Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I

Yes, Mary, I am really lucky that DH is so mechanically adept; he can (and does) fix anything :c9 For some reason, my new car has exposed brake calipers :think, and they heat up as I drive. Now-a-days, there is deep snow on all of our roadways, and when that gets up into my wheels and freezes, it causes my brakes to lock overnight. Not too handy, let me tell you. DH has showed me how to "fix" the problem, but that only lasts until the following morning. Seems as though there should be something more permanent -- a crocheted brake caliper cozy?? :rofl Anyway...we are good to go for another day.

I just had to say...I laughed out loud at the thought of a brake caliper cozy!

And congrats on your new nephew!

~!@#$%^&*()(&^%%$#@@

The above comment is made in place of BAD words which I'm not allowed to use in here ,:2nono

although I am cursing like a sailor in person.

:rant

Good thing no one is here to hear me .

:ohdear

2 skeins of yarn washed and dried ,tied into separate pantyhose legs.

:blink

Let's just say that :

1- I have patience the length of a tsetse fly,and that is on a GOOD day .

:bang

2-This yarn looks like it was tied ,one end onto a car motor,then the car was driven around the Indy 500 track ,then backwards .

:irk

3-During the ATTEMPT to untangle it , also holding my mini laptop , you could visibly see tiny fibers covering the computer ,and being sucked down my windpipe as I continued to CURSE .

:sick

Moral of the story :

This has taught me that it is not good to wash yarn tied into a pantyhose leg,and not good to curse like a drunken sailor on shore leave while attempting to untangle it .

Now I am WHEEZING so hard I can't curse . :sigh

May I just say thank you to all of you for trying to help me find a way to use yarn and still BREATHE . I TRULY appreciate everyone's help .:yes

As a final message :

I am giving up anything yarn related. :thumbdown

My new hobby will be playing the ACCORDIAN .

Song requests will be taken in August of 2016 . I should be good enough by then to play you a tune .

I hope you like the Beer Barrel Polka. That's the first one I am going to learn,along with drinking a barrel of beer to calm me down .

Where's my Valium when I need it ?????

Julie, I know it isnt funny...but it is the way you tell it. I don't think you can help yourself. You have such a way with words.

And I don't think you need much breath to play the accordian!!

I just talked to my sister and we had a turn of events last night. My cousin had a major brain bleed and is currently in ICU on a vent, my parents are on their way there now as well as someone from either the church or the mother house of the convent :think My mom is the power of attorney and her living will states she does not want to be kept on any machines. Her heart rate has been down to about 30 and she does have some breath sounds, so they anticipate she'll breathe a little while on her own, but not too long.

So very sorry to hear this.:hug

Judy- In response to your question:

I was wondering what you thought of the iPad. I think you have a laptop, (I have a netbook....smaller but similar) I know you have a Nook, like I do... I'm curious as to how it might replace or be better than having so many other "toys".

I do have a laptop which I use most of the time at home- and I have my Nook that I can read on and now I have my Ipad (that I can take to work and sneak on the internet with):devil. It's nice and portable. (and much easier than using my Blackberry to check the internet) We can't use the internet at work for non-business related things and I would never chance doing it in case "big brother" is watching!!! But now, with the ipad, I'm all set!!! I can also use it to download crochet patterns and have them handy without printing them out. And a girl can never have too many toys-----or yarn!!!

This weekend I'm going to play with it when I'm wide awake in the morning and see what free apps I can download to it! And get it all set up with my email, etc.

~!@#$%^&*()(&^%%$#@@

The above comment is made in place of BAD words which I'm not allowed to use in here ,:2nono

although I am cursing like a sailor in person.

:rant

Good thing no one is here to hear me .

:ohdear

2 skeins of yarn washed and dried ,tied into separate pantyhose legs.

:blink

Let's just say that :

1- I have patience the length of a tsetse fly,and that is on a GOOD day .

:bang

2-This yarn looks like it was tied ,one end onto a car motor,then the car was driven around the Indy 500 track ,then backwards .

:irk

3-During the ATTEMPT to untangle it , also holding my mini laptop , you could visibly see tiny fibers covering the computer ,and being sucked down my windpipe as I continued to CURSE .

:sick

Moral of the story :

This has taught me that it is not good to wash yarn tied into a pantyhose leg,and not good to curse like a drunken sailor on shore leave while attempting to untangle it .

