2012 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TrinaLRose You don't have a box of yarn yet. Talk to us in a few months. After going to yard sales, thrift shops, and Wall-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Anns. You will have more yarn than you know what to do with. Oh and if friends and family know you crochet just look for yarn from them as well. They will say I was at... place and it was such a good deal. Or something like that. It won't take long I assure you and you'll have so much yarn you'll be wanting to get rid of some.

A blessing and a curse.

Ok so I guess my last post was a litle complicated. I kinda just meant that in my family we all just sorta share yarn and its all over our houses. Not just in one place.

:lol I just wasn't prepared for it....I started reading and half way through I was like, I have no clue what I just read so I started over and paid attention (because I usually just kinda breeze through :blush ) I got it though :yes

:hug Yes, this does help, :ty

I'm new, :devil if you couldn't tell... :lol should I also put a title in, something that says it's my score for the week? I just want to make it as easy as I can... :wink

Thanks again!! :manyheart

You can, but you don't have to as long as you post your official week to date score big and colorful. Some people like to describe how their score got to be what it is, some people just post the numbers, some do something in between, some people add it to the end of a completely unrelated post or a reply so someone else, etc. It's entirely up to you. If it helps, you can peruse the 2011 Stashbusting Cal for a bit to see how people usually post.

No, you're not! Mine is a really small closet (1925 house) where the clothes bar runs front to back instead of side to side. I added shelves. But unfortunately it doesn't begin to hold all my yarn!

My yarn closet is under a split staircase (late 70s townhouse), so it has some nice nice depth to it and a decent width. It's getting pretty full in there, though; the past couple of times I've opened the door, I've been showered with bags of yarn! :eek I also have yarn stashed all over my room...

I'll have the place to myself in late February when my mom goes to Florida, and I plan to dig out my stash, drag it all upstairs :sweat, organize it, and photograph it like I did last year.

With all this talk of guest rooms, woman caves, and barns, I don't feel so bad about my closet!:rofl

This is a great idea! I would love to join in. I'm brand new to this type of communication so I want to make sure I haven't missed any important steps I need to take. I need to subscribe to this thread, then post my score every Saturday through my signature block - is that right? Please let me know if I've missed any steps. Looking forward to doing some serious stashbusting in 2012!

Welcome to the group, TrinaL.Rose and denevagil! Entered your names on the list on post #6. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

:manyheart

My yarn closet is under a split staircase (late 70s townhouse), so it has some nice nice depth to it and a decent width. It's getting pretty full in there, though; the past couple of times I've opened the door, I've been showered with bags of yarn! :eek I also have yarn stashed all over my room...

I'll have the place to myself in late February when my mom goes to Florida, and I plan to dig out my stash, drag it all upstairs :sweat, organize it, and photograph it like I did last year.

With all this talk of guest rooms, woman caves, and barns, I don't feel so bad about my closet!:rofl

hey watch that barn talk :lol:lol Does it help to take pictures? I could see where it might, at least I could see the picture and if I even said what bin it was in... :think:think

This is a great idea! I would love to join in. I'm brand new to this type of communication so I want to make sure I haven't missed any important steps I need to take. I need to subscribe to this thread, then post my score every Saturday through my signature block - is that right? Please let me know if I've missed any steps. Looking forward to doing some serious stashbusting in 2012!

Need to post scores actually in a post. Someone a page or 2 back gave an example. We put it in larger type and in color so that helps the person trying to keep score to find it more easily

I plan to dig out my stash, drag it all upstairs :sweat, organize it, and photograph it like I did last year.

When I first put yarn in the closet I started a list in a notebook with how much of what yarn was on what shelf, intending to mark off what I took out and used so I would know what I had. That lasted maybe a couple of months before I would forget to mark the list.

Now I have the closet and several boxes.

I'm dancing a little jig today. Last fall our son's trailer (which he was only living in when he came back to MS for guard drill--had a roommate living there) was damaged in a tornado. It's had tarps on the roof since then while we've dealt with the insurance company and tried to find someone to repair it.

Today he agreed on a price to sell it, as is!! He's taking a loss, but now I can stop worrying over it. We'll just have to help him get the rest of his stuff moved out of it.

And I even got by 2 Wal-Mart's today without buying any yarn!

I used up 1 more skein late last night & I've got 2 skeins in my van to give to a young lady tomorrow! BUT, I picked up 4 more skeins of yarn at WM the other day that I've been needing, so I'm back to a -8! :lol Seems to be my number for this week.

hey watch that barn talk :lol:lol Does it help to take pictures? I could see where it might, at least I could see the picture and if I even said what bin it was in... :think:think

I've found that it does help. I have a pretty good idea of what's in my stash, but it's nice to be able to refer back to the pictures when I'm a little stumped. When I did this last year, I mostly grouped the yarn by type and brand, which really helped. After each group picture, I tote them up together; the pic gives me a pretty good idea where I'm going to find this or that skein ten months down the road. That's about as organized as I get with my yarn. I'd rather crochet with it than catalogue it! :hook

When I first put yarn in the closet I started a list in a notebook with how much of what yarn was on what shelf, intending to mark off what I took out and used so I would know what I had. That lasted maybe a couple of months before I would forget to mark the list.

Now I have the closet and several boxes.

I thought about doing something like that but decided it would get too tedious, and I didn't want to feel that way about yarn. I do keep a stashbusting notebook, though, to keep track of what I buy and use up.

Ooooh...I have storage space under the staircase in our house!!! :idea We store our Christmas stuff under there. It would made a great yarn closet! :blush But, I do already have my own closet & my own room upstairs...I guess I'll just stick with that. :hook

WooHoo!! I finished out a skein of Grey, & White making these 2 hats!!

So if I understand correctly - I'm in the positives right?

So my Score would be

WTD; +4 YTD; +4?

Cute hats.

Updating my totals but no pictures yet. Used up 2 skeins on an afghan I've been working on since BEFORE christmas. I may be in trouble for next week though -I received two Michael's gift cards for christmas and next week (begin 1/8) they have a buy one get one free on Jiffy Thick & Quick yarn and a 20% off entire purchase including sale coupon good on Sunday 1/8 only.

Ravelry has a thread called Flash Your Stash 2011. If you are on Rav, here is the link http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/yarn/1457075/1-25

I don't have pictures yet as I am @ work but I did manage to use up two Cakes (I would from the original skein) of yarn continuing work on the never ending Motif Squares afghan that I started several years ago. :blush I hope to keep the momentum going and finish this thing.

Next will be to finish the vest I started 10 years ago when I picked up crocheting again. YIKKEES!

I'm soooo glad that I found this thread....It might just keep me motivated.

Great hats Mary and Jessica :manyheart

I got some more of my ghan done last night and have 2-3 rows left and the border :clap After I finish then I'll add up what I used. Since it's a graph, I have many attached balls to it so have to assess them to determine #'s :lol

I hope everyone has a wonderful day :hug

Archived