Comfort-ghans Irwin's Family -UPDATE pg 17 post #194

MamaHooks

I am still trying to make final arrangements with Tami and angelfire about the completed afghans. Hopefully, we will end up with 2 completed 3x4 aghans: one for Terri, one for Bob. I'll let you know later if we end up needing extra squares for Bob's afghan.

But, I think for now, we can go ahead and proceed with plans to make a comfortghan for Bindi in shades of pastel yellow. 12" squares. These can be sent to angelfire, along with any cards or money towards postage you might want to contribute.

I am going to be highly involved in seeing this project through to completion now. I want to make sure we stay organized and we don't have another 3-month delay. Knowing angelfire, I'm sure that will NOT happen! I also want to make sure we have good records of what has been sent, and what has been received.

If you want to contribute something toward this effort, please get it postmarked to angelfire by this Thursday. If you need her mailing address, please PM her or me for it.

And to help set people's minds at ease, I believe with 100% certainty we can trust angelfire to get this project completed in a super-timely manner. She was part of my ornament exchange this past November and committed to sending 15 ornaments to various partners. She was able to do that with absolutely no problems! She completed the requirements of that swap with flying colors. For anyone who can make and send 15 ornaments during that busy time of year will certainly be able to get an afghan put together quickly for us. :)

Even though it's the warm time of year over in Australia right now, personally, I'd like to go ahead and send the afghans on over. Samio told the children about them quite some time ago, and they've been eagerly anticipating them. I really don't want them to wait any longer than they have to. If it weren't for the children already knowing about them, delaying could be a good thing. But since the children do know, I want to go ahead and get these to them. I'm open to hearing the opinions of the rest of the group on this, though.

If you expect to send a square (or more) or money by Thursday, will you please PM and let me know how many squares and/or how much money you expect to send? I just want to get a good feel of how much we should expect. If things end up changing, and you won't be able to send anything after all, that's all right, too. Just let me know and I'll mark your name off the list of things to expect.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread as positive as possible as we move forward toward getting these comfortghans to the Irwin family!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be an honor to do whatever the group decides. I am glad that we are doing such a great activity as a group and pleased to be a part of it,

I made a square for the first go-round, only to learn I was using the wrong colors.

I would very much like to participate in the 'ghans for the children and/or increase the size of the first afghan. Angelfire, I won't PM you until I've actually fulfilled my promise and have a completed 12-inch square or two. Thanks for taking this project on!

Sometimes being stuck in the house because of snow is a good thing. :think I was able to concentrate on and complete a 12-inch square for Bindy Irwin's afghan. It's the lacy sun square posted on CPC. Here's a picture, though the colors are fairly off from what they really are. The center is bright orange, the next rows around are variegated pale yellow/white/pale orange and the outside rows are pale yellow.

This is the first square I've ever made for "charity." I hope Bindi Irwin likes it!

000_0467.jpg

Hi everyone, I will try and make a couple squares too. I feel horrible right now I am :sick with a massive :headache. But if I can I will help by making a couple squares. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I wish all of you the best on making the other two comfort-ghans. :manyheart

p.s. Oh, also I updated the header and the first post.

I have a pale yellow 12" square, I would LOVE to donate it to Bindi's ghan, I have seen her on TV, Larry King, and she is a DOLL, so mature for her age. I PM'd you Amy, I will also include $5.00 to go toward shipping costs, or ANYTHING Angelfire needs to get this done.

Thank you for giving me the oppertunity to chip in here :manyheart

Thanks ladies for everyone's help and contributions. I am fortunate enough to travel to Queensland at least once a month or at least every 6 weeks. Everytime I do go up, I try and spend a day with the kids and Terri. Not quite sure when my next trip will be, but I will try and arrange it for when they are back in Australia and have completed the "G'day USA" tour. I will explain to the kids that their surprise is coming, but there have been more people wanting to help. That way things should go smoothly

I'm still not sure which day angelfire will be picking up everything personally from Tami, but I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Here is the information on who has let me know they intend to send squares and money. If your name is on this list and you end up not being able to get anything shipped by Thursday, don't feel bad. Just let me know so I can update the list accordingly. Bold text below means that angelfire has received the squares/money.

