lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

My grandmother taught me to crochet. She also taught me to sew as well. My mom helps me a lot when I have questions now. I am the only grandchild that picked up and continued to crochet. My brother learned to chain but nothing further than that.

• 2 months later...

Well, gee.........I grew up watching my Mom doing thread crochet (dolies, bedspread, etc), and she did manage to teach me to "chain", but patience was not her "long suite).

So it wasn't until I was 20 and sitting in a Volkswagon dealership (getting maintance done on the "bug"). My best friend went with me, and she was crocheting a baby blanket. She taught me the sc and dc with yarn. After that many hours learning on my own (I would lock the door to my bedroom and sit with a pattern until I mastered it or tried!!) After I picked up the "basics", my Mom would help me read and understand a pattern, but she never liked to crochet with yarn. It took me about 7 years to comfortably use thread. I started mainly to provide gifts for people that I was close to, at that time, it was cheaper than buying a present. Have done other crafts too, but crochet remains my favorite obsession. LOL

• 2 months later...

I more or less taught myself, but my mother was available to get me over the rough spots. When I first learned, joining a round was a real problem for me, I had many doilies that peaked in the middle.

A little story about learning to crochet: I use to bite my fingernails really bad, my father would try to pay me to stop biting, nothing helped until I learned to crochet, my hands were so busy, before I knew it I had finger nails.

• 1 month later...

My Granny has crocheted many more years than I've been alive and tried a few times to teach me. But her teaching style and my learning style are not compatible. I taught myself how to knit years ago, but never fell in love with it. A few months ago I bought a hook and taught myself from a book and recently got a new phone I can watch YouTube videos. I'm far from an expert, but am amzed how fast I am picking things up :)

My grandmother tried when I was about 9, I couldn't even figure out how to hold it in my hand, did manage to make a bunch of finger chains, LOL Decided suddenly in Oct., to try, and I was amazed at how I picked it up, since I am normally pathetic at anything wiuth my hands, can't draw a stick figure even. But I am hooked, have crocheted probably almost everyday since accept for holiday gatherings, and some of them I came home and crocheted in bed. I love it, am excited, I just wish there was people in my area I could sit with. None that I know of, very rural area in South/central Ohio

• 9 months later...

My aunt taught me when I was 10, she told me that if you don't learn how to read a pattern then you might as well not learn to crochet. So I learned how to read a pattern and am very greatful for that because I would have never been able to crochet the projects I have crocheted.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided last December to learn how to crochet, texted my Mom to ask her which was easier to learn: wire or yarn crochet.  She texted back "YARN" and I taught myself from then on using books, the interwebs and my Mom's expertise when it comes to fiber and hooks.  Now I buy more yarn than her and spend more time looking at pretty patterns.  I'm looking forward to visiting her and borrowing her iPad to look at the complete set of Wheldon's Practical Crochet she has, I've been eyeing it on Interweave for a while and want to test drive it.

I wish I would have learned how to knit/crochet from my Grandma, she made the most amazing practical items that are still being used today.  I have a pair of mittens that she knitted about 30 years ago, they're amazingly sturdy and known in our house as "The Berlin Wall of MIttens" for how tightly she made them (my Mom has a set of metal size 2 needles she knitted on and those suckers are bent from knitting worsted weight wool).

My mother taught me to chain and double crochet when I was 5 or 6. Except I didn't remember the double crochet stitch for years and I made some very tight items by slip stitching everything. Then one year I bought a book on a few amigurumi dolls and had my first taste of patterns, shortly after got a copy of the Crochet Stitch Bible, and I've been goofing off with weird stuff ever since.

• 5 months later...

When I began to crochet, I didn't have the privilege of a computer.  Old ya know!  I had to teach myself, since I couldn't find another left hander to teach me.  But it's all good. :)

I taught myself, my grandmother who crocheted was long since passed on when I took interest, and my other grandmother only knitted so I just taught myself how to crochet with pictures and videos online. 

• 2 weeks later...

I learned to crochet when I was 11 years old from a neighbor. She was watching us kids while my mom was out of town for the day. That day I started my first afghan. The afghan is now 13 years old and still in great condition. I have attached a photo below. The afghan is simple - double and single crochet rows in alternating stripes of maroon and blue. I treasure the afghan and the memories associated with making it. I distinctly remember sewing in the last ends in the car on a hot September Wednesday while on the way to enter it into a local needlework competition. The afghan won Best in Show for junior exhibits.

Since then, I have been hooked on crochet and make at least 1 or 2 afghans every year.

post-71847-0-61676200-1400493857_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

My maternal Grandmother and her sister taught me the basics when I was very young. I stopped crocheting in my teens and didn't pick it up again until my late 20's. I ended up getting a couple of books to help me remember what they taught me many years before and I've been crocheting non-stop since.

My Mother taught me to crochet when I 8 yrs old. I have crocheting ever since. I am 54 yrs old. My beautiful Mother is 83 yrs old. now. She gets around better than me.I am so thankful for  my Mother. :manyheart

My mom and grandma taught me to crochet when I was 7 or 8. The only thing I could make was toilet paper cozies. For some reason, I quit and just picked it back up and started teaching myself back in the spring.

• 2 months later...

My mom taught me to crochet when I was around 5 years old. I was taught embroidery before that by my grandmother. My mom was an expert at crochet. She made up many of her own patterns. I do some of that but not much and I forget to write down the directions all the time. LOL When I was taught it was before yarn got really popular, but doilies, chair arm covers and antimacassars were really popular. So obviously I learned to crochet with thread. I still remember doing chain stitches and single crochet over and over until I learned how to keep tension and make my stitches all the same size. This took a couple of months working every day, but I did it because I wanted to make a dress for my doll that mom had a pattern for in a little book someone gave her.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

My dear mom taught me the basics many years ago (like about 65). Thanks to the internet and youtube tutorials i was able to learn more

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...