Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Good morning ladies :hi

I see it's been busy in here today already. I hope everyone has a great day :hug After work, Mary and I are running to a yarn store, not sure which one yet. I need more yarn for my baby blanket and she just found out that a friend of hers is having twin boys so she wants yarn to make a baby something :think Not sure what she decided yet, but I think she's going for jackets in blue and green. I told her I have some blue I can give her, but she still needs another color so they can be the same, but different :lol I think she's trying to get them done for the end of the month, which is when the baby shower is. I think I might be roped into this one because that's alot for her in a short time :lol She just has less time than me, even though we work the same hours, she also has to look after her mom who is mentally challenged. And although her aunt is her mother's legal guardian, of course Mary spends alot of her free time over there and doing things with her mom :yes

I've decided I am heading up my parents this weekend and called my mom this morning to make sure she has my hair color :D

Twinkle - I love the blanket and the colors really 'pop' :manyheart

Trish - No worries, I also don't get to post individually all the time as I'm often busy or in a hurry too :yes I hope you get some 'me' time on your off days :xfin

Joanne - I like the cowl pattern, thanks for sharing :D By the time you read this, you'll be on vaca :yay:clap Are you leaving tomorrow? Drive safely and have fun. I'm sure your girls will love their new cowls :yes

CJ - What's on your agenda for today? Which classes do you have to work on?

Cindy - Keep warm while your out and about. I hope you find something at Kohl's that you need, but just didn't know you needed it until you saw it :lol

Judy - What are you up to on this wonderful morning? ;)

Cheeria - So nice to 'see' you while waiting for the little tykes to arrive, have fun with them as I know you will :yes

Linda - Glad to hear that John made it in ok and that he wasn't late for his meeting :clap I can't wait to see this quilt, because it sounds absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure it will be :bounce

Oh, my mom said this morning that my sil is dilating and they went to the hospital on a false alarm earlier in the week, so we're getting close. The baby's name is Madeline, which was my grandma on my dad's side, who's bday would be today :clap:yay So, I think she might be working her magic from heaven to have another Madeline born on this date :think We shall see. My mom's hoping for today, I'm not as sure, but we're all anxiously awaiting now :yes Her sister is out visiting with her right now and as it stands, my bro has to leave work to come get my sil to go to the hosp, which will be overall a 45 minutes time framee from him leaving work and arriving at the hosp. I asked my mom why her sis couldn't drive her and meet my bro at the hosp. Well, the boys are 'banned' from the hosp and apparently at this time of year, children are not allowed to accompany others in unless they are the ones there for treatment :eek This doesn't make any sense to me, what are people supposed to do with their kids. I'd tell them the kids some with me or you better send a doc out to my car to deliver this baby :lol Anyway, :xfin that everything works out ok :yes

Gotta head out, see y'all later

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning! Our trees are beautiful this a.m. Each branch and pine needle is coated with a thick layer of sparkly flakes, making the trees look fuller than the whitest flocked tree available for sale during the holidays. :flake We live out in the middle of farm fields, but if I walk a mile, I can pass by two wind rows of trees, and their beauty prompted my outdoor stroll after the girls and DH left for school. More snow is in the forecast, up to 6-inches by Saturday morning :snow I visited the market, yesterday, so we are stocked-up on staples and extra fixings for hot chocolate, because I know my crew will be out playing in the snow all weekend. I hope those of you dealing with unnatural amounts of snow and the ice-coated roadways are slowly starting to see their way out of the treacherous travel conditions. Be careful going in to work, school or out to do daily errands :drive

This is a work in progress, but it's the afghan I'll be giving away when I have my baby shower as a door prize. It's also what I've been working on since I've been stranded at my friend's house! lol
That is so pretty. One of my DDs likes pink and the other likes the bright green -- you have a definite "hit" with your afghan :yes

lovinthin32 ~ your slippers do sound very unique, and it is wonderful that you were able to create something you are so thrilled with. I, too, hope you figure out how to post pics, soon, as I would like to see your fancy slippers.

Joanne ~ It was good to hear that you had a productive, happy day of working at home. I hope your drive in to paradise this morning did not take too much longer than usual. And, it is great that, by the time you read this, you will be in the midst of a long holiday. Thank you for sharing the cowl pattern. I copied that one, and I will have to give it a try, soon. When do you leave for Boston? Did you pick up the bagels on your way home from work? I have never had "good/authentic" bagels...but your DD is lucky to have you bring her such a tasty treat.

