2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

Got boucled out last night so pulled out rug (again) and made a bunch of motifs for it, only have to make 13 more. Used 1 skein and one ball. +3 so that takes a little off of the weeks negative numbers.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... last night I ended up getting 5 skeins of cotton at JoAnn's. Not because it was on sale (although that helped...) but because I needed it for the kitchen swap. Therefore, I'm only temporarilly down 10 points. I'll be getting it all back by the time I finish making things and gifting my swap partner. (I just didn't have enough of the right colors in my stash... too much blue, not enough brights or even white!)

So, for the moment, I've negated all that trashing I did sunday and I'm at +2 WTD / 0 YTD. Still in the positives overall, which is where I want to be.

OK....note to self....do NOT go into Michaels ever again! I ran in there last night to pick up some cotton that was on sale and grab the last 2 skeins that I needed to keep working on my latest afghan. I came out of there with 3 skeins of cotton, 3 skeins of Vanna yarn, 4 skeins of cottontots (REALLY good sale!) and 2 skeins of plastic canvas yarn. The only redeeming thing is that I then proceeded to use up one of those skeins of cotton last night on items for my swap partner.

So, the all the yarn was -24, but then with the one I used (+2) I the trip cost me -22. Add this to the weakness I experiences on Saturday night at Joann's and that leaves me at -32 for the week. :eek YIKES! I am going to have to work like mad this week to use some of that up or I may be in the running for the shoot the moon!

Sara

I made some more squares and am 1/2 way through another skein. I'll wait to post the points Fri. or Sat. when it's gone. I might be able to roll the partial skeins to balls by then. I hope to get 36 squares without buying more yarn.

Ellie 13 :crocheting

OK I have a problem .. I went to Sally Anne's [AKA Salvation Army thrift store] I did not buy any skeins of yarn BUT... I found a HUGE crochet afghan that was not even completed in variegated yarn that I want to use for making backpack purses... how do I count it or do I have to count it. Do I count the balls I get when I take it apart and count them as being aquired?

OK I have a problem .. I went to Sally Anne's [AKA Salvation Army thrift store] I did not buy any skeins of yarn BUT... I found a HUGE crochet afghan that was not even completed in variegated yarn that I want to use for making backpack purses... how do I count it or do I have to count it. Do I count the balls I get when I take it apart and count them as being aquired?

That is what I would do....count it once it is rolled into balls. Of course, you could work is right off the afghan and then I wouldn't count it at all since it is neither ball nor skein. :) That is what I am doing for a project that I am frogging to make scarves instead.

Sara

Sara I would do that but the Afghan is HUGE like KING bed size... I don't think I can work right off the afghan..

3PM.. I just had my grandgirl help me measure it ... it is 15'6" [186"] wide and 5' 20" [80"] long !!!!! with a small ball of yarn attached at the end... maybe the person was making a carpet

ok put me down for the shoot the moon award.....our walmart is busting their yarn stash by marking it down....i bought 48 skeins the most expensive was 1.45 and the least was under a $1. so................-96 for me unless i get speed fingers and uses it all up by Saturday! yea right!

Sara I would do that but the Afghan is HUGE like KING bed size... I don't think I can work right off the afghan..

3PM.. I just had my grandgirl help me measure it ... it is 15'6" [186"] wide and 5' 20" [80"] long !!!!! with a small ball of yarn attached at the end... maybe the person was making a carpet

Or maybe a tent! That is HUGE! Hard to believe it wasn't done yet....that will definitely give you a bunch of yarn to use for a while. What are you going to make out of it?

Sara

I used up another skein last night and most of a second while at the hospital with DH today. I should have that one finished in a little while since I can't go very far.

ok put me down for the shoot the moon award.....our walmart is busting their yarn stash by marking it down....i bought 48 skeins the most expensive was 1.45 and the least was under a $1. so................-96 for me unless i get speed fingers and uses it all up by Saturday! yea right!

how cool!

You have just entered the next stage of STASH withdrawal. Give or take, it goes something like this:

1. You are strong against all odds and have all the willpower in the world.

2. You look at yarn, pet it, put it in your basket, but realize the error of your ways at the last minute and put it back.

3. You redirect your urge to stash to patterns, hooks and other crafts.

4. You BINGE like crazy and say "I'll make it up later"

5. You feel guilty for binging, so every time you look at yarn, it makes you a little sick.

6. You give up. It's not worth it.

7. You come back, but with a clearer head.

8. You are strong again, though not so zealous. It seems a little more logical and controlled.

9. You start sorting through your stash and are finally able to really look at how much you have.

10. You start gradually chipping away at your stash and realize you're making progress. Sales are easy to pass up because you realize that buying MORE yarn deprives you of working with the beautiful yarn you already have.

THANKS,Krystal for explaining the steps of the recovery process to me so thoroughly. Let's see, it looks like I am only on stage 3.

To get to stage 10, where I really want to be, the next step is .............# 4!:jumpyay No,no. I will try to resist, but it is

such a temptation. At least I will know not to be too hard on myself if I slip up. It is good to know there is a group of you who understand.

I just hope the Walmart sale doesn't last too long.

I just looked back at my measurements I wrote 5 foot 20 inches duh it should be 6 foot 8 inches...

I have stared rolling it I have 4 skein size balls of yarn and still have almost 5 feet left to roll.. I'm going to use some of it making my backpack purses that I hope to sell on e-bay or esty... they take about 1 1/2 skeins of 2 different colors to make...

I'll probably be able to stay pretty reasonably even this week but in a week or so I have a couple GARBAGE size bags of yarn coming... I get them about 2 times a year and I make baby blankets, lapghans etc. for the local charities... it is run by the local RSVP but most of the ladies who used to do it can no longer do it but the yarn is donated and I do the crochet... it gives me a chance to try different patterns and things... that will probably be my week to shoot the moon....

Don't worry Beth I have the same problem with one of my skeins. :lol It's still hanging around in the form of a little ball even with making 2 lapghans using it as a color and other skeins I used in them have long been used this one ball just sticks around :lol

I rolled a skein into a ball tonight so another +1

Hey Beth & Heather, Im having the same problem trying to get thru this bag of balls that I have... they just wont go away!!!:shrug:shrug Im working on a scrap ripple determined to reduce stash. Im sure it wont be too pretty, but I'll use up some of these leftovers - I hope. guess we've just gotta be determined and stay focused.. and hopefully I can stay out of acmoore today - Ive been dying to go buy some Vanna yarn which is on sale... someone hold me back ;):lol

Archived