2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

I purchased the yarn for my afghan today. I splurged BIG TIME!!!! B-i-g t-i-m-e. I almost feel sick about it but then again I need something to help encourage me to lose weight and I really love the pattern and yarn so i better lose the weight so I can finish this afghan. :hook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am back in town. I think I will start my afghan on Jan 6th, Tuesday. I tend to check my scale on Tuesdays. I will decide on the pattern on the Monday beforehand.

Good news, I lost a pound during xmas week. :)

:cheer I want to join with the weight loss - I really REALLY need to get with a program and stick with it! I want to lose AT LEAST 70 POUNDS in 2009 :eek!

I don't know yet what afghan pattern to use - will have to check my stash and make up my mind, but definitely want to do this!!!

:2eek Have to work on getting my mind wrapped around this, tho, cause the word DIET instantly makes me want chocolate! :blush So - it's NOT a diet - it's a new lifestyle! :yes

If anyone needs some inspiration, check out www.lisagriffis.com

She dropped 200 pounds in two years. Makes me wonder why I am whining about my weight. If she can do it, why can't I??

Oh my! Talk about inspiring! I SO want to get that book she talks about! I printed out some of her entries so that I can read them at my leisure. Thank you so much for posting the link to her site!

I purchased the yarn for my afghan today. I splurged BIG TIME!!!! B-i-g t-i-m-e. I almost feel sick about it but then again I need something to help encourage me to lose weight and I really love the pattern and yarn so i better lose the weight so I can finish this afghan. :hook

:c9 it sure is going to be wonderful though!!!

:party Hapyy New Year and Happy New You!!!

Wow. :sigh I'm frustrated with my pattern and yarn colors.

The pattern says to make footballs individually. It has color changes for the lacing. So each football would have 10 ends if I did it that way, and I wasn't even happy with the end result. They didn't look right to me. SO (of course) I figured out a way to do a strip of footballs. Just in the one brown. Two ends per strip. Then I'm planning to stitch the football stitching on them. I did a sample, and it looked nice. Even DH said it looked better than the original.

So OK. I'm going to make strips instead of each individual football. Then I realized that my football strip sides and their pattern sides weren't exactly the same, so now I'd have to change the way I outlined each strip. Yep, I got that figured out, I think. It looks pretty good.

So now after basically re-working the whole pattern into something I won't mind making, I'm not happy with the colors I chose. The purple and brown are too dark together. I have "espresso" and "deep violet". I need to change one of them to a lighter shade. DH says I should just change the purple so that I won't have to re-do the football strip.... But the only other purple in this yarn is called "iris" and it looks a LOT lighter online. Not to mention the fact that JoAnn's didn't even have it when I bought my yarn the other day.

I guess I'm off to Hobby Lobby today (30 miles away!) to see if they have "iris" and what it looks like in person.

I know I'll like it when I get it all just right, but right now I'm fed up! I told DH that if I have to remake the footballs in a lighter brown, I could turn this strip into a matching scarf and wrapped it around my neck. He just rolled his eyes at me. :shrug

Edited by happy stitcher

I think it's always better to redo something you're not happy with and get it the way you want. Otherwise, you'll always look at it and shake your head, wishing you'd changed it.

And I think a matching scarf is a great idea! :yes

Hope you can find the yarn you are looking for.

I think it's always better to redo something you're not happy with and get it the way you want. Otherwise, you'll always look at it and shake your head, wishing you'd changed it.

And I think a matching scarf is a great idea! :yes

Hope you can find the yarn you are looking for.

Thanks Teresa!

I agree - it's best to get it right, but I wish I had it right from the beginning! :lol

I think I may call Hobby Lobby before I drive out there....if they can tell me whether they have the yarn, then maybe I won't drive out there in vain. And if they don't have "iris" I'll have to put this project aside while I order it and wait for it to come in. Of course even then the color may not be right! :P

Wow! I just played Dance Dance Revolution (for Playstation 2) for the first time today. And it is awesome! I'm having sooo much fun. I'm only on training mode and I'm getting a good workout. Though my left ankle seems to want to give way on me, but a good ankle brace from the drug store should take care of that.

