Snowflake Afghan CAL

It's done!! :cheer Just tucked in the last end for my Snowflake Afghan.... I'm looking forward to using it on the chilly nights we are having in Maryland.

Below are a few photos - the colors didn't come out well. The actual colors are purple, dark teal and dark pink. This gives you the idea.

Can't wait to see your Snowflake Afghans!!!

Hope your hooks are flying, Deborah

th_IMG_0416t.jpg

th_IMG_0417.jpg

th_IMG_0420.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOOOOOOOOOOOO AHHHHHHHHHHHH gonna look great on the back of my couch next Christmas time! I don thee the winter afghan! now to find 3 more afghans for the other three seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I also posted this in the help forum, but it is probably more appropriate here.

I am having trouble with the Rnd 7 and 8.

Rnd 7 states "Ch 3 (first dc), *(dc, ch3, dc) in ch 1 sp, dc in each of next 13 sts, repeat from * 4 times; (dc, ch 3, dc) in last ch 1 sp, dc in each of next 12 sts, sl st in top of ch-3.

Then Rnd 8 says, " Ch 1, sc in first st, sc in next st, * 3 sc in ch 3 sp, sc in each of next 15 sts, repeat from *4 times: 3 sc in last ch-3 sp, sc in each of next 13 sts, sl st in bec sc.

Here is my issue, the first ch 3 (first dc) *dc, ch3, dc) hole is MUCH bigger than the other ch 3 holes that I make in round 7. What I did is ch 3, ch 3 more and then dc in the ch 1 sp. So, essentially 6 sc and a dc. Is that right??????? Could it be that my chain 6 is just too loose?

Then I get confused with the Rnd 8 ch 1, sc in first st, sc in next st and then 3 sc in ch 3 sp, but when I start the c1 and sc in first st, I am already on top of the ch 3 space. And it seems to make the round 7 space bigger.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it! This is my first afghan and I am VERY excited!:yay

I also posted this in the help forum, but it is probably more appropriate here.

I am having trouble with the Rnd 7 and 8.

Here is my issue, the first ch 3 (first dc) *dc, ch3, dc) hole is MUCH bigger than the other ch 3 holes that I make in round 7. What I did is ch 3, ch 3 more and then dc in the ch 1 sp. So, essentially 6 sc and a dc. Is that right??????? Could it be that my chain 6 is just too loose?

I think I understand the problem with Rnd 7 - think you ch too many at the beginning. You should ch 3 - this counts as the final dc when you have finished the rnd.

Then you should (dc,ch3,dc) in the first ch-sp of Rnd 6.

See if that helps.....

I'll see if I can figure out the problem with Rnd 8 in a bit.

Let me know if Rnd 7 works first.

I think you are right, that chain 3 becomes the last DC because the last 'row' is dc 12 and then into the top of the chain 3 and thus making the correct number on that side. THANK you sooo much! That also then fixes round 8! Amazing what happens when you follow the pattern as written!

I'm jumping in a little late (I'm new here). I feel in love with this afghan the minute I saw it and couldn't help but start it. I almost didnt as it looks a little advaced for me (I'm sort of an old newbie. I was taught to crochet as a kid and 10 years later I am getting back into it) Its not a complex as I had thought and thanks to about.com I haven't had any real problems.

I have 6 complex hexagons (3 stitched together) and somewhere around 5 to 7 snowflakes ready for the blue to be added.

I'm using Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Aran and Windsor Blue. The Aran is a little tan for my tastes but its not too noticable once the blue is added. I bought the yarn for an easier pattern but started this one around 3 am and this was all I had.

When I finish this one I think I will make another with higher quality yarn. I really am enjoying the pattern. It seemes to work up quickly and the few people who have seen it keep saying how amazing it is. I can see this one becoming a favorite for gifts and charity.

One question: Everyone's hexagons look like they lay flat here but mine are have quite a bit of curl or wave to them. The snowflakes seem fine but when I add the blue they get curly. I saw someone say that once stitched together they are ok if they have a bit of wave but mine have more than a bit! The few I stitched together do seem ok but I wont know until I stitch a few more on. How do I get rid of the waves?

I have been working on this afghan for a year and a half, but still am not quite finished. I am sewing together as I go, and need only two more motifs to finish the main part of the afghan. I haven't touched it in months though. My hexagons were quite wavy until I sewed them together.

• 2 months later...

just finished this one, finally:

DSC01620.jpg

Sorry, the pic is on its side, I haven't mastered photobucket, apparently.

This one is in RHSS, cherry red and soft white. It's for my niece who grew up in Philly area but is now living in CA and misses winter...

Wow, Its gorgous in red!

I put mine aside for a while. Its about half way done but I had lost some interest and found another project I wanted to do, so I switched for a while. Its been 80 degrees outside all week, I dont really need an afghan for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OH wow!! I'm shocked this thread is still going! I started my Snowflake afghan 2 years ago. Got some of the white snowflakes done, did a few here and there, but due to life and it's experiences, didn't work on it as much as I would have liked.

Monday, I bought the background yarn I plan to use. It's RH Williamsburg Print.

I have a few of the blocks done, just haven't taken photos. Will post photos in a day or two.

I really like how it is turning out, though. Wish I'd had worked on it more sooner.

:clap WTG!!!

Mine looked kind of shapeless until I added the background.

I did 4 or 5 snowflakes and then added borders. It got boring just doing snowflakes, and also I didn't want to be stuck having dozens of hexagons to sew together at the end. I finished some and sewed them together and then made some more.

I made about 18 snowflakes over the past 2 years...couldn't decide on a background yarn to use. FINALLY go it Monday(in previous post). Last night, did 3 backgrounds and now I plan to sew them together before doing more. I think alternating between snowflakes, doing bgs and then sewing together, helps break monotony.

I'm still working on this one too, although I am slightly ashamed to admit it. I started it in September of 2006, and at that time, I was planning to have it finished by Christmas. I need to make about 5 more squares and finish sewing everything together. Then I can start the border. Maybe by this Christmas........

Archived