Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Hi housemates!

I'm back in NJ!:( The weather in Boston today was fine- sunny-just cold around 11 degrees. It was tomorrow I was really worried about since they were saying ice/snow in the early morning- and it was going to be ice/snow through most of CT too! DD and BF were disappointed that they didn't get to the Museum of Fine Arts and the North End :( which was the original plan for today We probably should have looked at the weather forecast when planning what to do on what day-:yes and should have done the museum yesterday. But we didn't- :no

I felt bad for them cause even though DD has been to the MFA, her BF hasn't and he is really an awesome artist and he was really looking forward to seeing it!! I told them they'll have to plan another trek to Boston one weekend- just to go to the MFA! They understood about the weather concerns though- if it was just going to be some snow- I probably would have hung around today and gone to the museum- but ICE- that's a totally other thing!!!:eek

Cindy- Be careful if you get the ice- and have to go to work.

Kiyo- Great pics- and thanks for sharing them with us!!! Love your "alarm system" too!!!! Your DD is so pretty! And kudos to you for being a single mom and working two jobs and having time to crochet too!!! Glad that you found us here at "our house"

Dusti- That pinwheel sweater is beautiful!!!! And the snowflakes too!! What a talent you are- the crafty project sounds like it was so much fun. What a great mom you are!:hug Can't wait to see the baskets!!!!

Mary- Hope you had a nice day with the sun- I had sunny weather all the way home until we hit NY by the Tappan Zee Bridge. At least the temperature was warmer here than in Boston!

Marisa- :clap on your Sixer's win and a shortened workday to go and see them win!!!

Linda- You sure sound like you have a lot planned for today- but you probably have lots of energy after sleeping in!!!

It feels good to be home- but would have liked to spend one more day with everyone! DD is going on vacation at the end of March which would be around the time I'd plan another trek up- so maybe April (which seems so far away). I don't like to wish bad weather on anyone, but I'm going to feel really bad if we left early and there is no snow/ice tomorrow in Beantown.

Off to get something to eat for dinner.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joanne - I'm glad to see you came home today. Now DD and BF have a reason to go back to boston :yes:lol Enjoy your evening.

Thanks Marisa! I just feel bad that the artists didn't get to the MFA! Mother's guilt?:think

I am loving every minute of this! Ladies, you're all so great and I see that you have built some great friendships here! Thank you for all your kind words! As I mentioned, I'm excited to get to know you all more! If I babble on too much, please just let me know to ......breathe! lol I am signing off for the night, will be back tomorrow! We are supposed to get snow tomorrow.......we shall see- we have soooo much puddling due to the rain we've gotten the last couple of days, and warmer weather. We did get to see the sun today for a little.

Happy Monday ya'll! I had to sign off for the weekend! Now I'm back at it! Hope you all had a great weekend, no crazy snow anywhere! It's been a fun weekend. We had some rain, melting away our 10 inches of snow.....don't know if I'm happy or sad about that! I love the snow but I hate the bitter cold. I made 2 pairs of my slippers this weekend. Just got a call to make 3 king size afghans.........hmmmmm what do you charge someone to do that? And.......that seems like a TON of time...however I'm not into making a killing off my skills-lol Any suggestions?

I'm still learning about everyone and your names! I am loving this! My name is Kiyo- I can't remember what is in my profile if anything about me! So....here's a little about me. I'm just shy of 34, I am a single mom of a beautiful little 10 yr. old daughter. I hold down a house, a full time dispatching job and a part time job! YIKES! Where do I fit in my crocheting.......at 0430 in the morning with my morning coffee and the news with peace and quiet! I really should be going to the gym but haven't made it yet! I love to ski with my baby girl when I have the money! Winter in Utah!

I am excited to continue to get to know all of you! Hope your day is great! *THEY SAID ON THE NEWS THAT TODAY IS OFFICIALLY CALLED "BLUE MONDAY" the saddest day of the year!! Mine is great so far......hope all is well!

