2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

Here are my clue 5 octagons and an updated photo of all the motifs in each color :) I'm so happy it's nice enough to take photos outside again!! I think they just come out so much better with the natural light :cheer

post-43909-135897747496_thumb.jpg

post-43909-135897747503_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are my clue 5 octagons and an updated photo of all the motifs in each color :) I'm so happy it's nice enough to take photos outside again!! I think they just come out so much better with the natural light :cheer

Those are so pretty! Your colors remind me of spring!

I have my octagons finished and my girls and I will try to get them blocked today. I got sick with what the rest of the family had last week. So I am not really getting much done. I'll post a pic after we get them blocked.

I finished this about a week ago but it just didn't quite do what I was hoping for. I never could decide what to do about more borders.

A friend stopped by today and she fell in love with it for her older sister (my friend is over 80) who is in a wheelchair and feels the cold. She is giving me some yarn money - like I need more yarn :wlol

Don't you just love it when a victim falls into your clutches.

[ATTACH]53487[/ATTACH]

Great job! That's very pretty!

Love your colors. I can't wait to see it put together!

I think I read on the Bernat forums that it lasts 15 weeks. That was the reply by an admin over there. I didn't think it lasts that long though so I'm not really sure.

Here are my clue 5's. I ended up not blocking them because they are flat and true to size and the edges will correct themselves when they are put together. And the real reason is that I am sick and I just don't want to bother with it. :lol I didn't even try for a good picture this week, lol.

post-22492-135897747686_thumb.jpg

Did anyone else have issues with clue 3 on the second half (of the KAL)? Mine never wanted to work out like it was suposed to be in the pictures on Bernat's forum.

Mine are fine I think :think I have 3 done I think. But, they were coming out too big so I won't have the right # of stitches along the edges which I'll have to keep in mind when joining :yes Where were you having issues with it?

Ok I need to vent!!! :devil (sorry in advance) I started off not really liking this afghan because of its "lacy" theme, then I was really excited about it because of the mystery part of it and I liked how there were a variety of motifs each week (as in detail), but now after doing one octagon for clue 5 I'm starting to really get annoyed with this whole size issue!! :eek My clue 1 squares were only a little bit smaller than the "said" size, my clue 2 and 3 octagons were like 9 inches across, which I know is smaller than the "said" size, but I was fine with it because they all came out the same, my clue 4 squares were the same size as clue 1 - fine - now my clue 5 octagon is like an inch bigger in length and width than my clue 2 and 3 octagons!!! I'm too stubborn to experiment with gauges because I just want to do it once and get it over with and hope for the best, I'm just annoyed with this pattern I think, I feel like they wrote it without really doing it out and getting the exact measurements :angry

I agree with others when they say if they all fit together fine and flatten out decently well once all sewn together then it's really no big deal, I'm just frustrated because if these pieces don't fit together properly when it's time to assemble it's going to be SO much to fix and I know I'm not going to want to do it!!! grrr :thumbdown

Ok back to my other clue 5 octagons...:hook

I ended up with a J hook for the small motifs and a K hook for all the octagons and they're all coming out nicely.

They look great :yes

I think I read on the Bernat forums that it lasts 15 weeks. That was the reply by an admin over there. I didn't think it lasts that long though so I'm not really sure.

Here are my clue 5's. I ended up not blocking them because they are flat and true to size and the edges will correct themselves when they are put together. And the real reason is that I am sick and I just don't want to bother with it. :lol I didn't even try for a good picture this week, lol.

Great job :yay

I only have 2 of this weeks octagons done, will do some more tonight :xfin

Still totally behind on the kal one though :lol:shrug

Mine are fine I think :think I have 3 done I think. But, they were coming out too big so I won't have the right # of stitches along the edges which I'll have to keep in mind when joining :yes Where were you having issues with it?

after the first set of k1b where they want you to repeat the pattern i can't get the next in between the others like it looks in everyone else's pics

after the first set of k1b where they want you to repeat the pattern i can't get the next in between the others like it looks in everyone else's pics

OK, so you start the new color off with 2 rows of knit when you add the new color then starts the pattern. You keep repeating the 6 rows. So the first row has the first k1b's across and then the even rows are knit. After you finish the 6th row you start back on row 1. So you have to remember to k1, k1tog and then k5 (the 3rd knit stitch of this 5 should be a regular knit in the line of k1b's from the previous set of 6 rows) and then when you get to the first k1b in this row, you should be in the 3rd regular knit stitch that falls directly between your k1b's below.

Does that help at all, or did I make it worse????? Good luck :hug

I haven't done a single octagon for this week's clue. :blush I do plan on doing some tomorrow though.

I have 3 done, which means I have 3 to go. I may only get one or two in tonight :think Good luck :hug

Me too! I'm looking forward to tomorrow :)

Me as well! I'm glad it's Wednesday. Though I think I'm going to try to finish up the case I'm making for my Afghan hooks. I've only got 71/2 more rows to put on it, and then it'll be finished.

Wow what a busy 2 weeks! Been working 11-12 hour days Monday through Friday, and not doing a thing once the weekend comes. I finally got my week 4 clues finished on Saturday. Had a day off today and got 3 of this weeks clues done. Going to try and have the other 3 done before bed.

Love seeing all the photos of everyone's motifs! They are all gorgeous! I just realized the only ones I have posted were from week 1. Hopefully will take some pictures in the next day or so and get them posted.

New clue tomorrow! Cant wait! :hook

I still have 1 1/2 octagons from last week to finish so I'm now officially behind :lol

I just checked out the new clue and I don't like it, I actually felt my heart drop when I saw the chart, hopefully it looks better in yarn than in the drawing :xfin

I don't mean to be a downer, but man the CAL clue #6 is UGLY. It's the only clue I haven't liked. It doesn't look any better finished judging by other's photos. I might make one to see if mine turns out all right. If not, I'll be placing another octagon in there instead. I like quite a few of the other one's...something lacy to replace it for sure.

I'm working on my first clue 6. I didn't like the center, way to floppity for me. I mean who is going to block their afghan after it's washed every time??? So instead of working rounds 1 & 2 as it's written I worked dtr clusters with chain 5's separating them. Much less floppity and it seems to be roughly the same size as before with the regular chains. It makes the center look like an 8-pointed star sort of. I'll post a pic after I finish it :)

Archived