2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

I was sort of fried from giving blood yesterday, so I didn't get around to sewing the pieces together. I'm going to have to make an effort this weekend, so that I'm set for next Wednesday's clue!

:crocheting

Way to go! :cheer I'm afraid of needles and can't really stand the sight of blood too much before I go pale :lol. Otherwise I would give blood myself, but it was a task just to do the blood type test in my anatomy class a few weeks ago.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way to go! :cheer I'm afraid of needles and can't really stand the sight of blood too much before I go pale :lol. Otherwise I would give blood myself, but it was a task just to do the blood type test in my anatomy class a few weeks ago.

Too kind. I STILL haven't gotten all the shapes sewn together yet. I'm going to try to get it done tonight and then start on the border. I know people are disappointed in the border, but if you go out to Ravelry, there is a woman who's come up with a beautiful border, using the 4 contrasting colors. It's just stunning. :c9

Too kind. I STILL haven't gotten all the shapes sewn together yet. I'm going to try to get it done tonight and then start on the border. I know people are disappointed in the border, but if you go out to Ravelry, there is a woman who's come up with a beautiful border, using the 4 contrasting colors. It's just stunning. :c9

Are you talking about about the one with the seed stitch? I saw hers on the bernat forums as well last night. I'm debating between hers and another one I saw on the bernat forums.

Would you post a link to it so I can see it? I've still got to piece mine together but would love to see other order options.

I used a contrast color and did DC instead of sc, I like the border to define the piece not blend in as the MC would have done

and since there was so much time I used one of the clues to bake a Baby'ghan

Looks great :yes:h5

I'll have to go see if I can find it, I was just about to head over there to look for a pattern anyway :think

I used a contrast color and did DC instead of sc, I like the border to define the piece not blend in as the MC would have done

and since there was so much time I used one of the clues to bake a Baby'ghan

Both are lovely!

Loving all the blankets everyone's come up with!

I haven't assembled my blanket yet; I got sidetracked and spent the last couple weeks finishing a different afghan. I'll probably start assembling it tomorrow or Monday and'll use Bernat's layout. I have to admit, I'm really not impressed with their border and the jagged look of the edges...:sigh I've been toying with making a half-hexagon to even them up, and, like some others have done, I'm going to add a more elaborate border that'll probably incorporate all of the colors.

I never posted pictures for clues five and six, so I'll post that along with a pic of the half-hex I'm toying with.

post-33647-135897753871_thumb.jpg

post-33647-135897753874_thumb.jpg

post-33647-135897753877_thumb.jpg

Here is my finished ghan. I used one of the other octagons instead of clue six, and I added a row of reverse half doubles to make the border more substantial. Keep plugging away, girls. You can do it! I'm really glad I did this CALand love the finished ghan.

post-51264-135897754146_thumb.jpg

Here is my finished ghan. I used one of the other octagons instead of clue six, and I added a row of reverse half doubles to make the border more substantial. Keep plugging away, girls. You can do it! I'm really glad I did this CALand love the finished ghan.

It came out beautiful. Love the colors!

I haven't assembled my blanket yet; I got sidetracked and spent the last couple weeks finishing a different afghan. I'll probably start assembling it tomorrow or Monday and'll use Bernat's layout. I have to admit, I'm really not impressed with their border and the jagged look of the edges...:sigh I've been toying with making a half-hexagon to even them up, and, like some others have done, I'm going to add a more elaborate border that'll probably incorporate all of the colors.

I never posted pictures for clues five and six, so I'll post that along with a pic of the half-hex I'm toying with.

I lOVE that half-octagon!! I kind of wish I had done something like that as well because I'm not really a fan of the uneven edges :(

You afghan came out wonderfully!! I love the colors, it's kind of like vintage and modern at the same time :) Great job!

DONE!! I added my own border because the sc round wasn't enough for me... I did an sc round with MC, an hdc round with light green, another sc round with MC and finished with a (bobble, ch 1/skip 1, hdc, ch1/skip 1) round...which took FOREVER!! :eek I was going to add a few more rounds and incorporate the other two contrast colors, but I was spent after I finished the bobble round so I just decided to leave it :) Happy to be finished!!

post-43909-135897754158_thumb.jpg

post-43909-135897754161_thumb.jpg

DONE!! I added my own border because the sc round wasn't enough for me... I did an sc round with MC, an hdc round with light green, another sc round with MC and finished with a (bobble, ch 1/skip 1, hdc, ch1/skip 1) round...which took FOREVER!! :eek I was going to add a few more rounds and incorporate the other two contrast colors, but I was spent after I finished the bobble round so I just decided to leave it :) Happy to be finished!!