Name, Number of squares, Amount toward shipping

Tx CrochetLover: 1 square, $10

Coolhockeymom: 2 squares

Daisy: 2 squares, $5

Brina: 1 square

ankey: 1 square

darncat: 2 squares, $10

birdlady1: 2 squares, $5

Chiscrochetcrazy: 1 square $5

JoAnDillon: 1 square, $5

KellyA: 1 square, $5

rsisland: 1 square, $5

jchllm: 1 square

angelfire: 1 square

Tiga: 3 squares have been mailed

Total $ Received according to angelfire: $50, $17 outstanding (originally sent to TamiCrochets)

Total squares received: 17, waiting for 3 to arrive

If we get more than 12 squares, that's perfectly all right. We'll put together Bindi's afghan, and if we have enough to make others, we'll do that. If not, we'll donate them to another comfortghan project. In either case, we'll let the Irwin family know that other squares/comfortghans were created in Steve's memory.

So if your name is not on the list above and you want to send something in, please do! Just send me a PM letting me know what you think you'll be able to send so I can add it to the list.

Then as angelfire receives the items on the list, I'll post that she has received it. This way we'll all know exactly what we have.

Thanks, everyone!

Angelfire and AmyS- My square and donation sent today at 1:00 by priority mail. So, you should should be seeing it along about Thursday!

Thanks, Angelfire, for collecting and assembling the

project!

Just as a side note, I watched the Ocean Deadliest program last night on Animal Planet and the tribute to Steve Irwin was very well done.

I got mine out in the mail about an hour ago, I went first class because the maillady at the post office said it would get there same time as if I did priority, so how nice of her to save me a couple of bucks?

I also want to thank Samio for being able to deliver this when it is all done:manyheart :hug

Bobs blanket is Just about finnished and ready to be washed ill take photos of it i'm hoping before 5 - Angelfire told me she isn't planning on traveling south till wednesday but ill have it ready for her by tomorrow . Let me tell you guys I washed terri's blanket and you would never guess it was made of worsted weight it is so soft I used 3 fabric softner sheets yup that did the trick to all those who were accusing us of doing this blanket "cheaply"

Tami, I am now 30 minutes drive from you..so I can pick these up at anytime, any place..just need directions. I am looking forward to helping in this effort and meeting up. Thank you for getting everything together and finishing the second comfortghan.

I am looking forward to receiving all the squares and getting Bindi's together, a comfortghan for each family member is great. Even my granddaughter is excited about making a square for Bindi. I will post a picture as soon as the squares arrive and when I have completed it before I send it out.

We have a great group of members to get this together so quickly.

Just wanted to give everyone an update: Angelfire has picked up the two comfortghans. Thanks very much for picking these up, and for receiving all the new squares and assembling the third comfortghan for Bindi!

Hopefully, it won't be much longer now before all 3 comfortghans head across the sea!

Just wanted to give everyone an update: Angelfire has picked up the two comfortghans. Thanks very much for picking these up, and for receiving all the new squares and assembling the third comfortghan for Bindi!

Hopefully, it won't be much longer now before all 3 comfortghans head across the sea!

:woo:jumpyay:party Yippee! My two squares will be sent via priority mail on Thursday. Thanks to everyone who participated and stayed with this wonderful project. :ghug

Angelfire

I sent out the square this evening, and after putting it in the postbox I noticed I missed the last pick up. :eek

You should have the square soon (I am in the same state as you - in the Milwaukee area so I am hoping you will have it by Friday)

Also included $$ for postage

Thank-you, thank-you for this :c9

I just returned after picking up the comfortghans...Thank you Tami for giving me directions. Here is a picture of the second comfortghan..my DGD was holding it up for me. I will get better picture tomorrow in the daylight...but I wanted everyone to get a peak at it, sorry

comfortghan002.jpg

Thank you so much, angelfire! Kudos to you!

Does anybody recognize their square(s)? Inquiring minds want to know who is responsible for the beautiful squares! :lol

Bonnie, I have two squares on the way to you today (Wednesday, January 24th) via priority mail. Hopefully you'll have them by Saturday (or Monday at the latest). I also enclosed $5 to defray some of the costs you'll entail for mailing the heavy box to Oz.:mailbox :kangaroo

Archived