Would this be rude....

I have worked hard on a blanket that my younger brother requested I was happy to do it for him. But at the same time I was proud to be done with it. Would it be rude for me to tell him when I give him his blanket on Christmas Eve that after Christmas Eve is over to keep it out of my sight when I am around?

ok so if someone made me a blanket, regardless of their headache, you bet I'm gonna have that thing out for all to see. I'd be telling everyone look what so and so made for me. Isn't it the coolest? Maybe don't say anything and see how he reacts. congrats on finishing a blanket, sometimes its tough to stick with it.

I usually hate questions like this, but I have to answer...yes, it would be bad form to say that to your brother. Have pride in your work, regardless how sick of the sight of it you are...

Who knows? He might be so enamored of it, he'll keep it on his bed just for him to see.

From what you've mentioned of the rest of your family, I think they are the type that will do most anything to get your attention good or bad, so the less given (or at least the less negative given) the better.

I am perplexed. I don't understand why you would never want to see your hard work ever again. :think I love seeing what I've made, I take pictures of a lot of the things that I make so that I can -enjoy- them after they've left me. :lol I think there would be nothing more rewarding than seeing the afghan being put to good use.

I think we've all had one of those projects that when we were finally finished with it we let out a huge sigh of relief and thanked God it's done, then swear NEVER to make another one! I know I've had more than one of those projects. But having completed something like that makes me that much more proud of what I accomplished. I think I would actually be dissapointed if I visited and didn't see the gift anywhere in sight, reasonably speaking of course.

But to answer your question, yes, I think it would be very rude. I know I am proud to use/display gifts that I have been blessed with over the years. I love when the giver sees that I am using what they so thoughtfully made/bought for me. Maybe it's selfish of me to feel that, but I want them to know that I appreciate the gift as well as thier time, energy, and thoughtfulness.

Yup it would be rude. You only have to see it for a little while.

It's not hard to figure out why she wouldn't want to see it. She's sick of seeing it. It's been in her life for weeks. Maybe that's all she worked on for days. Maybe she doesn't like the colors she used but he does. Maybe it was a difficult stitch.

If you said it with a smile it wouldn't be rude. It would be a joke (you are joking right?)

Like the time my mother sent me a sweater that she made and the card read "Don't even THINK of mentioning the mistakes"!

Sorry...gotta put my 2 cents in here...I think yes it would be rude ...if thats how you feel about it why did you make it in the first place...it sounds to me like it was made it without love or putting any feeling into it...I wish I could always see the things I have made...No offense intended here.

Rude might not be the right word but insensitive maybe? Why would you say such a thing to diminish the love with which the gift was made? Gee sis you made me a blanket but it was a pain? It is kind of like saying you were put out to give him a gift in the first place. We really don't need to say everything we think especially if it is not kind.

I think we've all had one of those projects that when we were finally finished with it we let out a huge sigh of relief and thanked God it's done, then swear NEVER to make another one! I know I've had more than one of those projects. But having completed something like that makes me that much more proud of what I accomplished. I think I would actually be dissapointed if I visited and didn't see the gift anywhere in sight, reasonably speaking of course.

But to answer your question, yes, I think it would be very rude. I know I am proud to use/display gifts that I have been blessed with over the years. I love when the giver sees that I am using what they so thoughtfully made/bought for me. Maybe it's selfish of me to feel that, but I want them to know that I appreciate the gift as well as thier time, energy, and thoughtfulness.

I completely agree. And by him displaying it you know he appreciates your work.

I have worked hard on a blanket that my younger brother requested I was happy to do it for him. But at the same time I was proud to be done with it. Would it be rude for me to tell him when I give him his blanket on Christmas Eve that after Christmas Eve is over to keep it out of my sight when I am around?

In my opinion, yes. Just out of curiosity, if you dislike the blanket so much, why did you make it for him? Or was it a case of discovering after you started on it and got a good bit of the way through it that you didn't like it as much as you thought you did? If that's the case, then try to look at it as the blanket that you beat! Every time you see it, feel victorious! You decided you didn't like it yet you stuck with it and you finished it! You won! :clap I think, though, that once you see how much your brother is going to love the blanket you made him, it will soften your heart toward the blanket and you might even LIKE it seeing how much HE likes it. Why not wait and see before deciding beforehand what you are going to say to him? It may end up being nothing like you're expecting.

You know, I've had things I hated to part with, but I always remind myself--They're ulitmately just string and I can make another one just like it anytime I want.

And in the end, I love it when my things are used, abused and loved!!!

Yup, I think it would be out of line to make such a request, since you asked.

Colleen

In my opinion, yes. Just out of curiosity, if you dislike the blanket so much, why did you make it for him? Or was it a case of discovering after you started on it and got a good bit of the way through it that you didn't like it as much as you thought you did? If that's the case, then try to look at it as the blanket that you beat! Every time you see it, feel victorious! You decided you didn't like it yet you stuck with it and you finished it! You won! :clap I think, though, that once you see how much your brother is going to love the blanket you made him, it will soften your heart toward the blanket and you might even LIKE it seeing how much HE likes it. Why not wait and see before deciding beforehand what you are going to say to him? It may end up being nothing like you're expecting.

Exactly!!! Next time you see the blanket (after you've given it, of course) you can think, "Ha! I conquered that blanket!" And feel proud of yourself. That would be much more positive thinking, for you especially, thank thinking of how much you hated to work on it.

Archived