Snowflake Afghan CAL

The deadline for having this afghan finished has been moved up to November from December. :eek Every year my church has a raffle to raise money for local missions and I always make an afghan. I usually donate a "granny", but this year I decided to make the Snowflake Afghan. I have 33 of 59 squares done and am crunching to complete the others. :morcoffee

Everybody, wish me luck! Thanks!!!!

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck Hildy48. I sure hope you are a more focused crocheter than I am. You have a definite goal, which probably helps keep you on track.

I started this afghan 2 years ago, made all the motifs in a few weeks and put them away. I took them out a few weeks ago and started sewing them together. I wish I had sewn them together in strips when I made them, because I'm finding this part of the process really tedious. I enjoyed making the motifs, but not this part.

I used regular worsted weight yarn, but I didn't need as many motifs to get a good sized afghan. I think simply soft would work well for this pattern. I wouldn't use sport weight yarn for an adult sized afghan as it seems to delicate to me, but that is just a personal opinion.

Got 5 more motifs done while hubby was watching a movie last night. :lol I'm using chunky yarn so am only doing 6 rows of 7 motifs. I have 2 rows finished and sewn, plus the other 5, so...(gosh, I suck at math!)...I have 23 left! :cheer

Well, here it is two weeks left to get this afghan finished by the deadline! I've done the math and realized that there are not enough hours in the day to get it done on time. So, :idea go to plan two; contribute an afghan that is already complete!

I really like this afghan and I plan to finish it, but having to crunch to get it done was taking the joy out of making it. :(:juggle Now I can work at my own pace and maybe contribute to some of the charity projects that a lot of you are working on.

So, all of you that are making this afghan with me, let's keep going on and let's have fun with it. :cheer

Can't wait to see all the finished products.

I've just been crocheting a little over a month...found this site...and then this BEAUTIFUL afghan! I love snow and so I must crochet this...but have to admit...learning how to read patterns can be intimidating to say the least. A friend of mine sat with me last night and helped me with the first snowflake...now it makes so much sense...went home and crocheted the second one! I've knitted for about 2 years now and LOVE it...and now I'm enjoying Crochet...can't wait to learn more...how do my snowflakes look? I have lots to learn for sure...I'm sure I'll have lots of practice making this afghan...LOL! The snowflake with the orange marker was my first one. I'm going to weave in the ends as I go, so I don't have a bazillion ends to weave in at the end!

snowflakes.jpg

Merry:):clap

Congrats on findind a new fun craft!!! Your snowflakes look great!!!

I'm still working on mine. I'm about 1/3 of the way completed. Hope to be able to get it done by the first of the year. I've got many gifts to make in between now and Christmas, so not sure how much I'll be able to do on this one right now.

Ok...so none of you told me this was going to happen since I've learned to crochet a couple of months ago...LOL! Yes, I have made 2 snowflakes...yippee! But...I also started a Spiderman Afghan...going great and getting bigger every day! That's not all...started my Noah's Ark Afghan and almost done with the water...I have too many projects...not counting my knitting ones! What's a girl to do?

Truly, I am really enjoying crochet...there are soooooo many beautiful patterns out there and if I keep this up, I'll have them started too! LOL!

Merry :)

Ok...so none of you told me this was going to happen since I've learned to crochet a couple of months ago...LOL! Yes, I have made 2 snowflakes...yippee! But...I also started a Spiderman Afghan...going great and getting bigger every day! That's not all...started my Noah's Ark Afghan and almost done with the water...I have too many projects...not counting my knitting ones! What's a girl to do?

Truly, I am really enjoying crochet...there are soooooo many beautiful patterns out there and if I keep this up, I'll have them started too! LOL!

Merry :)

ROFL Sorry Merry- it's just a slight occupational hazard. :lol

I've got 20 of my 42 snowflakes finished, and soooo tempted to start another rr, plus I found a pattern for my stash of chenille, that I'm dying to start. I keep trying to fool my brain into thinking that I could use the Snowflake afghan as a Christmas gift, but really- I hadn't planned it for one so it doesn't *need* to be finished before I start another project. :blush

I'm hoping its not too late to get in on this one. I put my needle down for a little while, cause I never have enough people to give my blankets too, but I like this one alot, so if someone from the family doesnt claim it it's mine! Hope I'm not too late to join. I went to Wally world and got the yarn for the snowflakes themselves. I don't know what color I want on the outside yet. Any suggestions? Just finished one hex motiv tonight just to see how they work up. Much easier than I expected. Have 2 snowflakes done already along with my swatch. WOO HOO!!!

Hi everyone ! I would like to be in on this too. I did not know there was a CAL for this. I have hit a "bump" in mine. I have finished all of the snowflake middles and almost half with the darker "border" I have two questions:

1. Is anyone doing this and their "hexagons" kind of fold or are wavy? Like a tension issue but I am using WW yarn with an I hook.

2. How to stitch them together? I have never stitched together squares or any thing before so I'm not confident in my whipstitching abilities but would rather do the single crochet method. How do you get a running stitch so you don't have to end off and restart every so often..... does this make sense?

Thanks Hildy for making me aware of this CAL. Good luck to all making this!

I love the snowflake afghan and definitely want to be part of the crochet along; I am off to Walmart to buy my yarn. I am a new member so please give me a little more information as to how this works and when you plan on tarting the crochet along.

This CAL has been on going for some time it seems. I just started it recently and a few people came in after. It's not too late to join the fun. :cheer:yay

This is a beautiful, easy aghan to make so, I'm hoping there will still be others who will join this CAL. :hook

It is fun to see other's progress, and colors choices. If you go back and read the earlier posts, it will answer some of your concerns such as the wavyness of the motifs (they straighten out when sewn together.) :yes

I have 6 more snowflakes to go. Then I have 26 borders to crochet.

Well, I haven't gotten any more than 37 snowflakes done in the two plus years since I started it, but life has settled down to the point that I'm ready to pick it back up again.

My motifs are sort of wavy as well and I know my tension is proper. At first I thought I'd steam them using a press cloth, but I think I'll join them and then wash it. If it looks great, Mom gets it. If it doesn't, it stays here.

Somewhere in this ever so lengthy (but fun!) thread someone gave directions for squaring up the areas on the edge motifs so there is a straight edge all the way around the afghan. When I have the time, I'll go back through all of the posts and find it again.

Heck, I'll go through it again just to see all the beautiful combinations that everyone used on this afghan!:yay

I've been working on this for about 2 days now and I have about 50 centers on the motifs to do. I hope to have this and 1 other afghan done by Christmas so wish me luck. My motifs are a bit wavy too, but they do flatten out when sewed together. Also, I would like to know more about other alternatives to whipstiching together too.

Thanks

No new snowflakes made, but I finally realized that there is no reason I couldn't join the ones I already have made and get ahead of the game.

When I do one of these again I'll weave the ends as I finish a motif and join them together as I go. Sometimes I am just not the brightest lightbulb!:blush

I'm joining!

I started this afghan last year, before I knew this CAL existed. Its such a great afghan! Not sure how many hexes I have completed, but I'm sewing the rows together as I go.

Thanks to whomever started the CAL!:clap

No new progress, here, either. I decided to try a couple of shawls as Christmas gifts instead. So my snowflake afghan is still sitting in its bag, waiting for me to pay it some attention. :blush

Archived