Beautiful pictures and adorable furbabies, Kiyo. The pictures of you daughter are fabulous.

Just a quick fly-by, here. Our day is going so well. We made two stops in town, and then hurried home ahead of the Winter Weather Advisory. Honestly, I did not have any trouble out on the roads, but there is a lot of new snow all around, and with the wind picking up speed, visibility is going to be pretty awful for a few hours. Glad I am home, snug as a bug :ladybug

The bread painting project was a lot of fun and amused the girls far longer than I ever thought it would. They ate more for lunch than they normally would have, just because we were playing with our food, and they did not realize how much they were actually eating when it was packaged as flowers and hearts with mini toppings :lol I doubt you will ever need more crafty ideas for Luke, Mary, as I know the same such projects are naturally in your head and heart, but feel free to poke me anytime, as I have a binder of them, too. One never knows when a quick project is needed to lift a little one out of a funk or reinforce a lesson taught at school -- I have oodles that worked with my students, too ;)

My computer would not let me connect to the Internet, yesterday, so I was not able to get back in here in the afternoon. It is not photo Friday, but...better late than never. Here is what I have been working on for the past week

1) Pinwheel Sweater in Patons Kroy sock yarn. The body of the sweater is finished and bordered. The left arm reaches about half-way between my shoulder and elbow, at present. [ATTACH]33424[/ATTACH]

2) Snowflakes (photographed really blurry :blush)

[ATTACH]33426[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]33425[/ATTACH]

3) Afghan for my college roommate's father using 3 strands of RHSS and a Q hook [ATTACH]33427[/ATTACH]

My bread baskets will have to be photographed, later, when they are filled, because they will look a whole lot better, then. Right now, it is hard to see their depth, and they are not real impressive. Stay tuned.

Hope everyone is warm and safe. Have a good evening!

Wow! You've been busy, Dusti.

I didn't get nearly as much done as I might have, but that's okay. The borders are now on the baby blanket. It'll be 44" by 44" when done. I really like the color scheme. I wasn't sure sure how the double Irish chain pattern would work in that size, but it's good. My shoulder was nagging at me from all the sewing I've been doing, so I curled up in bed with my book and went from 1/4 done to half way done. :devil

Kiyo ~ I'm a live-in caregiver/companion for a lady(Kim) who has had 3 major strokes. I'm on duty whenever her husband(John) is at work or away from home. I'll be 61 in February and have been doing crafts since I was about 9 years old. My mom taught me to knit, my grandmother taught me to crochet, and they both had a hand in teaching me to do fancy hand work (cross-stitch, embroidery, etc.) I've got two children (both grown and on their own) and one grandchild (Ayden) who is seven. I worked as a nurse for 14 years and in accounting for 12 years.

I don't know how much to charge for my handwork, either. I guess I'll come up with something if Lois decides to have me make her a quilted throw and pillow shams. :lol

I feel a little better after speaking with my DD and her BF- they kept telling me not to worry about it and they'll plan a trek to Boston to go see the MFA.

Kiyo- You will find everyone here to be so kind and caring and yes, we have built some nice friendships!! A little bit about me- I'm 55- and have 3 adult daughters (I was a single mom when they were in their teens and I know how hard it is) I got remarried a few days after 9/11-so this year will be our 10th anniversary. My oldest DD is single, works at a law firm and lives in Boston- where I was this past weekend. She is 31. My middle DD is 28 and is also single. She lives with her BF and they are both artists. She lived in Philly for a few years and then moved back to NJ to pursue her Master's in Art Education last January. She finally landed an assistantship for this semester, so she is very happy about that! She has about a year left to get her Master's. My youngest is 27 and she is happily married for 2 1/2 years to my wonderful son-in-law. They have an English bulldog Belle who turned 1 in November. I am a nurse (hence my screen name) and I now work in the insurance industry- I refer to my work as "paradise" so when you see me write I'm off to paradise- you'll know what I'm talking about!

