Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Im so excited, I am patiently waiting for my first felting project to finish. I am making felted bag, and when it's done felting I plan to line it with fabric! I hope it turns out nice... I got it in the washing machine right now going through the felting process as we speak.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't start on the 3rd strip of the flannelghan because- -----DH got me an IPad as an early Valentine's Present- so I've been playing with that! He found it on Craigslist for a really, really good price!!! I was going to get myself one in March with my gift card for perfect attendance--now I can find something else that I'd like to treat myself with.

BBL

Oh, what fun!!! Enjoy:c9

Im so excited, I am patiently waiting for my first felting project to finish. I am making felted bag, and when it's done felting I plan to line it with fabric! I hope it turns out nice... I got it in the washing machine right now going through the felting process as we speak.

That's great - will be looking for a pic! I forgot to mention: yesterday I lined my small felted bookbag...:D

Hello everyone. Much better day at work today, although still very busy. I did my grocery shopping on my way home, and picked up a deli made shepherds pie for dinner. On Tuesdays the grocery store that I go to has their deli made entrees on special for $5. I've never bought them before, but the package weighs two pounds, and is at least half meat, so I think it is enough for at least three servings, maybe even 4, so I figured it was a good deal for $5.

Joanne, if your roads are like they were here this morning, it's probably a good thing you came home yesterday. The roads were a mess here today. One of our techs ended up in the ditch.

I like your flannelghan. I can't quite tell what colors you are using, (on my monitor it kind of looks like blue and white, but some of the squares look gray...), but the overall effect is very restful.

Marisa, so sorry to hear about your mom's cousin. It seems like leukemia is very treatable these days. DD's father in law was diagnosed with it about 6 years ago. He had a bone marrow transplant and is doing quite well.

Mary, glad that your dh's eyes are holding their own. Vision issues can be really scary.

Linda, a quilt show sounds like a good challenge for you. I also think you should go for it.

Hello everyone. Much better day at work today, although still very busy. I did my grocery shopping on my way home, and picked up a deli made shepherds pie for dinner. On Tuesdays the grocery store that I go to has their deli made entrees on special for $5. I've never bought them before, but the package weighs two pounds, and is at least half meat, so I think it is enough for at least three servings, maybe even 4, so I figured it was a good deal for $5.

Joanne, if your roads are like they were here this morning, it's probably a good thing you came home yesterday. The roads were a mess here today. One of our techs ended up in the ditch.

I like your flannelghan. I can't quite tell what colors you are using, (on my monitor it kind of looks like blue and white, but some of the squares look gray...), but the overall effect is very restful.

Marisa, so sorry to hear about your mom's cousin. It seems like leukemia is very treatable these days. DD's father in law was diagnosed with it about 6 years ago. He had a bone marrow transplant and is doing quite well.

Mary, glad that your dh's eyes are holding their own. Vision issues can be really scary.

Linda, a quilt show sounds like a good challenge for you. I also think you should go for it.

Cindy- Sorry- I am putting everyone together, being new here! I took a peek at your blog- LOVELY work and craftsmanship you have in all of your diff. hobbies! BEAUTIFUL!

***LADIES**** can I just tell you........as my afternoon has slowed down here at work, trucks all in line and in the right directions......I've taken a few to look at some of your blogs! I LOVE THE WORK AND TALENT you all have with many diff. hobbies, crafts, interests! I love to learn about all of you! I feel like a "GRAND-DAUGHTER" in a sense! lol since I seem to be your childrens ages! I sat back and thought- how blessed your children and grandchildren have to be to receive hand made gifts from you. I have 2 afghans from my one grandmother and that is ALL i got when she passed away. I have the one that I made for my Dad 7 years ago, and 5 years ago he passed due to cancer (that was almost the ONLY thing I got when he passed as well) ugly situation w/ his wife. It's ok though. I've made afghans for my other Grandparents (Grandma doesn't crochet) I figure since I'm on a roll- I will at least get those back that I made, I hope!! Maybe that's selfish of me but I know how they appreciated my work and how they enjoy them. I am ever so grateful!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT IN THE WEATHER THIS EVENING!!! Enjoy the rest of your day! I am signing off for today, will be back in the morning- However, I'm still sleeping when your daylight hours start- (i am behind most of you in time at least an hour or 2!) THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR WELCOMING ME HERE! ~~Kiyo~~

Joanne, if your roads are like they were here this morning, it's probably a good thing you came home yesterday. The roads were a mess here today. One of our techs ended up in the ditch. I definitely made the right decision- they closed I90W in Mass today because of a jack-knifed tractor trailer.