Hi, Cindy, Marisa, Judy, Linda, LeAnna, and everyone else :waving I finished half of the 3-strand afghan I started, yesterday, so I am going to continue working on it, today. A whole afghan finished in two days -- that would be a record, but certainly do-able with this Q-hook :hook Talk to you, later.

Linda ~ Your quilt is going to be stunning :droolYou have such talent (and patience). Oh good, another visit with Rosie, even though you are going to pick-her-brain for a few minutes on your placements. After that, you can just gab :hug Glad to hear that John made it to work, since he was so determined to go in, today. I hope you and Kim have a good day and stay warm.

Marisa ~ Will the roads be clear enough for you to get up to your parents' this weekend? Be very careful! You need a weekend with your folks, and it will be a bonus to get your hair colored and some other projects tackled together. You will have to keep us posted on whether Baby Madeline makes her appearance, today. That would be pretty neat, if she did arrive on your grandmother's birthday :yes Here is hoping your SIL had a smooth and easy labor and delivery :hug

Lovinthin32 ~ It's not that hard to post a picture here. You click on the paperclip, browse on you computer for the picture you want to post and then double click on it, then click on the upload button. Sometimes it takes a while for the upload to happen, but you'll know it's done when it appears in the bottom of the screen and blanks on the browse line. You can continue to upload as many pictures as you want. When you submit your reply the pictures will appear at the bottom of your post. If you want them in a specific spot in your post, go to that spot, click on the paperclip and then click on the picture(s) you want at that spot. You can get up to three pictures in a row. Close the paperclip and move to the next spot you want a picture and repeat. Hope this helps. :manyheart

This is a work in progress, but it's the afghan I'll be giving away when I have my baby shower as a door prize. It's also what I've been working on since I've been stranded at my friend's house! lol
That's cute! Looks like the "cat" afghan pattern I've seen. It's a sweet idea, too....

After dinner last evening, I made a cowl for me to wear in Boston. I used this patternhttp://jaidalouisa.blogspot.com/2010/12/half-hour-cowl.html It worked up really quick so I'll probably make one for both of my DD's tonight so we'll all have one up in Boston! After working on that, I did a few more blocks on my flannelghan and then headed to bed to read for a bit. I opened my Nook and remembered I never finished Hostile Intent- so continued with that book for about 20 minutes and then I was off to la-la land!

thanks for the link! I have some WoolEase that would be perfect for it,

When are you heading to Boston?? Or are you already gone and I missed that in my speedreading of posts? Safe trip, hon.

John just called. He made it in to work just in time for the 9:30 meeting. The neighborhood roads were the worst part of the drive.

That's the same here...main roads are always good.

Auntie Marisa, I hope Madeline makes her appearance today!

Good morning! Our trees are beautiful this a.m. Each branch and pine needle is coated with a thick layer of sparkly flakes, making the trees look fuller than the whitest flocked tree available for sale during the holidays. :flake We live out in the middle of farm fields, but if I walk a mile, I can pass by two wind rows of trees, and their beauty prompted my outdoor stroll after the girls and DH left for school. More snow is in the forecast, up to 6-inches by Saturday morning :snow I visited the market, yesterday, so we are stocked-up on staples and extra fixings for hot chocolate, because I know my crew will be out playing in the snow all weekend. I hope those of you dealing with unnatural amounts of snow and the ice-coated roadways are slowly starting to see their way out of the treacherous travel conditions. Be careful going in to work, school or out to do daily errands :drive

That is so pretty. One of my DDs likes pink and the other likes the bright green -- you have a definite "hit" with your afghan :yes

lovinthin32 ~ your slippers do sound very unique, and it is wonderful that you were able to create something you are so thrilled with. I, too, hope you figure out how to post pics, soon, as I would like to see your fancy slippers.

Joanne ~ It was good to hear that you had a productive, happy day of working at home. I hope your drive in to paradise this morning did not take too much longer than usual. And, it is great that, by the time you read this, you will be in the midst of a long holiday. Thank you for sharing the cowl pattern. I copied that one, and I will have to give it a try, soon. When do you leave for Boston? Did you pick up the bagels on your way home from work? I have never had "good/authentic" bagels...but your DD is lucky to have you bring her such a tasty treat.

