lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

My mom taught me the beginning steps of crochet and knitting. Eye doctor said I needed eye exercises to strengthen the muscles to keep from crossing. I was 9.

I didn't like patterns back then because I liked doing what is now called freeform.

I still prefer making something my way vs patterns. smile

Diana

I was taught to crochet by a friends grandmother over 25 yrs ago. I watched her make granny squares & it fascinated me. She loved that she could share her talent with someone because her dd nor her gd were interested in learning.

My own grandmother could crochet too & made sweater/booty sets for all 3 of my boys when they were born but we didn't live close to her so I didn't get to to learn crochet from her. She was happy that I was learning though.

started making my own patterns for barbie doll clothes for my sister and my neices when I was 17, have knitted adult sweaters with patterns of animals on them. Made baby hats, lapghans prayer shawls, for the church group. My favorite to make are afghans, just finished two for wedding gifts, one was my original pattern. I used I LOVE THIS YARN, it works up nice.

Barbara

God's peace is wonderful

I'm currently learning from the help of my Godmother and the help of the internet when she's not around and I'm in total stuck mode.

&& My Grandmother is starting to want to get back into crochet! So we're going to work together to figure it out.

PS Thanks Crochetville!

My mom taught me when I was 13 (8 years ago) and I did a few small projects, made a blanket for my sister and a couple potholders and then I lost interest. I decided to pick crocheting back up when I started working in a call center last April and had to have my mom reteach me all over again and she's still my lifeline when I get stuck. She gets random text messages and phone calls from me asking her questions all the time :lol

I'm self-taught, but I get my inspiration from my late, great, Nana Rose. She was amazingly creative....could sew, cook and crochet anything!!! I love her dearly, and often think of her when I crochet. So many wonderful memories of this lady....I think of her often when I crochet. I think she'd be happy to know her love of this craft has been passed on.

I was taught by my Gram and my Mom when maaaany years ago. Back then I learned to do borders on hankies and pillowcases. I picked it back up after I was married and taught myself to do the bigger projects and I haven't stopped since.

I was taught by my great-aunt when I was 11 or so. She showed me the basic stitches, what each was & I sort of went from there on my own. I still have a granny afghan that I made when I was about 16 (30+ years). My mom took it to assisted living with her. It became mine again when she passed away. It's become the cuddle me, I'm sick 'ghan. :lol I plan to make a granny quilt for each of my kids for their first anniversary. I'm working on the one for my DS & DIL now for their anniversary in August. I'll get a lot of squares done next week. Hubby is having surgery & will be in the hospital for a few days. I'll bring my crocheting with me to work on while I visit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mom put a hook in my hand when i was a 4 year old nuisance. I got the hang sc, hdc and dc, but i never learned how to chain or solve the biggest mystery: the slip knot! Mom, aunts, mom's friends all very impatient teachers. I didn't know there were patterns or books until 2002; i thought everyone learned from a friend -- but then I also thought all yarn was RHSS or out-of-my-price-range, dry-clean-only wool! I'm glad I've learned!!

• 3 weeks later...

A teacher, Mrs. Travis. She was old, had blue hair and always wore dresses.

I took an elective Home Ec course and learned to crochet and needlepoint. We could have learned knitting but I had no interest.

I still have the sampler I made in high school from that class!!!

My MIL taught me how to do the broomstick stitch. She said all i needed to know how to do was a chain stitch. She was, right and I became hooked. A friend has helped out with deciphering patterns (which I had a hard time reading and understand and still do some) Sites like this have been a huge help as well.

My friend taught me how to do a chain and then rows, but I could'nt seem to get them right, then one morning, I picked it up again and was able to do it! I don;t know is there was a time when I had nothing on my hook(s). :)

• 2 weeks later...

I learned from a very special teacher in school who taught fifth grade I was nine years old and she taught special activities for her students. She not only taught needlework skills she also gave us an appreciaton for opera. I know this teacher must be in heaven as I been crocheting for 50 years plus. I still remmenber my teacher and have not fogotten what a treasure she gave to me. My Mom was great crocheter she could make anything from doilies toys clothes and she taught me knitting I learn from her she wanted me to do squares and I said no I want to make a baby sweater I made that sweater. I do both crochet and knitting, needlepoint and work with small looms too. But crochet is my favorite then knitting. I also shown several people to crochet too. What gift my teacher gave me I also passed on so her memory lives on too. When a pattern was tough my Mom when she was here help me through to understand the directions. I was blessed with people that touch my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Several people. Summers I would live with my mothers mother, and at 4 I started making chains, single and double crochet, Barbie clothes, sometimes very holey Barbie clothes. My fathers mother quilted along with knitting and crochet so she showed me blocks and shells. And my step mothers mom before she became my step grandma only lived 2 miles from me so I would walk to her house for more instruction and crochet help so you could say grandma and leave it at that but all three grandmas got me crocheting. I am very thankful for all of them. Thank you for asking.:D