Now I am WHEEZING so hard I can't curse . :sigh

May I just say thank you to all of you for trying to help me find a way to use yarn and still BREATHE . I TRULY appreciate everyone's help .:yes

As a final message :

I am giving up anything yarn related. :thumbdown

My new hobby will be playing the ACCORDIAN .

Song requests will be taken in August of 2016 . I should be good enough by then to play you a tune .

I hope you like the Beer Barrel Polka. That's the first one I am going to learn,along with drinking a barrel of beer to calm me down .

Where's my Valium when I need it ?????

Awww, Honey :hug I feel so badly for your frustration. You have a grand way of telling a story that makes us empathize right off-of-the-bat. You are a treasure :yes

I just had to say...I laughed out loud at the thought of a brake caliper cozy!

And congrats on your new nephew!

Thank you, we are pretty excited about the new little guy :c9

Julie, I know it isnt funny...but it is the way you tell it. I don't think you can help yourself. You have such a way with words.

And I don't think you need much breath to play the accordian!!

:rofl

Well, so much for working on another WIP. :lol I'm making little squares again...just needed something smaller and mindless for now. :)

It was 44* at 5 this a.m. By 11 it was 24* with sleet! Now the sun is out and it's very cold and windy...crazy weather. :yes

:wbrr That's awfully cold for you. Be careful. Which saltine pattern did you choose to make this time around?

Here are pics of the mini loaf basket I made. Well, this is one of 5 I made :lolpost-20536-135897618321_thumb.jpg

post-20536-135897618292_thumb.jpg

Marisa, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. No words can help - just hugs:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug

Hi Sherri

It's ok,honestly . I appreciate you guys all trying to help me figure out a way to continue crocheting,but it just aint gonna happen .

I've tried so many types of yarn ,and every trick I can think of . I guess it's time to pick up a new hobby and forget this one .

It's just not worth it when you can actually hear yourself wheeze and cough just to crochet .

I guess we all have to give things up at some point in life ,even though we don't want to .

Cindy remarked on it, as many of us have. I think your new hobby should be writing stories for you to have ready for those times Cam comes to visit you. You are a gifted writer, a natural.:yes

I do have a laptop which I use most of the time at home- and I have my Nook that I can read on and now I have my Ipad (that I can take to work and sneak on the internet with):devil. It's nice and portable. (and much easier than using my Blackberry to check the internet) We can't use the internet at work for non-business related things and I would never chance doing it in case "big brother" is watching!!! But now, with the ipad, I'm all set!!! I can also use it to download crochet patterns and have them handy without printing them out. And a girl can never have too many toys-----or yarn!!!

This weekend I'm going to play with it when I'm wide awake in the morning and see what free apps I can download to it! And get it all set up with my email, etc.

You said it all! It stays on my wish list:D

Good morning! I would like the recipe for this here Spanakopita!!!

I was going to mail it, but since I was going to type up a neat version to replace the 40 yo piece of paper it currently sits on, I'll just type it out and post it here. In a day or two - :D

I got interrupted in my posting by dinner. I had bought two $5 entrees at the grocery store on Tuesday and tonight we had the second one. This one was okay, but I won't buy it again. Pasta with sausage, tomatoes, onions and peppers. It was very flavorful, but the pasta seemed way over cooked by the time it was reheated.

Work was busy today, but I enjoyed my day. Now I'm off until Monday. I think I'm going to watch my two youngest grandsons for a few hours tomorrow while DD takes the two oldest boys ice-skating. She invited me to come along, but I think my bad back and arthritic knees should stay off the ice. I told her to bring the little boys over here instead, and then she can enjoy skating without having to keep an eye on them.

I just finished a hat for one of the grandsons. (I've made all three of the older boys one, now.) I have it in the dryer at the moment. I have come to the conclusion that I hate making pom-poms. This is the pattern I've been using, minus the earflaps. Next time I make it, I'll decrease a little more gradually when I get to the top, and see how it looks without a pom-pom. The way its written, it looks kind of loose at the top, and the pom-pom hides that.

~~HELLO MY NEW FRIENDS~~ Those of you in the East............Your weather is KILLING ME!!!!! BE VERY CAREFUL!!! My boyfriend in Tennesee is dying w/ the snow, and my drivers everywhere else are battling it too! I think you have our Utah weather that we haven't had! Send it back!

**I'm also looking for opinions on KNIT PICKS sock yarn if any of you have used it! Is it soft---I'm loving the colors. I want socks and I want to do the Pinwheel sweater out of it if so! I like the price also! I wish I could afford the expensive stuff! Maybe one day.......

