Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Good morning all,

Dusty - Thanks for your concern. However, I'm not alone. I have a sister and a niece that lives with me. I'm reading, catching up on rest and doing paperwork from the store.

Marlene - Thanks! Yes I opened the store at 10 and closed it at 5. My DM called me around 4 and said the RM said that all stores were operating on normal hours. I told him the RM could come and run my store for the rest of the evening because I was going home. Last year, I was trapped on Georgia 400 for 3 hours in that storm. On my way home Sunday night, I almost got trapped and I hit 2 embankments when I tried to make turns. I did make it home safely but it was so frightening. I let my DM know that I would not be caught out in the dark on yesterday with all that ice. He asked me to try to make it until 6. Nooo! What part of I'm going to be at home at nightfall did you not understand? I did find out that he got into serious trouble because he let the managers close their stores on Monday and I didn't even open mine.

Linda - He's afraid of his boss and corporate. He's only been a DM for 1 year. We found out yesterday that he got into serious trouble for telling the managers safety first and to close up the stores.

Mary - I did have to work. My dad is doing okay. They were letting him slowly wake up yesterday. He was aware of my family talking to him and tried to answer back but he was still too drugged and he kept drifting in and out.

Cindy - I'm glad things worked out for you on the job.

Joanne - Thanks! The Channel 2 News team had a lawyer on the news to answer questions in regards to whether you could lose your job if you didn't report to work. The answer was yes. Therefore, I decided to at least try. I did make it safely around 10am. I closed shop at 5 in order to be home before dark despite the message my DM relayed from the RM.

Julie - Thanks for the well wishes.

Judianne - Thanks for your continued prayers.

Thank all of you for your support and prayers. I'm going to attempt to make it to the store again. Hopefully, this will clear up soon.

Have a great day guys. I'll check back in this evening. Love ya!:ghug

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good snowy morning to the House!

Beautiful winter wonderland outside! The trees are covered, and it really does look pretty. I'm so glad that I don't have to make the trek to Paradise today and that I can have my very own paradise right here at home. From what I can tell we have about 8 inches- I really should measure when I go outside. It does look like it stopped though and my street has already been plowed. Of course there is a pretty big mound of snow at the end of my driveway~

I had an email from my DD in Boston- they are having a blizzard and expecting up to 2 feet. She doesn't have to go to work today- her office decided to close today and she knew that before she left work yesterday. Hopefully the roads will be good up there by Friday when I trek to Boston.

Marisa- I have toyed with the idea of going by train- but since my DD and her BF are coming- it's really more cost effective (at least for them) to come up with me in my car. My DD is a little low on funds since the art gallery where she was working let her go when she told them she had accepted the internship with TV Media and Production. She doesn't start her internship until we get back from Boston- so she's been without a paycheck since the week before Christmas or so. Plus- I like to bring yarn and my laptop when I go up- plus I usually bring a dozen bagels (you can't get bagels in Boston like you can here). So hopefully the weather will be good.

Marlene- That's good that were able to start your PT and hopefully the insurance approval will come quickly. Glad that the brace is helping you to crochet.

Nothing much else to report- My company has a delayed opening today at 10- but I'm just going to work from home. Much easier that way and no stress of driving.

I'm going to go grab a cup of coffee and I'll see you later!

Morning Julie and Val!!!

Val- Drive safely and I really wonder sometimes about "corporate" America! Since when did people's safety take a back seat to the almighty dollar? Please be careful. Here in NJ, employment is "at will", meaning that they can terminate you for any reason. That RM should have had to drive in the ice to open your store and see how he/she would have liked it! Glad to hear that your Dad is doing ok. I'm keeping him in my prayers.

Julie- What did you think of Biggest Loser? I'm enjoying it this season and can't wait to hear who the unknown trainers are. I really do still like Bob and wouldn't mind having a personal training session with him sometime! LOL

Oh, forgot to mention, I made a hat last night with wool-ease thick and quick- a pattern from the Lion Brand site- it worked up really fast and figured a nice warm hat was perfect for all this snowy cold weather!

Good morning everyone. We got quite a bit of snow last night, but I don;t think it is enough for the schools to close. I have the day off, so I am planning to stay at home.

We have a potluck dinner at church tonight, so I have to think of something to bring. I have left-over chicken that I want to use. I'm not crazy about cooking, so coming up with good ideas is hard for me.

Good morning, peeps....ah...the sound of snowblowers revving up outside right now. Music to my ears:lol

Marlene...insurance companies are a pain...keep after them so it doens't get lost in the shuffle!

