lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

Spending many hours watching mom and her ex-friend crocheting and they taught me how to do some basics. I would be bored and thought I'd try it out. At the time, I don't think I knew it was a female-only thing (as it was...I think...at the time). Once in a while, I would try watching some videos for some really complicated instructions, but I still consider myself stuck on the easy level.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother tried to teach me how to crochet when I was around seven or eight years old. It took a while for it to click for me since she is a south paw. When I started I was doing a lot of things backwards.

My Grandmother taught me and I have to admit that now that I am in that gramma's age level I think of her often. When I design patterns that recall my childhood etc. I remember her and tip my hook to her generosity. :hook

I learned crochet and things like knitting handsewing embroidery crossstitch etc from a

schoolteacher when I was 8 , she only had classes for girls she lived a few streets away from my home, back in the sixties when this was still part of school lessons , today this is not taught anymore in schools.

My mom taught me in 1975 setting across the table from me. She taught me the chain st, sc and dc and I have done the rest on my own. Designed a few patterns too. She is gone now and I miss her very much. Crocheting keeps me close to her.

• 4 weeks later...

My godmother (I called her Ninang) taught me how to crochet with thread when I was eight. She made crocheted items for the church. I remember the big white filet crochet for the church she was working on, along with her daughters, and I wanted to join in, too. It was great! Her home had many crocheted doilies and antimacassars and tablecloths. It was a lesson that lasted a lifetime, and is now part of my livelihood. Thank you, Ninang!

A friend of mine tried to teach me about 8 years ago, but I didn't stick with it. I kept all the yarn and books and all the stuff. Pulled it about 4 months ago and retaught myself using the books and the internet. Cant believe I ever stopped. Loving it now!

originally I learned in an after school crochet club run by one of the cafeteria workers when i was in middle school...7th grade i beleive..it was about 30 years ago. Then in the intervenening years when i put down the hook and picked it back up i learned from books.

• 4 weeks later...

My sister learnt to crochet granny squares when she was 14, and she taught me, however she no longer does crochet but I still enjoy it and prefer it to knitting, which I can do to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My mother taught me after I showed interest in her free style blankets she use to make for use every winter. I was around 7 or 8 so she did not trust me with her hook, so she taught me to do a chain with my finger. I really believe she just wanted to see if I would stick with it.

My sister learnt to crochet granny squares when she was 14, and she taught me, however she no longer does crochet but I still enjoy it and prefer it to knitting, which I can do to.

Hi Katswhiskas, I prefer to crochet over knitting also. I enjoy the different stitches and watching how they form different designs. I also learned needle point and latch hook{making rugs}.

• 4 weeks later...

My grandma taught me how to do a chain when I was a kid. She also taught me latch hook.

My mother in law tried teaching me crochet, but I got lost in left/right handed conflicts.

A few months ago, I heard of someone learning from YouTube videos, & I gave it a shot. -It's worked for me. I'm grateful for lefty videos!

I'm left handed and taught myself how to crochet, but what I did was ignore which hand was holding what. While this worked for me, it confuses the Dickens out of me when i watch videos or try to teach someone else. So now I just focus on what the hook and yarn are doing.

Now im on a quest to learn how to knit, and I'll learn the correct way this time!

• 3 weeks later...

I got an ami kit for Christmas- the instructions on how to do the basic stitches (slip stitch single crochet) left a little to be desired for a first timer. My mother in law had a friend over for dinner and she showed me where I was going wrong. It was like she turned on a light switch! Suddenly all the instructions in my book made sense and away I went!

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a very small kid, my Grom taught me how to chain, but I never did anything more than that and I would finger knit chains instead because I didn't have my own hook. Very recently I bought a hook, grabbed some yarn, and looked up a few tutorials on YouTube and taught myself how to do single, double, and triple crochet, then a granny square, then half double crochet, then joining as you go. I'm gradually picking up new combinations and m working up to trying out some slightly more complicated/intricate patterns like waves and pineapples. :)