Linda- Reading sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day--which is what I'm going to do in a few minutes. I was going to start working on my flannel'ghan but I'm tired from the drive so I think cuddling up in bed with my book is a better plan.

I'll see you all in the AM

Just a quick fly-by, here. Our day is going so well. We made two stops in town, and then hurried home ahead of the Winter Weather Advisory. Honestly, I did not have any trouble out on the roads, but there is a lot of new snow all around, and with the wind picking up speed, visibility is going to be pretty awful for a few hours. Glad I am home, snug as a bug :ladybug

The bread painting project was a lot of fun and amused the girls far longer than I ever thought it would. They ate more for lunch than they normally would have, just because we were playing with our food, and they did not realize how much they were actually eating when it was packaged as flowers and hearts with mini toppings :lol I doubt you will ever need more crafty ideas for Luke, Mary, as I know the same such projects are naturally in your head and heart, but feel free to poke me anytime, as I have a binder of them, too. One never knows when a quick project is needed to lift a little one out of a funk or reinforce a lesson taught at school -- I have oodles that worked with my students, too ;)

My computer would not let me connect to the Internet, yesterday, so I was not able to get back in here in the afternoon. It is not photo Friday, but...better late than never. Here is what I have been working on for the past week

1) Pinwheel Sweater in Patons Kroy sock yarn. The body of the sweater is finished and bordered. The left arm reaches about half-way between my shoulder and elbow, at present. [ATTACH]33424[/ATTACH]

2) Snowflakes (photographed really blurry :blush)

[ATTACH]33426[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]33425[/ATTACH]

3) Afghan for my college roommate's father using 3 strands of RHSS and a Q hook [ATTACH]33427[/ATTACH]

My bread baskets will have to be photographed, later, when they are filled, because they will look a whole lot better, then. Right now, it is hard to see their depth, and they are not real impressive. Stay tuned.

Hope everyone is warm and safe. Have a good evening!

Everything looks great. Love the pinwheel. Nice colors.

Good morning everyone!!!

The weathermen were right- :yes and it is a snowy icy mix out there today- even here in NJ! So I'm very glad and feel much better that I made the right decision in cutting my little vacation in Boston a day short. Not that I'm happy about the weather- cause it's pretty slick out there- just that I made the right decision.

Cindy- if you got this snowy/icy mix- be careful driving to work!--

You too, Marisa!!!

I'm glad that I have the day off and plan to work some more on my flannelghan. I decided to gift my DD the blue/beige large granny ghan that had been gracing my couch in the family room since I made it.

So now, I need to finish the flannelghan that will take its place!

I ended up finishing the scarf I was making in Boston and then reading for about 20 minutes before calling it a night last evening.

May as well start the laundry, grab a cup of coffee and get the day started!

Good morning ladies :tea

I've been up for a little bit and am now eating my bfast with a cup of tea. I read a bit of my book last night and made some more progress on the baby blanket. I was hoping to put it in the mail this morning, but that's not happening :lol Hopefully thursday now :xfin I might be able to finish the blanket tonight and border tomorrow :yes

Joanne - I'm up, I'm up :lol But, it is my late day, so not as early as the other days :lol I'm glad you get to stay in with this ugly weather :(

Good Morning, ladies. :) This will be quick - off to DH's eye dr. again. :( He had some blurry vision this a.m. and that is a "reason to call and come in."

Dusti ~ Wonderful pictures and beautiful work! Love the colors in the sweater and your snowflakes are very pretty. :clap

Kiyo ~ We're so glad you're here! :manyheart Your daughter is adorable and so are Duke and Pixie. :yes With two jobs, a 10-year old and pets, you must be super busy!