Good morning everyone. We got quite a bit of snow last night, but I don;t think it is enough for the schools to close. I have the day off, so I am planning to stay at home.

We have a potluck dinner at church tonight, so I have to think of something to bring. I have left-over chicken that I want to use. I'm not crazy about cooking, so coming up with good ideas is hard for me.

Have you tried googling for recipes using leftover chicken?

Off to get dressed and in a bit it'll be long enough after Sparkie ate for me to take him out back for fun in the snow:D

BBL

Just checking in-

DH is out with the snowblower ( I secretly think he likes his toy). My next door neighbor did the sidewalk in front of his house and ours with his toy!:yay I shoveled the steps and now I'm back in and going to log back into work.

Have fun in the snow with Sparkie Judy!

good morning ladies,

on my phone at work so sorry for typos or text talk :(

my sixers lost last night, but they were robbed :( the refs made some really bad calls :angry they must've had ttheir money on the pacers :lol

the snow was just starting on our way in to the gm and after we cleaned about an inch and a half off the car. i let some guys use my battery pack jumper cables bc they left their parking lights on. we saw it on our way in and gave them the license plate #, but we never heard them make an announcement :(

we openned on time this morning and the roads weren't bad....much better getting to work this morning than home from the game last night. but it sure is slow, hence me checking in while i'm here. i think we've only had 2 patients so far :think and the bad news...our 2nd receptionists dh passed away last night :( he was ill, and just went to a hospice facility yesterday. she could use some prayers, he leaves behind a few children and they were already caring for her sisters children too.

i worked on a scarf at the game that i started last month, but have worked on ONLY at the game here and there. it's for one of the waitresses there :)

i woke up with my headache again :( i had the other doc adjust me, but it's still there. i think i might take some motrin today :think

well, i guess thats it for now. i hear the door openned a couple times, so let me go see what's going on up there.

Have you tried googling for recipes using leftover chicken?

yes, I did find a few that I can make using ingredients I have in the house. I jut went grocery shopping yesterday, so I'd rather not go back to the store today.

i just realized i forgot to respond to u ladies.....

linda.thank u soo much for my card and snowflake. cant wait to see pics of ur oriental quilt and hat :)

twinkle. good luck with the quilt ghan, im sure it'll be gorgeous!

judy. i'm sure you and sparkie had fun out in the snow this morning :yes

mary. hope all is going well :)

cj. nice to see u again. glad u had a great holiday break, and now u have to get back into the swing of things ;)

cindy. u can make a chicken casserole. chunk it up, add some cream of chicken soup, some carrots, and some seasonings :think

joanne. :yay for working from home...i only wish. have a safe trip this weekend. and u CANT find bagels ANYWHERE like near nyc :yes

tab. wow, thats alot of yarn that dh got u :clap i guess u'll just get to make some other things with the extra. :yay for getting ur homework caught up.

marlene. glad u went to the pt place and were able to crochet with the brace. sorry its worse than originally thought though :hug

julie. we only got a bit of snow, a few inches. u'll probably get more there. stay safe and warm.

val. good for u standing up for yourself and to the guys who sit on their couches anyway so dont care about the rest of you :(:h5

We had a blast in the snow! I tossed Sparkie's big orange (hollow) ball and he had to play search dog to find it under the snow. He took a nice nap when he came in:lol

Hi, CJ. That suggestion of the baby blanket being a light cover is a good one. I was thinking for the car seat...but will likely make another 2 rounds of saltines so it doens't look skimpy.

Back to my hook!

We had a blast in the snow! I tossed Sparkie's big orange (hollow) ball and he had to play search dog to find it under the snow. He took a nice nap when he came in:lol

Hi, CJ. That suggestion of the baby blanket being a light cover is a good one. I was thinking for the car seat...but will likely make another 2 rounds of saltines so it doens't look skimpy.

Back to my hook!

