2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

I am still working on clue two for the CAL, which I have changed hooks a couple of times.

I also am wondering how the squares will be put together and maybe that way the pieces will not be as floppy.

I knit more than I crochet but I know I do not block every time I wash anything that I do knit and my pieces are made flat.

Next weeks clue should be interesting.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still have 1 1/2 octagons from last week to finish so I'm now officially behind :lol

I just checked out the new clue and I don't like it, I actually felt my heart drop when I saw the chart, hopefully it looks better in yarn than in the drawing :xfin

Don't feel bad. I only have one of last week's clue done. :D I won't even talk about how far behind I am on the KAL.

IMO, the actual motif looks worse than the chart. :( However, I made a few adjustments while playing around with one and I think I can make it look better.

I'm working on my first clue 6. I didn't like the center, way to floppity for me. I mean who is going to block their afghan after it's washed every time??? So instead of working rounds 1 & 2 as it's written I worked dtr clusters with chain 5's separating them. Much less floppity and it seems to be roughly the same size as before with the regular chains. It makes the center look like an 8-pointed star sort of. I'll post a pic after I finish it :)

That's a great idea. I'm going to try the dtr's instead of the chains, too.

Please share your changes ladies, because I agree that the squares I've seen done....I think I even like it less now that I did this morning :think I'm definitely doing something different (which I NEVER do :eek ) so since I still have more from last week, maybe I'll wait and see what you come up with. I'm not so good in the creativity department :lol

Nicole - as for the knitting, I haven't picked it up in about 2 weekds :eek I think I have 6 squares completed of 20 :rofl But I'll keep adding and eventually it'll get done :yes Perseverence....good thing I'm not on a timeline with it

As far as my change, on the last round, I'm using all dc's (omitting the hdc's). I'm also putting a dc in between the two sections. So, I'm putting four dc's in the the chain 5 space, putting one dc in the dc from the previous round, then 5 dc's in the next chain 5 space. I hope that make sense! If not, when I get done playing around, I'll post a picture. That should clear things up a bit.

As far as my change, on the last round, I'm using all dc's (omitting the hdc's). I'm also putting a dc in between the two sections. So, I'm putting four dc's in the the chain 5 space, putting one dc in the dc from the previous round, then 5 dc's in the next chain 5 space. I hope that make sense! If not, when I get done playing around, I'll post a picture. That should clear things up a bit.

I haven't gotten to the last round yet, lol! I'm on round 7. I'm still not feeling 100% so I'm moving slowly. The kids are loving having an early spring break because mommy isn't up to teaching school, lol. An early break for them and extra rest for me, a win, win situation ;)

I'll finish it and try to write out the changes that I make.

Must be the yarn being used, because I don't find the center "flower" to be floppy at all-- I am using Red Heart Jeweltones ?? The circles of clusters stabilize it and the fill squares( small ones) should keep it stable when the whole thing is attached.

However, definitely change the HDC on row 8 to DC no matter where you place them. the HDC causes the octagon to become a circle

post-13221-135897748455_thumb.jpg

Here is my finished octogon. I started with dtr clusters with chain 5's in between them instead of rounds 1 & 2. And for the final round I did all dc's adding an extra dc in the middle sc's. I made the changes on the chart and took a pic to make the final round more clear. It's still lacy but the center isn't such a mess. The size came out perfect :)

post-22492-135897748463_thumb.jpg

post-22492-135897748729_thumb.jpg

Here is my finished octogon. I started with dtr clusters with chain 5's in between them instead of rounds 1 & 2. And for the final round I did all dc's adding an extra dc in the middle sc's. I made the changes on the chart and took a pic to make the final round more clear. It's still lacy but the center isn't such a mess. The size came out perfect :)

That's fabulous! I'm making mine that way from now on. :yes

Here's my clue 6 motif:

It looks better with the dc's around the edge done differently than written, IMHO. I'm still not sold on this one. I might still do something different.