Joanne ~ I'm glad you're home safe and sound. You sure made a good decision on traveling yesterday. :)

Hi and Hugs to everyone. Will check in this afternoon. :manyheart

Good morning, housemates. I've been up for about an hour, but just made it on here. My daughter sent me information about the 2011 Hoffman Quilt Challenge this morning and I've spent a large chunk of time looking through the information. The quilts aren't super large, but knowing me, if I enter it will be complex even if it doesn't look complex. I'm thinking about entering, but will need to see the actual fabrics first and see if they spark any brainstorms. I have a bit of an idea playing in my head just from the pictures. We will see.

I'm glad you cut your trip short and missed the nasty weather, Joanne. I remember what it's like to drive in that and it is NOT fun!

I'm off for now to get Kim's day started. Stay safe, everyone. :hug

It's me again,

Just jumping in to bum a bit :( My mom just called to let me know that her cousin, the one that is a nun, was just last night diagnosed with Leukemia. My mom is now following the ambulance up to Geisinger, which is about a half hour ride, because our local hospital just isn't adequate. They say it's the beginning stages, but we'll see what they say at the new hospital when they rerun all the testing. She's been having horrible congestion for over a month now and has tried many different meds, none of which have worked :( Went to the ER last night because she couldn't breathe. My mom went to the convent to gather up some things to take up to the hospital and will get something for herself to eat when they take my cousin in for testing, since she didn't have any time to eat bfast this morning. But, she did grab some snacks out of her cabinet. We're very hopeful at this point since they're saying the beginning stages and her sister has been fighting cancer for 12 years now, albeit a different type.

OK, I'm off to get ready for work and will be back later tonight.

Mary- Good luck at the eye doctor with DH!!!

Marisa- Sorry to hear about your mom's cousin- hoping that it is the early stages and that she is being taken to a better facility. Prayers are being said for all!!!

Linda- That quilt show sounds like it might be right up your alley! And if you already have ideas jumping around in your head---

Dryer just buzzed- so time to fold the laundry.

BBL

Good morning, peeps!!

Marisa, DS has a B/day on March 23...and I feel so old with each passing year:lol

It's me again,

Just jumping in to bum a bit :( My mom just called to let me know that her cousin, the one that is a nun, was just last night diagnosed with Leukemia. My mom is now following the ambulance up to Geisinger, which is about a half hour ride, because our local hospital just isn't adequate. They say it's the beginning stages, but we'll see what they say at the new hospital when they rerun all the testing. She's been having horrible congestion for over a month now and has tried many different meds, none of which have worked :( Went to the ER last night because she couldn't breathe. My mom went to the convent to gather up some things to take up to the hospital and will get something for herself to eat when they take my cousin in for testing, since she didn't have any time to eat bfast this morning. But, she did grab some snacks out of her cabinet. We're very hopeful at this point since they're saying the beginning stages and her sister has been fighting cancer for 12 years now, albeit a different type.

Oh, sweetie...thoughts and prayers for everyone.:hug:manyheart

Off to get some stuff done..BBL!

It's me again,

:hug :hug :hug Hope the new hospital has some promising new and a good treatment plan for her. :hug :hug :hug

Mary~ :hug :hug :hug Good luck at the eye doctor.

Would you believe? I've already come up with a pattern for the contest just from looking at the pictures of the material.. Don't know if I'll actually do it or not, but I'm seriously considering it. A 40" by 40" quilt would take about 5 yards of material including the backing material.

Linda- with your talent I think you should go for it. I'll be here cheering you on!!:cheer:cheer

I finished the second strip of my flannel'ghan and then weaved in the ends and whip-stitched the first and second strips together. This is my new way of doing the flannel'ghan- instead of waiting till all the strips are done and then whipstitching them all together at once. Now on to the third strip.