I'll bet he did...what a good doggie!!!! We had a brief but intense snow fall last night while I was at Chorale practice. In fact I was really annoyed because I really didn't want to go, but really had to because it was the first night of this term. Anyway, so all through the early evening while listening to the news, the weather guys were predicting this intense storm that wasn't happening yet...well right when we were getting ready to go, it started snowing, but just lightly...so I had Hub-E drive me to practice...well we get through half the practice and someone from the parks department came in and announced that everything is closing at 8:30 (30 minutes later) because there's now an inch of snow and the roads are freezing. Great...because it would take Hub-E 20 minutes to get to me and I couldn't call him just yet. Well it all worked out. The president of the Chorale who had to drive the director to the ferry dock (poor guy commutes to us from North Seattle) on the north end, agreed to drop me off at the top of my road and by the time we left the school, I was able to call Hub-E and tell him to just meet me at the top of our road, which he did. I'm telling you, we did 20 mph from the school to our road...except for in town, the average speed limit on the Vashon Hwy is 40 to 50...so it was a slow, but careful ride. It stopped snowing around 2:00 a.m. We have about 2 inches of snow, but it started raining around 5:00 a.m. so now things are melting and turning slushy, but not fast enough. Schools in the greater Puget Sound area are either delayed 1 to 2 hours (Vashon schools, 2 hours) or closed. Hub-E is suppose to go to the USO today, and he's fired off an email to that director to see if the USO is even open today. Personally I don't want him going anywhere, but we'll see.

Working on more socks...

Good morning! The sun is just coming up. We have a dusting of snow, but it is not anything compared to that which you ladies in the east are facing. It does sound as though you are all prepared -- stocking up on staples, planning to work from home, dressing in warm layers, etc. -- so stay safe :ghug

I finished another thread snowflake, a round on my sweater's edging, wove the ends into my bread basket, and I started a lapghan for my college roommate's father (I hung out at their house a lot, and the gentleman is a true sweetheart. His 65th birthday is coming up, and I want to send a gift, as I am not going to be able to make it down to Indiana for his surprise party.). My note here is going to be short, so that I can go and crochet :hook

Joanne ~ Way to go on the weight loss :clap, and the spiffed-up hair-do. You must feel like a million bucks ;) I hope your day of working at home goes smoothly. I loved your comment about having your own little, white paradise there at home in the Winter Wonderland. I will worry about you driving up to Boston this weekend, but, at least you will have DD and her DBF to travel with you.

Judy ~ Did you and Sparkie get out to play in the snowballs, yet? :dog I shoveled off the sidewalk and part of the deck, as the girls were getting settled into the car this morning, but that was the extent of my outdoor exercise.

CJ ~ :hi Sounds as though you had a great holiday! I am glad you were able to get together with so many of your relatives. What is your current project? :crocheting

Dusti~It is called pink carnation and it is Lion Brand.....It is a pastel pink with a little white in it, but you cannot see the white unless you are crocheting with it.

Thank you for the yarn description. It sounds very pretty, and perfect. I am going to head over to the Lion Brand website, shortly, and check it out. I think I may need some :wink Wow, your hubby does not fool around when he goes shopping, does he!?! Ten skeins of yarn = very nice!! It is good to hear that some of your energy is returning. Take those naps, if your schedule allows, because you will feel better with some down-time to let your brain rest.

Hi Marlene ~ Setting up your PT plan sounds as though it would wear me out, but I hope the regimen that gets established helps you a ton. It is encouraging to hear that you are able to crochet and play cards with frequent breaks and massages. Be careful not to over-do it :hug

Julie ~ :2snowIs your snowfall supposed to continue until the weekend? Definitely, 'White Christmas' weather when I look out my window, too :yes

Dusty - Thanks for your concern. However, I'm not alone. I have a sister and a niece that lives with me. I'm reading, catching up on rest and doing paperwork from the store.

Oh, very good. You were smart to insist on being home before dark fell, especially in such dice-y driving conditions. Continue to stay safe and stand your ground for yourself and your employees. I am sure your customers were happy to have the store open, but...safety is important, too. I hope your dad continues to recover slowly and smoothly.

Happy crocheting, All :crocheting

LeAnna, I'll take afoot of snow over an inch of ice and slush any day! Glad you got home okay:hug

...and Sparkie is still tired from all the leaping around he did this AM. We'll be going back in the snow later this afternoon:D

LeAnna, I'll take afoot of snow over an inch of ice and slush any day! Glad you got home okay:hug

...and Sparkie is still tired from all the leaping around he did this AM. We'll be going back in the snow later this afternoon:D

Hub-E's hiking up our road where he parked Picard (the PT Cruiser) once he gets up there, if he thinks the highway looks good, he'll make his way to the South ferry dock towards Tacoma and head over to the USO. Good thoughts for him okay? He'll call me as he makes his way though and let me know how things are. I'm gonna try not to worry too much..

Haven't seen BB this morning...poor guy...he's so weird when the weather's weird. Instead of coming inside and keeping warm like Serenghetti is doing by the wood burning stove right now. When the weather gets weird, he feels like he needs to be on patrol. On guard and all that...When things are calm, that's when he wants to come in the house, hang out, get rubbies, and all.

