2012 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

I think I'd like to jump in this year. I've never joined because I was afraid I wouldn't be very good at keeping my tally :blush

But I find myself with a bunch of yarn that has already been specified for projects and several WIP's already started like 2 years ago :eek I want them done!

So we don't start with the point system prior to the 1st right? So I could go out now and pick up more :devil sounds great in theory, but it just wouldn't happen this week anyways :whew So that also means that we don't start counting what we use until the 1st. So if I have a project that I'm working on now and plan to have finished in the first week. Do I only count for what I actually USE from the 1st on, for instance, The skein in process would end up counting as a ball since half of it was used prior to January? Let me know if I got that right?

I don't know for sure, but if I was working on a project that I had begun with a full skein and I finished the skein after the first on the same project, I would count the full skein used in 2012 for 2 points.

Anyone else have an opinion?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Krafty. As long as I had not previously counted the first of the skein & I didn't finish the skein until after the first, I would count the whole skein in 2012. If I had previously counted the first part of the skein, then I would only count the second half of the skein in 2012. Clear as mud? :lol

Welcome to the group! It's always good to see new people signing up.

Tell us more about the Friendship afghan.

:manyheart

My friendship ghan is coming along slowly but surely♥ I'm not sure what I'd like to do with it just yet. I've seen many many 'ghans made that look so pretty. My wish would be to have a bunch made some day LOL

So if I have a project that I'm working on now and plan to have finished in the first week. Do I only count for what I actually USE from the 1st on, for instance, The skein in process would end up counting as a ball since half of it was used prior to January? Let me know if I got that right?

Yeah, I'd count it as two points as well, but that's me. I usually only count full skeins used and rarely roll my partials into balls. I do this for two reasons: I like to keep the ball band with the yarn so that I know exactly what it was just in case I don't get back to that skein for quite awhile, and it makes it easier to keep track of what I have and haven't counted toward my stashbusting score.

Yeah, I'd count it as two points as well, but that's me. I usually only count full skeins used and rarely roll my partials into balls. I do this for two reasons: I like to keep the ball band with the yarn so that I know exactly what it was just in case I don't get back to that skein for quite awhile, and it makes it easier to keep track of what I have and haven't counted toward my stashbusting score.

When I wind a ball I usually put it in a ziplock bag and put the band in with it

Hello everyone :hi

Thanks for adding me Linda and thanks for the answers Christie, Steph, krazycrocheter, and yarn geek. Since you're all on the same page, I will do it like that since I've never done the stashbusting CAL in the past and haven't had any points from any of them.

krazycrocheter - I've actually done many afghans, so this is not my first and it's my second graph ghan, which I find that I enjoy :yes I have all my pics on my ravelry page with the same name as here if you're ever perusing the area :lol

I do think it's important to keep the yarn band around, even when you roll it into a ball. This way, you know exactly what dye lot and color it is.

:manyheart

My goal is to use up the stash I have already! I hope to not buy TOO much yarn over the year, but I know I won't be able to resist. lol. I just bought 10 skeins of yarn last week for a ripple afghan for DH and myself. I got a Hobby Lobby gift card for Christmas and used it all to buy the yarn the very next day! lol.

I'll be using most of the 1/4 skeins of soft yarn to make preemie hats and booties to send off to hospitals around me, so that will take care of that part of my stash. I REALLY want to make a magic ball afghan, but I need a good ball winder to get the balls going for that.

Also been looking around for stashbusting patterns, but haven't found anything that stuck out to me yet.

Well, money is going to be extremely tight this year, so my goal is to NOT buy any new yarn, unless it's for charity knitting (where it will be used right up). Even for gifts, I should have enough in the stash for one afghan, a few sweaters, and scrap yarn for squares.

This, of course, will not apply to any yarn bought with gift certificates... :devil

Well, money is going to be extremely tight this year, so my goal is to NOT buy any new yarn, unless it's for charity knitting (where it will be used right up). Even for gifts, I should have enough in the stash for one afghan, a few sweaters, and scrap yarn for squares.

This, of course, will not apply to any yarn bought with gift certificates... :devil

Oooo.... I see a loophole! You can buy your own gift cards, and, as long as you're buying yarn with said gift cards, you're still following your goal!:devil

I have already told my sister I would do to projects for her. After that am going to try my best and not buy any more yarn in 2012. Another thing I'm gonna try and do is post pictures of my projects. I would like feedback. I like seeing others projects so maybe y'all will like seeing mine. If my camera works. It was messing up the other day. Couldn't even take Christmas pics.

Archived