:)

post-27163-135897617517_thumb.jpg

Hi there house, Yep I fell asleep yesterday without getting in here, but I'm fine. I did finish a 12 inch square yesterday which when I get a moment I will post it here. The square was made for a CAL that I'm in over at Raverly. Got to run and make lunch for the little ones. Just wanted to let you know that you are all in my thoughts. Hugs BBL :hug:hug:hug

Linda- with your talent I think you should go for it. I'll be here cheering you on!!:cheer:cheer

I finished the second strip of my flannel'ghan and then weaved in the ends and whip-stitched the first and second strips together. This is my new way of doing the flannel'ghan- instead of waiting till all the strips are done and then whipstitching them all together at once. Now on to the third strip.

LOVE IT! I am going to have to do one of these! I was looking through everyones color combos and I was impressed!

Hi again. Thanks for all the well-wishes. :manyheart The eye dr. did most of the tests he does each month and saw no change since last week. :) Since things can change quickly, he always reminds us to call with any change. DH is working from home this afternoon, since his eyes were dilated.

Marisa ~ Sending my thoughts and prayers for your Mom's cousin. :hug

Linda ~ Oh! A quilt challenge is perfect for you...with your creativity and talent! Looking forward to seeing your baby DIC. :yes

Joanne ~ Love your flannelghan! The colors are great together. :clap

Hi Cheeria! How are the little guys doing?

Kiyo ~ Do you have any colors in mind for the flannelghan? I haven't made one yet, but it's such a wonderful pattern!

A big HI to all the House Ladies!

I have lots to do, but think it's time for a little crocheting. :hook I get to see Luke tomorrow while DD goes to a meeting. :c9

The colors look great!:cheer

Hi again. Thanks for all the well-wishes. :manyheart The eye dr. did most of the tests he does each month and saw no change since last week. :) Since things can change quickly, he always reminds us to call with any change. DH is working from home this afternoon, since his eyes were dilated.

Marisa ~ Sending my thoughts and prayers for your Mom's cousin. :hug

Linda ~ Oh! A quilt challenge is perfect for you...with your creativity and talent! Looking forward to seeing your baby DIC. :yes

Joanne ~ Love your flannelghan! The colors are great together. :clap

Hi Cheeria! How are the little guys doing?

Kiyo ~ Do you have any colors in mind for the flannelghan? I haven't made one yet, but it's such a wonderful pattern!

A big HI to all the House Ladies!

I have lots to do, but think it's time for a little crocheting. :hook I get to see Luke tomorrow while DD goes to a meeting. :c9

Hi Mary---I am a brights person- You know this flannelghan kind of reminds me of some that i've done but not in squares or strips- mine are big wide stripes- I will do 2 strands and keep 1 strand the same color throughout- my fav is MY pink, black and white one. Pink is my main color, started pink and black and did 25 rows, then pink and white and did 15 or 20 rows then pink, can't remember if I did pink and pink and then back to the pink/black, etc. I did a purple/white/dk purple one, a blue/black/ white one, a black/red/blue one with a yellow stripe (was supposed to be like a steelers theme) Blue/white/Orange (Bronco's) hmmmmm.....I just might have to take some photographs again! Tonight when I get home!

I did see one that said Scooby colors in the archive of that ghan- I liked it. How about you? WHat colors might you put together?

Mary- Glad to hear that DH's eye appt went well!!! Have fun with Luke tomorrow! And happy crocheting today!

Cheeria- Glad you stopped in- I had done that Maggies square from the Ravelry CAL and it came out wonky. I guess I wasn't paying attention. And I've kind of lost interest in it right now.

Kiyo- Oh, can't wait to see pics of the afghans that you did in stripes- How wide did you make it? Sounds like a great way to go through some stash!!! I made my middle DD a granny stripe afghan- from Attic 24...and the colors were all bright and cheerful! I love bright colors- but for this flannel'ghan, I needed something to match my couch!

Didn't start on the 3rd strip of the flannelghan because- -----DH got me an IPad as an early Valentine's Present- so I've been playing with that! He found it on Craigslist for a really, really good price!!! I was going to get myself one in March with my gift card for perfect attendance--now I can find something else that I'd like to treat myself with.

BBL

Archived