2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

Clue 5 is really easy. I've got the first 6 rounds finished on my first octagon. I'm slightly disappointed that we don't get to use the one color we haven't used much of so far. I have to admit, this CAL has really helped me improve my chart reading skills.:hook

I agree with you, I wish we could use more of color C!!! I hope we get to do at least one more motif with it because we only have 1 square of it!! :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For some reason when I pull the pdf for this week's clue up it doesn't give me the option to save it. There is no little save icon thingy. Does anyone know what I have done wrong to not have it? I am not seeing on the forums that anyone else is having this issue.

It may be reacting badly - you may not be fully up to date in your Adobe or you may need to use the [file] options from the menu at top left.

I just did an update on some Adobe thingy... don't remember which one though.

It may be reacting badly - you may not be fully up to date in your Adobe or you may need to use the [file] options from the menu at top left.

I just did an update on some Adobe thingy... don't remember which one though.

Thank you! I will look into that later ;)

I agree with you, I wish we could use more of color C!!! I hope we get to do at least one more motif with it because we only have 1 square of it!! :)

I'm sure we will. Especially since it's supposed to be used as much as colors A and B. I'm just curious about how many more clues we have. I know we still have 10 more weeks.

:clapHere are 2 of my Clue 5 Octagons. They're laying on my bed that I've been sitting on and it's pretty uneven (memory foam :) )

post-54847-135897746892_thumb.jpg

I was doing the Bernat CAL 2012 and after the last piece have decided to FROG it and do my own...This one looks too dowdy...and I just plain dont like it...Perhaps I'll do the last one they did...

I was doing the Bernat CAL 2012 and after the last piece have decided to FROG it and do my own...This one looks too dowdy...and I just plain dont like it...Perhaps I'll do the last one they did...

I know, I'm not wild about lacy afghans (sort of defeats the whole purpose of staying warm), but I figure I'm going to stick it out, finish it, and then give it away as a present.

:lol

I'm sure we will. Especially since it's supposed to be used as much as colors A and B. I'm just curious about how many more clues we have. I know we still have 10 more weeks.

:clapHere are 2 of my Clue 5 Octagons. They're laying on my bed that I've been sitting on and it's pretty uneven (memory foam :) )

There are 8 square/octagon clues total (I believe based on some thing on the Bernat forum, I'm not 100% though).

I almost quit the CAL at one point, but I have to admit, this one is starting to grow on me.

Here is what I have so far, for Clue 5:

:c9

That is really pretty!

Well I just gave away my alternate afghan. Will have to see what I can do with the rest of my yarn... :sigh

I did take a pic which I will post when I get a chance.

That was fast! I can't wait to see what it looked like.

I still haven't started on clue 5. I have been really busy with other life things. Hopefully today I will get a chance to start on it :)

I finished this about a week ago but it just didn't quite do what I was hoping for. I never could decide what to do about more borders.

A friend stopped by today and she fell in love with it for her older sister (my friend is over 80) who is in a wheelchair and feels the cold. She is giving me some yarn money - like I need more yarn :wlol

Don't you just love it when a victim falls into your clutches.

post-4896-135897746973_thumb.jpg

I finished this about a week ago but it just didn't quite do what I was hoping for. I never could decide what to do about more borders.

A friend stopped by today and she fell in love with it for her older sister (my friend is over 80) who is in a wheelchair and feels the cold. She is giving me some yarn money - like I need more yarn :wlol

[ATTACH]53487[/ATTACH]

That is really pretty! I'm glad that you found a home for it :lol

Darski- the afghan was very pretty I'm sure it will be appreciated.

I have finished 2 of my clue 5. They crocheted up very fast. I was also able to get my gauge much easier. I'm still using a size k hook. I think I crochet tighter when I'm working a motif.

[ATTACH]53487[/ATTACH]

This is beautiful :manyheart

Hurt my wrist while skating a few days ago because I fell, so I can't knit or crochet for a little bit. :blush I guess it's a good thing that it is a break week for the knitters.

[ATTACH]53487[/ATTACH]

Love it!

Did anyone else have issues with clue 3 on the second half (of the KAL)? Mine never wanted to work out like it was suposed to be in the pictures on Bernat's forum.

Did anyone else have issues with clue 3 on the second half (of the KAL)? Mine never wanted to work out like it was suposed to be in the pictures on Bernat's forum.

All of my octagons have been turning out sad and wrinkly! I'm hoping that when I sew everything together, things will flatten out (I'm in denial, I know...) :lol.

Ok I need to vent!!! :devil (sorry in advance) I started off not really liking this afghan because of its "lacy" theme, then I was really excited about it because of the mystery part of it and I liked how there were a variety of motifs each week (as in detail), but now after doing one octagon for clue 5 I'm starting to really get annoyed with this whole size issue!! :eek My clue 1 squares were only a little bit smaller than the "said" size, my clue 2 and 3 octagons were like 9 inches across, which I know is smaller than the "said" size, but I was fine with it because they all came out the same, my clue 4 squares were the same size as clue 1 - fine - now my clue 5 octagon is like an inch bigger in length and width than my clue 2 and 3 octagons!!! I'm too stubborn to experiment with gauges because I just want to do it once and get it over with and hope for the best, I'm just annoyed with this pattern I think, I feel like they wrote it without really doing it out and getting the exact measurements :angry

I agree with others when they say if they all fit together fine and flatten out decently well once all sewn together then it's really no big deal, I'm just frustrated because if these pieces don't fit together properly when it's time to assemble it's going to be SO much to fix and I know I'm not going to want to do it!!! grrr :thumbdown

Ok back to my other clue 5 octagons...:hook

Ok I need to vent!!! :devil (sorry in advance) I started off not really liking this afghan because of its "lacy" theme, then I was really excited about it because of the mystery part of it and I liked how there were a variety of motifs each week (as in detail), but now after doing one octagon for clue 5 I'm starting to really get annoyed with this whole size issue!! :eek My clue 1 squares were only a little bit smaller than the "said" size, my clue 2 and 3 octagons were like 9 inches across, which I know is smaller than the "said" size, but I was fine with it because they all came out the same, my clue 4 squares were the same size as clue 1 - fine - now my clue 5 octagon is like an inch bigger in length and width than my clue 2 and 3 octagons!!! I'm too stubborn to experiment with gauges because I just want to do it once and get it over with and hope for the best, I'm just annoyed with this pattern I think, I feel like they wrote it without really doing it out and getting the exact measurements :angry

I agree with others when they say if they all fit together fine and flatten out decently well once all sewn together then it's really no big deal, I'm just frustrated because if these pieces don't fit together properly when it's time to assemble it's going to be SO much to fix and I know I'm not going to want to do it!!! grrr :thumbdown

I am so sorry that you are having these issues :( I have used a J hook for each of the clues and they have all come out the correct size. I know that lots of people are having a really hard time with them not coming out the correct size. If I was having the problem I would be really frustrated too. :hug

I can sympathize with you, I can not imagine how someone with an "H" hook and worsted weight yarn got the sizes they are listing :think

I thought I crocheted loosely and I had to go up to an " I", but so far they have all come out more or less the same size. In my experience squares within a 1/2 - 3/4 " will fit together nicely especially if the stitch count on the sides is the same

Acrylic yarn will block itself when machine washed and dried . If it's not as "flat" as you would like after that, I take it out before the cooldown -when it's still warm , lat flat and do a little hand pressing, much less time spent than blocking each square :hook I'd never complete my afghans if I blocked every square individually :eek

Archived