I :manyheart it!

I love your border. I think I'll try it for my ghan too. On your bobble round did you (bobble, ch1/skip 1, hdc, ch1/skip 1 then another bobble and repeat that all the way around)? Also what did you do when you came to a corner?

Love the bold colors! Looks great!

Oooo, very pretty! Love that border!

I love your border. I think I'll try it for my ghan too. On your bobble round did you (bobble, ch1/skip 1, hdc, ch1/skip 1 then another bobble and repeat that all the way around)? Also what did you do when you came to a corner?

Thank you! And yes, I did it all the way around. Here are two more photos of the border more close up. I completed the initial border with a round of sc like the clue suggests, in each "square" corner (in the 5-ch space from clue 1) I did an (sc, sc, ch 2, sc, sc), in each "octagon" corner I did (sc, ch 1, sc) and in each "anti-corner" (where an octagon connected with a square) i did an sc-decrease.

Then I joined my light green and did a round of hdc's following the same directions as the first round working in BACK LOOPS ONLY.

Then I joined the MC again and repeated the first round working in BACK LOOPS ONLY of the hdc's.

For the 4th round, I joined my light pink, ch 2, (working in BOTH LOOPS) then do a "bobble" in the same st as the ch 2...the only thing is, my bobble is more like an "inverse bobble" because I did it with the right side of the afghan facing me, when I should have done it the other way around, so for each bobble you have to take your finger and push it in so it pops out towards you, otherwise all your bobbles are going to be on the back side of your afghan!! :blush (ah well, live and learn) They may not all stick out like a bump, some of mine are just lying flat like a 5-dc cluster, but oh well, it took me too long to rip of out and do it again!

Anyway... bobble in same st, chain 1/skip next sc, hdc in next sc, ch 1/skip next sc, bobble in next sc, repeat around

In each "square" and "octagon" corner, I (bobble, ch 2, bobble) in the same space... now I did frog this method a little bit because sometimes your "skipping pattern won't take you directly to the corner, so sometimes I would skip two sc's instead of one when I made the next hdc or next bobble, you kind of just have to eye it, and sometimes on the octagon corner, I would make my bobble in the first sc of the corner, ch 2, and make my second in the ch-1 space, or other times do it in the sc after the ch-1 space (this round took me about 2 hours yesterday so I was just doing my best to finish it :eek)

I did not do anything different for the "anti-corners", just follow the bobble, ch 1, skip 1, hdc, ch 1, skip 1- pattern

Sorry if this is long, and if it's confusing!! :think Any more questions, please ask! Thanks:hook

post-43909-135897754228_thumb.jpg

post-43909-13589775423_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!! :cheer

I love the colors! It's gorgeous!

Omigosh I love the afghans! I love coming on here to look at them all! They're beautiful!

I'm down to the last two rows to seam together. I'm still a little undecided about my border.

Great idea, your half octagon looks great :yes

Great job Phyllis, I still have to decide what else I want to do with my border :think

Looks great, this may be in the running to try out :devil

I haven't finished clues 3, 4, & 6 because I had crochet orders I had to finish. I wasn't that crazy about the jagged edge either. However, there are a few on the Bernat site that actually look good because of the edging used. I've also seen some other layouts that I like better and I think I'm going to go with a different layout. I haven't decided which one yet. Gotta finish the clues first!

After thinking it over, I decided to keep it simple and just crochet one row each of the contrasting colors around for the border. I figure the rest of the afghan is ornate enough without adding to it. :c9

I've been working on the border that jillkap used and so far it is turning out good. I've changed it up just a little. I'm crocheting through both loops instead of BLO. And I may end up doing a cluster instead of a bobble. I thought jillkap's was a cluster plus I'm working on another afghan that is made with the bobble stitch so I don't want to overload myself with bobbles :hook.

jillkap- thank you so much for your wonderful explanation of your border, otherwise I would have been stuck using the sc border from the clue.

Archived