I am signing off for the evening- hope to see ya'll back here tomorrow! Thank you all for your friendship! I'm figuring you all out slowly but surely! lol Enjoying it thoroughly! I need to go home, get my kiddos homework done, dinner made, then try to finish up a couple of afghans and.......I need to make one for a wedding gift in a month....hmmmmm think I can do it?? BIG HOOK AND DOUBLE STRANDS.....

Marisa- What can I say that hasn't been said- I'm so sorry for the turn in events and I am holding you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.:hug:hug:hug

Julie- I think Judy is on to something- You are such a natural at writing and telling stories- that could be your new hobby- you are a reader and readers make great writers- and I have to honestly say I thoroughly enjoy your stories and the way you have with words. Of course, you could still play the accordian- I chuckled at that- My Dad was an accordian player and he could play any song- just by hearing it- I can remember going to parties when I was younger-and my Dad was always the hit of the party with his accordian- and we would all sing along- and then challenge him to play something- just by humming the song- he'd be able to play it- You brought back some good memories for me with your mention of the accordian- thank you!

Dusti- Love the bread basket- and love the vibrant colors!!!

Cindy- You are off for the rest of the week now aren't you? Enjoy!

Mary- 3 gates!!! Luke must really be getting around now!!!!

Linda- If you need help searching for fabrics- I'll be willing to help out- I looked online and there is a quilt shop about 1/2 hr away in Howell that sells Hoffman fabric. I'm telling you all this talk of quilting- makes me want to add a sewing machine to my wish list and learn how to quilt- they are so beautiful!!!

Sherri- Glad to hear that the scarf is as warm as it is beautiful!

They are still forecasting snow and I can work from home tomorrow if it does- I brought work home- so I'm all set- now ---let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!:lol

~~HELLO MY NEW FRIENDS~~ Those of you in the East............Your weather is KILLING ME!!!!! BE VERY CAREFUL!!! My boyfriend in Tennesee is dying w/ the snow, and my drivers everywhere else are battling it too! I think you have our Utah weather that we haven't had! Send it back!

**I'm also looking for opinions on KNIT PICKS sock yarn if any of you have used it! Is it soft---I'm loving the colors. I want socks and I want to do the Pinwheel sweater out of it if so! I like the price also! I wish I could afford the expensive stuff! Maybe one day.......

I am signing off for the evening- hope to see ya'll back here tomorrow! Thank you all for your friendship! I'm figuring you all out slowly but surely! lol Enjoying it thoroughly! I need to go home, get my kiddos homework done, dinner made, then try to finish up a couple of afghans and.......I need to make one for a wedding gift in a month....hmmmmm think I can do it?? BIG HOOK AND DOUBLE STRANDS.....

Yes, we are getting snow again tonight into tomorrow- we've gotten hit harder than usual this year- It must be your weather we are getting! And you can have it back- gladly- although I would like to work from home tomorrow, so I'll take one more day of snow!!:lol

Yup- Big Hook, Double Strands should do the trick on a quick afghan!

~

Yes I think you can do it. I made my son a 54 inch square afghan for Christmas using an N hook and two strands of WW yarn, and it took me less than 2 weeks. I probably could've done it in less time, but the big hook bothered my hands after a while.

Sorry, I've never used any sock yarn of any sort.

Linda this store is near me. They are a very reputable store, so I think you could safely order from them online.

http://www.fieldsfabricsonline.com/Hoffman-Challenge-2011_c_533.html

It looks like they have a few of the fabrics available on-line. I don't know what they will have in the store, but I can easily check it out. I shop there quite a bit.

There are also a couple of quilt stores in grand Rapids that I can check out if you need me to.

Here are pics of the mini loaf basket I made. Well, this is one of 5 I made :lol [ATTACH]33587[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]33591[/ATTACH]

Beautiful, Dusti. :clap :clap :clap

Work was busy today, but I enjoyed my day. Now I'm off until Monday. I think I'm going to watch my two youngest grandsons for a few hours tomorrow while DD takes the two oldest boys ice-skating. She invited me to come along, but I think my bad back and arthritic knees should stay off the ice. I told her to bring the little boys over here instead, and then she can enjoy skating without having to keep an eye on them.

I just finished a hat for one of the grandsons. (I've made all three of the older boys one, now.) I have it in the dryer at the moment. I have come to the conclusion that I hate making pom-poms. This is the pattern I've been using, minus the earflaps. Next time I make it, I'll decrease a little more gradually when I get to the top, and see how it looks without a pom-pom. The way its written, it looks kind of loose at the top, and the pom-pom hides that.

