What's Your Least Favorite Crocheted Item?

Or...what would you never ever make, no matter what?

Mine is drawstring bags...I don't know why...I just don't like them...they can be very pretty, and are practical I know as the drawstring makes a nice closure, but I just don't like them...no particular reason...just don't.

So what's YOUR least favorite crocheted item?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never make kitschy stuff like toilet paper covers, tissue box covers, or those little dresses for dishsoap bottles. And towel toppers. I can't stand them! To me, those things aren't cute, and have no use - I keep toilet paper under the sink, my tissue boxes and soap bottles don't need clothes, and I like to carry my towel with me in the kitchen, not have it tethered down. No offense at all to those who love those things, you can make all you want. You'll just never catch one on my hook! :lol

I also don't care for anything that has to do with a doll or a clown - like bed dolls, or especially those creepy disembodied doll faces that get crocheted into wall hangings and such - like this one:

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/clutterscorner/item/a1694?hgtv=1

Seriously, doesn't that give anyone else the creeps?! :yuck

I should make the disclaimer that I don't like dolls or clowns. Love stuffed animals, just no dolls or clowns!

My least favorite thing may well be somebody else's favorite:laughroll

And what I want to make today may be very different than what I want to make a month from now. Until very recently I had no desire to crochet socks, but then the Loopy Ewe CAL came along.....

I really don't like Red Heart Super Saver, and have been on the verge of tossing what I have of it, but then I used it to make some ami birds which my granddaughters love, so i may even buy more colors of it for more ami---which I also previously had no desire to make and didn't see the point of (with a few notable VERY cute exceptions), until I needed Easter presents and didn't want to pay $10 for a stuffed chick.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, and one's eye can change:dreaming

My dislikes are: Round Ripples or Bear blankets, Stuffed Animals or Dolls, or Baby cloths

(dresses, booties Etc.).

No offense to anyone that makes them. IMO I don't like them.

jaye

I guess we all have our favorites and thank goodness there are so many choices for crochted items!! :manyheart

I don't get amigurami animals and dolls. They look very creepy to me and I would never make one. I guess because I don't have little kids and have no use for them. I also don't like to wear crocheted items unless it is a scarf. I still think of some crocheted wearables that are for OLD Ladies and I don't want to be an old lady!! I did buy a cute sweater pattern this year that I plan to make with thin yarn , but it has a hood and looks comtemporary in style. :manyheart

I absolutely hate stuff like this

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80995AD.html?noImages=

It gives all of us a bad name and takes us from being Interesting to being psychiatrically challenged. No same person could wear that without shame. LB has a tradition of stuff like that. I think it buys into the whole -crochet is less than- on a subconscious level.

:rofl didn't know they had a crochet motorcycle cover well I'm not sure what I wouldn't crochet because it tends to be too many then I forget

I absolutely hate stuff like this

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80995AD.html?noImages=

It gives all of us a bad name and takes us from being Interesting to being psychiatrically challenged. No same person could wear that without shame. LB has a tradition of stuff like that. I think it buys into the whole -crochet is less than- on a subconscious level.

I agree there are a lot of Lion Brand patterns I'm not in love with...but I feel the same about their knitting patterns, not just the crochet ones. That flower motif scarf is not that bad, to me. It's all in the interpretation: take that motif, make it in smaller yarn and somewhat different colors, and you can have something like this http://www.dyestudiowoolshop.co.uk/queenies-cassia-crochet-mobius-scarf-pdf-pattern-2348-p.asp which I think is lovely.

The motorcycle cover is not one of my favorites!

It's ART :artist It's not supposed to have a practical purpose or necessarily be pleasant to look at ;):lol

And as soon as I say I am not wild about the plastic doll faces with crochet around them, I'll find out someone in my family wants one for some reason:lol

I would never make kitschy stuff like toilet paper covers, tissue box covers, or those little dresses for dishsoap bottles. To me, those things aren't cute, and have no use - I keep toilet paper under the sink, my tissue boxes and soap bottles don't need clothes, and I like to carry my towel with me in the kitchen, not have it tethered down. No offense at all to those who love those things, you can make all you want. You'll just never catch one on my hook! :lol

Ditto!!

i don't like toilet seat covers and toilet tank covers. Just thinking about the germs... Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

great big "ditto"!!!!!! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Ha Ha Ha ...I actually made that scarf (lion Brand) only I used a very dark blue, medium blue good quality yarn and Ive received nothing but compliments. But in the colors they show yuck!! As for things I hate..bed dolls, defenitely creepy, alien looking stuffed toys, and anything for the bathroom,toilet tank and seat covers, tp covers germ city!! also i dont think i would waste my time with scrubbies, all my hard work to scrub a greasy pan with it.

Anything that has alot of pieces to be sewn together. I hate sewing! Although I will make a granny square afghan and sew the pieces as I go. I don't like making stuffed animals or stuffed dolls. It's hard for me to get the legs and arms sewn right (again with the sewing). And anything with tons of color changes. Although I take the time to weave the ends through, I'm always afraid of unraveling.

If I'm going to spend the time and effort that it takes to crochet something, it will be something useful. Crocheted "food" or ami "creatures" ? Some are cute but I wouldn't know what to do with them. But then, some may not like what I like to crochet either. What a dull world it would be if we all had the same taste in things.

I have have a hard time with sweaters. I just cant seem to get the guage correct. I have 3 sweaters that are unwearable. Now my husband wants me to finish his and trying to adjust the arms so they will set into the front and back pieces is such a chore. I hate it. I prefer items where the guage is not so important.

I don't think I would ever do the toilet paper covers, but I guess I can see how some folks would find them cute. But for me the worst of all are the bed dolls and ones for the wall. I agree - they are creepy. I would however, do doll clothes, like for Dora or Barbie. There are some fabulous doll clothes patterns here.

I have a TP cover on my WIM list. I will make it for my sister because when I started crocheting again she made jokes about the TP covers!

(fyi - we had a red hat tp cover in the bathroom growing up. A neighbor made it for us and it was so silly it bacame kinda cute.)

tp covers germ city!! .

Ok, I don't quite get this one. How do germs get on a TP cozy sitting on a shelf?

I admit to loving TP cozies but I also see why others don't. I just can't see any connection to germs. :think

An afghan (or anything else) in lime green (a little girl's favorite color). It actually made me ill to work on. I finally got it made and swore to never make anything in that color again :eek

I wouldn't rule out any category, but I'm not fond of crocheted cables. I think they usually look kind of heavy and I can't make them look nice (of course I have seen some other people have done that look fine). I also am ready to give up on wearables. Even if the gauge swatch is OK, the finished product never fits (I never have this problem with sewing---in fact I make all of my own clothes except sweaters).

Archived