New Bernat Crochetalong - did you see this?

WVUAlesha

Yeah, I just went and took a peek. :eek That means I'm making 16. Hope that doesn't suck the fun right out of it for me. :rofl None for me tonight, will start in on them tomorrow night after work. :hook

I think you'll be ok this week, they look like an easy workup :D

just finished my 8, need to tuck tails, maybe get a picture, maybe wait until later after I get some sleep since it is now 3 a.m.:angry, still not tired but have things to do in 3 hours so I need some sleep.:yes

They do work up quickly, I did all 8 in 2 hours. of course it took me almost 3 skeins, I figured out that I need to double the 2 skein colors to 4 skeins, the 6 skeins to 10 skeins and the 7 skeins to 12 based on yardage in the skeins....and I thought I was saving money by buying this brand. :eek:blushnot too smart

Wow, WTG!!!! getting them done already and in 2 hours :clap I think mine will take a bit longer, I don't think I move that quickly :think Sorry about the yarn dilemma :hug I've done that before too and forgot to check the yardage :(

Just saw the clue and this week will not be so long between clues since we are making 8 squares! And I am working extra hours this week, and this weekend my DD is coming to visit from Boston and we will be out and about. At least they look easy!!!

I think you'll be alright since it's an easy square again :yes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, can I just comment on some frustration for a minute?! We all had a little trouble working up square 2 to reach the proper sizing :think And the pattern posted definitely called for 6 rounds :think Why is the square done by whoever is leading this and posted up by bernat for us to use as comparison is only 5 rounds? :think

Just wondering if anyone else noticed :lol I won't worry about being so specific in the future :no

Okay, can I just comment on some frustration for a minute?! We all had a little trouble working up square 2 to reach the proper sizing :think And the pattern posted definitely called for 6 rounds :think Why is the square done by whoever is leading this and posted up by bernat for us to use as comparison is only 5 rounds? :think

Just wondering if anyone else noticed :lol I won't worry about being so specific in the future :no

I definitely noticed. I'm hoping that it's just a mistake on their part, but who knows? The important thing is that your square is the right size, regardless of rounds.

That is definitely frustrating! I'm glad I didn't spend too much time trying to get it right. I wonder if it should have been five rounds to begin with. Typically, I tend to crochet tightly. It's rare that I don't have to add extra rounds to squares.

Definitely! I switched to a J hook at first but the square was small, so I switched back to the K...and five rows. :sigh

, I figured out that I need to double the 2 skein colors to 4 skeins, the 6 skeins to 10 skeins and the 7 skeins to 12 based on yardage in the skeins....and I thought I was saving money by buying this brand. :eek:blushnot too smart

I went to get more yarn today and Michaels still doesn't have enough red for my afghan and I bought 3 more today....I still need 2 more and they have no idea when they will come in. I did get 2 skeins of green and 4 skeins of natural when my daughter took her yarn back and bought the Bernat instead. I still need to pick up the extra red and 2 more skeins of gold. I am so frustrated that this is costing me so much as the yarn went back up in price in the past 4 days too:angry

I went to get more yarn today and Michaels still doesn't have enough red for my afghan and I bought 3 more today....I still need 2 more and they have no idea when they will come in. I did get 2 skeins of green and 4 skeins of natural when my daughter took her yarn back and bought the Bernat instead. I still need to pick up the extra red and 2 more skeins of gold. I am so frustrated that this is costing me so much as the yarn went back up in price in the past 4 days too:angry

What kind of yarn are you using again? I decided today (about 20 minutes ago) that I'm not going to use Bernat Softee Chunky. It's too hard for me to get my hands on. I'm going to use Red Heart. I have plenty of that in my stash and will only need to buy a few skeins. I'm just going to adjust the patterns to get 8 inches in that size yarn.

What kind of yarn are you using again? I decided today (about 20 minutes ago) that I'm not going to use Bernat Softee Chunky. It's too hard for me to get my hands on. I'm going to use Red Heart. I have plenty of that in my stash and will only need to buy a few skeins. I'm just going to adjust the patterns to get 8 inches in that size yarn.

