2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

April that is awesome that you didn't gain back that 25 lbs.! I had lost 30 lb. two Christmas' ago and gained it all back by last Christmas. :( This past spring I started trying to lose again. I have one more pound to lose and that 30 lbs. is gone -- again.

It was hiking that helped the best. I slacked off when it got hot this summer.:P Can't really go on walks in this neighborhood. I live in the boon docks, no sidewalks, atv's whizzing down the streets, dogs that will come out and growl at you if you happen to be walking in front of 'their' house. :lol:eek

But I have an elliptical machine and I also get great exercise playing that Dance, Dance, Revolution game. Still...can't wait until I can go hiking again.

Does anybody have an exercise ball?

If so, do you like it? and WHERE do you keep it??

I've been considering getting one. They don't cost that much, and I NEED to do lots and lots of crunches. :P I keep seeing things that say the exercise ball is a more effective way of toning your core. My core needs all the help it can get! :lol

BUT if I get one, I'm not going to want to pump it up every day to use it. I can see me using that as an excuse not to use it regularly....after all, my core didn't get flabby because I'm so diligent, right? So where on earth would I keep a 65 cm exercise ball?? I can't think of a single place where it wouldn't be in the way. I read somebody's blog awhile back - I wish I remembered who - but she said she sits on it at the computer and to crochet. OK....but it's not like I'd want to keep it in the den as an extra chair.... I can see that it would be a good thing to have on hand, but short of sticking it to the ceiling, I don't know where I'd PUT the darn thing.

Any feedback?

Hmmm :think I've hear alot of buzz about this diet but don't know the details. Is there a website with the particulars, or do you have to buy the book?

I'm not sure if there is a website. I received the book from my MIL. My FIL has heart problems and his cardiologist suggested the South Beach diet for him and getting my FIL to eat anything besides pasta, breads and coke less than 5 times a week is a joke!:lol Yes, he is straight from Italy.

The basic concept is no unhealthy carbs or real sugar for the first 2 weeks. No fruits, fruit juices, etc. You eat lots of veggies, lean meats(turkey, ham, chicken) :hen:tdance:pigYou should drinks lots of water and decaf tea or coffee and veggie juice.

Week 3 you add in some fruits and whole wheat pastas, breads,etc.

I'm sure you get the picture. 30 min. or so of activity a day is recommended. Walking the mall, jogging in place, a few laps around the house...just keep moving.

I think it just a better way to live. I have heart disease and diabetes in my genetics. No better time than the present to be healthier.:yay

:lol...sticking an exercise ball to the ceiling...:rofl

How about on top of the washer....in a closet...in the attic....in the shed....in the crawlspace (our has a regular sized doorway)...in the basement....pull the sofa away from the wall a bit and put it behind the sofa....cover the dining room table with a large table cloth and put it under the table....:lol now I'm just getting silly....on top of the guest bed, or in a corner in an unused/little used room....actually hanging it from the ceiling in our basement is probably what I'd do!!!

I keep my exercise ball under the desk that the desktop computer is on. I can wedge it in there so it doesn't roll all over the living room. DH doesn't like to use it so if he's on the desktop he'll put it in the laundry room on top of the washer or dryer. I like the idea of sitting on while crocheting!

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1558+crochet+cable+afghan.htm

I think this is the afghan I want to make. I will have to figure out how many pounds per row or vise versa. I don't what color I want to make it in,yet.

I'll let you know once I really look over the pattern.

I updated the list. That's a beautiful afghan. I've never tried cables before, looks hard.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1558+crochet+cable+afghan.htm

I think this is the afghan I want to make. I will have to figure out how many pounds per row or vise versa. I don't what color I want to make it in,yet.

I'll let you know once I really look over the pattern.

I updated the list. That's a beautiful afghan. I've never tried cables before, looks hard.

So is losing weight..LOL! :lol I will try it..if I can't do it.:angry..I'll let you know.:yes

Thank you for heading up this CAL.:hug I see there are a lot of people in the same boat.

Good Luck everyone in ANY changes you make in your health and lifestyle for the better.:clover

We've been doing this cal a full week now! :yay There are 51 people on the list including myself.

I have patterns for everyone except the following:

losingmymind2

Pumpkinmouse

WendySue

Leslie

Nikka hotpinkpixy

likerussell

sunflowermom1972

HannahMae

home'scoolmama

OwlEyez

stargazingirly

Now there's no rush...just giving an update. Take your time and let me know when you pick your pattern...or if there is a mistake in the list.

Happy crocheting, exercising, and having a smoke free, healthy eating lifestyle! :yarn

Edited by Tia

Okay, I've decided that I DO want to make myself an exercise 'ghan. I will do this Chains and Diamonds quilt 'ghan. I'll do one square (actually their little saltines) for each half hour I exercise. I will use RHSS Soft Navy for the dark blue, haven't decided on the lighter blue and white/offwhite yet.