Hi, Cindy, Marisa, Judy, Linda, LeAnna, and everyone else :waving I finished half of the 3-strand afghan I started, yesterday, so I am going to continue working on it, today. A whole afghan finished in two days -- that would be a record, but certainly do-able with this Q-hook :hook Talk to you, later.

Hi there! Snow's gone here...still working on more socks...I have three things that seriously need attention today: Bills, laundry and clean out the fridge. Today is yarn shop day, but I'm on the fence about going...I'll make that decision by 1:30!

Had our first Vashon Chorale rehearsal on Tuesday and our rehearsal got cut short by an hour because of the snow. It was a fun ride home (very slow...)

But about the music...oh my goodness, I don't know...I hope it gets better because the music is so slow (it's a Requiem, so it's mournful and slow) the German's not bad, but when you're trying to put it all together...urg...

I still owe pics...if I don't go to the yarn shop this afternoon, maybe I'll post pics then.

Hope you all have a good day.

Well, I didn't do anythign this AM...unless you count changing and washing sheets, flipping a mattress, brushing Sparkie...and playing in the snow with him.

I'm exhausted!:lol

Here's my newest Homespun stash-buster project:http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90097AD.html?r=1

It'll be for the nursing home.

The baby 9 patch I made now has a sc border and is going to the NICU. I'll make a different pattern for the baby present. I have lots of time....she's not due till May.

Cheeria, looking forward to seeing you, Joanne and Marissa at the end of the month!

LeAnna, I think I would feel claustrophobic living on an island and knowing that I had to take the ferry to the mainland and be on their schedule, not mine.

Have a good day!

Off to start my meat sauce,:D

Lovinthin32 ~ It's not that hard to post a picture here. You click on the paperclip, browse on you computer for the picture you want to post and then double click on it, then click on the upload button. Sometimes it takes a while for the upload to happen, but you'll know it's done when it appears in the bottom of the screen and blanks on the browse line. You can continue to upload as many pictures as you want. When you submit your reply the pictures will appear at the bottom of your post. If you want them in a specific spot in your post, go to that spot, click on the paperclip and then click on the picture(s) you want at that spot. You can get up to three pictures in a row. Close the paperclip and move to the next spot you want a picture and repeat. Hope this helps. :manyheart

Ok, I think I'm going to have to save the image from my facebook because they are all on there, I uploaded from my phone and then start from scratch to upload them! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

LeAnna, I think I would feel claustrophobic living on an island and knowing that I had to take the ferry to the mainland and be on their schedule, not mine.

Have a good day!

Off to start my meat sauce,:D

Have to say, this kind of living isn't for everyone...when I moved here, I honestly didn't know if I could handle it either...I was so use to being able to go to the movies at the drop of a hat if I wanted to, or even going to fast food more often if I wanted to and so on...but you know, it ended up being a god send in many ways. The only time the ferries are a problem is when they are a problem. For example if a boat is down for whatever reason or seriously late. As far as having to plan more for off island excursions, there's actually some freedom in that. And I discovered for myself that I needed that planning in my life.

When I am off island, it's more fun than if I lived on the "main land" because I try to make sure that my time off island is not wasted. Same with Hub-E. That we both have built in to our weekly schedule a day for each of us to be off island means that we can gas our cars for far less than if we bought gas on the island (now that will give you sticker shock) and do most of our grocery shopping either at the commissary and/or our other favorite stores. I can get to Joann's and my favorite all in one store Fred Meyer (regional and on par with Target and Walmart, but I like Freddy's better) not to mention the yarn shop. If time allows for everyone, especially in Port Orchard, I can stop in and see my cousin or even my brothers...it's a win/win.

The first few months I was here, I got a call from a guy who is about my age, but is my dad's friend. He was asking me for a last minute date to the movies that started in like 30 minutes...and I had to tell him no and listed the reasons: 1) it was 9:00 p.m. at night and I wasn't that spontaneous even if I had lived on the main land, 2) and even if I was, the next boat wasn't for another hour and by the time I got to the theater, the movie would be over...he didn't have another option (like, well maybe next week...) Oh well.

When my grandmother died a year and a half ago, I got a call from a friend of hers wanting me to attend a memorial service that he was putting on for her at the local Eagle's Club that was down the street from her house 2.5 hours away from me, and that's including ferry time...the service was starting 30 minutes from the time he called me...I was like, "You're kidding me right?" and even after I explained to him that by the time I got there, the service would be over, he was insistent that I should be there and that they'd wait...the call didn't end well.