I like your flannelghan. I can't quite tell what colors you are using, (on my monitor it kind of looks like blue and white, but some of the squares look gray...), but the overall effect is very restful. I'm using Vanna's Choice that I had in my stash- the colors are Dusty blue, Silver blue and linen.

Marisa, so sorry to hear about your mom's cousin. It seems like leukemia is very treatable these days. DD's father in law was diagnosed with it about 6 years ago. He had a bone marrow transplant and is doing quite well. I agree - I have a co-worker whose MIL had a BMT about 5 years ago and doing well.

That shepherd's pie sounds like a good deal for $5.00- at least worth a try!! I made sausage peppers and onions for dinner tonight-I was all about keeping it simple on my last day of vacation- and if it hadn't been so nasty outside, I probably would have gone out and bought something already made too!!

Kiyo- It's been fun getting to know you too- and you are quite the talented crocheter from what I've seen of your work. Can't wait to see pics of the striped afghans!!!!

I'll be on early in the AM (I leave for work by 6:30 AM EST) so I probably won't 'see you' till tomorrow evening. Have a good rest of your day/evening!!!

Kiyo- Forgot to mention- that one thing you will "hear" a lot of come baseball season is Judy and I talking about our Yankees- We've been counting down till Spring Training - as of today- 27 days till NY Yankees Spring Training!:lol:lol:lol

Judy- Did you hear that the Yankees signed Soriano to the bullpen? This should help at the end of games. Now if we can get another starting pitcher!!!!

Kiyo- Forgot to mention- that one thing you will "hear" a lot of come baseball season is Judy and I talking about our Yankees- We've been counting down till Spring Training - as of today- 27 days till NY Yankees Spring Training!:lol:lol:lol

Judy- Did you hear that the Yankees signed Soriano to the bullpen? This should help at the end of games. Now if we can get another starting pitcher!!!!

I did notice that on your signature part! lol------and.......I must say.......ITS ALLLLL GOOD! I can maybe work on my Yankee blanket during the games! lol

Linda- with your talent I think you should go for it. I'll be here cheering you on!!:cheer:cheer

I finished the second strip of my flannel'ghan and then weaved in the ends and whip-stitched the first and second strips together. This is my new way of doing the flannel'ghan- instead of waiting till all the strips are done and then whipstitching them all together at once. Now on to the third strip.

:)

I really like the look of your new flannelghan, Joanne.

I haven't actually seen the required material for the Hoffman 2011 Challenge, but based on the pictures I've come up with a pattern for a 40" by 40" quilt using 6 different coordinating fabrics from the collection with Sulky gold metallic thread for the quilting of it I think. Every entrant gets a fat quarter of Hoffman Fabric, a spool of Sulky thread, and a cloisonne pin designed for the challenge. I don't really expect to win, but I think it will be a fun thing to do. And who knows...........There are lots of awards in each category. And some really nice prizes. There have been more than 700 entries some years. Makes my chances small, but they are none if I don't enter at all. :D

Mary ~ Glad that DH's eye examine went well.

We're glad to have you with us, Kiyo. You'll get us sorted out as time goes along.

Kim had a doctor check-up this afternoon and everything went very smoothly. They have a male extern there for 9 weeks and Kim flirted with him the whole time he was in the room. :D

Cindy- Sorry- I am putting everyone together, being new here! I took a peek at your blog- LOVELY work and craftsmanship you have in all of your diff. hobbies! BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks Kiyo. I have a short attention span, so I need lots of different things to entertain me!

