me as my 31st birthday gift. Since then, books have filled in the blanks.

My grandmother taught me first when I was a preteen, then I didn't crochet until after I got married - my mother-in-law crocheted ALL the time! She taught me again and I continued for a number of years - then decided to switch to cross stitch. My daughter started crocheting a few years ago and she got me inspired to pick up the hooks again! I am now working on my first sweater after having done nothing but afghans and a few small stuffed animals when the kids were little. I have also made some preemie caps recently and continue to work on them when I need an easily portable project.