We are buried here in almost 2 feet of snow - but I must say it is beautiful to look at while inside drinking coffee and crocheting the day away!

I think when hubby gets home we might even play in it a bit! LOL!

Morning everybody! Or, Afternoon...;)

CJ ~ Sounds as though you had a great holiday! I am glad you were able to get together with so many of your relatives. What is your current project?

:hi Dusti! Well, I have about 3 current projects right now. :P But my main one is a crocheted doll.

Judy, what kind of dog is Sparkie?

Marisa! :hi Good to see you again!! :hug

Well, schools all done for today! Yay! It went pretty quick this morning.

I'd better go, but I'll be back!

joanne. :yay for working from home...i only wish. have a safe trip this weekend. and u CANT find bagels ANYWHERE like near nyc :yes

The bagel place I go to was opened about 5 years ago- They are from Brooklyn- they have a shop in Brooklyn and opened one here where I live- The Bagels are AMAZING!!!! There is Nothing , I mean nothing as good as NY Bagels!:yes

Hope your headache goes away- Yes, take the Motrin!!!

I heard that CT and MA were going to get hit with about 2 feet of snow. My brother is in Fairfield and said he is so glad his son his home (they take him back to BC on Saturday) so he can do the shoveling.

Glad you had fun in the snow Judy!

LeAnna- Good positive thoughts for Hub-E as he makes his trek to the UFO

Dusti- have a fun day crocheting! I'll be glad when I'm done working and then I can pick up a hook too!

I got logged off work when I went to make lunch so figured I'd check in here real quick.

I'll be back later

Stay safe, warm and dry everyone!

BB came in for about 30 minutes...poor guy...he was very talkative...he ate a little, but was really too distracted. Some snow fell off one of the branches onto the deck and he freaked out, pried open the french door and jumped out and at attention like, "Who goes there????" He did come back in for a bit and get rubbies from me, snacked a little, and then felt he had to go back outside and be on duty. Hub-E made it up the road and called me to tell me that the highway looked good so he's on his way to the USO. He told me that when he got past one off shoot road from our road, he heard a meow that sounded like BB...so he answered back and I think BB popped out for a second and Hub-E and him had a conversation. This was shortly before BB showed up at the french door.

'Ghetti wasn't thrilled that BB was in the house, they have issues...but we had a good little visit. Now 'Ghetti is back warming herself by the fire...all is right in our world at this moment.

Good afternoon, all. I've been sewing on the oriental quilt this morning and working on another hat. This time I'm going to follow the directions. I think. :devil John is out chopping and shoveling ice and snow off our driveway. They finally made it through our subdivision with a plow, but it's still really icey. I'm sure John will be going in to work tomorrow. I'm a little surprised he didn't try it today, but he might well have slid off the road just getting out of the driveway with all the ice on it because it's so steep.

Hope everyone with bad weather stays safe. :manyheart

Linda, I hope John takes it slow with all that ice-clearing!

We had some HS kids come by after lunch and we paid them to shovel - gladly!...they brushed off the cars, Phil moved them then and they cleared the driveway and walk,:)

LeAnna, I'm glad BB is good and HubE got to go do his thing!

Judy, what kind of dog is Sparkie?

He's a very large and very spoiled German Shepherd. In my avatar he's the dark one. Susie, the other GSD, passed away in March:(

We just had our second play session and he ran and leaped after his ball...a crazy dog! He really dragged his feet coming in,

Linda, I hope John takes it slow with all that ice-clearing!

We had some HS kids come by after lunch and we paid them to shovel - gladly!...they brushed off the cars, Phil moved them then and they cleared the driveway and walk,:)

LeAnna, I'm glad BB is good and HubE got to go do his thing!

He's a very large and very spoiled German Shepherd. In my avatar he's the dark one. Susie, the other GSD, passed away in March:(

We just had our second play session and he ran and leaped after his ball...a crazy dog! He really dragged his feet coming in,

Lucky you to have kids come and shovel- I thought that would never happen. I would have gladly paid too!!!

I hope I am ok posting this!!! So----I love my big slippers- i've made them taller so I can slouch them if I would like! I made them look like a sock (used 2 strands of yarn together) so they are thick and I bought coordinating flip flops when they were on sale end of season. Cut off the straps---leave the plugs though and run super glue around them to seal them up! Then......VIOLA----you have slippers that aren't slick on your tile or wood floors and if you want to run to the store in them you can do that also! I haven't figured out how to get a picture over here from my facebook just yet! I love them though!

Archived