SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

I think I may need to rejoin this one too! My sister just had her first grandchild and has informed me that a "grandma gift" is appropriate. She claims that the gifts have been pouring in since she is a first time grandma...sounds kind of fishy to me:blush ...especially when she indicated that something handmade would be just the thing! The FBB is the first thing I thought of...they make such wonderful gifts!

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahahaha...thats great! I will have to remember to tell people that when I am a first time mom (ive got a ways to go before grandma :blush) I just finished another one; my cousin is an attorney and one of the other lawyers in the courthouse saw the pink one I made for her (with YarnDivas cotton!!) for mother's day and liked it so much, she told Nichole (my cuz) she HAD to have one! I will have to get pics before I send it down their way!

Lovet the pink and the lining CJ, awesome job!

I still cannot for the life of me find my stash of bag handles!! :cry waah!!

I've turned my craft closet upside down! Looked under the bed, and all the usual places I stash my crafts in...nothing!

I am soo :mad and disappointed at myself for losing 10 PAIRS of bag handles, oh where, oh where did you all go??

yikes! that would drive me crazy!:eek

I usually just pick up the old bamboo handles at joanns when they have a sale, but where do you all get yours? I have seen some beautiful colored ones and some that are glittery. Where is your favorite spot to order handles?

Lovet the pink and the lining CJ, awesome job!

I still cannot for the life of me find my stash of bag handles!! :cry waah!!

I've turned my craft closet upside down! Looked under the bed, and all the usual places I stash my crafts in...nothing!

I am soo :mad and disappointed at myself for losing 10 PAIRS of bag handles, oh where, oh where did you all go??

Oh, I just happened upon the clearance rack at Hobby Lobby and they were all there at 2-3$ a pair! I also had 40% off coupons I used for my other handles.

I found my stash! I forgot I put them in a gift bag in my craft closet and it was there in plain sight! I just did not bother to LOOK INSIDE! :laughroll

I also got a winding spool knitter by Bond-America. I love the idea of using matching yarn to make the handles. I probably will braid 2 or 3 strands to make a good-sized handle. This is soo cool I can't wait to make another one (probably after I pass...and I WILL...pass the Texas Teachers Exam...TeXes)

But then again I may make one just to calm my nerves...I've never studied so hard in my entire life!!

Just a hint if you want to buy the regular bamboo handles at Michaels, don't and I repeat don't buy them in the section where you would find all the bag handles and supplies. They are usually $5.99 in this section.Go on over to the wood work section..where they have the cigar boxes etc. Guess what similiar bamboo handles here for just $2.99 shhh..shh..:devil Only want to share this secret with my 'ville pals.:yes

wow!! that is a great tip!! :cheer thanks!:D

Just a hint if you want to buy the regular bamboo handles at Michaels, don't and I repeat don't buy them in the section where you would find all the bag handles and supplies. They are usually $5.99 in this section.Go on over to the wood work section..where they have the cigar boxes etc. Guess what similiar bamboo handles here for just $2.99 shhh..shh..:devil Only want to share this secret with my 'ville pals.:yes

you must have a different michaels than me, because i remember someone else, or maybe it was you (simply hooked), saying that earlier in this thread. I went to michaels and no, no cheaper handles. i'm going to check again tho. i'm actually planning on going today.

i finished a skein on my fbb. i'm making a gigantico fbb. i doubled everything in the pattern. its so huge!!!! i cant wait to finish it. i'm thinking it will be about triple the size of my last one. but that's exactly what i wanted. a gigantic bag!

i finished a skein on my fbb. i'm making a gigantico fbb. i doubled everything in the pattern. its so huge!!!! i cant wait to finish it. i'm thinking it will be about triple the size of my last one. but that's exactly what i wanted. a gigantic bag!

Can you post a pic when your done or its progress... I want to make one that hugungo!! Gynormic!! Thanks to everyone on this CAL, they helped with claryifiing the pattern to make it bigger... now.. I just want to see how big is big??

Thanks!!

Can you post a pic when your done or its progress... I want to make one that hugungo!! Gynormic!! Thanks to everyone on this CAL, they helped with claryifiing the pattern to make it bigger... now.. I just want to see how big is big??

Thanks!!

most def.

i didnt really do it like yarndiva said, tho, i kinda did my own thing. but it seems to be working and i'm falling in love stitch by stitch.

how is everyone else getting such nice results when they machinesew the lining? mine ended up in a big mess! i think it was the bobbin tension....but i dont know how to fix it!! do you use a straight stitch or a zig zag??? thanks!

Hi ladies. I would love to join but i don't have a pattern. Does anyone know of a place that i could get a copy of a pattern for free? I'm on a fixed income so if you know of a link i could go to that would be great :)

Thanks in advance. I have seen some of your work and it's great!!! I would love to try one.

I found one that's reeeeeeal close:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Knitting/Projects/Accessories/LW1369+Pretty+Purses.htm

how is everyone else getting such nice results when they machinesew the lining? mine ended up in a big mess! i think it was the bobbin tension....but i dont know how to fix it!! do you use a straight stitch or a zig zag??? thanks!

I hand-sew mine, but if I used a machine, I'd probably use a zig zag stitch and make sure the fabric side was on the bottom to keep the yarn from getting chewed up by the feed dog. You might also place tissue on top of the yarn side to prevent the crochet stitches from getting snagged by the foot, then tear it away after.

Hi ladies. I would love to join but i don't have a pattern. Does anyone know of a place that i could get a copy of a pattern for free? I'm on a fixed income so if you know of a link i could go to that would be great :)

Thanks in advance. I have seen some of your work and it's great!!! I would love to try one.

Judy, this particular pattern was published in a book and is copyrighted, so you can't get it for free anywhere. Unless you're able to check the book out of your local library.

You may be able to find some free online patterns for bags that look similar to this, though, and I think some people have already posted links for you. I hope you find something close enough that you'd like to make it. :)

That happened to me when I accidentally put the bobbin in backwards. Maybe check that if you haven't already.

I use a straight stitch, yarn on bottom (so I can make sure I get a straight line. I have no problems.

I just use a straight-stitch on mine. I use my regular presser foot, which has a nice little indent that's maybe 1/16" or so from where the needle comes down.

I put the bag yarn side down, then position the edge of my lining right at the indent on the presser foot so I'm getting that tiny little seam.

Like somebody else mentioned, if your machine seems to snag the yarn side, you can put a piece of tissue paper down (or tear-away stabilizer you can find at fabric stores) and tear it away when you're done. I tried this with the first side of my lining, but didn't like having to pick out the tiny little pieces of paper left in the stitching. So I tried the next side without the stabilizer, and it went through my machine without any problem.

I just finished a bag for one of my sisters, and I'm about halfway through a bag for my other sister. Then I have two to make for my aunt and myself. Once I get my sister's completed, I'll post pics of those, plus the first one I made for myself.

Archived