2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

Must be the yarn being used, because I don't find the center "flower" to be floppy at all-- I am using Red Heart Jeweltones ?? The circles of clusters stabilize it and the fill squares( small ones) should keep it stable when the whole thing is attached.

However, definitely change the HDC on row 8 to DC no matter where you place them. the HDC causes the octagon to become a circle

Yours look much better than the ones I saw posted on the bernat forums :yes

Here is my finished octogon. I started with dtr clusters with chain 5's in between them instead of rounds 1 & 2. And for the final round I did all dc's adding an extra dc in the middle sc's. I made the changes on the chart and took a pic to make the final round more clear. It's still lacy but the center isn't such a mess. The size came out perfect :)

I like the look of the spikes done like that than with the chains, kinda gives it a more 'solid' look....I think I'll hijack your idea and do mine this way :devil:wink Thanks for sharing your changes, I did want to keep it similar to the original :yes

Here's my clue 6 motif:

It looks better with the dc's around the edge done differently than written, IMHO. I'm still not sold on this one. I might still do something different.

Yours is also better than the ones on the bernat forums and I definitely agree with the dc's in the final round :yes

I just realized I read the pattern completely wrong. :rofl I'll get to work on clue three after I finish clue one, because clue 2 takes the longest to make just one square.:knit

:lol I didn't mind clue 2, clue 1 seems to be the longest for me :sigh I only have 2 of clue 1, 1 of clue 2, and 3 of clue 3. I haven't started clue 4. I'm going back to finish up clue 1 first I think because I'm pretty sure I'm going to run out of yarn since I'm just using up stash....I might end up with more than 5 colors :think:lol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, last night I finished up last weeks clue :yay And now after seeing your changes, I'm going to take this with me away this weekend. I'm leaving tonight and may get a little time tomorrow to work on it. Saturday morning I'm meeting up with some ladies from the ville here, so I'll definitely get a little something done then :yes

I'm having such a hard time with this last clue! I have worked on it for 2 evenings and I think I just need to frog it and start all over. I'm getting very frustrated with it. I got all the way to round 8 and I can't get it to work out....seems I have an extra chain 5. :sigh

Deb - Sorry you're having trouble with this one. I really dislike it so I'm not making anymore of them. :(

I got all except one of the clue 5 motifs done yesterday. This weekend I plan on knocking out clue 6. I think I mentioned I'm going to use a different motif.

I'm having such a hard time with this last clue! I have worked on it for 2 evenings and I think I just need to frog it and start all over. I'm getting very frustrated with it. I got all the way to round 8 and I can't get it to work out....seems I have an extra chain 5. :sigh

I am so sorry! That has got to be frustrating!

I finished clue 6, and while it isn't my favorite I'm using it. I think it will look nice in the finished afghan. I was going to play around with them yesterday to try to guess at the layout but opted for a complete surprise instead, lol.

I had the same problem. I frogged it so many times... but once I got the first one done, the second one came out with no problems. I have 2 1/2 done right now.

Well I'm going to give it another go tonight. I like the idea of all dc in round 8 to make it more square looking. Now if I can just figure out what the heck I did wrong to begin with I'll be a happy camper!

Nicole what are you doing to replace it?

Did we ever use color B before? I don't remember! :think I spent 2 hours working on this latest clue and I still have one round to go. I'm not crazy about this one at all.

Yes we did 1 in clue 1! It's been so long and I haven't done clue 3 & 4...just finished clue 5 that I'd forgotten what I'd designated as color B.

