Comfort-ghans Irwin's Family -UPDATE pg 17 post #194

MamaHooks

It turned out very nice, thanx for posting a pic...and don't stop posting, life happens...and it was happening to you...if anything needs to be said about it taking so long, I think it will be better that the family gets it now...months after Steve's passing. This way they know they are STILL being thought of. In that note...I was looking to see who was going to be on Letterman/Leno this week(Mother called to tell me Russell Crowe was on tonight, but I can't find it :( ) and Terri and Bindi showed up for Wednesday night on Letterman, I have the DVR set.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cheer Took me a while to see the cat!!!

Typical cat pose really.

The afghan looks fabulous, you did a great job.

Just remember, if it took longer to get finished and send, it will last the family longer.

If anyone grizzles about how long it took, tell them to talk to me.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I was reading through this thread, and I can't see where there was ever an official list posted of who contributed to this effort. I thought that would be nice to have, just for our records here.

If you contributed squares to this effort, will you please let me know how many you sent? Then I'll update this post with a list of participants.

Also, if you contributed money towards postage costs, could you let me know what you sent? Shipping to Australia is not cheap, and depending on how much it ends up costing Tami to ship this, we may want to consider having people chip in and send her some more money.

I just checked the USPS website. To ship a 5 (or 10) package to Australia, it will cost $22.75 ($29.60) to send it Economy (Surface) Parcel Post, for delivery in 4-6 weeks. It will cost $36.90 ($59.30) to send it Airmail Parcel Post for delivery in 4-10 days, or $41.30 ($63.70) to send it Global Express Mail with delivery in 3-5 days. I believe Global Express Mail may offer tracking capabilities.

Members Who Submitted Squares

Angelfire: 6

Coolhockeymom: 6

Mythunderbird: 2

Seneca and Scooch: 2

CrochetinClara: 2

Daisy: 6

Chiscrochetcrazy: 1

rsisland: 1

jchllm: 2

MamaHooks: 1

JennyCrochets: 2

Total Submitted: 31

Total Used in First 2 Afghans: 21

Missing Squares: 10

(Yes, I've noted an apparent discrepancy in this number and the photo of the finished afghan. Please keep any comments on that off this thread and send them to me via PM.)

Contributions Submitted

So far, I've been told that a total of $17 was submitted with squares.

Hopefully, I'll hear from others throughout the day that they submitted a donation for shipping, too. If not, then we most definitely need to get a collection going for additional funds.

I have to go out for a few hours for a routine medical exam. I am closing this thread while I am gone, just so nothing unpleasant gets posted while I'm out. I'll reopen it just as soon as I return.

If you have anything you need to say while the thread is closed, please send it to me via PM.

I have some news from Tami that I would like to share with everyone. From my post above, you can see that 29 squares were sent to Tami, yet the comfortghan she completed used only 12 squares, which means 17 squares were unaccounted for. Tami was out of town last week and was unable to give me specific information about the remaining squares.

She is now back home and has found 9 squares, but 8 are still unaccounted for. She told me she thinks they may have been thrown out during the time of her move last October.

Tami is taking the 9 squares she has, creating 3 squares of her own, and she's putting them together into a 2nd comfortghan for the Irwin family.

At this point, I do not know whose squares are missing. Tami is going to take pictures of the second finished comfortghan tomorrow night and post them to this thread. At that time, everyone should be able to determine whether their squares are among the missing.

Additionally, several of you sent cards with your squares, but Tami currently does not know where they are. She will be looking for them tonight.

Angelfire is supposed to pick up the two completed afghans and the $17 for shipping from Tami on Monday (two days from now), as well as any cards that Tami is able to find.

So, as a group, we need to decide how we want to proceed from here.

Based on the original number of 29 squares submitted, we had enough squares for 1 3x4 comfortghan for Terri and 1 2x3 comfortghan for each of the children. But now it looks like we're going to have 2 3x4 comfortghans.

Do we want to go ahead and ship the two comfortghans or do we want to spend another couple of weeks and get a third comfortghan put together so Terri and the children will each have their own comfortghan?