That shepherd's pie sounds like a good deal for $5.00- at least worth a try!! I made sausage peppers and onions for dinner tonight-I was all about keeping it simple on my last day of vacation- and if it hadn't been so nasty outside, I probably would have gone out and bought something already made too!!

The shepherds pie was actually really good. I don't think my home-made version would have been any better. Definitely a good deal. Dh had two helpings and there is still a large serving left.

I haven't actually seen the required material for the Hoffman 2011 Challenge, but based on the pictures I've come up with a pattern for a 40" by 40" quilt using 6 different coordinating fabrics from the collection with Sulky gold metallic thread for the quilting of it I think. Every entrant gets a fat quarter of Hoffman Fabric, a spool of Sulky thread, and a cloisonne pin designed for the challenge. I don't really expect to win, but I think it will be a fun thing to do. And who knows...........There are lots of awards in each category. And some really nice prizes. There have been more than 700 entries some years. Makes my chances small, but they are none if I don't enter at all. :D

Kim had a doctor check-up this afternoon and everything went very smoothly. They have a male extern there for 9 weeks and Kim flirted with him the whole time he was in the room. :D

Sounds like Kim is in very good form!!:lol

And you have the right attitude about the contest...and hey! Someone is going to win the big prize, and you might be that someone!

Good evening ladies :hi

Well, work went fairly quickly today :clap My brother put emailed me pictures of Madeline that just finished downloading, so I need to go check them out. I started reading through the posts when I got home a couple hours ago and then got sidetracked :eek

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers to my cousin :hug :hug :hug She's at the main Geisinger Hospital and they were planning a bone marrow biopsy for today and starting chemo today too. She'll be there for about 3 weeks :( They said she'll lose her hair for about 2 weeks :think So, she asked my mom to pick her up a couple of scarves. She is in good spirits :yes My mom is going to get her some puzzle books and things to do while she's there and also yelled at her to tell the family, because she didn't really want everyone to know just yet. Well then my mom asked her what if they announce it in church asking for prayers? That's a heck of a way for the family to find out! When my mom put it that way, she agreed that she hadn't thought of it like that. Anyhow, as of now we have high hopes :yes

I sounded like everyone had pretty good days and I forgot to take notes :(

I only have 1 1/2 rows left of the baby blanket and then the border :clap:yay Ooooo, maybe I'll take the lapghan I have sitting here to my cousin :idea She'll love it :yes I have a friend staying with me again from back home and chiro school since she has another seminar down here so I won't be going back home, otherwise I would've. Maybe I'll see if my friend can drop it at my parents house for me :think

Hi Ladies,

Wrennie, Hi! Welcome to Our House!

Kiyo, Awesome pics! A pretty girl just like her Mama! And cute dogs to.

I was a single Mom after a divorce and worked two jobs for awhile. Then met my husband and quit the second one. I have a son 35 who is married and has 3 step kids and they have 2 of there own. The grandkids there range in age 16 to 4. I have a daughter 32 who is a single Mom with a little girl (Maya) 4. You will hear me talk about Maya a lot because when we are not in Texas wintering we are taking care of Maya full time. It has been the easiest way for us to help DD out. We have loved every minute of it. I loved being a Mom and going to all those sports practices and games. Being a Grandma is a special part of life. I was fortunate to be able to spend lots of time with both sets of my Grandparents so it just comes natural to me.

My husband has a daughter 36 who is married and has 2 children both teenagers 17 and 15.

We live in Michigan but winter in Texas for 3 months.

This group is so easy to be a part of. Lots of friendly, caring ladies here.

I think you fit right in as do the others ladies who have recently joined and the ones who came back.

I rattle on to.

Dusti, Love the idea for playing with the food and making flowers. I will pass this on to my daughter. Her daughter is 4 and is a very picky eater. She doesn't like to try new foods and maybe this might work. A friend of DD's son was telling Maya he had pigs in a blanket to eat. Maya asked her Mom what pigs in a blanket was. She wanted some. So a trip to the store and then they make them together. Come time to eat them she didn't want them. Her Mom had to strip the hot dog. She was a picky eater even on baby food. Certain ones she would eat and that was it.

Love the pinwheel sweater. I'm sure you'll get it done before february.