Adjusting the pattern is a great idea, I am using Michaels brand CHARISMA (loops and Threads), I am frustrated because the store refused to have some sent up from a store that is 40 minures away, they have 11 skeins of it. I just ordered Bernat Chunky for my daughter after buying her some at Michaels today, I will save more thn $10 ordering it online even including $10 for shipping:devil So it is off to Michaels and to tell them that I am returning more yarn, because I found it cheaper by 1.29 a skein and when you buy 19 skeins it makes a difference.

Adjusting the pattern is a great idea, I am using Michaels brand CHARISMA (loops and Threads), I am frustrated because the store refused to have some sent up from a store that is 40 minures away, they have 11 skeins of it. I just ordered Bernat Chunky for my daughter after buying her some at Michaels today, I will save more thn $10 ordering it online even including $10 for shipping:devil So it is off to Michaels and to tell them that I am returning more yarn, because I found it cheaper by 1.29 a skein and when you buy 19 skeins it makes a difference.

Absolutely! Here, they are $3.49 a skein. I can buy it online for $2.18 a skein. Seems silly to spend the extra. Once I did some thinking, it seemed ever more silly for me to buy 19 skeins of yarn when I have plenty of yarn at home to use.

I have a lot of Red Heart too, but I make afghans all year, plus rectangles for the troops so I didn't mind buying some for this but I am mad it is costing me $102 to make it:eek If I hadn't done the first three clues already I would start over.:yes I am giving it away when I am done for Christmas and the only one that I can thnk nof giving it too is well worth the money and time, just frustrated with my lack of a clue to beging with LOL Who would have thought that the same weight of yarn (3.5 oz/100g) with be 71 yards different in length....obviously not silly me.

I get where you're coming from. I, on the other hand, rarely make afghans. It's not a hobby of mine. I do like making squares though and this sounded interesting.

I've decided to go with the following colors -

Contrast A - Black

Contrast B - Turqua

Contrast C - Shocking Pink

Contrast D - Hot Orange

Contrast E - Spring Green (very bright green)

I get where you're coming from. I, on the other hand, rarely make afghans. It's not a hobby of mine. I do like making squares though and this sounded interesting.

I've decided to go with the following colors -

Contrast A - Black

Contrast B - Turqua

Contrast C - Shocking Pink

Contrast D - Hot Orange

Contrast E - Spring Green (very bright green)

those sound awesome, it makes me think of Red Heart Bikini...minus the black of course.

Here is a picture of the ones I have finished and the colors of the other two I haven't worked with yet, it made me realize, I still need to buy more brown too:eekDarn that makes it even more expensive, twice what I would have paid if I would have bought Bernat online for myself.:angry

post-5258-135897582441_thumb.jpg

I finished my 8 squares! :clap

I ended up using the J hook for these and adding 3 to the original chain (adds one V-st). I ended up using almost 2 skeins on the 8 squares (I could have made one more square).

Did anyone else change the "ch-4" into "ch-3" at the beginning of the rows? I thought the hole looked way too big with the ch-4...then I realized that the first row into the fondation chain only has a ch-3 at the beginning to count for the dc-ch1...typo or pattern error maybe? :crocheting

I finished my 8 squares! :clap

I ended up using the J hook for these and adding 3 to the original chain (adds one V-st). I ended up using almost 2 skeins on the 8 squares (I could have made one more square).

Did anyone else change the "ch-4" into "ch-3" at the beginning of the rows? I thought the hole looked way too big with the ch-4...then I realized that the first row into the fondation chain only has a ch-3 at the beginning to count for the dc-ch1...typo or pattern error maybe? :crocheting

WTG on finishing all 8 squares!:clap:clap

I just finished the 1st of 8 clue #3 squares. I did do ch-3 at the beginning of the row. I also had to do ch 28 instead of ch 25 to get 8 inches across. I use an I hook since I crochet loosely. I've used it for all of the squares so far. By doing the ch 28 and the turning ch 3, the square measures 8X8!!!!

7 more to make!!!

WTG on finishing all 8 squares!:clap:clap

I just finished the 1st of 8 clue #3 squares. I did do ch-3 at the beginning of the row. I also had to do ch 28 instead of ch 25 to get 8 inches across. I use an I hook since I crochet loosely. I've used it for all of the squares so far. By doing the ch 28 and the turning ch 3, the square measures 8X8!!!!

