lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

I learned the basic stitches at school, chain, sc, dc , but everything else I taught myself, from magazines (mostly) my mum loved to buy back then, in the 70's, and books.

I prefer diagrammes, or graph, type, I get too lost reading those words-only patterns!

I taught myself :hook Years ago, when my oldest (she's almost 14) was a baby, I got the idea to crochet an afghan. Well that didn't go anywhere LOL. Well it did go to Goodwill for someone else to finish! 12 years later, my youngest daughter was born and I was using cloth diapers and saw all these adorable wool soakers and longies and so I attempted to learn to knit. I'm a bit of a instant gratification type, and got very frustrated that knitting was so slow-moving and hard to correct mistakes. So since I knew the crochet basics I started crocheting again, and after relearning the stitches, I just took off from there. Now I am so thankful to have this rewarding hobby, especially as a SAHM with four kids now...it keeps me centered and lets me tune it all out :lol.

I sure wish I had learned from a grandmother though, neither of mine crocheted/knitted. My grandmother's sister did though, but we weren't close and I never would have thought to ask to learn. My first husband's grandmother and mother crocheted but I never went to them for help with that dumb afghan. Dumb of me. :thumbdown Imagine how awesome I would be know if I had been doing this for the last 14 years, rather than 2.

I guess now I can look forward to being the grandmother who teaches her granddaughters! My oldest daughter crochets now (but she's very impatient!) and my 10 year old knows the basics too.

• Like 1

my sister-in-law tried to teach me and it didn't stick then a few months later a family friend taught me and it stuck now i do way more than she does and she always comes to me when she needs help you would have thought that i had taught her my husband teases her about it all the time he says what happened teacher you need a student to teach u now it makes her laugh every time...

• 1 month later...

My grandmother and Great-grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was 5. We would then sit on the big porch with the porch swing and crochet afghans together once I got the hang of it.

I searched this thread for my name and I guess I haven't responded to it. :blush

Shortly after we married at the end of '72 the mother of a former college roommate taught me how to crochet a granny square. I was thrilled, but wanted to learn more, so I bought a single magazine about crochet which had some "how-to" instructions which were very basic. From them I learned how to single crochet, treble and I'm not sure what else. It was kind of ironic because that dear lady later had me to make a couple of stoles for her and a daughter, claiming the pattern was "too hard" for her. She taught me my first crochet stitches, but then paid me to make those items for her.

Funny how things go sometimes.

My loving & patient grandmother. I was just a mere child then of 5yrs young. I surely do miss her. And one day I shall see her again that is for sure too. She has gone home to be with our heavenly father, she's been there since 1992. Many, many days I wish I could be with her & out of my pain. No worries, he's not done using me here yet so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. So long as my eyes hold out I shall be around hooking & creating as much as possible & passing this craft on to the future generations.

My mom taught me to crochet when I was in kindergarten & I was making doll clothes by the end of the day (with lots of holes in them, but I didn't mind). Crochet has been my true love for so long & I try to do it nearly every night before bed.

A few years ago, I taught myself to crochet lefty in order to teach a friend. The wonderful thing about this is that since then I've had a daughter who is nearly 3 now & is definitely a lefty. She loves to "try" to crochet by playing with the hook & knotting yarn around it. I'm so glad she appears to be interested b/c it won't be too long before I teach her to truly crochet. I'm so excited!

I've always been afraid it would be a dying art b/c I have only met 2 other people in my everyday life who know how to crochet. However, the internet has shown me how alive & well crochet is & how in-style handmade clothing is these days!

When I was a little girl, I used to sit for hours and watch my mom crochet. Then when I got pregnant, I picked up a book and tried to teach myself. I asked for help from time to time, and I watched videos and pbs t.v. shows on it too. I got hooked and now I'm sharing what I know with others. It's really cool!

Teresa

Check out my blog: Lots of Crochet Stitches by, M. J. Joachim

My sweet Mom the queen of afghans taught me how to crochet, just as her Mom taught her. I have taught my daughters and son but right now they are not very intersted. I figure one day they will come to me just like I did to do a spefic project and they will get "hooked" from there.

• 2 weeks later...

it was 50% 50% for me. I learned with books and the internet, and asked for a more personal touch from a knitting group. and it being a knitting group only two people knew how to crochet. but they helped a lot more then the videos. because they could guild your hand and tell you when your doing it wrong. i gave one on my first project to the person who taught me, a hook case.:hook

My Beer drinking, cigarette smoking, cowboy boots wearing, disel mechanic, country music fan, harley-davidson motorcycle rider Uncle Ken!!

And he learned during his time spent in the submarines during his Navy years!!

He looked like a scarry-guy with wild red hair, kenny rogers type beard and piercing blue eyes.

I was 12 or 13 when we started, but only got in a few lessons. He died tragically in an motorcycle accident - he was on his way to see me. With a backpack full of pink yarn.

Took over 20 years to even think about crocheting.

But I did... RIP Uncle!!

A family friend taught me to crochet while she was babysitting me when I was 8 years old over the summer. I have been crocheting ever since! I honestly think that it was one of the greatest things I ever learned because it helps manage stress and gives you such a sense of accomplishment when you finish up a project! :):crocheting

My grandma Cain taught me when I was a kid. She loved to make granny square afghans, but could do anything from the finest thread crochet doily. Hadn't touched a hook in about ten years, but picked it up again last year and I can't get enough. I've also been making afghans, but am going to be brave and try a sweater soon. Thanks grandma. Looking forward to picking everyone's brains when I run into trouble.