2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

Help !!!!! Help!!!!!! My wonderful hubby went out to get his truck fixed today and came home with 1 dozen donuts from Shoppers. If anyone knows about Shoppers, they make the biggest donuts in the world. They advertise them as the Collossall donuts and each one is at least 3-4 inches long and 1-2 inches wide with enough filling (whatever you want) to choke on. They are absolutely delicious !!! Each one is a meal in itself!!! and the man brought home 12 of these monsters. I love him but....... TODAY of all days - the day I start my diet. I did have one with raspberry jelly inside, but that was lunch. Back to cleaning.... just needed to vent. Thanks.

Oh do I remember those doughnuts! I used to have 2 of them every morning for breakfast when I lived in MD. It's probably a good thing there are no Shoppers here in MO!

For anyone who's never had a shopper's donut.. they are AWESOME! They are a very close second behind Krispy Kreme. Some of the flavors are better than KK... and that's saying alot! LOL

Okay... now I'm craving doughnuts... :sigh

Edited by CrochetAmore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Need suggestions for exercise.

I live in a small apartment in a very small rural town. There's no room for large equipment. As far as outdoor activity, the roads are not very wide and are somewhat dangerous for bikers & pedestrians. There are no sidewalks. The closest mall is over an hour away, etc... So I feel like my exercise options are limited.

Does anyone else have a similar situation? What do you do for exercise?

Ally- so tell me, how does the South Beach Diet work? Is is tough? I have the book..... have the book.... have had it for years.... never read it. Keep it in a drawer with my cook books. Never had to diet before. Now am on heart meds and blood pressure meds and keep gaining. Used to go to the gym.... health reasons stopped me and I can't get motivated to go back.

Gardener: I feel your pain. I am so disgusted with myself I can't seem to move to do anything about it. I have never been this heavy in my life!!

Venting is so good.........

South Beach is one diet that I have consistently lost weight on. I just find it hard to keep up because the rest of my family won't eat like that, so I am buying two different types of food and cooking two different types of meals. After a while I get tired of it. I consider it to be a pretty healthy diet too.

I think I'm going to have to throw in making squares for exercising! I AND exercise, so I think that will be just perfect!

Now that is a wonderful idea. I'm going to borrow that one.

I live in a small apartment in a very small rural town. There's no room for large equipment. As far as outdoor activity, the roads are not very wide and are somewhat dangerous for bikers & pedestrians. There are no sidewalks. The closest mall is over an hour away, etc... So I feel like my exercise options are limited.

We bought me a fold-up-treadmill...awesome! You might want to look into a step or total gym/pilates platform.

Tia- I'm thinking about joining....

I wanted to post the water recipe...it is such an easy way to drink more water..it makes you think your drinking something forbidden on a weight loss menu.

Tia- I'm thinking about joining....

I wanted to post the water recipe...it is such an easy way to drink more water..it makes you think your drinking something forbidden on a weight loss menu.

Thank you for the recipe! Everybody is welcome to post and I think it's great that some are thinking about joining. I just wanted to be sure I hadn't forgotten anybody. :)

Well, I was going to join the Y this week, but sadly finances won't allow. I should be able to do it soon, but not quite yet. So I pulled out my old Bodyflex Gym Bar and found that the rubber band had gotten old. I'm going to try to replace the rubber band before I buy another one. It works well if you use it regularly! :lol It's the regularly part I've always had trouble with.... but it's a new year, and time to start exercising for my health, so I'm going to try to replace the band and give it a shot. I have trouble with my feet and knees and until I lose this weight, I can't just go walking or take the stairs or any other type of exercise that requires my full body weight to be on my feet and knees. So off to Academy I go to look for a band that might work. I did contact the company and inquire about a replacement band, but they said they don't sell them separately.

Yay! I lost another lb this week to bring my total to 10 lbs.....I get to make another square!!!!

I just did my first Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds dvd (1 mile) and WOW! It's great! I also live in an old apartment.....but it worked out well!

I live in a huge house , but it is so old, we just have lots of tiny rooms. I have gone to dvd's now for my winter exercising. I am in the same kind of area as you.

I was thinking about joining something like netflicks for a way to get a new one every day or two (they let you watch them online instantly if you pick the plan that is around $14 monthly). I think it would be the cheapest way to get variety, and you can cancel anytime. For me, that's as soon as spring comes.

For any one that lives in a two story house, start taking the stairs two at a time. It is really hard to do the first week but it gets progressively easier. The best bonus is that it works the butt muscles as well as the legs. No more drooping butt!:yay

If you can't find another band, what about using sewing elastic? it comes in all widths and is relatively inexpensive.

