SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

I also used the "invisible thread" and it is hard to see even if you have a rough patch in your stitching

how is everyone else getting such nice results when they machinesew the lining? mine ended up in a big mess! i think it was the bobbin tension....but i dont know how to fix it!! do you use a straight stitch or a zig zag??? thanks!

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a hint if you want to buy the regular bamboo handles at Michaels, don't and I repeat don't buy them in the section where you would find all the bag handles and supplies. They are usually $5.99 in this section.Go on over to the wood work section..where they have the cigar boxes etc. Guess what similiar bamboo handles here for just $2.99 shhh..shh..:devil Only want to share this secret with my 'ville pals.:yes

Thanks for the tip! I found them right where you said they'd be and they were indeed much cheaper at $2.99 (different brand - Darice). I actually like these better as they're a wee bit larger. I would just add to take a close look at them as a few pairs on the rack (at my Michaels) didn't have a smooth join and the rough edge might damage or poke through your crochet. Thanks again!

Hi Amy,

I too, was keen on doing this FBB. I fell in love with it but as you say the pattern is copyrighted. I wont be able to get the book here in India so I have been keenly observing all the photos and have started mine just a few days back. As I finish it I shall post a pic. I hope I get it right.

I'm finally getting around to posting the fat bottom bags I've made recently.

The first one is made from Lion Brand Cotton Ease. I lined this one with a double main pocket and smaller pockets on both outside edges of the lining. This bag is for our upcoming beach vacation, so I used a pink flamingo print for the lining and added some small seashells just under the handles. For ease of cleaning, I also modified the handles so they are attached with buttons instead of being sewn in place. This one is for me.

fbb0001.jpg

fbb0003.jpg

fbb0004.jpg

fbb0005.jpg

The first bag is made from Bernat Softee Chunky in black. The lining fabric is a chicken print. My dh thinks one of the animated chickens in the movie Chicken Run looks like one of my sisters: the chicken who says, "I don't want to be a pie!" This is a long-standing family joke, so Kathy got the chicken lining!

184_8490.jpg

184_8491.jpg

The second bag is made from Lion Brand Wool Ease in brown, with a dolphin print fabric lining. This is for my other sister. I just gave it to her yesterday (she only lives 2 miles away), and she loved it.

184_8493.jpg

184_8494.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I found them right where you said they'd be and they were indeed much cheaper at $2.99 (different brand - Darice). I actually like these better as they're a wee bit larger. I would just add to take a close look at them as a few pairs on the rack (at my Michaels) didn't have a smooth join and the rough edge might damage or poke through your crochet. Thanks again!

I'm glad you found them..use the 40%off coupon..then you really save..

I finally finished my FBB. It took me a week (I'm a very slow crocheter :hook). The lining alone took me 2 days! I'm SO not a fan of sewing. It's my first FO, with ends weaved in and all, ready to be used (all my other "sorta FOs" still have their ends hanging out and about). I'll post a picture later when I get the chance to take one. I can't wait to use it! :)

i finished my gigantic fbb. and it is gigantic!!!! um, i just havent been able to get the handles yet, so it may be a couple of days before i get the finished pictures. but i'll post a pic of what the yarn part looks like later.

i finished my gigantic fbb. and it is gigantic!!!! um, i just havent been able to get the handles yet, so it may be a couple of days before i get the finished pictures. but i'll post a pic of what the yarn part looks like later.

Any pics yet?? :hook

finally got the handles last night. i dont think that i am going to line it because its going to be a crochet carry bag. but then again i might, i just havent found the right fabric. also since the bag is so big i want to do some designs on the outside to break up the red, but i dont know what color to use yet. this bag is going to be GREAT once i organize my jumbled, confused ideas. just to give you an idea of its size, if i put the handles on my shoulder, the bag hangs to my hips.

Picture140.jpg

finally got the handles last night. i dont think that i am going to line it because its going to be a crochet carry bag. but then again i might, i just havent found the right fabric. also since the bag is so big i want to do some designs on the outside to break up the red, but i dont know what color to use yet. this bag is going to be GREAT once i organize my jumbled, confused ideas. just to give you an idea of its size, if i put the handles on my shoulder, the bag hangs to my hips.

Picture140.jpg

Wow, that's huge! I can't wait to see pictures.

i can`t thank you enough i wanted the pattern for today (it`s thursday in my country already) and i loved the pattern it is breally toooooo close to that bag

thanks alot again :)

ok ok i carnt stand it anymore :lol i HAVE to join this CAL i received the book for christmas and i have loved the bag ever since

here is my progress so far :)

IMG_1639.jpg

this is it folded out , looks a bit wonky but it is just the way i take :photo

IMG_1638.jpg

some handles, these were $3 and the plastic ones were over $10 !! :eek

IMG_1636.jpg

and some left over lining that i used for my crochet hook roll

IMG_1634.jpg

oh and PS i have bought some more yarn and fabric for another one !!!! :lol:lol

and PPS i have read this WHOLE CAL !!! a huge congratulations to everyone that has compeleted one and the :photo are just fantastic

i did attempt this bag when i first got the book ....but i gave up as i couldnt get the hang of the stitch :no looks like i wasnt the only one :)

so thanks to this CAL it gave me the courage and inspiration to pick up that hook and :yarn

oh my

i have a confession ....:lol

i was having a TOTALLY blonde moment :yes

i thought that the part where i started was were i did the part to attach the handle and then on the end that i finished ......theeeeen i realised that the stiches were going in the wrong direction (across instead of up and down) yes i did read the directions...but that doesnt mean a thing !!!!! :rofl

so i nearly attched the handles to the sides of the bag instead of the top ! :lol:lol:lol

deeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr

i did attempt this bag when i first got the book ....but i gave up as i couldnt get the hang of the stitch :no looks like i wasnt the only one :)

so thanks to this CAL it gave me the courage and inspiration to pick up that hook and :yarn

Clare, just an FYI, a lot of people have been uncomfortable with the stitch used in the book. Several people (myself included, after the first one I made) have just substituted an hdc for the stitch and the bags turn out just as great... hope this helps!

Archived