2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

Tia, I think I'm going to do something just a bit different. I'm doing WW, but having a hard time lately actually caring about tracking my points. :sigh So, I am going to change mine to doing one motif each day that I stay on track with counting and following my points guidelines. I want to reward myself for changing my eating habits, not the end result. I've got to do the first to get to teh last!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that's an excellent plan, Krystal. In fact, that's exactly the way it started for me a couple years ago. I got tired of trying to 'diet' and decided to just try and eat better and exercise more. I started hiking last spring and I fell in love with that! Even though I could barely hike a half an hour. Now I can go for up to 3 hrs. depending on the trail. This spring I plan to get my bicycle in working order and add that to my exercising.

Help !!!!! Help!!!!!! My wonderful hubby went out to get his truck fixed today and came home with 1 dozen donuts from Shoppers. If anyone knows about Shoppers, they make the biggest donuts in the world. They advertise them as the Collossall donuts and each one is at least 3-4 inches long and 1-2 inches wide with enough filling (whatever you want) to choke on. They are absolutely delicious !!! Each one is a meal in itself!!! and the man brought home 12 of these monsters. I love him but....... TODAY of all days - the day I start my diet. I did have one with raspberry jelly inside, but that was lunch. Back to cleaning.... just needed to vent. Thanks.

Edited by Arlinka

I think this crochet-a-long is a great idea..it's nice to have support when you are trying to do something so difficult and stressful. even nicer to know you arent alone. i have ten pounds to lose, but! i quit smoking as my new years resolution, and am struggling with this hurdle first! my concern is that by the time i make it past this one, i will be more like 20 pounds over where i want to be. i'd like to join this group, but am not sure how to incorporate both staying smoke free and at LEAST maintaining my weight until i can stabalize myself enough to get going on my weight loss again. UGH.

anyway- i wanted to show my support and admiration for those that are taking steps to make such positive changes in their lives!

i'd like to join this group, but am not sure how to incorporate both staying smoke free and at LEAST maintaining my weight until i can stabalize myself enough to get going on my weight loss again. UGH.

First, CONGRATULATIONS on choosing to quit smoking! That's the best thing you can do for yourself!

If I were you, I'd do two afghans. One very large one - a motif for each day you don't smoke. One smaller one for each pound you lose. A lapghan, maybe.

That's just a suggestion, but I think the CAL could work for not smoking, too!

Gina - I've never been a smoker, but I have read that you're supposed to replace your old smoking times and habits with non-calorie things, etc.

Also, they have shown that the MORE stopping methods you use (patch, hypnosis, gums, etc.) the better your success rate. Cold turkey only has like a 4% success rate. Each thing you add on to help you increases your likelihood of success.

First, CONGRATULATIONS on choosing to quit smoking! That's the best thing you can do for yourself!

If I were you, I'd do two afghans. One very large one - a motif for each day you don't smoke. One smaller one for each pound you lose. A lapghan, maybe.

That's just a suggestion, but I think the CAL could work for not smoking, too!

I think that's a great idea!

Help !!!!! Help!!!!!! My wonderful hubby went out to get his truck fixed today and came home with 1 dozen donuts from Shoppers. If anyone knows about Shoppers, they make the biggest donuts in the world. They advertise them as the Collossall donuts and each one is at least 3-4 inches long and 1-2 inches wide with enough filling (whatever you want) to choke on. They are absolutely delicious !!! Each one is a meal in itself!!! and the man brought home 12 of these monsters. I love him but....... TODAY of all days - the day I start my diet. I did have one with raspberry jelly inside, but that was lunch. Back to cleaning.... just needed to vent. Thanks.

I've asked my DH not to bring such things into the house. If he does, he must take them to work the very next day and keep them out of sight until they are out of the house. Or he can keep them in his car. It's winter now so they'd keep okay out there. He's very supportive and helps where he can.