The snowflakes and afghan are nice to.

Marisa, When my GD Jocelyn was born my GS Payton couldn't leave her alone. He was 2 1/2. They had to separate them so she could sleep as he would wake her up all the time. He kissed her all the time.

Sorry to hear about your cousin. I will put your family in my prayers.

Joanne, Glad you had a safe trip to and from Boston. You certainly made the right decision to come home early. Sounds like a wonderful time with all your family. Wow what a nice V-day gift and early to boot. Hubby must of really missed you.

Mary, Glad hubby's apt went well. Enjoy your day with Luke.

Judy, I tell people my kids are getting older but I'm not.:lol

Linda, It sounds like the quilt is right up your alley. You have such a talent for this kinds of quilting. I to will be here to cheer you on.

Cheeria, Hi! Nice to see you got in some crocheting to.

Cindy, Be careful!

I talked to DD this morning and they got freezing rain last night. Talked to DS and they were expecting 6" of snow and got 10. They are 2 - 2 1/2 hours apart. Glad I'm here! It was 67 here and sunshine.

I wore my brace and was able to crochet quite a bit on Maya's scarf.

I was given a new exercise for my hand and I can do it today. Yesterday my index finger didn't want to work. Have pt early in the morning so I need to head to bed soon.

Everyone be careful out on the roads. Have a nice wednesday!

Julie, Hi! Hope all is okay with you!:yes Here's a :hug because we can never have to many of them.

Good morning and it's Hump Day already!!! This week should be ok since I'm only working 3 days and then it's the weekend already!!

Marlene- Glad that you were able to crochet some with the brace and that the PT appears to be helping you out some. Just take it easy and don't rush it! Oh, and your 67 degrees? I'm jealous!!! We are due for another batch of winter weather tomorrow!! Today, though is cloudy- and above freezing- at least it is for now!!!

Marisa- They seem to have everything under control at Geisinger and not wasting any time on doing what needs to be getting done! Prayers continuing for your mom's cousin!!

Julie- Thinking of you!!

Everyone- I hope you have a good day today and I'll see you later.

Good morning ladies :hi

Nothing new to report since last night :no My bro had 250 pics up for me to look at :clap All of the nephews and niece :D It was fun to watch the slideshow. I finished my baby blanket and will do the border tonight, then in the mail in the morning before work :xfin

I hope everyone has a wonderful day :hug

Good Morning, Ladies. :waving

Joanne - Yay for a new IPad! My granny stripes is still waiting on the border. :blush Time for me to figure out colors and get it finished. :yes

Kiyo - I love bright colors, too! Yes! We'd love to see pictures. :) I'm not the best at making decisions (no secret at the House :lol) - that's really why I haven't made a flannelghan yet!

Twinkle - Hi! Can't wait to see your felted bag. :hook

Judy - WTG on lining your bag. Pictures? :D

Cindy - Wow - what a great buy at the Deli...and great that it was so good, too. Be careful on those icy roads. :yes

Linda - We can "hear" the excitement in your posts about the Challenge! Go for it! We're here to cheer you on. :cheer

Marisa - Congratulations on finishing the baby ghan. :clap

Marlene - Oh, it's such good news that you're able to crochet again! It's supposed to get really cold here again in the next couple of days...hope it doesn't make it all the way to the Coast.

Time for me to shower and get ready to go. Little Guy is taking a few steps on his own now...Grammy needs lots of energy. :lol Have a good Wednesday, everyone. :manyheart

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers to my cousin :hug :hug :hug She's at the main Geisinger Hospital and they were planning a bone marrow biopsy for today and starting chemo today too. She'll be there for about 3 weeks :( They said she'll lose her hair for about 2 weeks :think So, she asked my mom to pick her up a couple of scarves. She is in good spirits :yes My mom is going to get her some puzzle books and things to do while she's there and also yelled at her to tell the family, because she didn't really want everyone to know just yet. Well then my mom asked her what if they announce it in church asking for prayers? That's a heck of a way for the family to find out! When my mom put it that way, she agreed that she hadn't thought of it like that. Anyhow, as of now we have high hopes :yes

