Snowflake Afghan CAL

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I just started the snowflake afghan yesterday, I have 5 snowflakes done so far. I think it will be quicker to make all the snowflakes first and then go back and fill in with the background.

I'm using caron one pound for the snowflakes and the background. The background is light blue (my sister likes softer, lighter colors) and the snowflakes are white.

The pattern (link in first post on the thread) calls for 32 oz for the dark(background) and 28 oz for the white/light (snowflake).

HTH.

Still haven't finished mine, though am going steady, just not fast, on it. lol

I started this afghan 2 years ago when the thread started. Made a couple of motifs and then put it up for other things. I am not sure if I will ever pull it out again or not. Might start over. Don't remember what size hook I used. Will have to dig it all out after the first of the year I think!!!

I started this afghan 2 years ago when the thread started.

Me too...(although I made about 30 motifs), but I think I wrote down what hook I used and have been considering finishing it this fall. It would be nice to sue that tote for something else!

Mine is in a plastic bin in the basement. I think I have all the yarn together but I am not sure. It is a really pretty afghan and I really liked the color it got. It was Red Heart Brick Red or soemthing like that. I have used the white for other things so, when I pick it up again I will need to get more white.

Right now I am making an Ohio State afghan and then I have a Steelers ghan that I want to make hubby for Christmas. Then, maybe, just maybe, this will get in my UFO's and get done.

Hi all!

I just found this thread, and have been thinking of starting the afghan. For those of you who have started it, how do you think it would work with chunky yarn? I have a ton of white Softee Chunky...I'm thinking I would use a 6 or 6.5 hook, and I probably wouldn't have to make as many as if I were using ww. What do you think?

Thanks. I started it and it seems a little stiff. I think the hook I'm using is too small but I've already made 10 motifs. So I'll just wash it with some fabric softener and hopefully it will soften up a bit.

k so, Ive seen this online and I have been thinking and trolling over patterns for an afghan. I want one for my son (due in Dec) and I thought this would be cute...sized down baby style. Curious if anyone has any ideas how many motifs I would need. I probably could figure it out on my own but my pregnant mind its kinda mush these days with a lot of drama/stress at work and making many many baby hats/washcloths for shower gifts/donations to my moms Neonatal unit at her work.

I'm new here and I was delighted to see this afghan was being done in a CAL. I started it a few months ago but need some incentive to get it done by December. I am using soft white with a dark blue border and I have 23 squares done. It is a lovely pattern.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been crocheting a little over a month...found this site...and then this BEAUTIFUL afghan! I love snow and so I must crochet this...but have to admit...learning how to read patterns can be intimidating to say the least. A friend of mine sat with me last night and helped me with the first snowflake...now it makes so much sense...went home and crocheted the second one! I've knitted for about 2 years now and LOVE it...and now I'm enjoying Crochet...can't wait to learn more...how do my snowflakes look? I have lots to learn for sure...I'm sure I'll have lots of practice making this afghan...LOL! The snowflake with the orange marker was my first one. I'm going to weave in the ends as I go, so I don't have a bazillion ends to weave in at the end!

snowflakes.jpg

Merry:):clap

I have already made one and working on other. 1st one is dark blue and white made it a couple yrs ago time flys you know. 2st one I started las t winter it is burgany and off white. Want to finish it before christmas for the back of my sofa like I dont have other bankets to put there. Plus I have a blanket on the back of each chair. Have fun crocheting

:cheer:clap:yay I just started this ghan and didn't realize there was a CAL for it :clap:yay I have 2 hexagons done and I think 4 snowflakes. I think I am going to get my snowflakes done and then go back and do the dark color.

After I get some more hexagons done I will post some pics. Keep up the good work and I will post again soon.

I have 2 snowflakes done...and guess what? I started another crochet project! LOL! I've only been crocheting a little over a month...made 4 cupcake purses, 2 snowflakes for my afghan, and now I have started a Spiderman Afghan for my grandson! :eekI'm having so much fun...I'm enjoying it as much as when I learned to knit 2 years ago! :yesThere are soooo many things I want to crochet...I need a snow day! :yay LOL!

Happy Crocheting!

Merry :)

Archived