It is one thing to live here if one's retired or living and working on the island...in some ways that's easier...but it really takes a hearty soul to live here and work off island. If it's a full time job, you're talking roughly being off island 5 days a week roughly 12 hours a day...it's draining. Totally doable, but draining. You figure out your priorities in a hurry.

Right now, the hardest thing for me to deal with and was the thing I worried most about when I first moved here, was the winter season and our road. The first time I came down our road, I was scared senseless...and everyone who comes down our road the first time is similiarly scared senseless...all I can say is think Snow White running through the woods with the trees grabbing at her...and then add a roller coaster element to that...

I was lucky the first winter, it was a mild winter...the second winter, Hub-E and I started going together and although we got snowed in one day during Christmas, that winter too was mild and then the next 9 we were in Germany. The first winter home I was snowed in 2 weeks, but my neighbors were here and I wasn't "alone." The second winter home was mild...so mild I felt cheated out of winter. This year I feel like it's been "time to pay the piper..." I just remind myself that no matter where one lives, there's always challenges...and trade offs...

I never thought I'd love living in a small town rural community. But as it turned out, it's been a near perfect fit...more so than any where else I've ever lived, save for Germany...I felt so at home in Germany (to my surprise) that the first year I wasn't sure I'd ever want to come back home...and that's even with a language barrier...but I eventually did get homesick for the island and most importantly my family and friends.

If I could change anything about the living conditions here on the island, I wish we had a less steep road...and I often look around the island to see if there is another place I'd rather live...haven't found it yet, because where I do live is actually perfect for us. Except for the road that is fine unless there is snow and then heavy freezing...the only other thing we can do other than punch in a new road, is to eventually get an all wheel drive vehicle...

If that is realistically my only complaint, we are so golden and blessed.

I hope this works! Here are some of my works within the last couple of years!

post-35667-135897615509_thumb.jpg

post-35667-135897615514_thumb.jpg

post-35667-135897615516_thumb.jpg

Ok, I think I'm going to have to save the image from my facebook because they are all on there, I uploaded from my phone and then start from scratch to upload them! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

You're welcome.

LeAnna, I think I'd like living where you are. I'm pretty much a small town girl at heart, although I've lived in cities most of my adult life.

Rosie came over and likes what I've done with the quilt. At an hour and a half per butterfly, which is what I think it takes, I've got 30 hours of appliquing to go before it's quilting time. Gives me time to plan out how I want to do that. I've got several ideas, just have to see how they pan out.

I've been crocheting on a hat so far today.

Here are more of my works in the last couple of years- I hope they are working for you all to see. Some I have looked at patterns to get the gist and then I do my own work from there.

post-35667-135897615519_thumb.jpg

post-35667-135897615521_thumb.jpg

post-35667-135897615524_thumb.jpg

post-35667-135897615526_thumb.jpg

post-35667-135897615842_thumb.jpg

Here are more of my works in the last couple of years- I hope they are working for you all to see. Some I have looked at patterns to get the gist and then I do my own work from there.

Beautiful! :clap:clap:clap

Now.......if I click on the email notification- does that mean I will get updates when people message? Sorry.............maybe there are instructions somewhere and I haven't browsed around enough to find them??

Lovinthis32, your work is wonderful.

I don't know about email notification. I just check the thread a few times a day, (unless I'm at work.....)

Marisa, hope Madeleine puts in an appearance soon.

Joanne, have fun in Boston.

January is the month that our church has a donation drive for the local pregnancy resource center. Over the past year I made 6 baby blankets, three sweater, hat and bootie sets, and quite a few loose hats and booties to donate. (I save them all up for January ) I may make some fabric shoes before the end of the month. I've seen a couple of cute patterns on-line recently.

Today I bought a whole bunch of baby clothes at Kohls, to donate to the center. I had doubles of some clothing items, since I picked them off the clearance racks, and the cashier told me I had picked up duplicates. I told her it didn't matter, since I was donating them. It was Kohls cash days, which means for every $50 you spend, you get a coupon worth $10 to spend next week. She gave me an extra one, and said it was because I was donating the items I bought. Next week I will use those coupons to buy some more stuff to donate.

Lovinthis32, your work is wonderful.

I don't know about email notification. I just check the thread a few times a day, (unless I'm at work.....)