(Should we make this a Weight Loss/Exercise Afghan CAL? ;) )

Edited by Tia

(Should we make this a Weight Loss/Exercise Afghan CAL? ;) )

Isn't it more of a "Healthy Habits" CAL?

It makes no difference to me, though....whatever you call it, I'm glad you started it! It's fun already!

Thanks for the ideas about where to put the exercise ball..... I'm still not sure..... but maybe I could put it in the garage..... :think

Nobody said if you actually use it, though - do you use it? Does it work as well as the hype would lead us to believe? Well, probably nothing lives up to it's hype 100%, so do you think it's a worthy investment?

Thanks Tia, I think the main reason I was able to maintain was because I eliminated sugary drinks. I used to drink nothing but Coke and sweet tea... but then I had a diet orange sunkist one day that my daughter bought for me and OMG, I was in heaven!:c9 Orange is my favorite flaver for everything so it was easy to adjust. Now I don't like real sugar, I've gotten so used to the artificial sweeteners. ;)

I've been thinking about gettint the WII Fit (my son has the WII). It is really popular right now, but I haven't heard anything about how well it works...

I'm not sure if there is a website...

The basic concept is no unhealthy carbs or real sugar for the first 2 weeks. No fruits, fruit juices, etc. You eat lots of veggies, lean meats... think it just a better way to live. I have heart disease and diabetes in my genetics. No better time than the present to be healthier.:yay

Sounds kind of similar to the Atkins diet which I've followed before. It was actually kind of easy to follow. Amazon has the SB book for 7.99 so I might order it and give it a shot.

I think the most effective diet I was ever one, and certainly a very easy to follow because of how it was set up, was the Deal A Meal plan. I have long since lost my cards, but it was fool proof, when you were out of cards for the day you were done eating. LOL

:lol...sticking an exercise ball to the ceiling...:rofl

Too funny! I like the idea of putting it under a table. Hmmmm... I wonder if it would fit under an end table in the living room?

Congratulations to all who have lost weight !!!! I lost 1 lb and have kept it off. BUT I have not done anything to lose more. Unfortunately there are so many leftovers at the office from all the holiday presents we got that we are still eating them. They are all such expensive - and delicious- food gifts (candy, cakes, cookies) that it is a sin to throw them out. Also the weather is bad so I haven't gone out walking. OK, so these are excuses, but at least I kept off the 1 lb. I will try harder over the weekend. :embar

Sigh, I haven't done anything to lose yet either. I'm just beginning to nurse a new baby, so I'm having to fight the starving feeling I generally get when nursing.

But I haven't gained anything so that's good at least :)

Great job to all those that have lost!!!! :)

Congrats to everyone who's done it! I actually managed to stick to my diet today. I've decided to go mostly vegetarian, not cut out meat completely but just reduce it greatly so I have to eat more veggies and fruit. Let's hope this works.

I've actually upped my meat intake...lower fat chicken, turkey and bison....protein helps satisfy my hunger for longer, I've found. I also upped my vegetable and fruits. What I cut back on is carbs and dairy...especially cheese. I don't like most of the fat free stuff....I use 2% milk, 50% less fat cheddar and for the rest....an occasional extra small amount of the real stuff.

Edited by Tia

Ok! I have been here lurking since before the holidays. I have finally read through all the post and I am in! Tia, you can add me! As for my pattern, I am going to be putting together squares that I have had forever and not done a thing with. Some still have to be trimmed in a solid color. So I will actually have 2 afghans when I am done. An all purple squares ( a friendships square swap) and a varigated squares. So for every pound I loose I will attach a square. I have 100 lbs to loose. That will keep me busy!

As for my method, I am going to trim a square for every day I exercise and once a week when I weigh in (Mondays) I will hopefully be able to put some squares together!

I am also doing the Weight Watchers points. I find the days I am at work I do SO much better! The days I am home I just keep looking for food! Good thing I only have 2 days off per week! I recruited a fellow co worker to do the points with me. She will help me along b/c she will stick to it! So I don't know what my afghan can be called......any ideas? I'd like a catchy name....my first priority will be the purple friendship squares. Blocks of Hope????? All ideas are welcome!

PS. I started watching The Biggest Loser last night...THAT is ALWAYS an inspiration! Tues on NBC @ 8pm

I find The Biggest Loser a great inspiration too. I always set my dvr to record it, but haven't watched the first episode of the new season yet.

1.png

Edited by Tia

Morning. Sounds like everyone is getting started on their goals. That is awesome! I have now been smoke free for one week. Was using the patch for the first few days, but stopped...this will be my 3rd day without that. I have 6 squares done on the lionbrand sampler afghan, but I was looking at them last night, and they are all kinda...tilted. I dont mean they are un-even...cuz my stitch counts are correct. Its like they kinda pull to one side--they got the gangsta lean goin on i guess, lol..i wonder if blocking will help?

Well, i went to get dressed this morning, and could hardly button my khakis. THATS not a good sign..

I think for this weekend my goal will be to get on my dang treadmill!