Love the hat pattern and I think you are smart to keep the little ones and stay off the ice yourself.

Linda this store is near me. They are a very reputable store, so I think you could safely order from them online.

http://www.fieldsfabricsonline.com/Hoffman-Challenge-2011_c_533.html

It looks like they have a few of the fabrics available on-line. I don't know what they will have in the store, but I can easily check it out. I shop there quite a bit.

There are also a couple of quilt stores in grand Rapids that I can check out if you need me to.

Love ya, Cindy. :hug That's the first site I've seen that has all the collection options. :yay Yippee! :yay I saved the site. Thank you so very much for the information. :hug

Good evening ladies :hi

Well, she passed away this morning at 11:15, so didn't breathe very long by herself :( I choose to keep reminding myself she was in for a long road of suffering to fight the leukemia, so at least now she won't suffer. I believe the arrangements are made and were all taken care of by the church. They'll have a viewing and mass back home and then she'll be transported to her mother house for another viewing and the burial there. My mom is holding up exceptionally well, so I hope she doesn't get hit with a breakdown once everything starts to settle a bit :xfin

Thank you all so very much for your hugs and prayers and I appreciate more than you can think :yes I find you all to very comforting friends :hug :hug :hug

My package went to the post office this morning and it should arrive next week sometime :clap:yay

We're also supposed to get some snow tonight....I think 2-4 inches :think We shall see what morning brings.

I'll stop back in later on, I'm going to get american idol started on my dvr.

Love the hat pattern and I think you are smart to keep the little ones and stay off the ice yourself.

Love ya, Cindy. :hug That's the first site I've seen that has all the collection options. :yay Yippee! :yay I saved the site. Thank you so very much for the information. :hug

You're welcome.

Marisa- I wish I could give you a real life hug, but these will have to do for now-:hug:hug:hug:hug

You have a very special angel watching over all of you now and I think God wanted her home and didn't want her to suffer! I hope that your Mom holds up and that your brother will be ok in dealing with it!

:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug

Just found out that my DH's youngest DD is having a baby boy- due July 10th! She is very excited since this is her first! She has already asked me to make a baby blanket!! Of course I will!!! So, all of you experienced baby blanket makers what would be a good pattern for a summer blanket?

Hi Ladies,

Marisa, I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin. I will keep your family in my prayers.:hug

Julie, Yes I can tell the therapy is helping me. Sorry the washing of the yarn didn't work out. And a writer/story teller you are.

Joanne, Cards was fun and I won a few hands. We were talking and laughing most of the time and still managed to be the first done. We were even told to quiet down we were having to much fun. Congrats on the new grandbaby to be. Will you be called Grandma?

Dusti, The only thing that bothers my hand was chopping the onions, so I just moved on to another job. Have a fun time down at your parents. I have never heard of calipers freezing, but it doesn't sound like much fun.

Your baskets are really nice and colorful. Congrats on the new nephew!

Kiyo, I have enjoyed getting to know you to.

Cindy, Enjoy your long weekend! Enjoy the grandsons tomorrow.

Hi to everyone else! We made up the rest of are brkfst burritos this morning and I brounght some home and put them in the freezer. It's turned cold here and it's windy out. Suppose to get down to the mid 30's tonight and tomorrow night. Be glad when this cold spell goes through.

Tomorrow I have pt then we are prepping for saturdays lunch. Then in the evening we have some music show here. So it will be a long day. I don't know if I'll get here or not. Have a nice weekend everyone. Stay warm and be safe!

Just found out that my DH's youngest DD is having a baby boy- due July 10th! She is very excited since this is her first! She has already asked me to make a baby blanket!! Of course I will!!! So, all of you experienced baby blanket makers what would be a good pattern for a summer blanket?

When I think of warm weather blankets, I tend to think of lacy, open stitch ones, and I probably wouldn't make a lacy blanket for a boy. However, I think any blanket will be welcomed. It will be used for longer than a few months.

There are a couple of patterns at http://www.freepatterns.com that call for baby yarn. You need to sign up for the site to see the pattern. One is "boy wrapper" and another is called "cuddly confections".

I have a blanket pattern on my blog that might work also:

http://gardeners-ramblings.blogspot.com/2008/12/peek-boo-baby-blanket.html

I used "Pound of Love" to make it, it is somewhat open, but I don't think it's too girly. (mine is because I used pink yarn..but what do you expect from a woman with four grandsons?)

Archived