Went back to WW yesterday after a 2 month hiatus. Though I gained 2 lbs., I'm still down 12 lbs. So I'm going to start my afghan with those 12 granny squares. It'll give me some "exercise" for the next few days.:lol

Try yoga, there are different kinds of yoga such as pilates and hatha. I used to have small weights. Do the house chores like vacumming or declutter in different spots. Anything to keep you moving all the time like mall walking or walk around the department stores.

I was thinking about joining something like netflicks for a way to get a new one every day or two (they let you watch them online instantly if you pick the plan that is around $14 monthly). I think it would be the cheapest way to get variety' date=' and you can cancel anytime. For me, that's as soon as spring comes.[/color']

Be sure to check your local library!

Ours has lots of work-out tapes and DVDs.

Kellie, thanks for the idea about the elastic! I'll keep it in mind! :hug

I picked up a magazine last night that I've barely been able to put down....

It's the annual Better Homes and Gardens Diet 2009 issue. It's got lots of helpful tips, recipes, articles about overcoming obstacles, etc. It's priced a bit steep for a magazine, but if you come across it, take a moment to look through it and see if you think it's worth it. I'm glad I got it. I'm doing WW, but there are lots of things that will help me. There's also a summary of several different diets, in case you aren't sure what'll work for you.

One of the articles is about how to avoid snacking at night, and I know there are some of you who have mentioned that as being a problem.... ;)

Everybody have a good day! :cheer

I joined weight watchers a couple years ago and lost 40 pounds on their points system. it was by far the best program i have been on. it is all about moderation, and nothing is off limits completely. if you fall off and overeat you just use up some of your extra points, and get back on track. it seems like anything deemed "forbidden" becomes EXACTLY what you crave, so if nothing is completely cut out of your diet, everything in moderation, it lessens the "hold" it has over you. it always helps me too, to think of this as a healthy change, as opposed to a "diet".

Checking in today. I weighted in and lost 5.2lbs my first week on SB:clap:clap Time for me to start working on my afghan I've got 5 hexagons to make

Arlinka~ Oh it's a wonderful diet well way of living. The first two weeks are the worst no carbs at all. No pasta, potatoes, white flour stuff like that you detoxic from it. And start to feel yucky but then you get to feeling great and tons of energy. I say read the book its wonderful.

ajandbellasmom ~ sounds yummy no oranges darn but will be trying it soon.

Cindy~ That would be hard fixing two different things. I fix all the meals so they have no choice and my husband is on the diet with me so he doesn't mind. And the kids love it so no biggie.

Checking in today. I weighted in and lost 5.2lbs my first week on SB:clap:clap Time for me to start working on my afghan I've got 5 hexagons to make

Congrats!!!! :hug:cheer:clap

I'd like to jump on this. Seems like I'm always making things for everyone else. This would be an afghan just for me. I have lots of patterns with stickies marking my favorites. Just need to pick one and see if I have the yarn or get to go shopping!

Since the first I have gone out for a walk twice.:clap

Now, if I could only decide what I want to make for me. :hookI'm banking those walks. How fun it will be once I get started to crochet, and crochet, and crochet on it!:crocheting

So I don't lose track, I'm putting a red dot on the calendar every day I actually walk, with or without the dogs.

Kellie- I'm with you on marking a calendar! I'm actually keeping track in 5 different places for exercise, 3 for weight loss, 3 for my water consumption and 2 places for remembering to take my multivitamin- not including this thread. :lol The more I write it down the better I feel about it.

Congrats to those who have lost!! :cheer:cheer And for those maintaining- I know it's disappointing, but maintaining is really hard! This is practice for when you hit your goal! :clap

Ok, today is day #4, with no slip-ups so far! (I haven't smoked a cigarette) I owe myself 4 squares so far. I finally decided what pattern I am using too. It is the Crochet Sampler Afghan from the Lion Brand website. I am using Vanna's Choice in Dusty Purple, and an "n" hook.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/20124AD.html

I haven't weighed myself, as I am too nervous that I may be gaining...so I think for this first week, I will just focus on not smoking, and start worrying about what I am eating after that...in the meantime though, I did get on my treadmill for 30 minutes today.

Hope everyone is doing well in their fight to reach their goals!!!

Gina - I would definitely NOT worry about losing weight AND quitting smoking at the same time. Reward yourself for not smoking, but just be conscious of what you are substituting for that "oral fix"... I wouldn't worry about weight loss/gain at this point. What you're doing is much too important to get tangled in weight loss as well. JMO, though.

Okay, Tia, I found my "just for me" project.

It is the Jamaica Ginger afghan from www.freevintagepatterns.com .

I'm thinking of doing it in a bulkier yarn and I think if I do the colors right, I could make it look like basketweave. Being all single crochet, it should be thick and warm!:yay

Now, if I can only keep from giving it to my sister for Christmas.