I think it looks pretty. I have resigned myself that this will be an open and lacy afghan so I am just going with it. And I think this will end up being a Christmas gift for my Florida family, lol.

I agree that it looks better with the dc's. It doesn't come out anywhere near octogon without them, it comes out more circular and scalloped. That's pretty but it won't fit well with the others, lol.

:lol It's a good thing I wanted to make changes to clue 6 since I made the first one in the wrong color. :rofl

I went to grab another skein to work on the rest and couldn't find anymore. I was trying to use color A. :blush

Must be the yarn being used, because I don't find the center "flower" to be floppy at all-- I am using Red Heart Jeweltones ?? The circles of clusters stabilize it and the fill squares( small ones) should keep it stable when the whole thing is attached.

However, definitely change the HDC on row 8 to DC no matter where you place them. the HDC causes the octagon to become a circle

Sorry, I missed your post! Your's looks wonderful, too.

Yours came out great Lynn! I love your color too :):manyheart

:lol It's a good thing I wanted to make changes to clue 6 since I made the first one in the wrong color. :rofl

I went to grab another skein to work on the rest and couldn't find anymore. I was trying to use color A. :blush

:lol:lol:lol

Me as well! I'm glad it's Wednesday. Though I think I'm going to try to finish up the case I'm making for my Afghan hooks. I've only got 71/2 more rows to put on it, and then it'll be finished.

Can you share the pattern for your hook case? I want to make one for my regular hooks. I like the roll up type or the kind that folds kinda like a book. I'm not having any luck finding one I like.

Yours came out great Lynn! I love your color too :):manyheart

thanks- it's actually an emerald green ,but I have never been able to take pictures of green that come out looking like the "real color"

I have to admit that I am not liking the potential as much as after the first clue- I will be making another afghan using that octagon-- in three colors :devil I was hoping for another to add variety, but so far none of the other octagons have tripped my trigger:P

This will be gifted -- somone I am sure, will love the lacy aspect!

I just finished remaking clue 6. Even with the wonderful changes Dee come up with, I still don't like it. I think I'm going to do more of the octagons that look like a flower in the center instead. It was clue 2, I'm pretty sure.

OK, so you start the new color off with 2 rows of knit when you add the new color then starts the pattern. You keep repeating the 6 rows. So the first row has the first k1b's across and then the even rows are knit. After you finish the 6th row you start back on row 1. So you have to remember to k1, k1tog and then k5 (the 3rd knit stitch of this 5 should be a regular knit in the line of k1b's from the previous set of 6 rows) and then when you get to the first k1b in this row, you should be in the 3rd regular knit stitch that falls directly between your k1b's below.

Does that help at all, or did I make it worse????? Good luck :hug

I just realized I read the pattern completely wrong. :rofl I'll get to work on clue three after I finish clue one, because clue 2 takes the longest to make just one square.:knit

Yay we get to use color B again!! :) Everyone's octagons look great so far, and thanks for all the tips on this one!!

Did we ever use color B before? I don't remember! :think I spent 2 hours working on this latest clue and I still have one round to go. I'm not crazy about this one at all.

Did we ever use color B before? I don't remember! :think I spent 2 hours working on this latest clue and I still have one round to go. I'm not crazy about this one at all.

I think we used color B in some of the small squares. I worked on #6 for a little bit last night and I don't like how its working up. I'm not finished with it yet so maybe it will look better when it's done.

3 more of clue 6 to go. I should finish them today. I bet next week will be a catch up week. I hope so, that would allow me to finish another afghan that I started, lol. I'm trying to get as many afghans finished as gifts for Christmas before the weather turns hot and I have to switch to small projects like doll clothes etc.

I found, for the clusters going sideways, that I needed to do tr stitches rather than dc stitches, so that the clusters would be long enough to go around the circle. Also, I found I didn't need to go to a larger hook size this time, as the motif is already stretchy enough to get to 11".

:c9

Archived