Krystal I have the exact same problem!! I think I'm going to borrow your idea and do a hex for every day I'm OP. I am an instant gratification kinda gal so doing a hex everyday will keep me going. I have to get my yarn though. I was gonna do scraps but I think I want to do a purple one (like 2 different shades of purple). It'll be a blankie just for me! :lol

Arlinka, I'd have to kill my hubby for that one! lol

Gina: Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!! I quit 18 years ago - cold turkey-the only way to do it. I was a pack a day smoker and at one time smoked 3 pks a day. I smoked for 25 years before giving it up. IT IS HARD !!!!! I still to this day love the smell of second hand smoke but would never go back and start up again. A tip I used that helped me a lot= for the "hand to mouth and sucking" I used frozen pops. There are all different kinds but I found it was rewarding to suck on the pop and I reached for one whenever I wanted to reach for a cigarette. I even made my own from water w/lemon.

I'm very happy you decided to do this. GOOD LUCK and if I can help in any way send me a message. Or if you need someone to vent to - I'm here for you!!

Mamabear272: Yes, I will have to take him out in the back yard and throw those jelly and custard donuts at him !!!! :lol They certainly are big enough to do some damage!

Tia: Your hubby is a good man. Mine is too and he thought he was doing something nice. He didn't realize I was doing this weight loss thing. I made it perfectly clear that WE are on a diet together. He is 6'3 and 305 lbs. lots to love there !!! :hug

I'm doing good on my diet only one mess up. I'm doing South Beach and love it. I've got tons of energy since starting Monday. And I found a recipe for a phase 1 brownie:clap:clap:clap:clap. I love chocolate so I'm so happy.

Gina~:cheer:cheer Way to go on stopping smoking:clap:clap

Arlinka~ Oh no not donuts. I would have to kill my husband for it lol

I've been really monitoring my food portions, being good about the types of food I eat..........just turned !!50!! and I don't want to get any worse than I am. My DH, who is 62, has been in denial about needing to do anything about his sweet tooth and snacking. He had to put his current weight down on an MRI form and discovered that he has put on 9 pounds since mid-November.:eek

Thank goodness he decided for himself that he needed to do something because my trying to say anything to him about it would have caused him to eat even more sugary snacks! He has realized, and told me, that he has no self control and could I please not buy "that stuff" for him any more.:clap

I do have weight I need to lose but at this point it'll take exercise to move that scale.

I am a person of good intentions and poor follow through, so if no one has any objections, I'll do something on my "for me" project every day I get my butt out on a walk, no matter the distance.:crocheting

Don't know what my "for me" project is; I'll let you know.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

Happy Stitcher--that is a fantastic idea. I will make a square a day for each non-smoking day.I am happy to say right now-i owe myself TWO!!

Arlinka- i may take you up on a venting session one of these days. this is TOUGH!!

Krystal16-- i am currently using the patch...its hard to say if it is helping or not! But it can't hurt, thats for sure! at this point i will take all the help i can get!!

all i want to do is smoke. since i quit---i want eat...but when i eat, i want to smoke even worse!!!

I have weighed myself finally (and it wasn't pretty!!!) I am going to make a two or three squares for my afghan this weekend, so that I have an incentive to work at loosing weight. I'm always more motivated to work on a project that I've already started.

Ally- so tell me, how does the South Beach Diet work? Is is tough? I have the book..... have the book.... have had it for years.... never read it. Keep it in a drawer with my cook books. Never had to diet before. Now am on heart meds and blood pressure meds and keep gaining. Used to go to the gym.... health reasons stopped me and I can't get motivated to go back.

Gardener: I feel your pain. I am so disgusted with myself I can't seem to move to do anything about it. I have never been this heavy in my life!!

Venting is so good.........

I think I'm going to have to throw in making squares for exercising! I know that that is my weak point. Ugh. I haven't really done that in so long. I can stand for hours (I'm a hairdresser so I kind of have to!) but that's about all the working out I do during a day and I wouldn't really consider that working out at all! So, I figure for every half hour of exercise in, I can make a square. Maybe those squares will be the solid colors of the scrap ghan. That way it kind of plays into one another. You can't lose weight well without diet AND exercise, so I think that will be just perfect!

