New Bernat Crochetalong - did you see this?

WVUAlesha

:bang Ugh! I ended up redoing the first square for clue #2 five or six times before I got it the right size! I've been crocheting for over ten years, and I'm pretty sure I've got the basics down- don't know what the deal was.:think Okay, rant over.:lol

I'm using Bernat Softee Chunky with a K hook. Here's the pics of my progress so far.

I seem to be having a problem on clue 2 as well. I am however only on my 2nd attempt and just haven't gotten back to it yet. If this one comes out too big, I'll go down a hook size for this square :think

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here we go...

Oh Jeez, it just started pouring outside... would be a perfect "sit at home and crochet" day but I have to work in a couple hours :yes

Nice squares. That purple color is such a nice shade.

And I always find rainy days to be great for staying in and crafting too!

:bang Ugh! I ended up redoing the first square for clue #2 five or six times before I got it the right size! I've been crocheting for over ten years, and I'm pretty sure I've got the basics down- don't know what the deal was.:think Okay, rant over.:lol

I'm using Bernat Softee Chunky with a K hook. Here's the pics of my progress so far.

Nice looking squares. I had some issues with size with clue 2 too. However, being the lazy sort, I didn't bother to redo them. I did 5 rounds rather than 6, and added a sc border to get to 8 inches.

:clap:clap:clapeveryone's squares are so pretty!:clap:clap:clap

I am done with week 1 & 2, and have a pic that I can't get to download to my computer:think:think weird!

I will share as soon as I figure it out:blush

Nice looking squares. I had some issues with size with clue 2 too. However, being the lazy sort, I didn't bother to redo them. I did 5 rounds rather than 6, and added a sc border to get to 8 inches.

I did the same thing with clue #2. It's weird, I typically crochet tighter than others. Either the gauge on this one was smaller than "normal" or I'm loosening up for some reason.

I had some issues with size with clue 2 too. However, being the lazy sort, I didn't bother to redo them. I did 5 rounds rather than 6, and added a sc border to get to 8 inches.

I also did 5 rounds and a sc border to get 8 inches. I used a K hook for the clue 1 and didn't want to change hooks for clue 2, plus it still might not come out right :P

I did the same thing with clue #2. It's weird, I typically crochet tighter than others. Either the gauge on this one was smaller than "normal" or I'm loosening up for some reason.
It must be the gauge, because I also crochet tight, and I wasn't loosening up :lol and I only got 5 rounds plus sc border.

I finished my squares last night :clap I also had some trouble with the guage on this one :think The first square was too large so I took it out and started over. Now I was very conscious of pulling it tighter from my norm and they are actually about 7 3/4 inches, but I'm not taking them out because of 1/4 inch, I think it'll pull ok when I sew the squares together. I'll worry about when we get to that bridge :think If they give me issues, I'll redo them if need be at that point.

Hello! I've finished both clues and am using the suggested colors, but I have to use an I hook because I crochet really loose. At least I know this ahead of time and can adjust accordingly!

I also have to use an I hook- cause I'm a loose crocheter too. so you have company on that front!!!:hook

Its nice to read that many of us had issues with gauge between the first squares and the second squares! I'm with Marisa- I think it'll be fine when I go to join them, but if not, grannies are quick to re-do!

Finally got around to taking pictures of my yarn and squares. I'm gonna try and be better about that in the weeks to come:

Very pretty!

2 more days until another clue! :cheer

So close, yet so far! :lol I don't have any more colors to use since I still don't have my yarn. If it isn't the same as clue 1 or 2, I'm SOL. :rofl

It does seem like a long time between clues, doesn't it?

Nicole, are you waiting for yarn that you ordered?

I'm so lazy. I haven't actually ordered the yarn. :blush I really don't like buying yarn (or anything really) online. So, I went to a few stores this weekend. I had very limited options for the Bernat Chunky yarn in the stores. I'm going to have to get over not wanting to order online. :sigh

Yummy yarns!! I can't wait to see your afghan!

Finally got around to taking pictures of my yarn and squares. I'm gonna try and be better about that in the weeks to come:

Everyone's squares are lookin' good! :tup I can't seem to upload pics from my phone anymore?:shrug... it's very strange:irk

I can't wait to see tomorrow's clue! I wonder if the weeks will feel shorter as the patterns get harder?:think

Everyone's squares are lookin' good! :tup I can't seem to upload pics from my phone anymore?:shrug... it's very strange:irk

I can't wait to see tomorrow's clue! I wonder if the weeks will feel shorter as the patterns get harder?:think

Oh I definitely think the weeks will shorter as the patterns get harder. But I have lots of work to do this week and then the weekend my DD is coming to visit, so I 'll take one more week of easy squares!:lol

I am frustrated, just discovered that my yarn only has 109 yds instead of 180 like Bernat Chunky, that means I will have to find more of it to make this afghan. I have the first two clues done, but now to find a Micaheals that carry more of the red I need and to get some more of each of the other colors, at least one more skein of the only that should only take 2 and probably three of the other two.

Clue #3 is up and we are making 8 of them:eek

Yeah, I just went and took a peek. :eek That means I'm making 16. Hope that doesn't suck the fun right out of it for me. :rofl None for me tonight, will start in on them tomorrow night after work. :hook

just finished my 8, need to tuck tails, maybe get a picture, maybe wait until later after I get some sleep since it is now 3 a.m.:angry, still not tired but have things to do in 3 hours so I need some sleep.:yes

They do work up quickly, I did all 8 in 2 hours. of course it took me almost 3 skeins, I figured out that I need to double the 2 skein colors to 4 skeins, the 6 skeins to 10 skeins and the 7 skeins to 12 based on yardage in the skeins....and I thought I was saving money by buying this brand. :eek:blushnot too smart

Just saw the clue and this week will not be so long between clues since we are making 8 squares! And I am working extra hours this week, and this weekend my DD is coming to visit from Boston and we will be out and about. At least they look easy!!!

Archived