7 more to make!!!

Wish I would have seen this post before I made 7 of the darn squares! :angry Oh well, hopefully it will all work out!

Wish I would have seen this post before I made 7 of the darn squares! :angry Oh well, hopefully it will all work out!

It'll be fine I'm sure.

I usually read the CAL here, the Bernat Blog and the Bernat CAL group on Ravelry before starting my squares --I usually pick up some good tips on working the squares:hook!

FWIW- From what I understand, Michael's doesn't have a system that allows them to transfer merchandise from store to store. So unless the stores are on the same delivery truck route, there's no easy way for them to move stuff between stores. They would have to have an employee or manager make the run, and, for an 80 minute round trip, they would have to pay the employee their hourly wage plus mileage- not to mention the insurance they would have to carry in case the employee got into a car accident while on the clock.... I could see them doing it if someone was already going that direction, but otherwise it doesn't seem cost effective.:think

Their Charisma yarn is fairly new, so I'm sure it'll go on sale again. You could always ask for a raincheck to lock in that sale price if they don't have what you need.

Great find on the sale! $1.29 x 19= :eek It definately pays to shop around for deals when planning big yarn purchases. Personally, I hate paying full retail for yarn; I usually stock up when I find a great sale or buy them one at a time with the 40% coupons.

Since there's still plenty of time with this CAL, it may pay off to wait for another sale on the Charisma yarn. - great colors! :)

FWIW- From what I understand, Michael's doesn't have a system that allows them to transfer merchandise from store to store. So unless the stores are on the same delivery truck route, there's no easy way for them to move stuff between stores. They would have to have an employee or manager make the run, and, for an 80 minute round trip, they would have to pay the employee their hourly wage plus mileage- not to mention the insurance they would have to carry in case the employee got into a car accident while on the clock.... I could see them doing it if someone was already going that direction, but otherwise it doesn't seem cost effective.:think

:)

I guess I was too used to working for Wal-Mart where they would do anything for customer service. I made a mistake buying from Michaels as I have now waited 4 weeks for them to get the yarn and what really frustrated me is that I HAD a raincheck, and instead of calling me when they did get the yarn in....they put what they had on the shelf. I was in the store every other day to check on it. I am not saying that all Michaels are like this, but since I was in there more than 6 times in the past three weeks looking for it, I was hoping there was a way to get it to me from the other store. I will take the trip to Herrschner's which is in the same city as the other Michaels store and have fun petting yarn there and pick out a different yarn. I may just find the receipt for the yarn I haven't used yet as an excuse to go to Herrschner's and find all the yarn I need, hubby may beleive me that I can't get the rest and allow me the trip...after all he :manyheartme LOL

just finished my 8, need to tuck tails, maybe get a picture, maybe wait until later after I get some sleep since it is now 3 a.m.:angry, still not tired but have things to do in 3 hours so I need some sleep.:yes

They do work up quickly, I did all 8 in 2 hours. of course it took me almost 3 skeins, I figured out that I need to double the 2 skein colors to 4 skeins, the 6 skeins to 10 skeins and the 7 skeins to 12 based on yardage in the skeins....and I thought I was saving money by buying this brand. :eek:blushnot too smart

Good for you!!!

I'm mostly useing stash yarn too. I bought two skeins of green yarn, even though I had a green that would have worked in my stash. The green I bought is a little brighter, since I thought that the afghan needed a little bit of a pop.

So far I haven't had any problems getting the squares to the right size.

I'm mostly useing stash yarn too. I bought two skeins of green yarn, even though I had a green that would have worked in my stash. The green I bought is a little brighter, since I thought that the afghan needed a little bit of a pop.

So far I haven't had any problems getting the squares to the right size.

I didn't have any trouble getting to the right size last night either. Bernat Softee Chunky is a thinner bulky weight, thankfully. It makes life easier.

On the blog, there was one Bernant employee that's doing the blog. She is using Bernat Alpaca. That stuff is glorious, but costs $5 a skein. It's only 3.5 ounces, too. I guess if I worked for them and got a discount it wouldn't be so bad.

Archived