We got it at Best Buy just before Christmas. The price on it was $39.99 I believe, but it rang up at the register for $15.99!!! That's for the game and the pad! :yay

(I was worried I would be too heavy for it, but it didn't state anything about a weight limit.)

Edited by Tia

If anyone needs some inspiration, check out www.lisagriffis.com

She dropped 200 pounds in two years. Makes me wonder why I am whining about my weight. If she can do it, why can't I??

That is an inspiring blog! :yes

I've been doing a great job with my water, but my food choices... less than stellar. But I've got my portions under control. And I'm actually excited to go for my second run today.

:clap okie dokie, just got home from Michael's 70% off yarn sale and have decided what I am going to do - instead of an afghan, I am going to do dishcloths! It's the same as making a 6" block for an afghan, but then I'll

have Christmas gifts made for my friends for 2009! WhaaaaHoooooo!!! :hook

So - I think I'll do one pattern for each 5 pounds that I lose - not one block, one pattern! So if I can make 3 or 4 of one pattern then lose another 5 pounds, I get to change patterns! Might do some in crochet and some in knit - as I'm a relatively new knitter (thanks to my friends in my Monday and Friday in-person groups), maybe I can learn different knit stitches - and add to my crochet knowledge as well by trying different

patterns.....:devil

Yes, I just bought 8 different colors of Sugar and Cream for the dishcloths - and some sock yarn and some wonderful other yarns. Hee hee hee, this works well with the 2009 Yarn Diet from one of my groups over on Ravelry! :yay:yarn:hook:cheer:woo:drool

Great idea Jozzie!

I just opened my mail, and there is a free registration card to Weight Watchers in it. There's also one to give to a friend. Since I'm already doing WW online, and I'm sure everybody in the WW support thread is already registered, I thought I'd offer them here. If you're interested, PM me with your address, and whether you want one or both. First come, first served. I'm going by the post office when I get out, so I can mail them today if you're fast enough!

After fooling around with the cyan pattern, I have decided against it. It looks beautiful in the picture, but is much loopier in real life. And with 7 children I just don't think all those loops on my bed would be a good thing, lol.

So, I'll be doing the yo-yo afghan which I think will look pretty and be much more child friendly, lol.

I decided to just make yo-yo's on a regular basis and then for every pound assemble a row of the afghan. My initial measurements show I'll need to make 45 rows to make it the size I want for my bed, so that would be 45 lbs. :)

Welcome keeperofthehome4! :manyheart That's a pretty afghan! Since it calls for 145 whole hexagons, and 10 halves (which I counted as 5 wholes) that comes to 150. So, I'd just do one per lb. And then assemble 1/3 of the afghan for each of the other three lbs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

bigfunfam - I changed your afghan to Yo Yo, do you have a link to the particular one you're doing?

Edited by Tia

The doorbell rang and a wonderful yound lady had a huge box of my deep purple Caron Country.....:jumpyay $75 worth of beautiful, wonderful soft yarn just for me!!!!

I lost 5.5 pounds this week so I am ready to make the first strip of my MAM afghan :yay

I had 2 Caron pounders in a burgundy color. Wasn't sure if I liked them. When I went to Michaels today I didn't love any of the other colors there either so I bought 2 pounders in Ivory and will use the burgundy after all. The pounders were on sale for $5. each. So my afghan will cost $10.00.

I just opened my mail, and there is a free registration card to Weight Watchers in it. There's also one to give to a friend. Since I'm already doing WW online, and I'm sure everybody in the WW support thread is already registered, I thought I'd offer them here. If you're interested, PM me with your address, and whether you want one or both. First come, first served. I'm going by the post office when I get out, so I can mail them today if you're fast enough!

I still have these! Nobody has pm'd me. If you want them, don't hesitate! You'll still have the regular fees, but not the registration fee, and if I remember correctly, that's about $30. It's a pretty good coupon! :yes