Snowflake Afghan CAL

Good to see that there's a few of us plugging away at this one. I have now found my size G hook, so I'm ready to go in earnest. I started out with an H, but figured out quickly that I'd have a HUGE afghan if I kept up with that hook.

And since Survivor starts in a few minutes, here's a perfect opportunity to crochet the evening away! Then CSI & ER, my evening is complete! We'll see how many flakes I can make in 3 hours.

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I just bought the yarn for this, but I haven't started it. So far, I;ve only done granny squares, and I can;t read a pattern to save my soul, but my best friends wants me to try and do this for her for their new house ( she is getting married). It will ) hopefully) be white and burgundy.

I just bought the yarn for this, but I haven't started it. So far, I;ve only done granny squares, and I can;t read a pattern to save my soul, but my best friends wants me to try and do this for her for their new house ( she is getting married). It will ) hopefully) be white and burgundy.

I generally keep an eye on this CAL because I really like the pattern and they all turn out so pretty.

Just to say that if you need help with the pattern I will be happy to answer any questions. You can ask here or in crochet help and everyone will help you.

I too love this pattern and have considered making one... it just keeps getting further down the list.

Wow, I cant believe this thread was started so long ago! I found it today as I was looking for a hexagon pattern booklet, and just fell in love with it..especially this close to the holidays and the cold weather. Have one snowflake down, had to restart it a few times to get it right (haven't made granny square type things in AGES) ..about how big are yours? Just the white of mine is about 6 inches point to point, the picture looks a bit different from what Im doing. Hopefully the background will help it out a bit.

2066125497_383e9b85be_o.jpg

a couple done, have 5 fully done..think im going to sew them together and see how it looks..does it go faster if you spin out just the snowflakes then go back afterward and add the border? I hope Im not the only one left :@

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I looked for the snowflakes I had made when I first joined this cal, but I couldn't. I decided to start a new one. I'm using white for the snowflakes and country rose for the border. I started last night and I almost have my 1st snowflake done. I make the snowflake then add the border. I'm also going to sew them together as I make them. Maybe this time I won't loose them. When I find my other snowflakes, I'll finish that afghan too. Bluespunnn, I love the colors you picked, and can't wait to see more pictures. I'll post pictures soon.

Just found this thread and you can count me in!! I already made one as a "baby shower" gift - well for the mom to be. Did it in white and teal.

Fell in love with the pattern and how it works up so easily so I've started one for me (between my other commitments). Decided to do it with a black background and several different colored snowflakes. Done 16 in purple so far. Thinking I'll use dark pink and teal as the other colors. Will let you know :)

I'm thrilled to join my first CAL!

I also have this in my to do list that I don't have in my sig.. And my hubby bought me the yarn for it yesterday as one of my early Christmas gifts.. So Means I can now add it to my list and get started! So count me in ladies this is a beautiful ghan!

Kristy :c9

I've finally figured out the color pattern I'm going to use.... mostly purple snowflakes (21 done out of 41 - and some centers) with pink and teal snowflakes in an alternating ripple (4 done out of 18). Oh all with a black background.:flake

Hard to explain but will post when I start sewing it together. Bluespunnn- great idea to sew as you go!

i really want to try this one. I will have to take a look at what colors I have laying around and see what I can get going on as far as color patterns. I will let ya know when I pick something. I probably won't start this till after the holidays though I still have some stuff to finish for xmas

I posted this in the Sky CAL, but it's about this pattern, so I am posting it here too

OK. This snowflake afghan has been taunting me, so I was bound and determined to get it today, no matter what!!!

I figured the first step was to get the six sided snowflake itself down.

So, after about 3 tries, it clicked in my head. I finally 'got' the 'pattern' within the pattern, if that makes any sense.

I was SO excited!!!! :dance go me :dance go me :dance go me :dance

and then...

at the end of the 4th row

I noticed something...

th_P1030058.jpg

Clickable

The blasted thing has seven sides....:rolleyes

.....to be continued.....

Bean -it looks like you have the general direction of the pattern, but i think where you got a little off track was clear back at the beginning-- start it over and make sure you start with the right number of chains before joining, then when you do your first round , do your dc,ch2,dc around,and join to the beginning chain . You should have 6 chain 2 openings at this point. That is where it got messed up, you have 7, so go back to the beginning and try it over so that it has 6 chain 2 spaces, then each round after that should come out fine and dandy .

:cheer I DID IT! :cheer

th_P1030059.jpg

Clickable

Now, a few questions.

Is that what it is supposed to look like before the background?

Do you think a J kook made it look funky?

Did anyone else make all the snowflakes first and then go back and put the background on?

:clap WTG!!!

Mine looked kind of shapeless until I added the background.

I did 4 or 5 snowflakes and then added borders. It got boring just doing snowflakes, and also I didn't want to be stuck having dozens of hexagons to sew together at the end. I finished some and sewed them together and then made some more.

OK, Here it is with the border

th_P1030064.jpg

Clickable

It seems a little wonky, like it doesn't want to lay flat.

Did anyone else have this issue, and did it lay better when you started to out it together?

Pretty. I like the color you are using in yours. I have one that is about halfway done. I started it a long time ago. I sat it down and lost interest in it. But I am thinking about picking it up again. Mine is white and Dark Sage.

I'm so excited!! Just finished the last of the 59 motifs :yay

Now to lay out the design (two "ripples" with the teal and pink) and I'm off to put the afghan together. Hope to get it done by the end of the year...... will post photos when finished!

Hope your hooks are flying, Deborah

Next the "fun" part of putting them togeather. The directions say to whipstitch, but does anyone think it would come out ok if I joined then in the "back stitches" with a sc or sl st ?:think

I did the white & blue

P.S. What size does it come out to be when finished?

Archived