My goal is to make sure that everyone who submitted a square for this project has something that they made sent to the family, if that is still what they want. So I guess I need to know two different things:

1. Should we send only the 2 comfortghans we have now or try to get a third one together as quickly as possible?

2. If we decide we want to make a third afghan, would it be feasible to say that anyone who wants to submit a square can, but it must be postmarked by this Thursday? We could say we'll take as many squares as people want to submit. If we get more than 12 squares, then we'll assemble all the others into comfortghans as well, but the extras would be given to others requesting them. We would include in our card to the family that the response was so great that we were able to make ____ extra comfortghans, and they were being donated to others who needed them in Steve's memory? (In our card to the family, we'll list every member who participated in the project, no matter which comfortghan their square ultimately ends up in.)

Okay, let me know your thoughts on these two issues. If we end up deciding to put together a third comfortghan, then we'll work on seeing who can put it together. (I don't know if angelfire would be able to on that commitment. Since everything else will be in her possession, that would be the quickest thing to do, but it may not be what ultimately works out.)

Thanks, and let's do our best to move on in a positive direction now that we have a better idea of exactly where this situation stands.

So far the decision is 100% unanimous to make another comfortghan, but we still have many others to add their opinions. Hopefully, by Monday morning, we'll know if that's what most people want to do, and if so, I'll have been able to line up the person who will gather the squares and assemble the afghan post-haste. We do NOT want to get in another situation where this gets delayed at all.

And by Monday we should be able to figure out color scheme as well. If all plans were firmly in place Monday morning, would requiring squares be mailed by Thursday give people enough time to make a square and get it in the mail?

amy, i think we should also make a 3rd. and will make another square if need be, the children should each have one as well as terri. i can make at least one more, am home now with hubby for a week at least due to his back injury so i will be more than happy to crochet for others. also let me know the color scheme, and if any more money is needed for shipping i can send a small check too. i hope tami can find more squares and cards, but if not we understand. moving always eats something and it never gets found. thanks for checking into this for us and helping all of us including tami to get it out.:hug:hug:hug

I vote YES on the 3rd comfortghan too. I would also be willing to make another square to send, but I would need to know who to send it to??

Daisy

I vote YES on the 3rd comfortghan too. I would also be willing to make another square to send, but I would need to know who to send it to??

Daisy

oh yea me too :lol:lol:lol:lol and what colors lol

I have been reading this thread from the begining, but was unable to send a square the first round. I would like to send a square for a third one. Just tell us what color. I will also send a card and some money for the shipping. I have free time so I can get one out by Thursday.

Thankyou guys for being so understanding on this subject.. I feel so silly for losing them all i should of boxed them all together and kept better track of everything... I need to reorganize my life anyone wanna help? LOL

Amy and Tami, if it is any help to you both, you can send the incomplete squares that Tami has and any others that come in to me and I will happily make the other ghans up. Let me know what you think and I will be happy to accomodate.

PS Bindi likes the colour yellow in pastel shades

Are we limited to using only the brown and camo colors? I happen to have a rust orange and golden tan square just laying around without a home, and would be pleased to contribute it to this cause.

Please let me know where to send my new squares. If I remember correctly, we were making 12 inch squares for this, right? Pastel Yellow for Bindi and ? for little Bob.

I am assuming that the second comfortghan that Tami is putting together is for Little Bob so we need to get squares together for Bindi. If there are extra squares they will be put towards another cause here at Crochetville and we would let the Irwin family know about these too. So far I hope that we get enough squares to complete both that aren't completed yet. I have offered to Amy to put together Bindi's if squares are sent to me.

Ok let me see if I got this right We are sending pale yellow 12" squares to Angelfire for Bindis ghan also we can send cards & cash for shipping to her too. Oh & we need to get these mailed by this Thursday.

Since it has been four months since Steve Irwin's death, I would recommend not sending the afghans to the family in "sympathy". Instead, perhaps they can be called "we love the fact that you're carrying on Steve's legacy".

Also, since it's now summer in Australia, I'd also suggest taking our time and arranging for delivery when the Australian evenings start cooling down.

What do you think?

I like the idea of sending pale yellow for Bindi. She is always wearing that color from her clothing line when I see her on tv.

p.s. for those who are interested.....The last show that Steve taped is airing tonight on Discovery and Animal planet simultaneously. Also, there is a special on afterwards about his legacy. :manyheart

Archived