Also, now that I rejoined WW, I have been doing very poorly since the new year... well, yesterday. Ended up eating lots of greasy food yesterday since I kinda partied a little too much the night before and that's suppose to help. Thank goodness that only happens once a year for me. Never been a fan of alcohol much.

Today was half and half. I ate pizza and chocolate pastries for lunch, but for dinner had carrot soup! It was amazing. All veggies and some tofu. I'd be willing to share the recipe if anyone wants it.

Money's a bit tight for us this month so I think I'm going to try and mainly just watch it and use WW for hte recipes and help instead of points. We are going to Disneyland for our honeymoon at the end of the month and I don't want to feel so guilty everyday for eating at the park. I think my first goal this month is 5 lbs. Not the amazing achievement I want, but we don't really have the money for groceries and veggies this month. I can do it but it's just going to be really hard. We're checking out a place called produce Junction on monday. The girls at work say that they have pretty cheap fruit and veggies. LEt's hope they are right!

we may need venting sessions LOL about those things we miss the most (I want my chocolate) waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Janny

Janny, you don't have to give up chocolate! There are some awesome chocolate choices out there now! Three of my favorite are:

Fiber One Chocolate and Oats Bars = 2 WW points

South Beach Living Dark Chocolate Covered Soy Nuts = 2 WW points

and

Nestle's Cocoa Mix - Fat Free + Calcium = 2 cups for only 1 WW point!

YUM!

South Beach recipes transfer to WW pretty well. I have one of the SB cookbooks and I think most of the recipes are between 4-7 pts/serving.

Gina- YOU CAN DO IT!! :cheerI quit smoking 4 1/2 years ago (cold turkey) after seriously trying to quit 5-6 times. It's so worth it! Walk up and down a flight of stairs every time you consciously crave a smoke. Or go around the block. Endorphins will really help you get over the immediate craving. Plus as time goes on, you'll be able to go faster and longer than before. :D Or if you're stuck at work, drink a glass of water.

Krystal- I like your idea. I had been kicking around a similar idea, but now I think I'm going to do it. I'm going to make a square for each day that I run. And if I go both times tomorrow I get to make two! I had two glasses of champagne on New Year's Eve and my final vote on that stuff is that it is evil. :lol I think I'll do Happy's idea and make one for the running and one for the weight loss. I'm just hoping it actually comes off...

Here is a recipe for Orange Creamsicle Water:

1 gallon water

1/2 Orange sliced

1 vanilla bean split lengthwise or 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

Mix together. Refrigerate overnight, Enjoy!!!

Welcome KellieD! :hug I will add you to the list.

Boy I'm getting confused. I haven't been home much the last couple days and I'm getting a little lost. I want to make sure I have everybody on the list that wants to join. Some mention they are thinking about joining and some have posted and not mentioned whether or not they are joining.

So PLEASE if you aren't on the list and want to be, let me know.

...I'll be doing the yo-yo afghan...:)

:cheer I love that pattern! I'm anxious to see how yours turns out! :hook

Good morning all and Happy New Year! :yay

I've got the most terrible headache....and NO it's not a hangover :P we celebrated with sparkling cider. Hope I haven't caught hubby's cold.

Anybody have any New Years resolutions (besides the obvious)?

Hope you're feeling better Tia!

I don't make resolutions... I rarely keep them so if I don't make them there's no guilt! LOL

Diane - I think that is a good idea, to keep on going on your afghan if you are maintaining... :yes If I ever get to my goal weight, (or even lose for that matter), I think I will use that idea and have another afghan that is my "maintenance" afghan - as long as I am maintaining, I can do a round/row a week.... A very good idea, indeed!

I think it's a great idea too! Once I've reached my current goal I will "technically" still have more to go, but if I never reach my "ideal" weight I'm not worried about that. At my age who has time to worry about a few extra pounds! LOL But if I can at least maintain I will consider myself successful and will reward myself with some new wearables rather than another afghan :manyheart