I only have 1 1/2 rows left of the baby blanket and then the border :clap:yay Ooooo, maybe I'll take the lapghan I have sitting here to my cousin :idea She'll love it :yes I have a friend staying with me again from back home and chiro school since she has another seminar down here so I won't be going back home, otherwise I would've. Maybe I'll see if my friend can drop it at my parents house for me :think

Good news about your cousin and good thinking about notifying family before they hear about it some other way. Your lapghan will be perfect. Great idea! :yay

Good morning ladies :hi

Nothing new to report since last night :no My bro had 250 pics up for me to look at :clap All of the nephews and niece :D It was fun to watch the slideshow. I finished my baby blanket and will do the border tonight, then in the mail in the morning before work :xfin

I hope everyone has a wonderful day :hug

WOW! That's a lot of pictures already! Enjoy!

It's still overcast and grey here today, but Kim and I don't have to get out in it. Thank goodness. I picked up fish at Captain D's on the way home yesterday and there was enough for last night and today as well.

Yeah for having a rooting section for the quilt. :clap I'll keep you posted on the progress. I'm getting excited about the thought of entering it. I'm loving my new sewing machine, too. It sews sooo nicely. While I'm waiting to get a chance to pick up the material, I'll be working on the oriental quilt and the wall hanging and finishing a few odd and ends.

I finished hiding all the tails for the first of the Christmas stockings last night while watching TV. Now to sew it together and do the cuff and hanger.

I appliqued a butterfly yesterday to the oriental quilt. One down and 19 to go. It was a small one. If I can do one a day, I should be done in a month, because I'm sure there'll be a day here and there when I won't get one done. That's my goal anyway. If I only do one a day, it shouldn't get too overwhelming, too.

Hope everyone stays safe today. Watch out for whatever Mother Nature throws your way. I'll catch you later. :manyheart

Good morning everyone. I got a late start today, since I didn't even wake up until nearly 9. That's really unusual for me, usually I'm up early.

It is very cold here, and snowing again. everything looks clean and pretty, but I still want spring to arrive.

Marlene, I'm jealous of your 67 degree temperatures. I think you are lucky though. A co-corker jsut got back from the bahamas. She said the morning they left there it was in the 40's and when they arrived in Florida. the temperature was below freezing, so it seems that much of the country is un-seasonably cold.

Wrennie, I'm sorry to say that I had seen you post here, but I just assumed that I was in the combo challenge thread, since this thread and that one are the two threads I spend the most time in, and there are a lot of the same people in them. Anyhow, I'm glad to see you here, and hope you will jump in and post more often. The more the merrier!:lol

I don't have any big plans for today. A little laundry, some cleaning and working on my WIPs. I spend half the evening last night looking or new project ideas. If there is anything I do not need, it is new ideas! I even gave some fleeting thought to knitting a sweater. Since it takes me months to knit a scarf, I doubt that I would ever finish a sweater. Well, maybe if it was the only project I had.......

Julie...hope you are okay.:hug

Good Morning, Friends ~

The girls' school had a two hour-late start, yesterday, the brakes on my car were frozen, when I went to drive the girls to school, DH hustled home to fix the problem, and my day never quite got back on-track. Here I am, ready to try again, today, though :yes

Joanne ~ I am so glad that you finally felt alright about returning from your trip to Boston early. You really did make the right call. Those roads would have been treacherous, and we would all have been very worried about you. How are you getting along with you IPad? Cool toy!! Your Flannel-ghan looks great, and you are going to have it finished in no time :cheer

Mary ~ I cannot believe that Luke is already interested in taking a few steps on his own. Way to go, Buddy :clap Does he want to take off after his kitties and your puppy (her name is on the tip of my tongue, but it is not coming to mind as I sit here, so I am using the generic 'puppy.' Sorry :blush), or does he just want to be where you are? Have a grand day with him.

Marisa ~ 250 pictures? How fabulous!! It ought to be just as though you are there with your cuties. When are you flying out to see them? Is it March :think Congrats on finishing the baby blanket. Baby Madeline is doing well? :hugfor your mom's cousin. The lap-ghan will be nice and comforting as she undergoes treatment. I'll be saying prayers for her.