Well, last night I finished up last weeks clue :yay And now after seeing your changes, I'm going to take this with me away this weekend. I'm leaving tonight and may get a little time tomorrow to work on it. Saturday morning I'm meeting up with some ladies from the ville here, so I'll definitely get a little something done then :yes

Where do you guys meet up? Is it anywhere north of Pittsburgh? I'm in Erie, so I was just wondering :)

Here is my pic for last week...except that the smaller white ones had to be frogged (ran out of yarn, will have to adjust after all the clues are out).

post-21933-135897749071_thumb.jpg

And here is the pic for this week.

post-21933-135897749074_thumb.jpg

Where do you guys meet up? Is it anywhere north of Pittsburgh? I'm in Erie, so I was just wondering :)

I'll answer for Marisa since I'm one of the ones she met up with yesterday!!! We meet in NJ. We used to meet up about once every 6 wks or so when she lived in Philly and there are 3 of us from NJ. Now she lives in Pitt, but was in NJ for a friends bachlorette party so we got to meet up again! :manyheart

Been following along and all the squares are looking great. Marisa was actually working on her last clue square yesterday at the meet up!

I had the same problem,(extra chain 5) but I made my mistake on row 7 at the end. With the final chain 5, miss the last cluster, sc, and you also miss the last chain 3 space and sl to first sc. If you do it this way, it should be correct for rnd 8. Hope this helps.

I'll answer for Marisa since I'm one of the ones she met up with yesterday!!! We meet in NJ. We used to meet up about once every 6 wks or so when she lived in Philly and there are 3 of us from NJ. Now she lives in Pitt, but was in NJ for a friends bachlorette party so we got to meet up again! :manyheart

Ooooh ok, yea that's nowhere near me :lol Thanks!

Here are two of my clue 6 octagons :) I don't really mind this one, I did the dtr's for the center instead of the chains and I like how they came out, and I did all dc's in the last round, I wasn't really a fan of the "sideways dc's", but I love this green so I think that's why I'm pleased with these :D

post-43909-135897749451_thumb.jpg

But, I'm sure she'll answer you when she gets back home to Pitt- not sure how far where she lives is from where you live!!!

Pitt is about 2 hours south of me, I'm right at Lake Erie, that little notch that sticks up in NW PA :)

:jumpyay:wooI am so happy. I finally got the first clue of the KAL completely done. :woo:jumpyayI worked Crazy hard the past week just to get those last four done. :knit:knit:knit Now to get everything else done.

post-53466-135897749509_thumb.jpg

Well I'm going to give it another go tonight. I like the idea of all dc in round 8 to make it more square looking. Now if I can just figure out what the heck I did wrong to begin with I'll be a happy camper!

Nicole what are you doing to replace it?

It's probably the end of round 7 that was getting you messed up because it almost got me last night when I was finishing up my first octagon for this clue that I started on Saturday when I met up with some fellow villers

I see Joanne already answered :D But if you're ever interested in meeting up out this way.....we could meet in the middle, which would still be an hour trip each :think

Here is my pic for last week...except that the smaller white ones had to be frogged (ran out of yarn, will have to adjust after all the clues are out).

[ATTACH]53830[/ATTACH]

And here is the pic for this week.

[ATTACH]53831[/ATTACH]

Great job :manyheart

Been following along and all the squares are looking great. Marisa was actually working on her last clue square yesterday at the meet up!

Thank you dear :hug

Here are two of my clue 6 octagons :) I don't really mind this one, I did the dtr's for the center instead of the chains and I like how they came out, and I did all dc's in the last round, I wasn't really a fan of the "sideways dc's", but I love this green so I think that's why I'm pleased with these :D

Came out great and I also stole the idea to do the dtr's in the center and all dc's for the outer round. I also did a round of sc's in the circle before doing the dtr's :think

:jumpyay:wooI am so happy. I finally got the first clue of the KAL completely done. :woo:jumpyayI worked Crazy hard the past week just to get those last four done. :knit:knit:knit Now to get everything else done.

Great job :clap I still only have 2 squares for clue 1 done :eek

I'm out of my main color. I went to Jo-Ann on Saturday and there wasn't any. Ahh! I guess I'm going to have to use a different color. I'm going to wait until the clue for joining is released so I can decide which other color to use.

I only need enough to make the last two octagons from clue 6. So, I should have plenty of another color. I have tons of three of the contrast colors left.

Archived