Marisa, hope Madeleine puts in an appearance soon.

Joanne, have fun in Boston.

January is the month that our church has a donation drive for the local pregnancy resource center. Over the past year I made 6 baby blankets, three sweater, hat and bootie sets, and quite a few loose hats and booties to donate. (I save them all up for January ) I may make some fabric shoes before the end of the month. I've seen a couple of cute patterns on-line recently.

Today I bought a whole bunch of baby clothes at Kohls, to donate to the center. I had doubles of some clothing items, since I picked them off the clearance racks, and the cashier told me I had picked up duplicates. I told her it didn't matter, since I was donating them. It was Kohls cash days, which means for every $50 you spend, you get a coupon worth $10 to spend next week. She gave me an extra one, and said it was because I was donating the items I bought. Next week I will use those coupons to buy some more stuff to donate.

THANK YOU! How awesome of you to contribute to this center! I decided I would be gracious so just before Christmas I posted on my facebook that I was collecting clothes, blankets, coats, shoes, etc to take to Salt Lake city to donate to the homeless shelter! Well...........I had to call my friend at the local car dealership and ask him if I could borrow a BIG TRUCK or SUV because all the things that were donated were bigger than my car! I ended up with a truck bed full-as high as the cab and the back seat of the truck was full, just enough room to put my little girl and the front passenger seat was full! and....I'm collecting again! LOVE TO DONATE~! We never know, one day it could be us! I plan on crocheting all summer and making hats to take down next Fall----we get some pretty hairy winters.

Hi guys

I'm big time behind in posts ,so will do my best to catch up .

Joanne

I am really enjoying the BL show -- lots of very likeable people,and it's neat how they made 2 teams to compete -- it seems to make them try even harder to lose the weight .

That's a very pretty pattern, Judy. I may just have to try it.

Remember when I said I had trouble with working in circles...well, even though the DC is easy to find as compared to the SC, I still had to fudge the stitich count:lol Fortunately Homespun in very forgiving - esp using an N hook;)

I hope this works! Here are some of my works within the last couple of years!

Nice work! You love making kid stuff, I see...love the crocheted dress/outfit on the little girl.

And I think on one of the side bar thingies or your own profile page you have the option for email notitcation. Though it has been known to develop a glitch now and then. Most of us like Cindy, just pop in during the day to check.

Rosie came over and likes what I've done with the quilt. At an hour and a half per butterfly, which is what I think it takes, I've got 30 hours of appliquing to go before it's quilting time. Gives me time to plan out how I want to do that. I've got several ideas, just have to see how they pan out.

I've been crocheting on a hat so far today.

Wow....do you have patience!:eek

That was great! You, for thinking of doing the donation, and the cashier for giving you the extra Kohl's bucks!

THANK YOU! How awesome of you to contribute to this center! I decided I would be gracious so just before Christmas I posted on my facebook that I was collecting clothes, blankets, coats, shoes, etc to take to Salt Lake city to donate to the homeless shelter! Well...........I had to call my friend at the local car dealership and ask him if I could borrow a BIG TRUCK or SUV because all the things that were donated were bigger than my car! I ended up with a truck bed full-as high as the cab and the back seat of the truck was full, just enough room to put my little girl and the front passenger seat was full! and....I'm collecting again! LOVE TO DONATE~! We never know, one day it could be us! I plan on crocheting all summer and making hats to take down next Fall----we get some pretty hairy winters.

Wow! Be careful what you ask for!:eek Great job:yes

Good for you, Cindy. It was nice of the clerk to give you the extra coupon, too.

Way to Go, gal! I'm sure it was all much appreciated.

Judy ~ This quilt has developed a mind of its own and that's the number of butterflies that look right to me. I don't know if I'll ever do another one with applique on it, but it's actually been fun and rather soothing, even when working with the invisible thread. The flowers look soooo nice now that they are ironed. I've actually surprised myself with this one. I've named it "The Butterfly Garden". :manyheart

Heading downstairs now. I'll catch you all in the morning if not before. :manyheart

Hi all

Sorry been MIA ---

Cant catch up with everyone so I'll just say hello .

Welcome to the new member LovinThis-- could you give us your first name > We usually use them in here -makes things much easier and more homey .

You sure have made some beautiful items. Love the little girl's Easter dress ! Is that done in thread or yarn ?

Archived