Linda ~ Oh, yes, you should enter the quilt contest :yes What a fabulous showcase for your talent, and what fun to think that you already have a design floating around just from browsing through the pictures of the fabrics. Just think of all of the ideas you will have zinging around, once you get to feel the fabrics and move them around into a pleasing arrangement. Add me to the cheering section :cheer Glad to hear Kim's appointment went well.

Judy ~ I will be an echo to Mary's request for, "Pictures of your felted and lined bag, please." :D I have not tried felting, on purpose, yet. I am getting better at lining my handbags, but it is slow-going, as I do not have a sewing machine. Is the bag for you, or are you gifting it to another gal in your book club?

Twinkle ~ How did your felting experiment turn out? Can we see it, yet? How many times did you need to run it through the hot water cycle to get it to the size you wanted? Just curious, as I am picking up tips to use in the future ;)

Cindy ~ Your shepherd's pie from the deli sounded like perfect comfort food in your icky winter weather. Good deal, and leftovers are wonderful :D I hope your drive today was not too bad.

Marlene ~ You must feel good about being able to complete the PT exercises as they are introduced. Good for you. Keep up the good work :cheer My youngest is an awfully picky eater, too, and that is exactly why I tried the shaped, open-faced sandwich idea the other day. I am not sure from where she came :think Kyri, DH and I love anything and everything, the more exotic and flavorful, the better. Annika likes consistency, familiarity and such a hodge-podge of ingredients, that it is tricky making meals some days, especially when my brain is tired. She loves all of the Japanese food that I make, but she does not like Italian or even common "American" foods -- macaroni & cheese...soup...ketchup...waffles...grilled cheese...eggs...none of the above :no I have a pretty good repertoire, but I try new foods all of the time with the hope that I will hit on another 'winner' by accident. Egg salad on flower-shaped bread worked :lol

Wrennie ~ :welcome to Our House. It's nice to have you.

Semi-busy day ahead on this end. We woke up to -20*, so no outdoor recess for the girls and a quick dash between the car and school for me -- I am not fond of a frosty, red nose, but it is a given in this weather. I have loaves of Ginger Bread (not the molasses gingerbread, but rather a quick bread with generous chunks of crystallized ginger folded into a sour cream-moistened base. It's yummy :yes) to make and send out to a couple of relatives. I owe my college roommate a newsy letter, so I am going to settle in with a cup of coffee and "chat" with her for awhile this morning. While I am waiting for school to dismiss, I am going to work on a flower-shaped lap-ghan. Kyri wants to give it to her best friend for her birthday at the end of next month, so we selected the colors (center is RHSS Medium Purple and the petals are RHSS Melonberry, which is a variegated pink, purple, orange and yellow) on Monday and finished the first 9 rounds. I ought to have it finished by the weekend :xfin

Talk to you, later :manyheart

*~GGGGGGoood Morning All~* Hope your Hump Day is going great so far! I think when I get home I have to check my wall to see if the pink paint is still on it----I think I slept like a log and snored away, merrily! lol Goodness, I feel refreshed! My daughter and I have fought this cold/gunk/yuck/runny, stuffy, nose/cough/ just plain YUCCCCK! for almost 4 weeks. No fever, no sore throat, just yuck! We've lived off antahistamines(sp? lol) & cough medicine to keep dried up and not irritate the cough! Eaten enough cough drops to list them in my daily regimen now! Maybe it's actually coming to a halt!

I took some photos last night of some more of my work and.......can't figure out why my phone is not sending emails! So......please hold! I think I got a smarter-than-me-phone. Dang it! ;)

Work is going to be crazy today........weather is hitting allllll over the place and wrecks, re-routing trucks.......YIKES! I better have another cup of coffee.

Everyone have a great day!

Welcome, Wrennie!! :hook

Dusti, no, this bag is for me (I also made the cotton version, but didn't line it yet. I baste the top in loosely.

Ask...and ye shall receive:

post-8552-135897618018_thumb.jpg

post-8552-135897618022_thumb.jpg

Archived